What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Having just built a 350 ton launch rocket with a payload capacity of 10 tons to LEO, I tried a few ideas for a 700 ton rocket which ended up putting 25 tons (of really dense ballast) into a low orbit with a mere 5m/s to spare; when the engines have 0.2s of burn time left you know the margins are razor-thin. 25 tons should be enough to make a crewed Lunar flyby possible in one launch and a crewed orbit of the Moon with two,

2r47Fa6.png

I landed on Armstrong (kind of like minmus) yesterday in my current Beyond Home playthrough. To get jeb back home I put the lander in a lowish Rhode (kerbin) orbit, and transferred jeb and the experiments to an Apprentice crew transport for reentry.

Spoiler

XjgQSd8.png

vScVcBP.png

7P1qiZH.png

Also launched Oculi Station

Spoiler

uz6QFx3.png

VmYGtan.png

I made an unmanned data gathering trip to Mimnus.

The idea was to make a Drop-Pod that I could allow to fly all the way from Mimnus and back to Kerbin and just splash into the atmosphere rather than orbit first.0uMVfYX.png

See the full documented mission report here

Hope you like it.

D.

I was wondering if I could make my little sub go faster by giving it a bit more power.

Er. Well. This was not quite what I intended but

l5NvipK.jpg

It went to well above 20 m/s underwater but became a bit hard to control; eventually it breached and then just... kept going.  It is not at all well suited to being an aircraft but it really wants to.

Just finished up a trip to Eve. It took me three days, actually, but it couldn't have been done in any fewer, so sue me. :P

Spoiler

My plan was to land a 66 ton spaceplane. I vastly underestimated the amount of fuel it would take to push that much weight into low Eve orbit. These were two of several tanks of fuel burned along the way.

evepto1.png

Once there, I undocked a small orbiter module and went in on a steep entry. My plane can't take much heat, so I had to burn an additional 2000 dV to slow down. Note the yellow marker north of my entry point -- that's my target.

evepto2.png

The distant explosions in this picture are of the deorbiter rocket.

evepto3.png

In Eve's atmosphere, my plane flew well, but slowly. It took around three hours of flying at 2x to reach the yellow anomaly marker.

evepto4.png

Happy to be on the ground, I park and open the bay doors to release my compact rover. A hinge flips the rover out on to the hull of the plane, where it can drive/slide down. This thing doesn't handle anything like it did on Kerbin, but at least it drives.

evepto5.png

Fortunately my marker placement was spot on with the anomaly -- normally I have to drive all over to find it. After staking my claim at the monolith, I drove to the nearest lake of explodium to gather some science and take a nice cleansing swim. 

evepto6.png

After watching a movie or two, I found myself back at the equator. I had already practiced this ascent a few times in simulation, so I had no difficulties on my way up to orbit. First stage to 19km, second stage to 50km, third stage to orbit. I made it to 95km x 95km with 1200 dV left in reserve.

I opened the cargo bay and used the same hinge again to dock with the orbiter. After taking all of its fuel, I had over 3000 dV to get home with. A bit overkill, I think.

evepto8.png

evepto7.gif

1960-12-15 - Negi-2B launches to a polar orbit [modified RSS/RO]

hKfAWQr.png

Engineering Test Satellite "Neginohana," using solar panels for the first time, along with a small camera

O2Srxk3.png

1961-04-01 - Another launch carries the "Shinsei" satellite for cosmic ray and micrometeorite observation

gCT6xuE.png

1961-07-15 - Launch of the atmospheric analysis satellite "Aozora"

r01ABO5.png

15 hours ago, Daveroski said:

and just splash into the atmosphere rather than orbit first.

Eva kind of experience?

12 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

Er. Well. This was not quite what I intended but

Depth looks negative. Fit sub with altimeter and call it a day.

10 hours ago, InfernoSD said:

After taking all of its fuel, I had over 3000 dV to get home with. A bit overkill, I think.

There is nothing like overkill when going Eve. Its a surplus^^

1 hour ago, vv3k70r said:

She is about to burn them for sure

I have found that you can re-enter anything into Eve safely, if you simply use retro-thrust.  No shields; no fairings; no funny stuff.

I am currently sending 6 spent LKO boosters to Eve.  Once there, they will be refueled and then wait in LEO.  When a cargo arrives, one of these descent boosters will attach and then effect the de-orbit.

Slow to 2km/s for deorbit.  Slow to 1.2km/s by 70-75km.  Slow to 800m/s by 50km.  Booster separates.  Then payload uses airbrakes and chutes.  Wings if available.  Safe landing.  No fuss.

(See Venus Ascension and Force Majeure.)

Edited by Hotel26

1 hour ago, Hotel26 said:

I have found that you can re-enter anything into Eve safely, if you simply use retro-thrust.

Yes, thats a propper way.

1 hour ago, Hotel26 said:

No shields; no fairings; no funny stuff.

For rover I reserve fairings - they caries lot of bad aerodynamic that is expensive if fall off.

I plan to aerobrake using Jool^^

I docked spider crane and loosed its crap robotics, but it didnt help to exploding issues with 1.11

ED5850BB14E56435ABF9AADC27B05F627FB917C7

because of floating nodes:

BF3089709E7E3E9B1BA90F05D7CB47FD191A410E

So I turn to KIS/KAS that is not issueing such an issue and rebuilded one leg to stiff without robotics. Because it took over one hour to finish one leg I dumped all the parts in space and teleported fixed spider crane to orbit erasing parts and old crane in tracking station.

Then two tankers have met in orbit, this in front caried all those rockets already conected to second one:

19DB822FC4EDCFFA911416FE3264C710820B94F8

Docking of 5 crafts one after another took a while:

44D204B0030E3E877EB25AD4C348C3A5028ED626

especialy that not all of them have manovering aplications, some of them are build from scraps on da Mun.

I took a science exploit trip on da Mun (I'm revisiting all places with all science instruments this time, by rocket - first time I used Mun Cake roller with Bob inside to do this all around da Mun). And because trips are longer and longer from fuel mine I have to circularize orbit saving on altitude:

0C56EB45B14B939FAB5333A41236D011F11CEE96

Call it an orbit:

D9FA0836C51E310FFF21A63EA82C5258A6875A1B

Landing in dark using lights to determine orientation to the ground:

849BCF04CF91CB345E4DDB590286BAF26013364F

Pasing first landings site when I dint know anything about rovers in game and crawled mobile lab 1m/s uphill between craters:

B9BA7FDA15BFF09A2D02E2DDA7C7FAD59DB4D481

Preparation for Moho:

E6FE551BE69C2632BCAE165D5947E36C3647644D

Window opens in 68 days so this one is about to get conected to hauler with big tank (of course nuke drive). It carries 3 rockets with comunication to plant a constalation, 4th with one less antena but with survey scanner. And some capsules with tourist expecting holidays on Minmus, Mun or whatever they would - they are about to be picked up by rockets docked to tanker.

I wonder how is it about holidays in soviet capsule that at the and is about to be tossed for aerocapture on Kerbin.

There is also some extra stuff for engineering vessel. And one small vessel to move things around the ship.

I expect good conection:

259BE6CACB1C82B46B0C2C4FC240C340D4FC4DC7

Edited by vv3k70r

21 minutes ago, Cavscout74 said:

The only time you can have too much fuel is if you're on fire. 

13 hours ago, vv3k70r said:

There is nothing like overkill when going Eve. Its a surplus^^

Haha. Well I made it back to Kerbin SOI with 2200 still remaining, so then I did a vertical landing on Kerbin because why not.

Huh, new page! It's legal for me to post another update! Anyways...

First order of business was assembling another EV for Eve and Gilly, the EV-4 Tempest:

*montage music*

8oHgbuv.png

eKruwbA.png

JW4Dfe5.png

fCWoAOv.png

jRDde7r.png

Z3Kkwht.png

Z1cr1sY.png

JVkZFRB.png

oAMRyQp.png

And... done. The Tempest has 7772 m/s of delta-v unladen, which means about 6500 m/s after I send up the Gilly lander.

Now, a rational person would design the Gilly lander next. But I'm not a rational person. So I made this abomination:

U6Ujpv6.png

Basically my version of the Soyuz + my version of the Proton. Proton-Soyuz, or in other words, Komrade II-Glushko (The original Komrade/Soyuz launches on the Korolev/Soyuz rocket. But c'mon, that sucks. Then we have this.)

EOXyMLx.png

It's been a while since I've launched anything from Kojave Sands, which, in my headcanon, is the Von Kerman empire's launch site. But since I was busy doing all of the Duna missions for the Kerman space program, I forgot to get around to the Von Kermans. Oh well, I guess the Von Kerman empire collapsed or something. It's the CCKP now.

5wuvOha.png

The desert certainly is nice-looking, that's for sure. Definitely better than the old desert shaders.

lktiHON.png

X2hLftl.png

l6co1xp.png

nodzIx1.png

tDuXFAG.png

Booster separation was so quick I couldn't get a screenshot of it at the proper camera angle. I tried out a new concept with these boosters: instead of having just one angled Separatron at the top, I had that and 2 seperatrons on the side. That's probably the standard for most of you, but I'm lazy. It looks like not-lazy paid off though, so I'm definitely doing this for future lifter designs.

Qkrz1vC.png

xuiUc0F.png

JhYDeNU.png

3DltdDv.png

Stage separation was also quick. Note to self: Only add 4 Separatrons instead of 8.

P7cIevv.png

W75Dcc0.png

And... holy cow! We made orbit with almost a full second stage. That's also a double-edged sword though. If you try to use all of it's capacity, once the boosters separate the core stage TWR will be something like 0.5, when it's already 0.98 just for this. Not good news. I'm going to add 8 verniers on the bottom instead of 4 for the next launch.

hPpldI8.png

Yes.

bHRt111.png

Look at it! I definitely think it's an improvement over the original Komrade. 

(Picture for comparison)

ni2btXI.png

If you can't tell, the original Komrade only had a single Spark engine, whereas this has 3 Goldfish engines from NFLV. This extra TWR will be useful for the [classified] Program to land on the [classified].

Oyn1epu.png

Realplume is the best.

dHnagUD.png

Here we are! Just to test out it's abilities, we rendezvous(-ed?) with an old Von Kerman station. Sadly, it doesn't have a spare docking port. You can see the old Komrade attached to it. Anyways, I'm going to be retiring this station soon.

lGqvWtH.png

On this new iteration, I used a stack separator instead of docking ports. Much quicker.

VVfBDkL.png

zPNYgkL.png

And... Oh no. We're coming over just east of the Crater.

PQWmAo2.png

mL0iJcv.png

Stress Level: >1000

R6de8my.png

Phew... the parachutes opened in time.

z9Zxpnx.png

Why do we even need floats on the side of a mountain? Idk, but it looks cool.

wp0pfSs.png

And... landed. That was a nerve-wracking experience, but the view was worth it for sure.

Next Time... Building more EVs! That's right. We're sending 2 to Duna this time, a crewed one, and a Cargo one that can actually carry a decent base and rover.