What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

i was able to get KSP downloaded onto the Mac, which is the beefiest computer we own. Dad immediately broke the game with some of the rockets he built and imported from his laptop, since his laptop wasn't strong enough to render them in flight. Turns out there's a reason for that.

He put 168 engines on a single stage.

I also started a science sandbox game and so far i have:
-orbited Mun and brought back some science
-orbited Minmus and brought back some science and had to do the mission over after I botched the reentry and had Bob burn up along with the science
-put a relay satellite in high polar orbit around Mun
-grabbed an asteroid

I managed to intercept the asteroid on a test flight before i had unlocked the RCS thrusters, though i reverted that as it was for practice. Next stop is landing on Mun, building a rover to harvest Science from the KSC, and figuring out how the dang robotics work.

I'm also working on a meme flag that should be finished... uh.... hmmm.

I did it! Took a quite a bit of practice and a few redesigns, but on the "real" run I dropped Laythe Station right in the target zone, about a kilometer from the rest of my stuff. 

y6HY8Mt.jpg

Controlled atmospheric entry, with landing zone controllable by use of airbrakes.

iYnvnXS.jpg

The transfer stage with the airbrakes has been jettisoned and parachutes deployed...

jXshUV6.jpg

...and there goes the fairing.

ccL7lTx.jpg

Terminal velocity with the 'chutes is about 30 m/s, so a touch of retro rockets is needed for a soft landing.

Ne9JQEm.jpg 

Touchdown! You can see some other craft of Laythe Kosmodrome in the distance...

After lighting the retro rockets one last time and jettisoning them, some EVA construction work got the base nicely levelled, and everything is working tip-top. The relay dish isn't quite strong enough to reach KSC on its own; a satellite would come in handy...

auFIeja.jpg

I haven't played KSP in a week or two because I have had problems with Tweakscale because I messed with the GameData folder (See my other topic-Named: Tweakscale Troubles-Please help!!!:What should my GameData folder contain?),  but before that I made things like a "Kiebherr";)(Liebherr) KTM 1120-4.1 mobile crane, with the help of Breaking Ground, Tweakscale, and KAS. I also made a truck, and some gantry cranes. I was also working on a Saturn V replica, using the Making History DLC.  My KTM 1120-4.1 is available on the Steam workshop, as well as a KerbaLift KFL 300 forklift.

Edited by Ben J. Kerman
No raisin (Only Futurama fans will understand)

9 hours ago, Misguided Kerbal said:

No worries, as they are all stored on an invention known as the 'computer'

You'll be pleased to know, Monsieur Misguided Kerbal, that your sense of humor just checked out fine and you are in good health.  :)

Live long and prosper, dude.

Oh, wow! I completely missed this series and now can highly recommend it. Moon landing in the late 50’s and plans for Mars in 1961? That’s completely mental! If you noticed your sub count go up, that’s me.

7 minutes ago, Lewie said:

@Misguided Kerbal what mod adds those boot prints?

19 minutes ago, STORMPILOTkerbalkind said:

Built a stock replica IL-28, then launched another module to my new station preforming my first orbital rendezvous/docking! However I have no clue how to post Steam screenshots here so I can’t show :(

You might be able to simply copy the link to the image (not the viewer, it should have a .png or .jpg suffix) into the post editor. If not, export it (can’t imagine Steam wouldn’t let you do it) to an image hosting site like Imgur and upload the link as above.

4 hours ago, The Destroyer said:

Technically not today (forgot to post here), but I finished editing my mission to Mars & a few other things two days ago.

Oh, wow! I completely missed this series and now can highly recommend it. Moon landing in the late 50’s and plans for Mars in 1961? That’s completely mental! If you noticed your sub count go up, that’s me.

10 minutes ago,  Lewie said: 

@Misguided Kerbal what mod adds those boot prints?

22 minutes ago,  STORMPILOTkerbalkind said: 

Built a stock replica IL-28, then launched another module to my new station preforming my first orbital rendezvous/docking! However I have no clue how to post Steam screenshots here so I can’t show :(

You might be able to simply copy the link to the image (not the viewer, it should have a .png or .jpg suffix) into the post editor. If not, export it (can’t imagine Steam wouldn’t let you do it) to an image hosting site like Imgur and upload the link as above.

——————————————

Uhhhh.... the above post is a mess. Ignore formatting, and repeating myself, I can’t edit it now.

Made a small amount of progress in my career - 2nd geosynchronous comm relay and a little exploring with aircraft, nothing too exciting - the new launcher developed for the relay is going to make a big difference to my career - with the 1.875m tanks unlocked, the 1.25m LH2 engine (and a pair of Shrimp SRB's to give it a little push off the pad) gives me over 4200 m/s in the first stage, the most of anything I've made so far in this career.

Val exploring in the PropStar - the jet engines are just around the corner, but the PropStar is still the best for now.  Everything was fine until her compass started acting erratic.....

Yde3Yrjh.png?1

Spoiler

Being forewarned by Jeb's experience, Val stayed clear of clouds and landed visually on the small island, finding another of the strange monoliths

cJOcyTjh.png?1

Since my hyrdolox 1.25m launcher was the Cryo-Jabbit, I guess the 1.875m hydrolox will be the Fat Cryo-Jabbit. 

xDyJExSh.png?1

The orbital stage pushed the Ap to 8986 km and then the Pe to about half that before running out of fuel and leaving the monoprop thrusters on the satellite to finish the job.

ncoCdlxh.png?1

GeoComm-2A was allowed to orbit twice in its 8986x4000km orbit to allow better spacing with the existing GeoComm-1.  I actually ran out of time before I could finish circularizing

IsvH0Nrh.png?1

On 1/24/2021 at 6:07 AM, KevinW42 said:

Decided to give interplanetary SSTOs a try. I had exactly enough fuel to stick the landing on the first refueling stop on the Mun.

lmIDhF1.png

KBgIxlm.png

After taking this thing to Laythe I decided to do an (assisted) grand tour. I forgot to take screenshots for a lot of it, but here's what I got:

Spoiler

Laythe:

7ch37iT.png

Docked with the Tylo lander (launched separately):

MPZkzwf.png

After finishing with the Jool system I had another zero fuel landing on Duna:

y7MWfz1.png

After a stop on Ike I went and had some fun with the Dres canyon. Passed within 19m of terrain at orbital speed on the approach:

GhvawWj.png

BVsM3sS.png

Forgot to take pictures at Eeloo. After Eeloo did another refueling stop on Ike, then went on to Minmus:

Cl0lOU7.png

Met up with a separately launched Eve lander:

bdrLE7X.png

The lawn dart:

X0AOAew.png

On the surface:

uh2n6vn.png

Back to orbit with delta V to spare!

mRtpGgZ.png

After landing on Gilly I docked with an extra fuel tank for the Moho transfer:

rjPZw6B.png

Forgot to take pictures at Moho, but anyway back at KSC!

EOI7YO9.png

Because I didn't really plan ahead I ended up taking kind of a weird route. It went Kerbin-Mun-Laythe-Vall-Pol-Bop-Pol-Tylo-Pol-Duna-Ike-Dres-Eeloo-Ike-Minmus-Eve-Gilly-Moho-Gilly-Kerbin.

Today I tried out KSP on my new laptop for the first time, and goddamn is it working good. I've only slapped on a few mods so far, but already I've managed to build two SSTE (Single-Stage-To-Everywhere) spacecraft elegantly named "Untitled Space Craft" and "Untitled Space Craft 2", and I sent them off on a course for Jool since the planets were already lined up and there was no reason not to.

Spoiler

20210212233945_1.jpg

20210212234146_1.jpg

20210212234342_1.jpg

20210212234756_1.jpg

20210212234811_1.jpg

20210213000608_1.jpg

20210213000735_1.jpg

20210213001215_1.jpg

20210213001232_1.jpg

Edited by ChrisSpace

Performed some refactoring of my Titan fuel tanker, discovering the 3.7m decoupler (duh) and an opportunity to jettison another set of tanks.

The final stage in LKO has nearly 120,000 kallons of fuel or about 8.25 of the big S3-14400 tanks (+ 750 kallons of MP).

2b4KiZk.png

I have to do the shake-out with e.g. docking tests, etc, before I post it to KerbalX but I'm pretty happy with the evening's work.

LF: 53,551  OX: 65,452  MP: 750

Edited by Hotel26

First mun landing in my new Kerbalism save

8RAD6h1.png

ugfc0lz.png

(The red stuff is the surface feature finder in the cheats menu)

then when I got back an Investor was waiting for a tour, after which he would fund a space hotel. Took him to see the sights and discovered this:

yeJ3xeZ.png

Sadly I didn't find a new easter egg, the Tardis is an easter egg in kerbal konstructs.:sob:

I135uLZ.png

WV6R5JQ.png

IGHTi7M.png

Anyway... the investor saw the admin building which hasn't been upgraded at all. 

S1Ze3nr.png

Then he climbed up on the R&D bridge (level 2) to see the sights

W2pu3Ua.png

He's a big fan of Jeb and tried to jump off the bridge like Jeb did, but forgot to open his parachute.

NCAPiHG.png

And Bob played a little golf with him. Bob won (he has lots of practice because of the EVA science kit)

H7Hyfev.png

Finally completed my 1200 tonne interplanetary mothership. Main propulsion is the massive sail at the front - the Medusa nuclear pulse drive with ~55km/s dV. For manouvers smaller than one ~22m/s pulse, there are 3 auxillary Liberator gas -core NTRs , with an extra 3.6km/s dV. It is now ready to head off to Laythe with 10 crew, an SSTO and a mobile floating base.

Spoiler

Full tanker coming in from the APU factory on Minmus and approaching the ITV. Don't mind the spooky floating head in the bottom right corner, this game has the weirdest glitches XD

wmmhUgr.png

Final Approach

OUupXME.png

Better look at the ship in the editor (note that this is a slighly earlier version):

J9FjLWZ.png

BGXwFVk.png

The 150T payload:

Spoiler

Colibri SSTO with VTOL capabilites and a capacity of 8 crewtI7UbsY.png

^This thing will transport the crew down to the Caiman carrier/floating base, which is hidden in the orange fairing at the back of the Medusa:fvQgm1i.png

The main mods here: Stockalike Project Orion, Kerbal Atomics, KPBS, SSPX, Near future mods and TU recolour depot.

Edited by Apelsin
typo

Started tinkering with a design for something I've never attempted before. Here's the WIP:

1XsaTcw.jpg

I'm thinking of giving it a submarine bay with a little sub. I'm not sure if it's Scatterer or some other mod that does it but the sea is pretty rough; in any case it would need some gadgets to help grab the sub if precise docking isn't possible...