What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I did a little exploring on Kerbin between tourist flights

PpcpXhlh.png?1

Hmmm, I wonder what that speck is on that island.....

veOs2iyh.png?1

Spoiler

uQJ5JI5h.png?1

ptFcVtVh.png?1

My current JNSQ tourist launcher hauls 3 tourists and a pilot to LKO and back, but it hardly cheap - which leaves my tourist flights barely making a profit.

HFUzA95l.png?1

H7vb5JFl.png?1

jh5dX7Gl.png?1

KcUpHjHl.png?1

I also tinkered with an automated craft with 4 passengers, costs almost 10k less than the piloted version.  The only gridfins I have unlocked aren't big enough to stabilize reentry when I lose signal.  It did survive (except one grid fin) but I don't yet trust it to put tourists in

PePoqLnl.png?1

smrqVaul.png?1

MqhvosBl.png?1

44 minutes ago, Triop said:

Remember me ?

What @The Doodling Astronaut said. :)

I just came back to KSP meself under a week ago.  Going through past stuff, went to see what you've been up to.   And said....

"Damn.  @Triop hasn't been around for a while.  Damn."

But you're back!

2 minutes ago, Triop said:

I regret to tell you I'm not back.

I don't have a PC that can run the game anymore. ;.;

Ummmm....

This one?  No, not enough.

Spoiler

This one.  Barely enough.

Spoiler

That sucks dude.

Here's hoping you get a KSPable computer soon. :)

32 minutes ago, Triop said:

I regret to tell you I'm not back.

I don't have a PC that can run the game anymore. ;.;

Oof wish I can send mine to you. I need to see some sweet looking cars

9 hours ago, FleshJeb said:

I like to use a deployable hydrofoil forward of the CoM. It will reduce the area of skin in contact with the water and give you a higher AoA, leading to higher speeds and an easier liftoff. It's a reasonable approximation of the "stepped" hull on a real-world seaplane.

Yeah I use those too! I tried them on the Manta but it didn't do much in this case, in fact it made things a little worse as it made it want to pitch forward more at the start of the acceleration, which meant the water take-off got more finicky. -- Anyway, I did a few more refinements and I am now super happy with it. It has no trouble operating from water with the Scatterer wave collisions enabled, on Kerbin or on Laythe, and the power delivery feels just right -- at 13 degrees pitch it gives a smooth acceleration from standstill to about 65 m/s, with the biggest shove just when it's most needed. Top speed is about 310 m/s around 2000 m altitude on Kerbin, since I downgraded the engines it's RPM limited at lower altitudes, but I wasn't able to get it to go any faster than that even with the full-power engines. Now it has great endurance too, it'll cruise along happily at over 200 m/s at about quarter throttle, which makes a few dozen units of Lf/Ox go a loooong way.  

I've played with hydroplanes before and they're a really interesting challenge because there are so many different things to balance. The engines have to stay out of the water, it has to not do cartwheels on landing or take-off, it has to be able to accelerate in a more or less straight line even with waves pummelling it from all directions, it has to have enough power to get out of the water... and on top of that, it has to work as an aeroplane too. I think this is the first one I've ever made that feels like it makes no compromises in any of those areas. It's really nice to fly at all speeds from < 40 m/s to > 300 m/s, it's stable but agile and just... works. Plus it looks unique, which is a nice bonus.

20 minutes ago, Dafni said:

hey, I didnt even know this was a thing! cheers!

I only found out about it now when doing my marine engineering. I didn't remember things bouncing around so much, and it turns out they didn't.

7 minutes ago, purpleivan said:

I was scrolling down the page and the back of that car caught my and and I thought "ah... Triops back" :happy:

Alas, not completely.  Read some more and you'll see he currently doesn't have a computer capable of running KSP.

We will have to wait and hope. :)

5 hours ago, JorgeCS said:

I've been trying to replicate the Perseverance expected landing in my RSS install. Have big problems with the aerobraking... or lack of it :D 

Try lithobreaking. Never fails! :sticktongue:

5 hours ago, JorgeCS said:

Just hope the real thing does it as expected 2h later today!

It did. :) 

Just now, Lisias said:

Try lithobreaking. Never fails! :sticktongue:

It did. :) 

Já sei :D  hahahaha! I was not expecting a rapid unplanned disassembly anyway, but hey, that happened in the past already... ;) 

And lithobraking with RUD, yeah, it works for me eeeeverytime hahaha! I actually don't know if it is because of realistic atmospheres not being installed in this instance, or what... but the damned thing doesn't stop!! I can barely open the drogue chute! :D 

I hit two major milestones in my JNSQ career today - first crewed flight to the Mun and first probe launched to another planet.  Plus a few test flights and some pesky tourists

Launch abort test of the Dawn MPV (Multi-Purpose Vehicle)

jiEzCfvl.png?1

First launch of the full Dawn MPV - this was supposed to be a 5-day test in HKO, but problems with the fuel cell (or more specifically, the hydrogen supply) caused this to be about a 9 hour test ending in an emergency reentry probably less than 10 minutes of fuel remaining for the fuel cell

t6wIG8mh.png?1

After the mishap with the fuel cell, a pair of small fixed solar panels are fitted to future Dawn MPV's and a pair of larger folding panels are added to the upper stage, with the fuel cell being relegated to backup power.

psKIiL3h.png?1

I also managed to get a trio of relays into ~120 degree orbits around Kerbin at 750km so I can hopefully stop losing signal with my unmanned craft in LKO

9MsN36ol.png?1

Argo-Duna-1 coasting towards interplanetary space.  It won't arrive at Duna till some time next year.  I haven't made it to JNSQ Duna yet, so I'm looking forward to seeing it up close

R6ubHJJh.png?1

Meanwhile, Val & Ambera became the first kerbals to orbit the Mun, then performed a rendezvous & docking with the previously launched crew lander before returning home.  Jeb & Kelrik will get the honors for first landing

KYOSrbTh.png?1

FqybWfOh.png?1

PmfEQZlh.png?1

io8kJdih.png?1

They made it home safe, but there wasn't much margin of error - just 48 m/s remaining after leaving the Mun.  Future launch vehicles will have the boosters stretched slightly and a few other minor changes that should give slightly more dV for Mun missions.

ejSeS1zh.png?1

23 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

really interesting challenge because there are so many different things to balance

Orbits are this gorgeous ballet, but you only have to know about 10 things, and you have months to correct errors. Interfaces between mediums are where excrements gets really exciting--The margins are thin, and if your engineering is bad, death is instant.

23 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

feels like it makes no compromises in any of those areas

Amazing feeling, isn't it?

If you're up for the challenge, you should try building one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-90_Orlyonok Getting it to fly nicely with the takeoff jets turned off was not easy.