What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

There is something that I always wanted to see in with the new texture revamps. So in my recent video ,we go over a brief look at each of the UNIQUE STRUCTURAL easter eggs. I will have a video on monoliths soon and other references

Space colonized and mined, airplanes done, hydroplanes become perfect.

But Kerbals need cars. And this car is ment to  deliver for Colonizators & Conquerors Of The Entire Space they famous way of living. Mean  at least 4 wheel drive and the rover have to flip on wheels after roll (by turning reaction wheels from SAS to normal) and of course be uncrashable.

Started with that:

2C216B93CD992ED502257503D37C2A69B3076165

I roll back corectly:

6FF457EF794D7CBBBC37DB3FA0A3D7ABC5F153D1

But it is not big enough for a proper greenneck. This power platform should do:

E930ECEE11617B2B644BC073BFD6F7E02705C483

And can swim:

3CC0BDE0B3E46F2E5A8716722D832D546D041703

It makes it very usefull on bodies that have fluid && atmosphere (do we have any body with fluid and no atmosphere?). Max speed around 80m/s on wheels plus those tiny proppelers. Can build same steel around for crashing but... I have to find any use for this extremaly stable rover. For now we stay with planes and rockets. For our new, better way of living - cars looks obsolete. Everyone should have a rocket in garage.

I had time and managed another session of playtime with KSP 1.11.1.
Lots of things and not much things happened at the same time.

I did some orbital ballet between 3 ships around Kerban, to reconfigure my Kerbin SoI cruiser "Explorer II" into something that would get it to Duna (to fetch the crew after their takeoff, in a while).
So I sent a refueler, who had too much fuel on it, so I made it part of the vessel.  I also replaced the upper assembly of said Explorer II (it's made of a crewed/return capsule top section, a middle science/utilities section, and an Engine section.  The assembly replaced the top 2).
Then I sent it to Duna, which proved very challenging as the map Maneuver node fed me lies for like, 45min... I trusted my guts and got a Duna encounter in like 1½ KSP years.  I knew the computer was playing with me again, no matter how much Delta V, it never gave me an encounter...
Sadly I took no pics of the Explorer II... I promise I will post a pic or 2 when it gets to Duna.

Then  I switched to the Duna rover, it was already Pitch Black :
W8bmLjr.png

So I furled the radiator mast and brought the drill back in, and cruised North (yeah had gone too much East) while listening to "The Martian -- Crossing Mars" in loop from youtube.
Then about 90km away I finally stumbled onto Duna's Northern Shelf, which means I'm getting nearer to the poles.

VpeoYcV.png
Bob went out to take care of the science and plant a flag.  Since there is no connexion to KSP at the moment, we filled the 4 science containers and the cockpit with stuff to be transferred later.

Then I drove another 30ish km North into the darkness, started the generator to refill the batteries, and stopped for the day.
Thanks for reading !

After running into headaches yesterday trying launch abort tests on a KV-2 pod, I decided to skip those and try an unmanned orbit test.  All went well and put the "Orb-L" into a 160km equatorial orbit.  Then performed a deorbit burn & upon hitting the upper atmosphere I staged away the KV-2......

0jso8j5h.png?1

sQbHJxCh.png?1

... and it seemed to drift away like things normally do when staged in vacuum or near vacuum.  Except after getting through the hot part, I look up........

GfPIDDth.png?1

And there is my trusty orbital stage, flying 173m above me through the entire reentry with nothing exploding (and this is JNSQ not stock, stuff explodes during reentry)

r5MV4d4h.png?1

It even followed me to splashdown, where it parked 447m above the splashed down KV-2. 

6W0qzT3h.png?1

Next up was another orbital rescue, bringing my kerbonaut corps up to 7

tXYNTsKh.png?1

Then a Mun orbit test of the Orb/KV-2 was launched

7NhAIYsh.png?1

And finally, redesigned my 4-seat automated tourist vehicle for a (hopefully) safer reentry.  Too bad I couldn't find out - one of the SRB's had a decoupler failure halfway through the SRB burn, and impacted the core rocket as it departed resulting in further explosions.  The unmanned capsule survived & was recovered

qSImLvch.png?1

In a previous mission, I sent Jeb to Duna in 120 hours. the mission was a great success. I just forgot about one tiny thing: Jeb didn't have a ride back home..

After getting several complaints on the matter, I decided to whip up an express rescue mission and get him back home...
Since this was a rescue mission, we had to go fast! So I built a pretty large vessel (2,600 tonnes; 36 km/s delta v) and flew straight towards Duna!
The rescue ship was able to pick up to Jeb in 31 day and  it took another 51 day to get him back home. This is certainly not as fast as the previous mission, but that's partly because the alignment of the planets wasn't optimal when the rescue ship was sent.

The mission was very fun to perform and surprisingly easier than I thought. Although I would have had a hard time doing it if I didn't have the Trajectory mod at my disposal. ;)

I made a 4 minute video of the mission, if anybody's interested.

Is it just me, or is the General Discussion section of the forum broken? I get a 500 error any time I click on a link to that particular forum, but not any other section, and I got here by clicking the direct link to this thread; it's happened to me before on a tablet but is happening pretty consistently now on PC.

In more KSP-related news, I threw a cluster of missions at Mars: an orbiter-lander combo for Mars itself plus orbiter/lander pairs for Phobos and Deimos. If you thought Gilly was small, Phobos and Deimos have orbital velocities below 5m/s!

1 hour ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Is it just me, or is the General Discussion section of the forum broken? I get a 500 error any time I click on a link to that particular forum, but not any other section, and I got here by clicking the direct link to this thread; it's happened to me before on a tablet but is happening pretty consistently now on PC.

If you're referring to the "General KSP" section

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/forum/3-general-ksp/

or the KSP Discussion forum within it

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/forum/32-ksp-discussion/

they both work for me at this time.

1 hour ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

In more KSP-related news, I threw a cluster of missions at Mars: an orbiter-lander combo for Mars itself plus orbiter/lander pairs for Phobos and Deimos. If you thought Gilly was small, Phobos and Deimos have orbital velocities below 5m/s!

Cool!

today I haz been mostly..

watching Mechjeb fail to reach orbit, several times, in a craft even I can get to orbit, not had a problem in 1.10 so suspect is just one of them things.

also watched mechjeb tell me I was orbiting Eve when orbiting Kerbin and refuse to plot a transfer node, then when it did plot one it utterly failed to execute it properly (as in Pe ended up near the orbit of Moho failed)

after that I thought "meah" and put the same craft into Eve orbit myself manually, it lacks the fuel to get back but thats a muck up on my part

3 hours ago, Leopard said:

today I haz been mostly..

watching Mechjeb fail to reach orbit, several times, in a craft even I can get to orbit, not had a problem in 1.10 so suspect is just one of them things.

also watched mechjeb tell me I was orbiting Eve when orbiting Kerbin and refuse to plot a transfer node, then when it did plot one it utterly failed to execute it properly (as in Pe ended up near the orbit of Moho failed)

after that I thought "meah" and put the same craft into Eve orbit myself manually, it lacks the fuel to get back but thats a muck up on my part

You could have reported this in the MechJeb topic and provided logs so @sarbian could have perhaps figured out what happened.

I've been playing a 1.7.3 world, Orbit, since January, 2018.  I have an iron-clad no-warp-past-30m rule, so it's moving at about the same pace as NASA.  Footholds on Gilly and Ike, so far.  :)

I booted up a parallel, 1.7.3 world, Splice, a couple of weeks back.  So breezy to run a world with only a few craft.  Anything that doesn't go well gets torpedoed immediately.  Debris is fine.  Missing Kerbals??  "We have no record of that."  Warp speed ahead.  (I have to watch the old habits carefully, though!)

I have 3 ships in the final orbit for Moho, all looking good.  (One of those slid by as close as 67,000 km with Moho in plain sight but I wisely elected to go the extra orbit to get actual capture.)

Jool and Duna transfers open up in between arrival at Moho, though.  So I am preparing a brace for Jool.

Here's JT1 Tetrahedron, a relay ship [in the background], about to get a get a final top-up of fuel from KC1 Crab:

8G4mypc.png

I fit everything out with 2.5m docks as standard, but the Tetrahedron in the background has no docks exposed.  The Crab will use its Spear to accomplish the dock.

It's always so finicky to dock two largish ships with a claw, though, don't you find?    [Click & Arrows for comic strip]

g12YvWY.png   FZL0eko.png   JninGKP.png   lW0orcq.png   uaParhn.png

"So Spear detaches from the scrum...  It goes deep...  WHERE'S Defense?!!   aaand... Touch Down; right around CoM!"

With Spear docked with the target, it is commanded to "adopt the pose", docking port facing the Crab supply ship.  The Crab slides down the "fire pole"...

VZh13qF.png   6jPc6XB.png   Q9ZIkIr.png

Only two large tanks to fill and the infusion of rocket lifeblood is all over in a minute.  Crab retains plenty to return home to KX1 Egg space station.

Oh, yeah.  Why is this new, parallel, 1.7.3 world called Splice, I hear you ask?  Very good question.

Stay tuned.

Edited by Hotel26

15 hours ago, Jacke said:

You could have reported this in the MechJeb topic and provided logs so @sarbian could have perhaps figured out what happened.

Or, I could just play the game, if people want logging and bug reporting from normal game players its easy build the logging and reporting into the damned game.

I have no idea where the log files would be, how to extract the appropriate bits etc either - nor do I fancy creating yet another log in for an online bug reporting tool for the main game - just add it, the ability to open a menu and say "report bug", screen shot with maybe a very basic tool for annotations, a box to enter some text and away you go.

you want bug reports, make reporting them easy

1 hour ago, Leopard said:

Or, I could just play the game, if people want logging and bug reporting from normal game players its easy build the logging and reporting into the damned game.

The logging is built into the game.  The reporting isn't automatic for various reasons, personal privacy among them.  Any change in that is up to Squad.

But Squad details how to go about finding the logs, as the first link in my signature details.  Mod authors can do little to properly track down bugs without good details of how the bugs were encountered and the logs to give them the details around what actually happened inside the program.

You can curse the darkness.  Or take the steps to light a candle.  You have to work with the system as it is.

Edited by Jacke

Sent up the first permanent Mun base in my modded career save: a SpaceDust telescope observatory. It's located on the far side of the Mun. The ridge in the background is the large equatorial canyon.

XKavpfM.png

Normally I deploy these as satelites around Kerbin, but I figured this would be more fun, as well as provide longer exposure periods because of the mun's slow rotation. The base has a crew of 4, greenhouse, lab, nuclear reactor and return lander - standard stuff. Each telescope has 2 motors for looking around which isn't actually necessary, just a bit more realistic.

0nzT0ck.png

Edited by Apelsin

I got quite a bit done over the weekend - first, figured out why the KV-series pods were doing weird things when staging in 1.11.1.   Now the LES actually works & the spent stage doesn't get drug through reentry with the pod:

7EoMFVpl.png

U5rRunel.png

Then my career first JNSQ manned Minmus landing.  Actually, my first ever JNSQ manned Minmus landing

fVEbF76l.png

VUSDEUil.png

t8323FBl.png

And got my Jool-Pioneer headed on its way, with a look back at Kerbin as it left the SoI

5m6gNcIl.png

My new recruits also managed to find a rock arch in the dark, which is mostly visible by the lack of stars

UJusgm1l.png

Today we continued rolling north during the Dunian night.
We hit the Midlands again for the second time, and noticed we hadn't performed all the science, so we hit the brakes and took care of business.
During that time, connexion with the KSC was restored (turns out IKE was in the way of all things, moving up in the latitudes fixed that problem), so Bob transmitted *a lot* or science we could not transfer earlier.
There was so much of it that we needed to start the generator and let it run for quite some time to recharge the batteries.  Fuel gauge was still at 25% tho, so we decided to keep rolling north, since it went so well.

Zb7qLPz.png
Jeb looking at the flag Bob planted, and into the night sky, admiring Ike.

We rolled roughly 28.5km north, until we hit a large bump in the ground... then there was no ground, or rather there was a very steep ravine just below us.
Jeb was sure that without immediate 'correction' the rover would smash the ground and break in half... or more.  So he quickly pivoted the engines into their 90° position and fired all 4 of them. . .

uhepvjE.png
. . . and not a moment too soon either !

So as we were flying over that dangerous crater, a bleeping alarm started to go in the cockpit.
Bill looked and started reading out loud: "200dv, 160dv" -- Jeb was doing all he can to lad the rover but being mindful to do so softly enough.
 -- "Warning, Fuel critical...  Warning Fuel critical", or so the computer blared on top of the high-pitched alarm.
Bill continued: " 75dv, 50, 25,  JEB!!!!!!"

Then Jeb turned the engines off, and retracted them to their normal position...  Turned to Bill, Bob and Agawise, who all where as white as Kerbals can be, smiled and said: "We're safe, I put us down so gently you didn't even notice it"
Far from being amused,  Agawise made one final, angry, snarky remark to Jeb:  "ZERO Delta-V left, 20 liters of fuel in the tanks. and still 3½ hours until sunrise...  I suppose you want a medal, hotshot?"
Jeb looked back forward, and blew a long sigh with a full meaning of "Ooookay, someone isn't happy, whew."

So electronics was turned off to a minimum, only keeping the heater as everyone tried to sleep until morning...
There would be no more rolling north tonight.
Then a few hours later :

A8g3xnh.png
Everyone was still sleeping, except from Bill, who's Bob snoring had woken up earlier, a broad smile came to his face as he mumbled: "Hello Kerbol, my old friend, we missed you!"

Bill expended the solar panels, and with the rover angle, all four were catching the sun...

PrRCalZ.png
So he dropped the drills down, raised the Radiator Mast, and the fuel needle started moving upwards again... 4 litres, 5 liters...  "We made it thru the night" -he said with a sigh of relief.

Bill got some rations out and fired-up the coffee machine.  Being the first up, he was responsible to get the breakfast (if you could call dry rations and a tiny cup of coffee breakfast!) for the group.
It would take a long time for the tanks to fill back up to the 2200 liters of liquid Oxygen and the 1800 liters of Fuel, the current rate only being 3 units per minute or so.
Bill then took out his favorite book, "The Dunian" with a picture of "Mark Kerman" on the cover and started reading, only lit from Kerbol's light.

Thanks for Reading folks !

hi !

I spent a whole afternoon with KOS, in my to-do list I had planned for my hover program, the ability to save the parameters of the pidloop

that manages the altitude in a file associated with the plane.

Because I can adjust its settings in flight and once set properly the settings are now kept in file and recharged at start-up.

each change made is re-recorded. Record the settings and perform at the exit of the script or at the end of the landing mode.

// ---- Checking if parameter saved file exist if not create it ----
switch to 0.
set vol to core:currentvolume.
set SavedParamAircrFile to (NameAircrafFile + ".txt").
if not vol:EXISTS("AircraftParM")													// check if folder exist or creat it
{
	vol:createdir("AircraftParM").
	CD("0:/AircraftParM").
} else CD("0:/AircraftParM").
//																					// Create file if not exist
if not vol:exists("AircraftParM/"+SavedParamAircrFile) vol:create("AircraftParM/"+SavedParamAircrFile).
LIST FILES IN savedfile.															// store file in list (parameter folder)
for n in savedfile
{
	if n:name = SavedParamAircrFile 												// search if aircraft parameter file present
	{
		local filecontain is n:readall.
		if filecontain:empty															// file empty loading default parameter format
		{
			n:clear().
			n:writeln("MINthr").
			n:writeln(Convertnumber+MINthr).
			n:writeln("MAXthr").
			n:writeln(Convertnumber+MAXthr).
			n:writeln("FactorVspeedLan").
			n:writeln(Convertnumber+FactorVspeedLand).
			n:write("endfile").
			break.
		} else																		// parameter updated with data in file 
			{
				set parseline to filecontain:iterator.								// to read by line
				set filedatalexicon to lexicon().
				until not parseline:next
				{
					local key is parseline:value.									// set lexicon key to string
					if key = "endfile" break.										// exit end file reached
					parseline:next.													// step to value
					local value is parseline:value.									// set lexicon value to string
					set filedatalexicon[key] to value:TONUMBER().					// create index & value
				}				
				set MINthr to filedatalexicon:MINthr.								// update value from file
				set MAXthr to filedatalexicon:MAXthr.
				set FactorVspeedLand to filedatalexicon:FactorVspeedLan.					
			}
	}		
}

This part of the script verifies if the folder exists, creates it if necessary. (Kerbal Space Program\Ships\Script\AircraftParM\)

Same for the file that is created the first time with the settings by default of the script.

But if the file corresponding to the aircraft already exists it is the parameters of the file that are loaded.

_

// ---- function exit button 5 & save parameter ----
function stop
{ 
	LIST FILES in curentsavedfile.
	for n in curentsavedfile
	{
		if n = SavedParamAircrFile
		{
			n:clear().
			n:writeln("MINthr").
			n:writeln(Convertnumber+round(MINthr, 2)).
			n:writeln("MAXthr").
			n:writeln(Convertnumber+round(MAXthr, 2)).
			n:writeln("FactorVspeedLan").
			n:writeln(Convertnumber+FactorVspeedLand).
			n:writeln("endfile").
            break.
		}
	}
	sound2:play(musique()).							  // for fun :) (testing)
	wait until not sound2:isplaying.
	set running to true.							  // End Main hover boucle
}.

This part and tasked with backing up the data of the pidloop.

At first I had a lot of concern when to the method, doing a syntactic analysis (PARSER) of a chain of character "et bien" (in french) it is not my thing lol, given the time I spent understanding how to create a file or folder and extract the data, doing a parser would have taken me the week  :valsad:

Kos and handy all the same the possibility to recover line by line the data of a file made me a great service. All you had to do was find the text formatting in the file.

MINthr
MAXthr
FactorVspeedLan
endfile

And that's it ... :happy:

Steph.

Edited by stephm

My work ethic actually isn't that all up to it today, I did design some new modules for my space station "Station Alpha" in LKO about 80km high however, new science bits I haven't messed with will be heading to it, Station Alpha isn't exactly the best space station currently which is why I'm looking to revamp it, shouldn't be hard once I stop being so tired. :P

1965-04-01 - Hatsunia launches the Jikiken-2 magnetospheric probe with the Scintillation Counter Cosmic Ray Telescope, Helium Magnetometer Boom, and Magnetic Ion-Mass Spectrometer (modified RSS/RO)

6hHh1Le.png

vGLy6Ig.png

L3mSu7s.png