What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

2 hours ago, Jacke said:

I think you've discovered how Mystery Goo is made.

haha you made me laugh out loud. I wonder how much a human could handle before the hydrocarbon molecules would break down and turn into diamond

37 minutes ago, xendelaar said:

haha you made me laugh out loud. I wonder how much a human could handle before the hydrocarbon molecules would break down and turn into diamond

Creating diamond may not even be possible by acceleration; high pressures and temperatures without oxygen are needed.  However, well before 350g, depending on the surge (change in acceleration per time), there'd be fatal internal injuries.

2 minutes ago, Jacke said:

Creating diamond may not even be possible by acceleration; high pressures and temperatures without oxygen are needed.  However, well before 350g, depending on the surge (change in acceleration per time), there'd be fatal internal injuries.

hehe, I was trying to make a joke. :) 

There was this guy who survived 214 G! from wiki:

The highest recorded G-force experienced by a human who survived was during the 2003 IndyCar Series finale at Texas Motor Speedway on October 12, 2003 in the 2003 Chevy 500 when the car driven by Kenny Bräck made wheel-to-wheel contact with Tomas Scheckter's car. This immediately resulted in Bräck's car impacting the catch fence that would record a peak of 214 g0.[18][19]

20 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

Probably my favorite parts of the Probes Plus mod are the Surveyor components.   Works just like the real one - Star-37 does the bulk of the braking, with the 3 little LFO motors for the final landing.  Being KSP, there is usually plenty of dV for a proper parking orbit at both ends though.  Not quite a perfect replica due to 30-part limit for the VAB but still looks pretty good:

KvLSL9Zh.png

I actually was using a pair of the same Surveyor motors for my mini-rover skycrane, which is why the TWR was so low.

What about the landing legs? They look awesome, but I was checking in the Probes Plus page and couldn't find them in the album... :D they look pretty neat! (yeah, a bit lazy to fire up KSP and after 10 mins finding that the legs aren't there... :P )

Edited by JorgeCS
Something went wrong and the message was 3X :D

2 hours ago, JorgeCS said:

What about the landing legs? They look awesome, but I was checking in the Probes Plus page and couldn't find them in the album... :D they look pretty neat! (yeah, a bit lazy to fire up KSP and after 10 mins finding that the legs aren't there... :P )

They are built into the body of the probe rather than separate parts.  There is also a Surveyor-B body without the legs

As for what I did in KSP today - nothing.  Yesterday, my laptop got knocked off a table & landed screen first.  I've replaced screens before, but I can't confirm whether this one uses a 30 or 40-pin connector.  One store even lists both as compatible with my model, and saturday is the earliest I could even sit down to pull it apart to figure out for sure which I need so I just dropped it off with a pro to do it.  Hopefully will be back up & running monday.  I was able to plug in the hdmi port to a tv and confirm it is working otherwise, which was a huge load off my mind - only had it 10 months, & can't really afford another new computer.

Edited by Cavscout74

2 minutes ago, Cavscout74 said:

What mod is that rover body from?  The wheels look like stock, and the camera looks like USI (?) but I don't recognize the body

Personally, I'm preparing my career save to send crew to Gilly within 5 years.

Thread here, it's a bit empty as of now.

The WDYDIKSPT is designing a Gilly orbiter/lander/sample return to evaluate the surface for suitability of crewed habitation between arrival and departure, and techniques of navigating into Gilly orbit.

Currently very frustrated right now, I made my fifth rocket, the Echo-Akira, and put Jebediah on it for a fly-by of the Mun to do science, I have tried numerous times to re-entry but it was either too harsh and caused everything to explode or the parachutes wouldn't deploy due to the remaining velocity, so I've settled on an orbit. 

A crap ton of science completely out of my hands because I decided to be stupid and send a rocket really early on to the Mun, without RCS and much more sophisticated tech a rescue mission is nigh impossible (I've tried several times already to attempt such a mission) 

Very upset and angry. I'll give updates for the rest of the day as I progress but Jeb's gonna have to do his own little thing in his capsule for now.

My latest flight: To the northern ice shelf, didn't really get any launch and maneuver photos but here are the re-entry photos I took.

unknown.png

I deployed my landing legs because I thought that would help with slowing me down or something.

unknown.png

unknown.png

Of course I broke a landing leg because I wasn't paying attention (I was hiding the UI for these screenshots!)
Everything worked out though and I was able to deploy my parachutes after slowing down enough reaching 5-6km elevation, which seems dangerously low, I panicked for a while just before my parachutes deployed just in time.

unknown.png

The northern ice shelf seems awfully rocky for an ice shelf.

unknown.png

Anyways, had just enough power to hold myself up with SAS, didn't matter though because I was going to retract them anyway so I could do an EVA to do more science stuff, so I did that, ran experiment stuff and recovered the vessel, didn't look at how much science I got from this particular mission but I have 50 science now, enough to research my next tech node.

I've decided it to be the Basic Science node, so now I can do actual probes and even MORE science stuff.

One step closer to landing on Minmus/the Mun, and saving Jebediah.

Hello again!

Made a bit of progress, became stupider and became less stupider, and I made a probe that went to Minmus and back, here we go.

Pretty janky rocket, the FA-Akira, begins its launch after some test runs because I was using a probe and I needed to figure out how to actually control it without it flipping over.

First run, kraken, second run, tipping, and then on the third run I got a successful ascent.

unknown.png

The amount of Delta V in the first stage was actually insane, ~3000m/s of Delta V.
With my timing, it was enough to create an encounter with the Mun alone, but I wasn't going to the Mun this mission, changes in plan usually lead to bad outcomes in my experience, ADHD won't get me today.
So I made my maneuver for Minmus and went along my way.

unknown.png

Started my burn for Minmus, a dozen seconds late but it wouldn't matter much on this scale.

unknown.png

I would have to orbit another time after completing the burn to have the encounter with Minmus.

unknown.png

So I began my encounter with Minmus after waiting like a minute for timewarp to finish, did my retrograde burn and another burn to get a low stable orbit, I still had 3000m/s of Delta V left, which surprised me, which is when I realized I could make a return journey, and make my science much more valuable.

unknown.png

unknown.png

So I began to descend after a small burn, and I was very paranoid about landing since Minmus is infamously bumpy, and I wasn't going to use my probe to land since I was deciding I was gonna do a return mission, eventually I got it shortly after the 2nd stage engine got destroyed and I had to separate.

unknown.png

unknown.png

So I did my science, and immediately left to do a burn for Kerbin.
Two burns actually, one to leave Minmus and the other to adjust the burn from around a 200km periapsis to 80km.

unknown.png

I did another maneuver to lower my periapsis further, leaving me with roughly 1600m/s of Delta V left, and I was travelling at 3000m/s so it seemed to be going well to the changed plans.

unknown.png

So I finished off the rest of the fuel in the third stage, and began my burn on the landing stage, I retracted my antennae to shield it from potential heat damage.

unknown.png

Then I ran out of fuel, and at a speed of 1km/s, began burning through the atmosphere.

unknown.png

After a much graceful parachute deployment...

unknown.png

(extended my antennas again because I was paranoid of them bonking and shattering on the ground, despite that probably not changing anything if it did happen.)

unknown.png

I complete my landing, with 'much' precision and elegance.

unknown.png

Then after that, I recovered it, and waited for like 10 minutes for my game to load the space center for a grand reveal of 312.5 science!

A fair and exceptional deal of science if I do say so myself, this will be a much needed advancement, and I can probably do some more missions like this, I may also try and attempt a 'hopping' mission of sorts tomorrow, from Kerbin to the Mun, and then to Minmus, and then finally back to Kerbin to get a huge amount of science.

In the meantime I'm going to bed, I'm very tired, but I hope this suffices as something cool to look at :D

Yesterday was a day of mixed feelings.

I designed an electrical fixed wing probe for Eve. It looked promising - it could potentially collect a lot of science.

XiPsbEB.png

Meanwhile I sent a spaceplane to minmus to rescue the crew from my mobile space station (please don't mind the small rocket on the back of the lab, it is meant for peaceful purposes only :wink:).

ZkI8Tkn.png

After that I sent my mission to eve, everything looked ok.

5b8p06O.png

When I got there things started going bad... when the probe entered Eve atmosphere my relay was out of range - rookie mistake that is! My probe had no signal and from that moment and beyond it was doomed! My beautiful probe!! Here you can see it going straight to death:

3PRbquV.png

I also landed this Career first probe on Duna in a precarious manner, after a brief Ike fly-by.

d4n5ZNU.png

hpURhhI.png

Edited by kerbonara

For the last 2 days, we continued the roving mission on Duna.
Since it's nothing but (pretty) Duna pictures with not much going on, I didn't report yesterday.  But gonna do one today, with a surprise I promised you all.

KWYZkAB.png
We finally reached the poles after about 72km from the Midlands, again night driving but that's how it goes with solar panels to mine the surface. 

4NnqpiV.png
Here we are, cruising along to the next leg of the trip...  Still in darkness, but the ice is definitely visible.  We reached the Polar Highlands after a whooping 118km. Tho it only took an hour thanks to flat terrain allowing 35m/s.

83hlTxM.png
Then turned south for a measly 16km to Duna's Highlands, climbed a very high hill of 5520m, oriented the panels into the morning sun, and dropped the drills to taste the ore... very tasty 14.59% concentration !

zYZ5xPo.jpg
Again on our way, this time an instruments view of Duna, the blue waypoint(flag) is the Polar Highlands, and the green one the Highlands, we're heading south into a strangely shaped ravine we need to check.

8zjaoFi.png
'Tis a very long trip tho, and very hilly. Agawise took the wheel since Jeb needs some sleep and the bouncing around is insane.  Still, driving by daylight this time since the refueling only took half the day.  Much more scenic too !

That is where I stopped for today, 8 Duna biomes have been strip-mined acquired, with 6 more to go.
Oh that's true, I did promise something.  Allright, here it is :

TNBeJEe.jpg
The "Explorer II" in inter-planetary configuration (That's the bundle of tanks with the engine bell near the Ares Capsule)... Now freshly out of Kerbin SoI and on her unmanned way to Duna to pickup the crew.

Thanks for Reading folks, and have  a nice day !

Edited by Francois424

Today I finished my three motherships as a part of Phase II for Project D. I . R. E. C. T. T.

yafebTX.png

The first is the Ike Direct Exploration Apparatus, or I. D. E. A. IDEA is composed of several vessels: a heavy reusable nuclear tug, the habitation module (Which will be the core module of Tenacity Space Station around Ike,) the Ike Manned Rover or the I. M. R. for short (left of center), the FERMLAB (Fantastical, Extraordinary and Rare Materials LAB, above center) the IML (Ike Main Lander, partially visible below center.) IDEA will have a crew of 5, and all of them will remain either at Tenacity or FERMLAB.

kH2XCxn.png

The second is the First Advance manned SpacecrafT, or F. A. S. T. FAST only has 3 modules, simply a reusable heavy nuclear tug, a habitation module and a lander. FAST's purpose is to bring crew to staff my Northpoint base on Duna. It's secondary purpose is to bring home Eilly Kerman, who has been remaining alone at Destiny station over Duna for quite some time now.

tUaMGW3.png

The last is the Specially Purposed Emergency Escape Directive. SPEED carries an auxillary lander, the Direct Escape Module to and from Outpost Northpoint (D. E. M. O. N.) SPEED is similar to FAST, but it will remain unmanned and will function as an emergency escape vessel from Duna. In the event of a base-wide catastrophe, DEMON will ferry the crew off the surface, and the SPEED vessel will take DEMON and return home with the crew.

6 minutes ago, DunaManiac said:

D. I . R. E. C. T. T.

Ike Direct Exploration Apparatus, or I. D. E. A

Ike Manned Rover or the I. M. R

7 minutes ago, DunaManiac said:

FERMLAB (Fantastical, Extraordinary and Rare Materials LAB,

IML (Ike Main Lander,

First Advance manned SpacecrafT, or F. A. S. T

Specially Purposed Emergency Escape Directive. SPEED

8 minutes ago, DunaManiac said:

Direct Escape Module to and from Outpost Northpoint (D. E. M. O. N.)

THE ACRONYM IS STRONG WITH THIS ONE

I spent most of my KSP time today and yesterday doing design work- so far I've made a brand new launch rocket with a pretty respectable 75 tons to LEO and a payload fraction of 5% (better than the Saturn V and the Ariane 5); an interplanetary orbiter probe with 20km/s of delta-V including the launch rocket, enough to get into orbit of Ceres or Vesta and probably to land there too; and the beginnings of a Moon base which would still need to be launched into orbit, docked to a propulsion module that was launched separately and then flown to orbit of the Moon using said propulsion module before landing under its own power.

Gratuitous screenshots of test flights:

zkNgcaB.png

That rocket is about 50 metres high, just to put that massive plume of fire underneath it into perspective.

hsCRkJF.png

I'm a sucker for a pretty sunrise/sunset, especially during a launch.

9 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

I've made a brand new launch rocket with a pretty respectable 75 tons to LEO and a payload fraction of 5% (better than the Saturn V and the Ariane 5); an interplanetary orbiter probe with 20km/s of delta-V including the launch rocket, enough to get into orbit of Ceres or Vesta and probably to land there too; and the beginnings of a Moon base

noice.

Lookin forward to it.

Finally started using different types of rocket engine correctly- high thrust, short burn duration engines are for boosters; moderate thrust, long burn duration engines are for the core stage. I did it backwards before and somewhat predictably, doing it the right way around resulted in more payload to orbit for a much lower cost than trying to use sustainer engines as boosters and vice versa.

tTktLDt.png

150 tons doesn't seem like a lot of payload to orbit, but this is payload to Earth orbit and requires ~9km/s of delta-V, about as much as you need to land on Duna and return in the stock scale Kerbol system.

No pictures, as I was away from my computer during the key moment (this becomes important later!), but today I did my first EVA-repair job that wasn't a contract.

So I was doing a milk-run training mission for some rookie kerbonauts, with a Flying Dutchman transfer vehicle approaching docking with Minty Dessert station in low Minmus orbit.  Ho-hum, something I've done dozens of times before...  I had sound turned off and was livestreaming a virtual music festival on my other laptop (this also becomes important later).

About 1 1/2 minutes from the braking burn on final approach, Real Life(tm) intruded.  In the form of my cat doing his "I've got a hairball" dance.  *Right over my #2 laptop which is streaming the music.*

I jump up, move the cat, hold him away from the laptop until he's ... um ... taken care of business.  And only then do I wonder if I remembered to hit ESC to pause the game.

No, I hadn't.    And OF COURSE I hadn't bothered to save before this utterly-routine operation.  Well, the Dutchman was still there and wasn't an expanding debris field, so I should be okay.  And Minty Dessert Station was only a few hundred meters behind me, so it was trivial to kill relative velocity and then do a manual/eyeball approach and dock.

Except that at some point during docking I noticed that the Dutchman was missing a thermal wing and the Minty Dessert a solar array.  OF COURSE this happened to be the time that I set up a rendezvous two orbits in advance and executed it so precisely that my uncorrected miss distance was UNDER TWO METERS.

Luckily, I'd earlier stowed a few repair kits and an experienced engineer on-board the Minty Dessert "just in case".

So, everything's fixed now, and a survey of both vehicles seems to indicate everything else survived the near-collision okay.  (As well as both computers, and the cat!)