What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

39 minutes ago, KerrMü said:

Yep. the phase when you take 20 ore out of one tank and put 30 in another... Man, you´ve nailed the propotions of that Delta and the bow and stern made from flags? Just wow. If you don´t mind me asking, how many parts does it have?

I had one batch of versions that still had wing parts as stern dive planes. When those hit the water hard enough it would launch the crew cabin almost reliably into space. :grin: 

Thanks, yeah all of it is made of flags. The proportions are slightly off because I didn't look at the reference pictures when I was building it, but I spent quite some time making it as smooth as possible. Here's a better view of it:

Kyv6skB.png

The flags really are great for this sort of thing. It's about 600 odd parts, which seems like a lot but the flags make it less laggier than you would think. The diving planes don't work on mine, theoretically it should be pretty easy to make them actuate with BG but I just didn't bother. 

Also, do you plan on putting your sub up for download? 

Edited by Yukon0009

1 hour ago, Yukon0009 said:

snip

Oh, flags are great. A simple system of building blocks that allow the creation of more complex shapes. I wonder if the devs could include some that would make the creation of spherical shapes easier. One can dream.

I´ll have to test what happens to the sub after uploading and downloading. If the fairings hold their shape and that sort of stuff. If it holds up I´ll edit the link into the  original post. Maybe later today. But it´s a bit messy and clippy under the skin. :blush: Sometimes my philosophy changes from "build it clever and clean" to "what do I have to do, to make this work?" when it  gets late.

Edited by KerrMü

Jeb and Bob have driven the Explorer as far as they could. Looks like the hike to the summit will be on foot... only 4 kms to go. 

qzV8k8h.png

Mission accomplished. Jebediah Kerman - Mountaineer!

LQgx6HP.png

Edited by Caerfinon

After a slight redesign of my Atlas rocket so that I had some actual control during launch, but not enough redesign that its orbital maneuvers were smooth - I manage to re-teach myself how to do an orbital rendezvous.

40zTUIm0C4QrC7J9maVCW1Xb7XmL0TkZmpQqzfzC-qxM2TMpt5vVLv8lTKn1bc7H8Mu480PMSUebIEAizjKrRDD8xwpO0D4JFOthm9K0WsiYDvr6TvVsHOxXxcwIyYsE7x2ZeF9Flx_6kE3FeQsDTVc-a22orP83U4jdi1M5MjTtOTewkfryblkU0ExBfhdvIW8dzX889K2IcvLs1IQ5mcoeQ4yYDfalHGl12y6321kYq-fwbnP_snXzUM2uB0VtrExT3bJ5mxQnlFD6

Of course then while trying to be fancy and transfer co-pilots from one to the other I accidentally pressed "spacebar" on Gemini A and staged  the engines off.  I Kerballed together a way to get Val and her co-pilot back to Kerbin.  Jeb is still waiting to land sometime tomorrow.

I launched a small space station to LKO in order to test EVA construction (still the KIS kind, I'm still waiting for a while before I switch to 1.11). This is MASSIVLEY important to this career, as a kerballed Gilly landing I've designed is at the top of my priorities and I have 5 years from now to do it. Naturally, playing with Kerbalism, I'm going to have to send at least 1 unkerballed dress rehearsal before the real thing, so the timeline is actually very tight.

This is also actually the first time I've shown this career here, I've had it for almost 3 months and am on year 22 in-game.

Spoiler for lots of pictures.

Spoiler

screenshot0.png?width=868&height=488

The station, launching on a Wyrm-2C-C booster

screenshot1.png?width=868&height=488

screenshot2.png?width=868&height=488

screenshot3.png?width=868&height=488

screenshot4.png?width=868&height=488

With the station safely in orbit, the crew launch a day later on a Taranis-222 rocket in their Triton IIIB capsule, service module, and orbital module.

screenshot5.png?width=868&height=488

screenshot6.png?width=868&height=488

screenshot7.png?width=868&height=488

screenshot8.png?width=868&height=488

In orbit, the capsule separates from the stack to turn around and dock to the orbital module, providing more space for the crew and more fuel for the propulsion systems.

screenshot9.png?width=868&height=488

screenshot10.png?width=868&height=488

screenshot11.png?width=868&height=488

screenshot12.png?width=868&height=488

Now docked, the three crew begin to power on the station and begin their months-long campaign to test important aspects of the Gilly mission plan.

Finished up my Vulcan-I crewed mission to Eve's surface (here's the previous post)

Surface exploration:

Spoiler

Collecting samples and science shenanigans:1Tlcge6.png

Cruising towards the LH2 refinery at 40+ km (top speed around 1100m/s):GTmU0q6.png

Visiting an old acquaintance - the Adam mkI helicopter science drone from 40 years ago, now resting at the crater island:tYrpauh.png1UxYTzu.png

Finally made it to the refinery - connected the Starling to it via a robotic docking arm and began refueling:hx8M7tX.png

Return:

Spoiler

Ascending to orbit, with just barely enough dV due to a sub-optimal ascent profile. Rendezvous had to be done by the Prometheus  mothership. The Starling was left in low orbit, waiting to be docked, refuelled and resused in the future.pKXHrGU.png 

After a 150 day journey back, the crew of the Prometheus were picked up by the Bluejay SSTO and returned home safely:hYQhOHJ.png

The uncrewed Prometheus, as is standard procedure, was sent to minmus orbit to join its' two older siblings and temporarily decomissionned: VBXHw59.pngU8nLSbj.png

Edited by Apelsin

Nothing.  Today in KSP I have done absolutely nothing.  Just like last week, the week before, all of February and most of January.  I have had to stop playing due to Bug26961, which continues to sit idle with more users reporting the problem and no progress on a fix in months.  :( ;.; :mad:

28 minutes ago, djr5899 said:

Nothing.  Today in KSP I have done absolutely nothing.  Just like last week, the week before, all of February and most of January.  I have had to stop playing due to Bug26961, which continues to sit idle with more users reporting the problem and no progress on a fix in months.  :( ;.; :mad:

I followed the suggestion and whenever I use any module with RCS thrusters (such as the mk 1-3) on my builds, it is never the root of my build. I use a tank or a docking port as root as a work around. So far so good...

2 minutes ago, Dientus said:

I followed the suggestion and whenever I use any module with RCS thrusters (such as the mk 1-3) on my builds, it is never the root of my build. I use a tank or a docking port as root as a work around. So far so good...

Thanks.  There have been multiple suggestions, but I might have missed this one.  Will have to give it a try.

I'm still doing nothing as well, still waiting to get my laptop back from getting the screen replaced.  Apparently the unobtainium ore has to be mined & processed, then shipped by some guy on foot to the screen manufacturer before the screen can be made & shipped out.  I actually bought another laptop to use that was decent but not quite as good, so I haven't tried making a new JNSQ install.  Sadly, after getting used to the extra challenge in my JNSQ career, I'm kinda bored with the stock scale install.

Edit:  Just got a call from the repair shop.  Apparently the first screen arrived from the manufacturer looking like it had been keyed by an angry girlfriend - deep scratches all over the surface.  They had to return it & get another new one sent.  This was the entire reason I took it to a shop in the first place.  I've changed laptop screens before, but this one I spent over an hour trying to figure out which replacement I needed and hadn't even isolated which connector it used - one online store indicated MSI used a mix of 30 & 40 pin connectors on this model.  I thought a pro would have better luck finding the correct screen, but he had as bad a time as I was having.

Edited by Cavscout74

4 hours ago, djr5899 said:

Go check out the changelog on todays 11.2 release. Turn those frowns up side downs.

KoS

7 hours ago, STORMPILOTkerbalkind said:

Built Minimus Base with 2 little "speeder bikes" (you can only see one because I blew up the other one).

I've done similar before, they were quite fun - mine didn't dock with the base though, just had some form of landing legs & had to be refueled with KAS fuel lines

Also, I finally got my laptop back & opened up my JNSQ career.  Didn't get much done and it really convinced me to roll back to 1.10 & start over.  I did finish my cursed Mun rover contract finally, then got a probe launched for a Moho fly-by.  It's only a few thousand m/s short to get into Moho orbit.  And I performed an abort test of the newly researched Mk1-3 pod

Dcliuq7h.png?1

Moho-Pathfinder departing LKO

ieFhC9gh.png?1

The abort test used a 1.875m SRB to cheaply launch the pod for the test

tPn99sWh.png?1

WDjyUMhh.png?1

14 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

I've done similar before, they were quite fun - mine didn't dock with the base though, just had some form of landing legs & had to be refuled with KAS fuel lines.

I agree, docking is basically impossible, the other speeder I landed behind the base however one of the solar panels was destroyed, luckily I brought a couple EVA repair kits to fix it.

I finally sent my first crew to Orcus Base on Minmus. This base has been under construction since July IRL, so it's a relief that the base is finally operational.

PktDOTv.jpg

Not featured in the image are the debris fields from a several crashed SkyKranes and Habitation Modules. Due to the failures, Orcus went 500,000 Funds over-budget and almost bankrupted the space program. Now I'm taking the lessons I learned from building Orcus and applying them to Ceres on the Mun. Hopefully this time without spending 1,000,000 Funds.

6 months after the scouting mission (Kerbal time), I deployed the core module for Ceres.

TrBRDHu.jpg

I left the scout rover where it was, so it could act as a target for the core module. After separation from the rocket's upper stage, the core module landed a mere 9 meters from the target. Next up for Ceres is deploying a SkyKrane into orbit and a construction rover to the surface, so I can start launching and installing the rest of the modules.

On 7/1/2020 at 9:00 PM, coyotesfrontier said:

Made a comet base:

l2Dr4yX.png

Comets are huge, the base is only barely visible in a shot of the entire comet:

roDIEX9.png

Also noticed an interesting thing with comets and vessels attached to them: They don't seem to have a load range of 2.3km, instead a much larger range, in order to prevent pop-in given their massive size.

When I first say this, I got inspiration to start making something huge, Thank you...

Finished building the mothership for my Tekto mission, turned out to be the nicest looking one yet imo :DobM2bGa.png

Spoiler

Really dig the crescent shape of the two antennae in the middle.4Q1oVKx.png

^Propulsion is two afterburning FFREs from FFT. The radiator shape is why I renamed this thing Manta 0kl7wED.png

^Payload section, protected by a "radiation shield" fairing. Right to left: hab section, Puffin from my previous post and a small LH2 refinery in the front fairing.

Edited by Apelsin