What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

On 2/28/2021 at 12:01 PM, Hotel26 said:

Oh, yeah.  Why is this new, parallel, 1.7.3 world called Splice, I hear you ask?  Very good question.

Stay tuned.

tl;dr I've been operating my mainline Orbit world since January 2018 at "snail speed" (no warping >30m), but a month ago, opened my new Splice world, to speed things up.

I'm ready for my first harvest.  I have 5 flights around Moho, 1 around Eve, 6 around Duna and 1 around Ike.  (I will spare you the complete photo shoot.)

Of all those, I am most elated about HZ6 Zenith making it to Moho:

0tHMsms.png

Hmm, OK.  Now I face the small issue.

All this equipment is in my Splice world.  But I need it in my Orbit world.

Oh dear; now what?  Any suggestions...?

Edited by Hotel26

KV6aLgp.jpg

Here's the first set of pics of Opis-II - my ongoing first crewed career mission to Sarnus and Tekto from OPM. This is part 1.

Setup:

Spoiler

Starting orbital assembly of Manta ITV: 160T proplsion and hab section launched via the my beefiest reusable booster, the Pentos (see this post for details about the booster).  AcJPdRv.png

Closeup view of propulsion section: this vessel is powered by two afterburning fission fragment engines from FFT (each with two magnetic nozzles) with a total dV of around 115k. These generate a lot of heat, needing the large black graphene radiators. Power for these and storing the cryogenic LH2 propellant is supplied by the small reactor between the engines. vxcHAye.png

A smaller reusabe nuclear booster was used to launch the payload section with the Puffin SSTO and a LH2 refinery. After the two sections docked the crew of 7 launched in the Bluejay SSTO and boarded the ITV:Z66kU82.pnglk1AHeM.png

The uncrewed SSTO landed successfully at the KSC while the ship was prepared for departure.

Departure:

Spoiler

Beginning burn to Sarnus, caught a comet in the backgrounduyUeaIP.png

Q7IS7lk.png

The ~50k m/s dV burn allowed for a travel time of less than 300 days. PersistentThrust is a must for these engines, despite the TWR being a respectable 0.4.

Coasting after finishing the burn.wzaRzqc.png

EVA inspection of payload:ZeQICwk.png

Arrival:

Spoiler

Beginning 1.5 hour long breaking burn:1VNXDNf.png

Approaching Sarnus:jD7o4MQ.png

Love the ringsL62tDmT.png

Setting up Tekto intersect:CBvpaU1.png

Final breaking burn at the destination:Nf7dcGw.png

Great viewIKgxZTb.png

To be continued...

Edited by Apelsin

Upgraded my old AKS Nebula class frigate.  Its old, but its still arguably my most efficient warship i ever made when you consider the weight of only 70t and insane armor that doesnt rely on offset tool abuse like the later models (eg Dimension, Origin, ect), so its a bit less "hacky" even if it does have some fuel clipping as i just couldnt get enough fuel inside it without it and still maintaining the looks to be right.

iKt6vNK.png

Gave it a full size proper bridge as the older series had the MK-1 cockpit which wasnt bad, but it didnt really feel like a true bridge (currently using the rover cockpit as its the only good looking blocky one available, and im just not a fan of rounded crossection parts since they dont look like anything youd find on a sci-fi warship in pretty much any universe that isnt based vaguely on reality).

uJV51f1.png

Anyways, i made a new LRM based heavily on the older G7g torpedoes but half the weight and 2 less parts.  Looks like utter crap, and not even remotely like an actual missile of any sort, and ofc its inefficient part count wise.  Still, the results speak for themselves when a single one of them does the following damage to a ship that is for all intents and purposes one of the stronger "conventional" designs i have made for BCorp:

ZyFTpSP.png

Given i can now carry 6 of them, i can afford a bad hit or 2 and still finish the target.  2 different options are also avilable, longer range LRM with vernors for better guidance and a cheapo version with less fuel, less range, no vernors, but 5 less parts a noticeable less weight.  Its only a single shot per 0.6m hardpoint, but its actually more lethal then dual SRM-4Ms for considerably less parts and mass.

itdXZtI.png

Also, i did sorta upgrade the BCorp's Broadsword, given that the old mk5 was so anemically underarmed it was inferior to a starfighter...  New one has dual SRM-6Ms which is at least what id consider the bare minimum for a frontline warship, and it still has a single 0.6m hardpoint for optional anti-fighter/emergency backup weapons (normally i dont bother carrying them as these things are built to be damage sponges and not offensive vessels).  Not perfect and still higher on parts then id like, but its 100% conventional armor (no mk-2 bays or any other more advanced designs inside), no RTGs, no nuke engines, pretty much no advanced tech of any form, so yeah, does its job well for a cheapo mass produced ship that would realistically outnumber the Nebula 4-1 if not more in universe...

Not much KSPing these last few weeks cause i was too busy with work, but i still got some stuff done.  now to work on my comic ive been doing over the last few months and maybee i can finish the next section...

55 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

tl;dr I've been operating my mainline Orbit world since January 2018 at "snail speed" (no warping >30m), but a month ago, opened my new Splice world, to speed things up.

I'm ready for my first harvest.  I have 5 flights around Moho, 1 around Eve, 6 around Duna and 1 around Ike.  (I will spare you the complete photo shoot.)

Of all those, I am most elated about HZ6 Zenith making it to Moho:

0tHMsms.png

Wait, are you playing in real time? Holy Kraken that sounds tedious.

28 minutes ago, Jebediah Kerman Jr. said:

Wait, are you playing in real time? Holy Kraken that sounds tedious.

Yep, if you want to know what it is like to work at NASA on a team sending a flight to Jupiter and how it feels to see it go into orbit 5 years later...  and hope you made good notes originally about why you are going there and what to do next...  :)

My Splice world, comparatively, is like moving to SpaceX.  :)  Things move a bit faster!

(Just a footnote, in further explanation.  The part that's not tedious is that the non-warp rule causes lots of concurrent missions to come into play.  I typically have something like 350-370 flights in operation.  Managing this is, well, tedious, but it's also an interesting challenge.  Plus the hard-reality of extended missions.  Admittedly, Splice is somewhat a 'retreat'.  I decided, based on certain forum discussions lately (notably about Moho), that I really wanted to fast-track my interplanetary transition experience/skill.  Here we are, in a new world, with hybridization and adaptation.  :)  )

Edited by Hotel26

Today my fearless crew rode the tail of a fire breathing dragon down into the atmosphere of Kerbin.

eV50VVn.png

Haaw. Asteroids explodes.

Who knew?

The crew is fine. They staged the tank/engines off then released the ball of fire. Then heatshielded and parachuted the normal way.

ME

3 hours ago, Martian Emigrant said:

eV50VVn.png

That has got to be the coolest KSP screenshot I have ever seen.

Also that is a comet and only comets detonate on re-entry, anything up until class E will be alright (though what can I say, I only know the (possibly outdated) facts, I've never actually done it myself.).

6 hours ago, KeaKaka said:

That has got to be the coolest KSP screenshot I have ever seen.

Also that is a comet and only comets detonate on re-entry, anything up until class E will be alright (though what can I say, I only know the (possibly outdated) facts, I've never actually done it myself.).

Hi.

Aw-shucks. I am turning red here.

Might be outdated. Me think. I had some outdated ideas too.

That was an asteroid class D. I also thought it would just reenter and be fine (I wanted the crew to ride it till terminal velocity then land close/next to) but it heated up and exploded.

I used to think that asteroids float. But I recently landed splashed a class A and it sank to the bottom of the ocean.

So things have been tweaked a bit. I know nothing about bigger nor comets....Yet.

1 hour ago, KerbalKiller2000 said:

Did you install any visual mods in this picture? That comet looks pretty cool...

Hi.

No mods of any kind. I run a vanilla stock game.

That was an asteroid class D.

I tend to play with the camera angle pointing "Up" away from planets as my video card can't handle it and the game lags way too much.

I tried to get a screenshot as it glowed the most.

Here is the same reentry with Kerbin in sight. Not as hot as it was 20km higher.

kFwORZu.png

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

Today we only have a very small update.

HKasjLb.png
The Duna team headed westward as instructed . . .

HQvJEbv.png
. . . and after about 48km, reached their new destination, Duna's Southern Bassin...  Bob takes in a hard, long view as this is perhaps his last morning Duna science EVA of his life !

Which now means that all the important biomes have been reached, investigated, scienced the s**t of, and catalogued.  Also what could be transmitted to KSC was diligently performed during the lenghty trip.
So now there's two possibilities,  either the team rendez-vous with Valentina's extraction ship which has been refueling on Duna for a while and is ready to go...
OR during the 454km trip towards there, spot a peak and evaluate if possible to take the rover into orbit to Ike.  Some engineers seem to believe this possible but simulations will have to be ran by Jeb and Agawise over on Duna.

That's all for today, thanks for reading !

17 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Copying and pasting the VESSEL{ } and KERBAL{ } blocks is straightforward enough. Search by 'name = <shipname>', check any 'crew = <kerbalname>' lines and copy&paste the corresponding KERBAL{ } blocks. The VESSEL and PART identifiers are generated in a way to be very unlikely to clash between saves; if they do it's going to be a very tedious edit anyway.

Of course all that is assuming a stock game. I don't know what mods do with the save file that might interfere.

I already visited this comet. But, I was sending my second module when I saw this:

r/KerbalSpaceProgram - I have already visited this comet, and there is a module already there. But it decided to come give a close visit

r/KerbalSpaceProgram - Working on the second module for my first comet base. And the comet payed a close visit.

Kinda awkward to see your final destination take up such a big part of the sky

I don't know when or why KSP started hating me so much, but I attempted to get a JNSQ install set up in 1.10.1 after all the headaches I encountered in 1.11.  For reasons as yet unknown, JNSQ doesn't change anything - stock Kerbin is still loaded in a new save.  It DOES add to the patch count when loading KSP, but doesn't appear to be doing anything else.  I'm totally baffled - other JNSQ installs I've had encountered no issues like this.  I'm on a different computer than my usual one, so I can't compare installs, but this just makes no sense.   Initially I thought it was some problem with Kerbal Konstructs (i've never used it before) but deleting KK (and deleting & reinstalling JNSQ) made no difference

Edit:  I am so dumb - I forgot Kopernicus.  I bet it will work a lot better once that is installed!!!

Edited by Cavscout74

Today I launched the main section of a space station to Minmus. Total cost of the 8 launches and 7 failures was about 7-8 million funds. Yikes. Thankfully I'm in science mode.

The successful rocket:

83xh16a74to61.png?width=2880&format=png&

The as-yet-uncrewed station in orbit of Minmus:

x74g3ca74to61.png?width=2880&format=png&

One of the failures:

ua6oq5a74to61.png?width=2880&format=png&

Today was strong in emotions and in happenings.

It began much like the other Duna mornings.  After Bob finished his experiments and got back on board, the team studied the map and started their 484km trip to Valentina's landing site.

RTzMkpy.png
Rolling . . .

yd4YKYd.png
 . . . Rolling . . .

KQVaJAo.png
 . . . Rolling !

Now that was quite a high peak.  Jeb wanted to get to the top to check if it was high enough for our secondary mission objective, which was to try simulations to confirm the rover would be able to fly to Ike. Quite a nice mission prolongation for our intrepid team !
Obviously,  if the simulations proved it possible then the KSC would green-light it.  

5nwTDlK.png
Now having reached the top at about 6'950m, Bill started the refueling while Agawise did the simulations with Jebediah, waiting on results.

After a few hours of simulations (and the refueling being almost complete), we started to get some success. 
The first 2 simulation ended with a failure to escape Duna's atmosphere and smashing down on the surface since the parachutes alone aren't enough.
The third one ended us in orbit of Ike, but without enough fuel to land properly.  However the next 2 ones confirmed it can be done, if only risky.

KSC ran their numbers as well, and decided that even in case of failure, there was a 95% chance of successful lithobreaking without killing everyone, and Valentina would be relocalizing her ship to where team 1 is landing, making her a few minutes behind at most.
The go ahead was given.  Agawise was still unconvinced this was a sound plan, but being the only one with that opinion...

2WShZ6D.png
BLASTOFF !  The four terriers roaring to life at full power, the craft heads in a very steep climb as the converter needs time to convert the ore into fuel.  Orbital time that is.

GajJ5UX.png
Orbit achieved, a very elliptical one at that.  We raised altitude on the low side just above 50km and planned the Ike transfer. Three orbits to chill until then !

MFNeLnN.jpg
Not in Ike orbit. In fact we're not planning to orbit.  We're landing on our first pass.  Still hard to believe a rover can do this Duna-Ike hop... there's a first to everything !

Q7QPGGT.png
The engines are gently slowing us down, looks like it's gonna be a piece of pie afterall.  Agawise was terrified tho, staring at one of the instrument... The fuel gauge.

uXn2Rcu.jpg
About 250 meters from the surface, the engines abruptly cut.  "We're out of Juice" yelled Agawise, "And by the time we hit the surface, it's going to hit HARD !"

MsBvw3p.jpg
" BRACE FOR IMPACT !!1!one!!omgbbq! "

ykHvgiY.jpg
. . .  And...  Touchdown?  In fact I'm still surprised the rover didn't break in multiple pieces, hitting the ground at around 35m/s.  Did bounce and almost crash on that first touch, but the second one was ok.
The crew was pretty shaken, that was Cloooooooooose. "We're not doing that again" said both Jeb and Agawise.  Bill and Bob needed to change their pants.

lodOsJ0.jpg
Looks like we have a few more days of mission, this time on Ike.  

So yeah, what a day.  It almost ended the mission.  Of course AFTER I got the crew on Ike, I realized something.
Remember I told that all Duna's Biomes where done and accounted for...  I kinda...  I kinda forgot one.
Looks like the team will be doing another return on Duna later, and get to Valentina's craft afterall.

But for now, it's all about Ike, we like Ike !
That's all for today folks, thanks for reading !

Edited by Francois424