What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

So after too much GWA (Goggle Work Avoidance) this afternoon, i stumbled on this NASA index image -

NASA-5-64-3704

or 

SPACE STATION by NASA Publication date 1964-01-01

Multi-module Operational National Multipurpose Space Station.
Addeddate  2011-05-19 00:04:00 Identifier S64-03704 Year 1964 

from the old Astronautix site i dug up this - http://astronautix.com/s/self-deploygspacestation.html

"The Self-Deploying Space Station began with a design study in June 1960 by North American Aviation under NASA contract NAS1-1630. The concept was for a rotating space station providing 0.2 G of artificial gravity, that could be orbited in a single launch of a two-stage Saturn C-5 and unfold in orbit without any assembly required. This meant it had to packaged into a 10 m diameter with a mass of no more than 77,200 kg, including an Apollo spacecraft that would be put into orbit together with the station."

having a few minutes free this evening i cobbled together this monstrosity - fRjJh0I.jpg
Which unfolded into this
H0lZiuD.png
K1SqFHe.png

I may dump, way too much, more time into this - But not tonight.

1971-08-03 - Marumi Nabatame on EVA during the Utahime-02 mission (you can pretend there is a tether)

7ozrGX1.png

(note: the Realistic Progression mod disables EVAs for the single-person capsule, like the real-life Mercury. To re-enable, I had to remove "ModuleNoEVA" from the "mk1pod_v2" part in [KSP folder]\GameData\RP-0\Tree\TREE-Parts.cfg)

Today I've had serious clean up of my installs.

Compressed and moved all versions from 1.4.5 to 1.10.0 to a backup disk.

Took a while to compress all that data but at least is showed that my OCed i5-3570K (@4.1 GHz) doesn't melt even when going flat out on all cores for 60 minutes.

Now I'll go back to tinker ;)

15 hours ago, maddog59 said:

I built a ring station with so many freakin' lights on it that at 120km it lights up a significant portion of the dark side of the Mun! I imagine I'm going to have to submit an Environmental Impact Statement now...

MWqKu04.png

How many lamps did you use?

Been some time since we could last make a working one of these. Who remembers? 

yj0gKRM.png

Infinigliders. 

IaAvkcb.png

Check out that guy at the back. No hemet. Fearless.

7QzRzKX.png

They look quite cool in modern parts.

zWCEf7U.png

More people should try this before it is re-patched

Edited by Tw1

I tried to make a new crawler crane: the Kiebherr KR 1800.1, a Kerbal version of the Liebherr LR 1800.1. I just noticed the KR 1800 is smaller than the LR 1800. 

It didn't end well.....

vlcsnap2021040113h07.png688vlcsnap2021040113h07.pngf29vlcsnap2021040113h07.png6dbvlcsnap2021040113h07.pngdownload6.jpgdownload8.jpglr180010printmotivfi.jpg

I think something about the KarioTray (Kerbal version of Liehberr VarioTray crawler crane counterweight system) made it go BOOM!

Fun fact: "LR" stands for "Liebherr Raupenkran". Raupenkran is German for crawler crane, and Liebherr is a German company.

Liebherr - LR 1800-1.0: Strong like bull! - YouTube

Edited by Ben J. Kerman

On 3/31/2021 at 6:17 AM, AMA PR0 said:

Today my space program took a break from rocket development and space exploration to dabble in Kerbin aviation. The plane is nothing really special, and not overly fast, but its a stable platform that is fun to fly 

fklBk47.png

I really liked the wing assembly of this one, so I rebuilt it off this screenshot to try it out. Ended up tinkering and tweaking, and @AMA PR0 graciously allowed me to share my results:

CqlJDck.png

w88AnBY.png

wwr3Muy.png

Craft file: https://kerbalx.com/swjr-swis/AMAPRO2a

More pics: https://imgur.com/a/6Pbba1Y

Original concept: @AMA PR0 (I hope to see more in the future!)

For further testing/designing for my JNSQ career, I figured I'd make a Test install where I didn't need things like EVE, scatterer, contract packs, tech tree or even JNSQ so it would load quicker for parts tweaking.  When I went to test a Titan-Gemini equivalent, I forgot about the thrust patch that JNSQ applies to the Bobcat - went to the launch pad, throttle to full, spacebar and......  I sat hovering over the pad for a few seconds till the Titan started to lift as it burned off fuel.  It amused me - probably more than it should have, actually.   The mission was only an abort test, so it didn't really matter - once I got a little altitude I did the test anyway. 

I also got my 2.5m Girroc MPV's (Multi-Purpose Vehicle) mostly set up.  The long range version reaches LKO with about 2700 m/s in the orbital stage but weighs in at a 214 tons on the pad.  A hydrolox version drops the mass down to 150t, but loses about 400 m/s dV in the orbital stage.  The standard range version reaches LKO with about 500-600 m/s remaining, more than enough for typical LKO missions

cb1Ix6Ch.png?1

ieoDzuoh.png?1

I also tinkered with an Explorer probe from FASA, but it doesn't quite have the dV to reach orbit in JNSQ. 

V45xQnDh.png?1

I'm realizing now one reason I couldn't make orbit was missing the final Sergeant rocket that was attached to the back of the Explorer.  :o

GuxgEgRh.png?1

Even adding some "Mite" SRB's left it a little short of orbit

BQdI2hYh.png?1

There is a small reaction wheel under the fairing used to spin up the upper stages before staging.  I suppose I could make some kind of fancy BG robotic spin up table to mimic the real thing.....  Hmm, something to try tomorrow

FhapItmh.png?1

I had the nose too high on this one, so even if I had the dV it wouldn't have had a stable orbit

USwwN2th.png?1

Edited by Cavscout74

Today, i flew into a black hole with a warpship instead of cheating a poor kerbal into orbit and watch it spiral in
FIVgk1O.png
Arriving
60wXI2x.png
and at this point, i was amazed that my GT 1030 was even able to run this at 60+ fps, and am now fully convinced it runs on witchcraft
Getting closer, i had to have cheats on the entire time as the antihydrogen tank kept exploding, and also so the ship would spontaniously explode due to engine over gee
5dCpFkB.png
Coming in! at this point, im going nearly 5% the speed of light
CjKX7tT.png
Ok im getting REAL close...
W8CKms9.png
One orbit later, i nearly hit the "surface" of the black hole, which is about twice as far as the event horizon...
RIYM6E2.png
Pretty insane view
soo i decided to put my map view camera at the event horizon lol
LxcJCzf.png
and then i broke spacetime by activating drive incorrectly and getting sucked in
the closest non explosive approach well exceeded 10% lightspeed lol

I picked up one of my many half-finished projects: creating a minimalistic orbiter that could compete with Whoop_whoop_pull_up's ChairSat S2b on launch cost, weight, and/or part count.

Spoiler

KnlKT5F.png

Whoop_whoop_pull_up got to this end result after quickly iterating through cost-saving alternatives, ending with an SRB-based lifter and a chair-tank-spider upper stage. Watching the design progress was an entertaining experience.

I was left with the question whether this would indeed be the cheapest possible solution, or if it would be possible to shave off any more funds, parts or launch weight. Today I set myself to the task of finding out. The result: the CheapOrbiter1, transfering one kerbal to low Kerbin orbit at the cost of 1.1t, 8 parts, and 1243 funds.

Spoiler

ZjLLmXf.png

cteKxTX.png

HBpiRn0.png

Craft file: https://kerbalx.com/swjr-swis/CheapOrbiter1

More pics: https://imgur.com/a/tNxtuVj

With thanks to Whoop_whoop_pull_up for the incentive and the design of the tiny upper stage.

4 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

I picked up one of my many half-finished projects: creating a minimalistic orbiter that could compete with Whoop_whoop_pull_up's ChairSat S2b on launch cost, weight, and/or part count.

Whoop_whoop_pull_up got to this end result after quickly iterating through cost-saving alternatives, ending with an SRB-based lifter and a chair-tank-spider upper stage. Watching the design progress was an entertaining experience.

I was left with the question whether this would indeed be the cheapest possible solution, or if it would be possible to shave off any more funds, parts or launch weight. Today I set myself to the task of finding out. The result: the CheapOrbiter1, transfering one kerbal to low Kerbin orbit at the cost of 1.1t, 8 parts, and 1243 funds.

Craft file: https://kerbalx.com/swjr-swis/CheapOrbiter

More pics: https://imgur.com/a/tNxtuVj

With thanks to Whoop_whoop_pull_up for the incentive and the design of the tiny upper stage.

Grand! Now bring her down (alive if possible ;)

7 minutes ago, JorgeCS said:

Grand! Now bring her down

No no.  This is the new procedure for sending trainees to the KSS...  They need to pilot themselves close enough on first launch to immediate rendez-vous and then jet-pack across.  Or wash out...

Standards have progressed so much since those "early pioneer days" of the Space Agency!  :)

Edited by Hotel26

2 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

No no.  This is the new procedure for sending trainees to the KSS...  They need to pilot themselves close enough on first launch to immediate rendez-vous and then jet-pack across.  Or wash out...

Standards have progressed so much since those "early pioneer days" of the Space Agency!  :)

Mmm... OK, I'll bite... Demo is required :P  I can't really tell if Val is taking the jetpack with her, which adds weight to the launch ;) 

42 minutes ago, JorgeCS said:

I can't really tell if Val is taking the jetpack with her, which adds weight to the launch

We didn't even have jet packs in my day.  Splash down (if you could, but always welcome after the f.i.e.r.y re-entry) and swim for it.  Lucky to get the occasional sachet of shark repellent, we were...

Edited by Hotel26

1 hour ago, Hotel26 said:

We didn't even have jet packs in my day.  Splash down (if you could, but always welcome after the f.i.e.r.y re-entry) and swim for it.  Lucky to get the occasional sachet of shark repellent, we were...

Is that when they made the cadets do gravity assists around a neutron star in nothing more than an air tight glad bag?

I've got a transit window to Jupiter open in 20 days - I feel like I should try to send a fleet of Scan Sat probes but I don't currently have an idea of how much Delta V I'd need (KSRSS) so I'll likely send a small test probe this window and hope to send a fleet of probes and rovers on the next window.

This is the model I used for Mercury and the first probe was more than 2000 delta v short of being able to circularize so it turned into my first interplanetary flyby of this save and my first time I've gotten a craft in Mercury SOI tvWT1SpWcBbe1ZouhJjGt4pS2cI541jROpwih7M6T6ibrVDqpWVEHeSvkMVMvI6T63UojbFyVBgOxjHWRY4cJBOsVbwTjykn3WjtwVw0gbwyvc8BhfUiq9NCN-eeSHsX5obJ7Fj0Tuk.

Still working on redesigning my Moon colony plans after downloading a part mod which has nice looking base habs and interiors.  Sending an anomaly scanner to the moon to track while I work on a Jupiter probe - after that I'll be sending a new fleet of Apollos up with crews that need some experience to look for Moon anomalies that deserve a colony location.

13 minutes ago, JorgeCS said:

I can't really tell if Val is taking the jetpack with her, which adds weight to the launch ;)

I saved another smidge of weight (and funds) by sending her up without a jetpack (or a chute, for that matter).

18 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

They need to pilot themselves close enough on first launch to immediate rendez-vous and then jet-pack across.

12 minutes ago, JorgeCS said:

Demo is required :P

The pack adds its own 600 m/s once out of the seat, with full translation and rotation capabilities. That's 2-3 times more than most orbital craft get to do their rendezvous with. But it's 45kg more to get all the way up there, which means I'll have to add at least one extra tank... more parts and weight and cost. Defeats the purpose of that tiny lil thing.

She could just suicide burn into the nearest hatch, I guess. She did get up there with 201 m/s to spare.

On the other hand, this could be the long sough-after explanation of how so many kerbals get themselves stranded in low orbit. It's not rookies, exactly the opposite: they're trained instructors risking life and limb to provide rookie pilots with training hours doing rendezvous and rescue missions. :D