What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

@Stone Blue filed a suggestion to renew/refresh the list of stock craft in KSP in an upcoming update, by means of a community contest. He mentioned that the stock craft always required... well, some work, to get them to actually work well. Which prompted some long-repressed erhm, fond memories of hours and hours spent tweaking stock craft.

Result:

jHXFupG.png

The Stearwing D45-C, a resurrected and fixed-to-work in KSP v1.3.1+ version of the stock D45 that was dropped from the game since v1.1.

WD3uFGx.png

Lots of changes and fixes needed, but I tried to stick as much as possible to the original concept and its operating paradigm.

49qkq7A.png

And it works!

mkx14X1.png

All the way to orbit.

I hope others like the idea of adding community(-created or -fixed) craft to stock. Could be a really fun event to fill time until KSP2 hits.

Hey all.

Today I broke the game.

I sent an SSTO to Minmus, Here is said SSTO decending to Minus-Base.

What the heck is the lighted triangle?

IgqnnAv.png

P5sugv3.png

pZGq8hZ.png

There are lights on the base and lights on the ship but....What?????

I checked and the sun is completely on the other side.

A quick refuel and they will be on their way to Jool.

sOrcnTR.png

ME

1 hour ago, Martian Emigrant said:

I checked and the sun is completely on the other side.

That may be the answer: it looks almost as if the normal of that face is inverted, tricking the graphics into thinking it's in full sunlight.

Interesting find. Did you take a scoop of it to sample if it tastes any less (or more) minty, compared to the unlit surface? :D

Attempted (Actually, still Attempting) to make a video for my YouTube channel of the newest Kiebherr mobile crane-The KTM 1060-3.1, 3 axle all terrain mobile crane.  I wanted to post it today, but it might have to wait until tomorrow.

Please subscribe to my channel! If you don't want to, that is fine also. Obviously, I can't make you subscribe, but it would be appreciated!! :)

10 hours ago, Dientus said:

got an IMGUR account

A very good move, as a picture tells a story of 1k words.

From my own experiments, attempting to fly fast and level at an altitude where the Mk2 cockpit will stay cool, one benefits from a larger wing area and some angle of incidence applied to the wings (to generate sufficient lift while allowing the nose to stay prograde, reducing body drag).  Won't matter so much if your goal is going to space.  In both cases, mass is your enemy.  (swjr-swis succeeded where I failed because (amongst other things) he cut the mass to the bone -- and has a bigger wing area.)

Zooming out: is your objective "doing science"?  Or "getting there quickly"?  Your machine might make a very good science harvester, flying lower, slower and further with a Panther.

9 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

Zooming out: is your objective "doing science"?  Or "getting there quickly"?  Your machine might make a very good science harvester, flying lower, slower and further with a Panther.

Getting there quickly and cheaply. See this post as to the design I settled on and the reason for wanting to make it :grin:

* I would change it to a panther if it were for Kerbin only.

Edited by Dientus
added comment

I tried to make a Munar Lifting body shuttle. It is inexpensive and fun to operate.

YC0yEJq.png

The only major expendable part is a single SRB with some control surfaces

IBt166p.png

Carries 5 kerbs to Munar orbit and back. However it has a very high stall speed, making it fly like an absolute brick. I also want to switch power production from fuel cells to solar panels in the craft's next iteration.

Starling is designed for stratospheric/hemispheric operations.  The North/South Pole route.  KSC to/fro BKB.  180 degrees.

Tagline: Anywhere to anywhere.  Minimum time, jetway to jetway.

HXIt4DZ.png

Currently, 2 km/s at 30km on 0.31 lf/s.  Still tuning for the 'sweet spot'...  The boys in the workshop have dubbed it a 'space glider'.  Big wings to milk lift/control from skimming the thinnest of atmosphere.

RAPIERs to get up and down from terra firma; closed cycle to punch up the strato-speed and Dirty NERV to sustain them all aloft.

Edited by Hotel26

10 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

That may be the answer: it looks almost as if the normal of that face is inverted, tricking the graphics into thinking it's in full sunlight.

Interesting find. Did you take a scoop of it to sample if it tastes any less (or more) minty, compared to the unlit surface? :D

Yes. Something like that.

At first I thought the sun was shinning through a gap in a valley. But it wasn't there.

It might be the sun shinning though one of those terrain suture errors that happens here and there.

Though they are not that common on the equator. I landed there a dozen time as the base was being expanded. Half of those times must have been at night.

Never happened before. I don't think it can be reproduced. Not easily anyway.

As for taste, I didn't taste it myself but the Kerbals seem to like it.

All those tasty colourful regoliths. Gotta eat them all.

uwZUwXPU7dpdXcxmhvq6dbUx1wNO11yDH18K5-TR

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

The Field Expedition draws to a close. Team members are out collecting the findings for the KGO scientist.

rUrH7ac.png

Once everything is collected, it's off to the nearest airport to board the plane waiting to take the team back the the KSC

SH16aFp.png

In my latest video. I've discovered that KSP really doesn't like Comet bases. As such I had to abandon this base. I still have enough footage where it makes a kinda entertaining video. As such, here it is:

Hey all.

Today (after a short 795 days refuelling) my last crew in need of a fifth star departed Minus-Base for Jool.

AvV2AZg.png

after entering the Joolian system they realized that they had run out of power and Karson had tho get out and rotate the ship by hand.

TEWH9ER.png

Karson: Why do I have to go out and do this? The pilot that caused the power failure or the engineer that let the pilot do it should fix this.

Docas and Steve: You are expendable.

Scene missing. (forgot to take a few pics. But they did land on Pol and leave the system for Kerbin)

On the re-entry the ship behaved well, slightly tail heavy but fuel transfer fixed that.

73K5Nqx.png

rV68CwF.png

Perfect landing with only a slightly used atomic engine busted.

8A45eKg.png

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

New Space Station in Orbit. I call it Kerbin one. It orbits at 500 km.

20210411085805-1.jpg

20210411085413-1.jpg

I tried to launch an extension but it kept blowing up from kraken attack. Out of anger I crashed it into the ocean :(

20210411164037-1.jpg

So today, I killed 21 Kerbals, which adds to my total of 476 kerbals killed by me.

Edited by Stormpilot

Used a new rescue vehicle

y63tD0k.png

Rescued a Kerbal

FnQJSgO.png

Sent a lander to Minmus to wait for a world first mission.

xUC2HfM.png

Then launched a crew to get the rendezvous part of a world first at Minmus.

Uy4FR1P.png

Spoiler

Finishing up the trans Minmus burn.

KSpZCxF.png

Docked at Minmus

srU1NG4.png

And Tisby gets a star and some science.

smks1yU.png

And back we came.

hEzlQbt.png

2 hours ago, Stormpilot said:

<snip>

I tried to launch an extension but it kept blowing up from kraken attack. Out of anger I crashed it into the ocean :(

<snip>

So today, I killed 21 Kerbals, which adds to my total of 476 kerbals killed by me.

:awe::valwow:

I did something i would have considered impossible, or so impractical as to make no difference:

drive a rover on Gilly!

for you see, i came for the green monolith, and i aimed for it during landing. i didn't take into account how slowly you fall on gilly (30 minutes from the "suicide brake" to actually touch the ground) or how fast the planet rotates, so i ended up quite far. At first i thought about a suborbital jump, or just sending a kerbal by jetpack. but my lander had a rover arm and wheels (it's intended for use on multiple planets, including those where wheels work), so i had to move it closer to a ground feature.

it took me ten minutes to get the hang of actually going somewhere. the trick, of course, is to go slow. move slow, accelerate slow. use SAS for stability, but deactivate it to resume touching the ground.

OElP3Y5.png

once i figured out mobility on gilly, i decided to use the rover to cover the rest of the way. my cruise speed was between 2 and 2.5 m/s, with top speeds reaching a breakneck 4 m/s!!!! (it may not sound like much, but that's one quarter of  the orbital speed. it would be like 500 m/s on kerbin). but the planet is so small, it actually took less time to cross Gilly at 2 m/s than it took to explore Eve with a plane at 100 m/s.

OyMDtlV.png

akvPewU.png

gilly is a very beautiful celestial body, and i am happy to have taken the time to learn to drive and spend some time on it. I recommend the experience to anyone who likes exploring surfaces.

IqfuEnI.png

If you've ever wondered what Kerbals do for tourism....?

Well, this is the Wildfire 2 cruise ship going through sea trials.  102 m/s and rock stable.  Turns on a dime with differential thrust.

It's amphibious, of course, so no ports/docks required to visit the little coastal towns for golden sands and grappa.

It's equipped with a spacious hold which will contain a high-speed pontoon boat  for extra fast excursions to shore, reef snorkeling and/or water-skiing.

The KSC-to-Antarktika run is very popular for vacationers aiming to escape the summer-time heat of equatorial KSC & environs.

Cruise company is planning a first launch, "around the planet" tour, for no particular reason, other than the "Free Marketing"...

pHRqm9p.png

(Kudos to @Lisias for the original hydrofoil design.  It's not a hydrofoil anymore, though.)

This is the launch, 'Duckboat', under development.  (Under water, more like it.  It does just over 20 m/s.  I'll be putting chutes on it for reasons; very KSP reasons.[1])

ikc4VaY.png

[1]     Wzd6bzU.png

Edited by Hotel26