What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

1 hour ago, ColdJ said:

Today I made sure my mini wall hugger for climbing sheer buildings was useable by stock with Breaking Ground DLC.

Then I published it on Kerbal X

Excellent, good man! I will be downloading that very shortly!

AN0m1oU.png

@Hotel26 Another thing I did today. I have good news, bad news and good news. Good News, I found Bd Armory  Module manager patches for "Hitpoint Tracker" and "BD Armor" and disabled them. Surprise surprise. M M loaded over 1 thousand LESS patches on start up and none of my craft seemed to care. Bad news. After loading and resaving the craft I put on Kerbal X so they should now be Hitpoint Tracker free. I took The seal hydrofoil out for a test run and it was fliping out at 120 m/s. It seems that the BD armory MM patches must have been adding more mass to the crafts. Good news. After many many runs and crashes I finally found the new settings that work for this craft and now it will max out at 180 m/s without trying to fly. Just don't attempt to change course. :D

Edited by ColdJ

What I did on KSP today.........

... uhm...

... let's see...

After FIVE YEARS (... my God: time is flying...) about NOT playing at all (... my last real time with the game was in v.1.2.2... YES! you are reading it alright, I didn't forgot any number here: ONE-POINT-TWO-POINT-TWO... and if it seems a LONG AGO... well... yes, it is, but also consider that I played since the first public release, that was v.0.13, so probably at the time I was a bit burn) I decided that was time to restart.

I was, since that time, playing mor on a "toaster" than a PC: a 2008 laptop (already 6 or 5 years old at that time), with barelly the ability to turn on, pushing its limits WAY BEYOND its capabilities up untill 2016 (... and I'm guessing: HOW I COULD run not only KSP, but also all the stuff I made in this forum: KSP was basically not a "game", but a "slide show": I didn't misured its performance in "fps", frames-per-second, but more on the line of "frames-per-minute").

... but I'm digressing...

Since that time, I followed KSP still.
I got my hands on a new rig (actually I already updated it twice, since then), I was so happy of the x64 windows release, that pushed the OS past the 8GB RAM (... it meant MORE MODS!!!), but in the time I was sidetracked: a TOTALLY NEW gaming prospective opened for me, tons of games that FINALLY I was able to play.
I tried basically any new release since, but actually, NEVER kept playing: two probllems arised since then.

FIRST: I basically did anything I could imagine already (exploration, but also A LOT of "historical rehersal"... my last big project was building, launch by launch, the more accurately possible, an ISS)...
... but, also, SECOND, a "greed" problem: a LOT of RAM meant A LOT OF MODS, always conflicting with eachother, so each time i lost track of their dependencies, bringing the game to stutter and, possibly, playing WORSE than when I was in my poor laptop.

BUT I'm different now.
I'm dilingently keeping track of ANY mod I'm installing, ONE BY ONE, with the relative dependencies, in an excell file...
I'm willing to go SLOW, this time: testing, figuring how they works BEFORE I putting them in the final install.

I'm not here to show "awesome pictures".

No.

I'm here to say that time could pass by, that we all are "growing old" (in a couple of days I will hit 45 years old... yes... I'm a "gaming uncle"... I started since the pre-history of technology, when I was 2-3 years old, and I was playing in my grandparents' cafe, in the late '70s-early '80s, and suddenly the first "arcade cabinets" appeared, in Italy, even if it was kind of late than the rest of the world, with PONG, PAC-MAN and such....) but some games will FOREVER keep you going back to that child-ish side that NEVER dies...

... and "Kerbal Space Program" is one of SUCH games!

YEAH: no awesome adventures, for today.
I will need probably days (or even weeks) before I'll finalize my last KSP installation.
But I knew, already, since I entered a PC-shop, after my old 2008 laptop died (... rest in peace, my old "friend"...), that EVERYTHING I was about to buy was for ONLY ONE PURPOSE:
to ACTUALLY BE ABLE TO PLAY KSP properly, one day...

... and that day is today.

Edited by Araym

@Araym First, Hi!! Second, However much ram you think you need, triple it it. Third. 45. Hah you are only a teenager. I have played games that only had 6 pixels, if you don't count the score at the top. I have seen computers bigger than a house but weaker than the first pocket calculator. So young one, enjoy youre gaming, because the best gaming years of you life are still ahead of you. :D

Seriously dude, enjoy bringing your imagination to life. :wink:

13 hours ago, Dientus said:

I really love this! Very imaginative! And I mean for both the entire ore to fuel process as well as the presentation!

Makes me want to create similar videos!

thanks for the kind words man! if you ever decide to make a video! please let me know! I would love to see your episode!

5 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Watched it. If you actuall did all those things in game then I guess you work for Space X already. Very Cool.:cool:

thanks dude! I'm glad you liked the video! I've been also checking out your planes.. damn you've got an eye for aestatics! stunning!

32 minutes ago, pmborg said:

The replica of SpaceX Starship SN10 including the final hard landing...:

Does it worry nobody that the Space X rockets for Mars look like the 50's movie props for Flash Gordon?

1 hour ago, ColdJ said:

Does it worry nobody that the Space X rockets for Mars look like the 50's movie props for Flash Gordon?

I'm looking forward to all the great new parts!
Actual game-play footage of parts under development;

2 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Actually...

It is EXACTLY one of the reasons I'm TOTALLY rooting for SpaceX for actually succeed in making a fully funtional Spaceship!!!

I WANT THIS AS SOUNDTRACK, the first time they will launch with actual astronauts on board:

Hoping obviously that there will be no Ming awaiting us in space :sticktongue:

Man, I love the creativity of the people who post here. So Inspiring and sometimes extremely funny. Can you immagine getting out to push a 20 ton plus rocket so as to conserve fuel?

And from Flash Gordon and QUEEN.

"Said to General Garra: General Garra, Flash Gordon approaching! GENERAL GARRA: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching? OPEN FIRE, ALL WEAPONS!!! Dispatch war rocket Ajax to bring back his body. :cool:

Story Time, boys and girls:

Sidbro Kerman had been goofing off too much lately.  So his 'superiors' sent him on an "urgent, super-secret mission".  Ha!

"Fly to the top of the VAB.  Land on the helipad.  Measure out the dimensions of the helipad.  Report back."  Fooey!

Whereupon, Sidbro had a revelation.  As he approached the edge, afraid of heights as is normal for everyone but True Kerbonauts, his little pinkie on the left hand instinctively reached for the Shift key.  A sudden, sharp instinct grabbed him in the nick of time and froze his progress!!

pHQXGhJ.png

Excited, he would later pass on this crucial information to his 'superiors' (along with the dimensions of the VAB helipad): the Left Shift key is used (instinctively by those afraid of heights) to hold onto the edge of a block in Minecraft -- whereas -- in KSP -- it is used to accelerate pedestrians (even those near a perilous ledge) -- from a sedentary 0.7 m/s -- to a hurtling 2.1 m/s!!

Oh boy.   Disaster so narrowly averted!!

Sidbro's 'superiors', reviewing his breathless report, ignorantly skimmed over this fact and focused only on the helipad bounds...

uUD8iN3.png

for they now had a plan to include the VAB helipad in the upcoming Telemagic mod's notion of refueling aprons.

This will, no doubt, be a boon to VIP VTOL visitors to KSC.  Well done, Commanders.

(Sidbro was later chided for playing too much Minecraft and asked pointedly to 'get on with it'.)

Edited by Hotel26

I had a contract for a polar satellite so I was trying out my latest tech in a new design.

CuQdfQ3.png

Spoiler

Things started well.

zyw2XwV.png

But not going into space with this.

T6ErwRo.png

I finally get something working after a bit. And that does the trick

kwJCims.png

D54NbbS.png

After that I not so confidently had a new design launched for a couple of Mun contracts.

AONvc5v.png

Spoiler

This went much better. The new 2 crew lander is the main upgrade. 

7lJw8jZ.png

The second stage fires up after stage separation.

fE5npen.png

After getting a parking orbit, the Kerbals restart the second stage and begin the Muner injection burn. Finishing up with the SM making the final part of the burn.

NBVYzOw.png

And a non eventful coast to the Mun.

xC60YK8.png

And now for the capture burn.

bbszMvf.png

Tisby and Bob load up and undock. Along with having a scientist land on the Mun for the first time they are carrying the new surface experiments for the first time.

iJJDD5T.png

"Contact light!"

k911m64.png

After a hard days gathering up the science, Pictures are taken.

Il1oESJ.png

The crew heads back and then realize they launched into the wrong inclination necessitating some orbital shenanigans'

smhftgt.png

But they make rendezvous with the SM eventualy.

HgOVU6R.png

Kerbin always looks good at this point of the mission.

cEg9j4H.png

And ready for the chutes to pop out.

Z3sKtMn.png

And the kebals relax waiting for touch down after a long mission.

7DBOtuD.png

Jeb got the honor of becoming the first Kerbal in orbit in the Courage-1 mission. The Hygiea I rocket uses two kerolox Reliant engines for the first stage with actuated fins for steering and passive stabilization, since I don't have anything with prograde hold yet. The upper stage is a methane-vac engine from Nertea's CryoEngines whose name escapes me at the moment. Courage-Hygiea has about the same dimensions and purpose as the Gemini-Titan rocket, so the Gemini service tower setup from Modular Launch Pads made a great fit.

ULr5Irt.jpg

H7Jefu4.jpg

6JaKtow.jpg

The Courage spacecraft is beefier than its analog Mercury, with about 900 m/s dV after circularizing in low orbit. Just enough for an eccentric trip into high orbit if needed. It also has good 3-axis translation, so slapping a docking port on the front is a possibility.

After circularizing I discovered that *someone* had filled the SM's hydrogen bottle with oxygen instead, so the main fuel cell couldn't run prompting a minor emergency. Fortunately the capsule had it's own, less efficient, monoprop+oxygen fuel cell which was able to serve as a back up, but with less than an hour of juice it cut the mission short and Jeb wasn't able to complete a full orbit. He did make it back safely though.

aZRRiES.jpg

Valentina went up next on Courage-2, and this time I'd upgraded the astronaut center so she was able to take a walk outside, completing the first Kerbal spacewalk. 

c3TrnfJ.jpg

Completely by accident, Valentina ended up coming down right next to the KSC

JJWhoYq.jpg

In other news, I also sent up a Minmus orbiter to fulfill a couple of contracts and fund the manned program. It's the first orbiter to carry a (small) relay-capable antenna, so it might be useful for future robotic landing missions as well.

bSicvgw.jpg

Spoiler

0btvP7s.jpg

ASTm1Fc.jpg

bSicvgw.jpg

ruTeg9B.jpg

nwy1Yp5.jpg

dVFpW2I.jpg

My collection of useless crafts/mods, a DSEV, The Flying Sub and a 688 sub.
I play at writing mods so I found these models, tweaked them to work with KSP and wrote mods to control them.

One of these days I'll come up with an idea for something useful.

1enBdsh.png

Here's a video of the in action

7 hours ago, uscespc said:

My collection of useless crafts/mods, a DSEV, The Flying Sub and a 688 sub.
I play at writing mods so I found these models, tweaked them to work with KSP and wrote mods to control them.

One of these days I'll come up with an idea for something useful.

1enBdsh.png

Here's a video of the in action

These are excellent, but you should also put them in my thread. Working Underwater.

A pleasant afternoon, goofing off; nothing but the wind noise:

6QykJv2.png      d9FTdka.png   [click + arrows]

NBkf8BO.png      lz2At1g.png

This sailplane gets 272 m/s at 10.6km.  Glide ratio is just over 5:1.  Cockpit view is mandatory at all times[1].

After all...  it's all about the view, isn't it?

Another game I want to play is, "engine on; altitude no higher than 100m 200m AGL; pilotage by terrain/landmark over some interesting course."

[1] "Gear-up landings, anyone?"

Edited by Hotel26

15 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

A pleasant afternoon, goofing off; nothing but the wind noise:

6QykJv2.png      d9FTdka.png   [click + arrows]

NBkf8BO.png      lz2At1g.png

This sailplane gets 272 m/s at 10.6km.  Glide ratio is just over 5:1.  Cockpit view is mandatory at all times[1].

After all...  it's all about the view, isn't it?

Another game I want to play is, "engine on; altitude no higher than 100m 200m AGL; pilotage by terrain/landmark over some interesting course."

[1] "Gear-up landings, anyone?"

If you do gear up landings I hope you added another small wheel just below the cockpit.

Oh and I had originally used the Eagle cockpit from Quiztech as it looked more like the real thing but did it this way for the pure stock people.

1 minute ago, ColdJ said:

If you do gear up landings I hope you added another small wheel just below the cockpit.

There's an old saying: "there are two kinds of pilots: those who have landed 'gear-up' -- and those who will".  It doesn't help that there is no gear lever in the IVA, nor the 3 green lights...