What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I've become very enthusiastic about carriers.  And, strangely, landing on them...  I did some training in 1.11.2 (where all the new carriers are appearing at  the moment) using the stock Gull.

But you know I had to have my own carrier jet.  My military Space Force is entirely peaceful, so it's just a passenger jet.  Eventually, I'll park a carrier over "the Trench" to provide FIFO for scientific researchers.

So I took my Martin ASR machine and stripped it down...  This is Martin 'Top Deck'.  Stall speed is 37 m/s.  Just landed at Island Airport (pic 1).  75m landing roll.  This should work..., yeah?

xmm1eo5.png   DNa5icA.png

I will be providing a large supply of Solid Fuel on the carrier so that Martin's SAS[1] can be recharged after every carrier landing.

Usefully, 'Top Deck' has uncovered an oversight in Telemagic.  It won't refuel a craft unless all engines (including the Sepatrons) are shut down.  Moreover, once recharged, they immediately refire.  ("Surprise, surprise, surprise!!", says Gomer Kerman, workshop mechanic.)  So I'll be making a quick upgrade to Telemagic to a) make an exception for the Sepatrons being not shutdown and b) disarm them before recharging them.

[1] Sudden Arrest System, patents pending

UPDATE: first carrier test (pic 2 above): "piece of pie"

Edited by Hotel26

Hey all.

Today Bill came up with a trike version of is x-per-mental airplane.

dNppzv6.png
it flew well enough

Spoiler

g4hErO5.png

Later Vall got to try it

Vall: hey Bill there is a strong yaw to the left

Bill: thats because you left Jeb behind

KBWIfBk.png

With Jeb back on board there was another tryout

EKvrRUo.png

Of course Jeb buzzed the tower......Because. Reason.

NV5unyT.png

Tower to x-per-mental: When you get back on the ground you will be grounded. We sent a complaint to your director of flight ops.

Jeb to tower: I am the director. I will reply formally to your complaint when I get back to the office and get the message

NvTEFck.png

The landing didn't go so well

JTJesVe.png

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

3 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

I've become very enthusiastic about carriers.  And, strangely, landing on them...  I did some training in 1.11.2 (where all the new carriers are appearing at  the moment) using the stock Gull.

But you know I had to have my own carrier jet.  My military Space Force is entirely peaceful, so it's just a passenger jet.  Eventually, I'll park a carrier over "the Trench" to provide FIFO for scientific researchers.

So I took my Martin ASR machine and stripped it down...  This is Martin "Top Deck".  Stall speed is 37 m/s.  Just landed at Island Airport.  75m.  This should work..., yeah?

xmm1eo5.png   DNa5icA.png

I will be providing a large supply of Solid Fuel on the carrier so that Martin's SAS[1] can be recharged after every carrier landing.

Usefully, "Top Deck" has uncovered an oversight in Telemagic.  It won't refuel a craft unless all engines (including the Sepatrons) are shut down.  Moreover, once recharged, they immediately refire.  ("Surprise, surprise, surprise!!", says Gomer Kerman, workshop mechanic.)  So I'll be making a quick upgrade to Telemagic to a) make an exception for the Sepatrons being not shutdown and b) disarm them before recharging them.

[1] Sudden Arrest System, patents pending

UPDATE: first carrier test (pic 2 above): "piece of pie"

WeLLLLL I'LLLL Be! :)

Moving towards a longer-term Moon mission, I now have a base on the Moon with a proper rover (pressurised and everything!) for the crew to drive around and gather science, and a station in orbit of the Moon which has just received its first crew. This first mission has already come across a few issues with the designs (lack of RCS propellant and water for the crew to drink) which will be corrected in future, and now they’re waiting for a lander to be sent out to let them visit the base. There’s plenty for the to do on the station while they wait, including several lucrative contracts and some propellant thievery from the station’s own RCS reserves- I really hope they’re using the same RCS configuration!

I had an Apollo 13-like situation recently. I'm playing a career game with a rather challenging set of mods (JNSQ, Kerbalism, KCT, Kerbal Health, Signal Delay, OhScrap, no reloads etc.) and I was sending a mission of two kerbals to land on Minmus. They reached LKO without issues, but during an inclination correction burn there was an out-of-plan staging (a.k.a. OOPS). As a result, the two astronauts were left stranded in a tin can 300 km above Kerbin with no thrusters (only monoprop, but too little of it) and no solar panels. They were going to run out of power in two hours and then freeze/suffocate to death. I had to bring them home, and quickly!

Vr7oS2x.png

"KSC, we have a problem!"

First, I disabled the scrubber and pressure control. It helped save power and won me 3 more hours. Then I looked for ways to save the guys. Like I said, I play with KCT, so building a rescue vessel wasn't an option. Fortunately, I had foreseen such a turn of events (my "foresight" was actually a lesson learned from untimely deaths of previous astronauts) and I had a rescue ship ready for launch. But it only had one seat, and I wanted to save both my kerbals. So I started to look at all vessels I had in orbit.

I had quite a few old satellites in orbit, but how would they help? They were all unmanned and they wouldn't be able to push my command pod into a descent trajectory (it requried delta v of about 150 m/s). I could salvage them for solar panels, but even with electricity my kerbals would run out of oxygen and water and die in 2.5 days. I kept looking.

Luckily, I found the vessel I needed: a dummy payload from old tests of launch vehicles. It was 15 game years old (more than 1 real life year old!) but still working. It was basically a big fuel tank (for the weight) with a probe core, an engine, a few solar panels and a docking port which I put there "just in case". Now was exactly the case for it! After a few burns and a lot of RCS maneuvring the dummy docked with the stranded capsule, recharged its batteries and put it on a correct EDL trajectory. It even had enough juice to go back into orbit. Who knows, maybe I'll need it again?

DtK5d2b.png

The help has come!

My asronauts safely landed on kerbin and are getting ready for another try.

Conclusion: Kessler syndrome can actually be beneficial. You never know what that piece of garbage can be useful for one day!

Edited by garwel

Another rover today!  There will be more details and a download in the Rovers thread but I'll share some info here

Another Microver, this time the Mun Unmanned New-Ground and Exploration Rover, also called MUNER

lt1vVEC.png

I landed on the rebound mountain in the middle of the crater, about a kilometer from the summit

PXw2UUl.png

Landing craft

FZYGlkH.png

Here it is on the summit, you could plug in the coordinates to see exactly where it is

P0fk3Iy.png

Its at the top of that hillside

31Y5jzu.png

aS3Yvwb.png

31BXaFl.jpg

It had a few problems with handling but I'll talk about that in the other thread

Download: https://kerbalx.com/Kerminator/MUNER

Added a Ore converter machine extension to SSIII (on the end of the left arm).

20210428162658-1.jpg

The current lander on SS III (named "burger") dose not have a drill. When ever I attach stuff to things in EVA construction mode, it looks ugly, so instead I will bring a new lander, meet the "cone" lander, will launch tommorow, good night.

20210428163753-1.jpg

Continued working my way through - and adjusting  - the tech tree in my science save

Surveyor-1 launched to the Mun on an Atlas-Agena

cEodfaCh.png

Bill also wrapped up his day in orbit - his final sunset before reentry

cJfwEaeh.png

Then it was time to launch another probe, an Argo, atop the new Titan launcher

LlUZqSCh.png

After reaching orbit, the Agena upper stage doesn't have enough dV to do too much more than push the Argo out of Kerbin's SoI

IOCEW4kh.png

It does become the first kebin-made object to leave Kerbin's SoI a few days after Surveyor-1 completes its Mun mission.   I'm actually trying to find a way to at least get an Eve fly-by - there should be enough dV, but my timing was just horrible, so it may take a few years

t5cff9wh.png

While Argo-1 was leaving Kerbin behind, Surveyor-1 arrived at the Mun and performed the first soft landing

xnzSdyyh.png

The Agena stage and the braking SRB scrubbed off most of the velocity, leaving only about 200 m/s for the Surveyor's landing thrusters to burn off

qE8pwxlh.png

6xlzyOPh.png

Qk61Ensh.png

The lack of larger launch vehicles limits my ability to get probes off to other planets.  However, using a very experimental triple Titan, a probe was launched into LKO that will  head to Jool

VBkLJPwh.png

It will be on fumes by the time is arrives though, and won't be doing too much more than a Tylo flyby to capture around Jool

AcOu8kQh.png

Last but not least, first launch of an Acorn pod with 2 kerbals on board.  They are scheduled to spend 5 days in LKO, performing the first spacewalks before returning home.

WGF2ou8h.png

DaelYfth.png

Well, Yesterday, I built and flew an F-35-style VTOL Jet. I really struggled with taking off at first, due to the imbalance in thrust. After a lot of messing around with the thrust limiter, changing the spots of some parts, tweakscaling, part clipping, flipping, and rapid unplanned disassembly, here's some screenshots -

vXPmjQm.pnguvpLVCd.png89JOKrK.pngCR6Rbvn.pngGR178co.pnghkATTg6.pngtrlIQc4.png

Can you spot the amogus flags lol

46 minutes ago, SpaceX_Boi said:

Well, Yesterday, I built and flew an F-35-style VTOL Jet. I really struggled with taking off at first, due to the imbalance in thrust. After a lot of messing around with the thrust limiter, changing the spots of some parts, tweakscaling, part clipping, flipping, and rapid unplanned disassembly, here's some screenshots -

Very nice. I remember when I used to only make stock models, just how hard it is to get the balance right.

1 hour ago, Yukon0009 said:

QcVsMb9.png

Added a launch tower

You have two thousand 666 posts - scary lol :D 

Edited by SpaceX_Boi

A house has been launched into space! Launch the man-rocket. Oh no! IT CRASHED!!!!! That was really fun. The new Kerbal killer series from Squad!

I also climbed to the top of the island control tower

On 4/28/2021 at 1:46 PM, Geonovast said:

When you're desperately escaping the end of the world, and suddenly realize nobody's on board.

JDFcH09.png

I assume that thats a mod or a glitch