What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Updated some mods, then spent the rest of the evening trying to figure out why it had cancelled a bunch of contracts, not helped by repeated game crashes and PC reboots along the way. I think the contract structure has been changed so that I need to complete contract A to unlock B and complete B to unlock C, whereas before I could accept A, B and C at the same time (and did). This might just be one of those things where I have to cheat myself the rewards for the contracts when I’ve completed the requirements.

Remade my VTOL, a little. A removed some reaction wheels, changed the nose 'cause I didn't really like how it looked, made the back tail fins not so flat, made the piston in the back go out further, scaled the wing lander gear a little bit larger for the back engine in VTOL mode, added RCS for control in while vertically taking off or landing (cause waterfall plumes look so friggin cool), added cool looking airbrakes on the wings that deploys quickly, fixed the spot of an amogus flag, etc.

By the way, this is all done using the breaking ground expansion.;p

It's kinda' hard to control at high speeds, since I removed some of the reaction wheels. :P 

And sadly enough this was all yesterday again lol

Here's some more screenshots. ;) 

Kmr6fGv.pngJoeTkzM.pngzYKLg3y.pngmMZwhK9.png

2 minutes ago, SpaceX_Boi said:

Remade my VTOL, a little. A removed some reaction wheels, changed the nose 'cause I didn't really like how it looked, made the back tail fins not so flat, made the piston in the back go out further, scaled the wing lander gear a little bit larger for the back engine in VTOL mode, added RCS for control in while vertically taking off or landing (cause waterfall plumes look so friggin cool), added cool looking airbrakes on the wings that deploys quickly, fixed the spot of an amogus flag, etc.

Do you have the front VTOL jet set to swap to a preset custom throttle when you transition the rear hinge to forward flight? I had to do that so the nose wouldn't drop dramatically when I would transition.

20 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

Do you have the front VTOL jet set to swap to a preset custom throttle when you transition the rear hinge to forward flight? I had to do that so the nose wouldn't drop dramatically when I would transition.

No, but it's okay. ;) 

I slowly turn the back hinge to gain horizontal velocity, then I hit the space action group to reset everything back to normal flight. :) 

Swapped six large liquid-fuelled boosters and six SRBs for six twin-engined liquid-fuelled boosters in the hopes that I could get 750 tons to LEO in a single launch; it was just under 100m/s short of orbit, but when I added another 200m/s it still fell short by 50m/s :confused:

I forgot to post also what I did yesterday, so here it is: Docked new lander to SS III:

20210429163744-1.jpg

And started Minimus ground colonization, starting with this mining unit:

20210430095240-1.jpg

20210430112520-1.jpg

Tomorrow I will launch this IRSU unit:

20210430150651-1.jpg

And after that a habitation module.

Just now, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Photos taken moments before disaster. 

Lol. I almost crashed a couple times going over 100 Km/hr. But I managed to pull through driving about 2km to reach the gathering zone (where there is lots of DIAMONDS ore).

3 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Swapped six large liquid-fuelled boosters and six SRBs for six twin-engined liquid-fuelled boosters in the hopes that I could get 750 tons to LEO in a single launch; it was just under 100m/s short of orbit, but when I added another 200m/s it still fell short by 50m/s :confused:

Well, I had a response all ready to go for you...I'll leave it here.

Spoiler

You should go old school on that and asparagus up that puppy Temstar-style. Putting crap into orbit like it's 2013!

750 tonne payload / .15 (15% paywad fraction) = 5000 tonnes at launch
5000 (tonnes) * 1.25 (TWR) * 9.8 (gravity) =  61,250 kN at launch
61,250 kN *22% core = 13,475 kN in the core (a cluster of 15 vector engines)
(61250 kN * 78% booster) / 6 boosters = 7,962.5 kN on each booster. (a cluster of nine vector engines each)

5000 tonnes at launch - 50 tonnes incidentals (1%) - 750 tonnes (paywad) - 276 tonnes engines (64 Vectors @ 4t each) = 3,924 tonnes fuel tanks / 7 stacks = 560.57 tonnes per stack.
That works to each fuel stack with about seven Kerbodyne S3-14400 Tanks each. You'd want the big tanks to fit all those engines underneath. Try BZ-52s for making mount points.

Going to be one part-heavy rocket; I hope your box can handle it.

But then I read the part about this going to LEO, not LKO, so never mind. Good luck getting all that up in a single thwack...

2 minutes ago, woeller said:

I took care of my little new Minmus base today.
SPOILER_screenshot64.png

I see some of @benjee10's Planetside Parts at the bottom of the image!;p

I greatly appreciate that :) 

18 hours ago, Stormpilot said:

- snip - 

1 hour ago, woeller said:

- snip- 

That's a cool base, I may have to start a Base thread soon:D

Did some rovering today (well technically Friday but today is the first chance I got to post)

Took my Mun rover for a little spin and then launched some Scan Sats. After finding out that the closest biome was 30 km away I decided to go there. Unfortunately I underestimated how far away 30 km is and how steep the mountain I'm on is.

This is where I am, right in the middle of Death Star crater

aS3Yvwb.png

Annotated version (rover path in Yellow)

HCqn0k8.png

Heading down past really steep crater

Ror0oDf.png

passing Treacherous crater

MBNW6TL.png

some bits got really steep

Ror0oDf.png

between Treacherous Crater and the start of Inception Catena

MBNW6TL.png

yWLWfiu.png

And I still have 26 KM to go. Fortunately I've made it much farther now that I have made it down Bob Mons. Its largely a flat surface but I still need to keep an eye out for craters. 

On 4/24/2021 at 5:24 PM, ColdJ said:

I think they are concentrating on getting KSP2 up and running, anything new is up to independant mod makers I reckon

there's two completely different companies working on the games lol. KSP 2 is not being made by SQUAD, so I don't think we need to worry about that part lol

Edited by MR L A

I sent a satellite to Minmus.

aH4Wh02.png

Spoiler

mEfqJQ0.png

9weaVi8.png

And then sent a probe to Eve.

VX66xfJ.png

Spoiler

Faring separation followed by the second stage

JeSGAB7.png

CxxOer3.png

This is just after the ejection burn

4rZg8F7.png

Eve in sight

2W5Ql77.png

And finishing the capture burn.

kKsmqmr.png

And I have finally figured out the orbit over a spot contracts.

gGzRSSY.png

And now I have a launch window for Duna coming up in 27 days. Coincidence? I think not.

3 hours ago, MR L A said:

there's two completely different companies working on the games lol. KSP 2 is not being made by SQUAD, so I don't think we need to worry about that part lol

I handn't looked at any KSP2 stuff because my system wouldn't be able to handle it, thanks for the info. I live and learn.