Xeldrak

"One day you'll look to see I've gone
For tomorrow may rain, so I'll follow the sun
Some day you'll know I was the one
But tomorrow may rain, so I'll follow the sun"
  - Lennon–McCartney (  The Beatles)

A little quality fly time...

8ZkGJSv.png

Wilkin flying Courage 6 on top of the new Hygeia II rocket. Wilkin's life is less valuable to me than Jeb's or Val's, so he got to be the guinea pig for testing the new launch system as well as upgraded life support systems on a 7 day mission to munar orbit.

Dc4Gvon.jpg

9RJODeN.jpg

The payload consists of a materials laboratory and a couple of goo canisters.

2tXTvsb.jpg

The trip was pretty uneventful.  I forgot to add shielding to the capsule so Wilkin got a hearty dose of radiation passing through the Van Allen belts, but it was only ~3% of a lethal amount. That's why we test new hardware with interns. After 3 days in space Courage 6 took up a 30x30 km orbit around the Mun and Wilkin got out to do some science.

Uua605U.jpg

Wilkin only spent a few hours in munar orbit. After the science was done, Courage 6 detached from the Hygeia II S2 and burned for home.

On the way back, I received an alert that Wilkin was on the verge of a mental breakdown from being cooped up in a tiny, unpressurized cockpit for a week, unable to even take off his suit. Fortunately his stress level was only 33%, but I made a note to have some kind of shirt-sleeve crew module in the future. He also received a second Van Allen cooking on the way in. Definitely some lessons learned, but still not as disastrous as the Azimuth 5 mission from my last playthrough.

sSeI1Ky.jpg

Showing some of the upgraded internals of the Courage C spacecraft.

nEK9Hba.jpg

Wilkin survives his second mission with only mild PTSD and a moderate-to-high increase in risk of developing cancer.

PYVln2g.jpg

Edited by BadOaks

I got this contract today. I haven't even left Kerbin's SOI yet but this rich idiot wants me to take him on a Jool 5. I've played KSP for a year and still haven't visited Jool yet. But 6 million is a lot of funds so I'm going to accept:D. I feel like I should get more reputation though.

r0nXssR.png

4 hours ago, Kerminator K-100 said:

I got this contract today. I haven't even left Kerbin's SOI yet but this rich idiot wants me to take him on a Jool 5. I've played KSP for a year and still haven't visited Jool yet. But 6 million is a lot of funds so I'm going to accept:D. I feel like I should get more reputation though.

r0nXssR.png

Hi.

The offer expire at year 1, day 134. In 90 days or so.

How long do you have to do it?

Spent the last two days trying to get ponies.

It was hit and miss. Work, doesn't, work, doesn't.

Still haven't quite put my finger on why.

But it is now consistently working.

gtsqNdS.png

Still don't know if that one is male, female, foal or what.

Gelding? No, they are sentient. They wouldn't do that.

Its a cartoon.

Fine

I don't care. That crew is a pilot.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

Zephyr V launch of the Selene 6 lander.

DztI0xo.jpg

1DrNLCi.jpg

0Mf0PJx.jpg

I've been learning about dual-spin stabilized satellites and thought it'd be cool to make something like that for my next few robotic missions. And then I thought: why not slap some landing legs on it? And so the Selene 6 was born.

8DUW7OL.jpg

5WeXV2p.jpg

Fired up KSP on my old (and a bit rubbish) PC, started a new career with 10% rewards all round, made it to orbit with a slightly dubious booster setup- a Swivel-powered core with two SRBs attached via stack decouplers to a girder. 10% science returns makes things more difficult so my first few ‘launches’ were a pair of pods stuck together to roll around and gather science on the ground.

I find it a bit weird that the EVA jetpack is available from the start since it requires facility upgrades to do an EVA in space to use it; I also spotted a typo in the EVA parachute description (hopeffuly).

After a break of a few days, I got my a Minmus satellite into a polar orbit, sending back a bunch of science then tested a pair of reworked aircraft designs.

HECS-Minmus

cdifUfRh.png?1

bo95Yrkh.png?1

Jeb got to test out the improved CF-01B SuperStar, based on the basic Star with improved, afterburning engines.  Even with afterburners, it can't quite break mach 1 down low (250 m/s dry, 339 m/s wet at 1000m) but by climbing up to 3000m, Jeb was able to push through to just over mach 1 (345 m/s)

BHwXL4dh.png?1

k75ZAZdh.png?1

Val was assigned the completely new CF-02 Cobra, the first swept-wing jet, powered by a new turbofan engine.  It was an improvement in every category.  The engine begins to overheat as it accelerates, and Val was forced to reduce power after reaching 563 m/s at 1000m.  After turning around and climbing to 2500m, she was about to get up to 569 m/s before needing to throttle back.  The Cobra has a distressing tendency to ground loop after landing, and some adjustments are needed before putting it into operational service.

xJSsKcth.png?1

SUQTvGyh.png?1

Descending towards the desert airstrip, her engine dangerously hot

NZ3Itsph.png?1

Making a low pass over the airstrip before returning to land

YLJNNN5h.png?1

Been collecting ponies.

Rescued this guy (Gal?) from LKO.

1rUZc52.png

He later was Another one was the first unicorn ever to land on the Mün.

2JkcvlT.png

Just as good as any Kerman Kermen Kerbals.

Good job Perfect Timing.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

Tried out the Free IVA mod by @pizzaoverhead. Its still a WIP so there are a few bugs but the bits that work are super cool! If he can get this mod working this could be one of the best KSP mods ever!

Here I am in the Science Lab (still normal IVA, looking up)

axhjbSY.png

Then in the spot I was looking at, looking at my seat!

bCTdoKK.png

Don't mind me Val, just checking out my seat

OOWuCzO.png

Jeb, checking out the inside of the MK-1 cockpit

G39LAZs.png

and inside the Mk1- Inline

7QDz2Mh.png

You can also open hatches and walk between modules. However you can also open outside hatches, to get some air:D

0eUzOxM.png

BoQWXVT.png

I probably did I terrible job showcasing this mod, so just look at the thread. Its amazing!

3 hours ago, Kerminator K-100 said:

I probably did I terrible job showcasing this mod, so just look at the thread. Its amazing!

Well I, for one, am SOLD! :vallove::heart_eyes:

Edited by Caerfinon