What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Kerbin  (KerbalX: Wing Walker)

Jeb takes the Wing Walker out for a trial flight. Bill and Bob were supposed to come on this mission as well, but they were.. um.. called away on... um... important business. Ya that's it.  

b6eNNrA.png

Sounding Rockets, is there nothing they can't do?  TO THE SKIES!
syAmRhJ.png

Bob and Bill do not know what they are missing!

tgQSQX5.png

Bringing it home in a nearby field

lrOYfna.png

To a perfectly safe landing. This is the way,

h3ITBpq.png

Edited by Caerfinon

1 hour ago, SparkyFox said:

once i get both wheels(front and back) modeled and properly working i'll show it around, and maybe share it, but right now its very very broken XD

I'm assuming you have got every other wheel pack out there and gone through their configs to help you work out your collider, brake, traction etc settings.

Having conquered flight... let's start the space race.

Jeb soars to new heights in Werner's newest contraption going above the Karman line

PrEgIio.png

Dubbed by the Astronauts as the "the volleyball",  Jeb eagerly waits in the capsule for the inevitable contact with the planet surface.

L8Cc3ii.png

Luckily Bill packed the chute correctly and Kerbals everywhere rejoice that the first small steps into space have been made... even if it was in a volleyball.  

s0U6Jam.png

Edited by Caerfinon
spelling... always spelling.

45 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

I'm assuming you have got every other wheel pack out there and gone through their configs to help you work out your collider, brake, traction etc settings.

pretty much, especially Airplane Plus and Squad, and object inspector to get the unity stats and details.
igdJI0P.png
DCR8wFr.png

Edited by SparkyFox

4 minutes ago, SparkyFox said:

pretty much, especially Airplane Plus and Squad, and object inspector to get the unity stats and details.

Be careful with Airplane Plus. As great as their models are I find the brake settings a bit wide. Set at 95 my planes don't want to stop, set at 100 they want to lock up and slide. Mostly on the slant landing gear.

For some utterly insane reason, MechJeb decided that the best way to go from Eeloo to Duna was to do a 2km/s burn RETROGRADE instead of going prograde on the other side of Eeloo and getting the same encounter for a lot less delta-V, but I lost that node when I had to reload the game so I’ll have to redo it.

35 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

For some utterly insane reason, MechJeb decided that the best way to go from Eeloo to Duna was to do a 2km/s burn RETROGRADE instead of going prograde on the other side of Eeloo and getting the same encounter for a lot less delta-V, but I lost that node when I had to reload the game so I’ll have to redo it.

To Err is human, To really bugger things up, a computer is required.

Mechjeb is great and helps make monotonous tasks easier to deal with. But your experience, combined with readouts the Stock game gives you, will always be more efficient.

Had an assortment of work today - Kelrik & Bob spent some time running around KSC performing new science experiments until they mistakenly thought the pool by the admin building was sloped enough to drive through.  Then launched a probe eventually bound for Hamek, and finally another 3-seat direct ascent lander was launched & recovered safely.

Kel & Bob's Excellent Adventure:

Spoiler

Nope, no new science up here

3Wh9x4Hh.png?1

Hey Bob, you got the damage waiver when you rented this thing right?

YJpxjF6h.png?1

1fh00Pnh.png?1

Pathfinder to Hamek.  Only took one screenshot, of the launch.  Turns out Kerbal Alarm Clock lied - its not 20 days till the transfer, its 67.   I guess it can wait in LKO for a bit.  The 3.75m Granok launcher has a relatively weak 1st stage engine, requiring 2 pairs of Pollux boosters to get it going but it places the Pathfinder probe in orbit with ~1500 m/s remaining in the seconds stage and a whopping 5000 in the 3rd stage for interplanetary transfers.  The Pathfinder probe itself adds another 1200 to the total, putting Hamek well within reach as long as the antenna is strong enough

UFfzk0xh.png?1

ML3 to Mun

Spoiler

The veterans Val, Kelrik & Bob got another trip to Mun, to set up the first ground science station.  The less than ideal launch coupled with the extra mass of the ground station components left them a little short of dV at the end of the mission but everything worked out, if barely.   And by barely I mean I had about 60 m/s dV after heading back to Kerbin

FPs0DIXh.png?1

9TF3rnqh.png?1

EuyVkWTh.png?1

8s9UbaFh.png?1

7f6VkFch.png?1

Val kept the lander steady on the slope while Kelrik & Bob took turns setting up the solar panels & dish antenna, then the science experiments

Dcr6bqOh.png?1

dW1j9Zkh.png?1

My last flight, I staged away the lower heatshield around 3500 m/s and figured I couldn't be much faster than that when I staged.  Well, I was right - at 3600 m/s, the pod exploded within seconds.  Had to reload my quicksave & try again

4mJntaPh.png?1

But it made it down safely the second time

cL1lP7bh.png?1

Edited by Cavscout74

I landed on Duna for the first time in a career mode save! Managed to land inside one of the canyons too - however not without the loss of 3/4 Gigantor solar panels during initial aerobrake. Had I lost the last one it would have been not good. :D

20210527012708_1.jpg

20210527013406_1.jpg

3 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Question: Does anybody know if anybody ever built this in KSP?

f7dw9Is.png

Spoiler

There's this mod: https://spacedock.info/mod/1330/Gerry Anderson's Space 1999 Pack, and there's probably many people that have built stock replicas. I'm not one of them, my computer probably cant handle the partcounts of stock replicas

Edited by OrdinaryKerman
I'm an idiot

@ColdJ IIRC there was a mod that added parts for it at one time.  I think a handful of people have built stock versions over the years too, but I don't remember any specific ones.

I didn't get much done today - test flew a combination relay/science probe/lander but despite what Kerbal Alarm Clock is telling me, there is no good transfer window anytime soon, so I reverted the launch.  Everything seems to be working, so whenever a good transfer is available, it'll be good to go.  I don't have nukes or ions unlocked yet so range is limited on this version. 

Spoiler

Only 429 tons on the pad

6pkclPIh.png?1

F5NZ99Eh.png?1

Coasting to Ap & jettisoning the dual fairings (one around the lander, one around the relay)

PaIMrG6h.png?1

Orbital insertion

tIG3Mujh.png?1

Detail - I had to brighten the image a bunch to give any detail of the combo relay & lander.  The upper stage performs most of the transfer to destination, then leaves the relay powered by a Schnauzer engine to complete the trip.   The lander rides ahead of the relay.  Once reaching orbit around the destination, the interstage is staged and the relay moves clear of the upper assembly.  Once clear, the lander jettisons the interstage and prepares for landing.  At least that's the plan.  Whether it will still be a good setup in JNSQ, I don't know yet.  There should be plenty of dV for Dres or possibly Edna but not really any further.   I also have no idea (yet) how much dV the lander has.  The calculator had a fit with my design & just gives everything a "0" above the orbital stage.

rZdYZBYh.png?1

My only other accomplishment was NOT capturing an rather large asteroid on a collision course with Kerbin.  My capture vehicle was WAYYYYY to small to do much but make it spin a little.   See that little patch of light on the upper right corner of the asteroid?  That's my capture vehicle. 

AtqcxQ8h.png?1

Spoiler

Departing for its mission to save Kerbanity

o1v5q4Eh.png?1U

Umm, I may have miscalculated here.....

3H13bN3h.png?1

Yep, definitely miscalculated

XO6POgSh.png?1

Well, that's new.  Never saw an "Unholy" class asteroid.  I wonder why its called that.....

uI7sGN6h.png?1

Oh, 1.6 MILLION tons. That's why it's called an Unholy class.  And why my dV indicator reads "0".  Sorry, Kerbin.  

pjfdDokh.png?1

Hey look, I did manage to rotate a little, so at least my probe can stay charged and send back data on its way to exterminate all life on Kerbin

0adl7z8h.png?1

udGiDoIh.png?1

Probe busy exploding upon reentry

LvFSEiMh.png?1

soooo.... i made a new MQ-9 reaper wheel(its not textured properly or UV mapped)
nyYZNWR.png
this one actually turns, the wheel properly spins, the breaks work and its steady, it doesnt bounce or slide and i have no idea what ive done, only difference is I've zero'd out a few stuff and added a suspension

OhIayDU.png
3xrvdin.pngrSrMIbE.png

Edited by SparkyFox

13 minutes ago, Martian Emigrant said:

ME

Downloaded, now to see if it still works in 1.10.1

26 minutes ago, SparkyFox said:

soooo.... i made a new MQ-9 reaper wheel(its not textured properly or UV mapped)

Very cool. Hope it keeps getting better and better for you.

I updated my mod Working Underwater Lite.

After finding the magic engine I went through and found a few other mistakes. Hopefully all fixed now.

Mod has been updated to 1.1.0 as I have added some new parts for more versatility.

Change Log 1.1.0

"Senior" Marine Engine no longer runs on magic and uses Electric Charge.
"Teen" Marine Engine, found and removed hidden Alternator.
"Sub Vernier" no longer drains a country's power grid in seconds.
"Ballast Ball" now has correct name.
Added 3 sizes of Water Nacelle for use with Ships. Have battery storage instead of fuel. Be careful if used at depth as will boost thrust considerably.
Added 3 sizes of Ballast Weight that use Cold Wars Aerospaces scrap resource and can be used to balance out the extra buoyancy of engines etc. Only Adjustable when building. Can be surface attached or stack attached and used like a micro node.
Added the scrap resource to the resources config of W.U.L.
Added a huge ballast tank for when you make big subs etc out of very buoyant parts.
Went through every config file and hopefully caught everything.

Unzip in main KSP folder and allow it to overwrite previous install.

G1cII5v.png

Getting our sea legs!

Jeb and Bill underway from the harbour in the newest addition to the fleet.

CIEEn87.png

What's this contraption at the back do? it moves out....

ZI2M3TO.png

It lowers to the surface...

uotbqLo.png

oooh! It has a claw thingy on it to grab things!

UXR9sfj.png

And then it retracts back into place!

NUg6Hic.png

This is going to be a very useful vessel!  KerbalX: Recovery Ship  by Mudkip909