What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I've had a mission to take some temperature measurements on kerbin, which would have taken quite a while to ger there by plane, so instead I reenacted the Heavy Metal opening scene

https://imgur.com/a/KZZzcAD (longer set of screenshots there so I don't hog the space)

v819VuK.pngLgIh1BV.pngTyzbTiq.png

Had an assortment of missions today - Minmus landing, station crew return, and some probe launches:

First up was the launch of a Mun impactor to gather data with the previously placed passive seismometer.  As the probe approached Mun, it expended all dV in both the transfer stage and the impactor.  Final velocity just before impact was 3101 m/s.  The 0.612 ton probe slammed into the surface 4km from the seismometer, yielding 54% of the available science data.  A few minutes later, the spent transfer stage impacted at 2333 m/s several kilometers further away, providing enough of an impact to produce the remaining 46% of data.  As usual, everything important happened on the night side of Mun.

71eRmtKh.png?1

Wl6Yx7Wh.png?1

Another crew headed to Minmus, with a new pilot & engineer plus a junior scientist.  The trusty ML3 lander was modified to carry a surface experiment suite.

co4VZmqh.png?1

Spoiler

Ironically, the new crew were given the hardest landing site yet - in the Minmus highlands between two rather tall peaks

cdUwVPih.png?1

Learning from the previous crew's near disaster, this crew left a little horizontal velocity when the jettisoned the transfer stage

7kqBU24h.png?1

95dd98Dh.png?1

Return, reentry and landing all went smoothly

xHODwRuh.png?1

My Hamek-Pathfinder mission finally left LKO on a 12 1/2 year mission to Hamek

NCMxmZXh.png?1

The veteran crew at the small LKO station headed home after a month in orbit.  Nothing too exciting

8YvDeCYh.png?1

HAJCNtqh.png?1

And last but not least, thanks to the diligent work by our R&D department, the first nuclear-propelled probe launched into LKO.  Although a conventional Schnauzer engine will provide most of the energy for the Argo-4N's trip to Dres, it's final propulsion will use the tiny new KANDL nuclear rocket.   It produces a mere 6kN thrust but that is plenty for the small Argo-4.   Although Isp is substantially better than chemical rockets, it is less than ideal due to use of liquid fuel rather than LH2, a decision made to avoid problems with boil-off of the LH2.  R&D has promised larger and more efficient designs in the very near future.

a6k8F59h.png?1

I had a contract for a satellite around Dak (which orbits Edna).

Nhqd1lG.png

The only encounters I could seem to get were high delta v captures on the order of 3 km/sec. Challenge accepted.

PhnZobs.png

I used a very aggressive launch profile. BBQing at 40 KM altitude.

lTTa1l9.png

Trans Edna burn. 

anM50oe.png

We arrive at Edna and begin the capture burn.

qPJirZl.png

Several orbital maneuvers later we encounter Dak.

ZzImtmb.png

Sunrise on Dak.

yB8fj8N.png

And wow Dak is lumpy. I have a 10.9 KM PE and I'm at 2200 meters AGL.

Gp2qdw2.png

And had many failures attempting to get a satellite around Kerbol in the correct orbit trying to use Eve slingshots. I was trying to avoid a multi-year trip out beyond Jool to get the cheapest Delta V inclination change.

hAfGSCc.png

Been having fun with the Space 1999 parts trying to make them more user friendly, realistic and pretty to the eye. Haven't found a satisfying IVA for the Eagle cockpit so turned an OPT 1 into a Falcon. Still trying to get the Passenger pod to be able to re-dock with the transport frame.

JXJPSez.pngxVeXD3E.pngTyy5gDD.png7qNaYhR.pnghrxvjaN.png

21 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

Excellent work. That runway shot is seriously mesmerising. :heart_eyes:

You must see it "live". It's way more impressive when animated - I'm going to setup my recording gadgets as soon as I can, this will worth it!

I need to tell you, I was a bit skeptic about the "real need" of WaterfallFX. It was nice since the beginning, without the slightest doubt, but so was SmokeScreen too (and since my main gaming is still 1.7.3, I had very few personal reasons to work on WaterfallFX - I'm not going to move to >= 1.8 in the near future, but a fellow Kerbonaut made a request and so, I decided to work on it as he requested) .

However, when I finally managed to make this work on TweakScale and saw the air breathing engine's exhausts while working on this... Dude.... What a sight, just plain beautiful. :)

A new airport has opened at Heavenly Valley so I thought I'd fly in and take a look.  Apparently a ski chalet will open in the mountains nearby for helicopter traffic with maybe a very short strip with a tricky approach for prop commuters.

4cq3crL.png   p0ScGNu.png   xmGHa5b.png   bH23WE8.png  [click + arrows]

And the first commercial arrival, an UltraPaxjet-W, arrives after a 27m flight from Kerbal Space Center.

wAPk0p6.png

Edited by Hotel26

Got the RCS thrusters looking and sounding right. I have given up in frustration ,trying to get the Passenger Pod to re-dock with the frame itself. It is because the parts came with a rescale factor of 2.6, so if you part stack a docking port in the when you undock they spring apart energetically, never to reunite. Only solve was to  create a grabber with crossfeed and put it in the pods roof so that it grabs on when you use the landing legs to push back up.

wEJ1XRA.pngOkAaWWV.png

2 hours ago, ColdJ said:

So do I. where is the dealership?

SPACEDOCK

The mod was last updated for 1.3.0 so a few things don't quite work as expected.

Such as preloading a Kerbal to the front seat.

The Mün buggy is the best part.

My first build didn't roll forward. The wheels appear round but they do have an up and down axis to steer.

When putting the wheels on, in the SPH, rotate them 90°.

Careful driving as they barrel-roll a lot. On the Mün anyway. Didn't try them in other gravity.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

f i n a l l y!! I've got these accursed wheel finally working! the suspensions works(not in the way i want to, but ksp limitations of being local transform and other stuff)
steering, braking(very stable at that) wheel spinning  and touching the ground properly! 
3P2FFhf.png

pF2Nowo.png

ouaqxsG.png

NSuwpsj.png

JmA3DcL.png

EYeGXIB.png

QDcqSUI.png

Now for back wheels

Edited by SparkyFox

Hey all.

Valentina and Jeb are still testing the new Mün Buggy.

This time in the administrator's pool.

DfuTZxz.png

Val: That is strange it should float as it is based on the Amphicat.

Spoiler

Jeb: I just remembered that the administration's pool is just a hologram as it is not at sea level.

He then proved it by walking at the bottom of the pool.

xRROR0D.png

They then went to the shore to sea see if it would float.

HhEL6fP.png

After reporting their findings to Bill he did is own series of test.

cn7Yx8b.png

Bill confirmed that indeed it doesn't float and can be driven underwater if badly.

It also need a reaction wheel.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

1 hour ago, Martian Emigrant said:

Hey all.

Valentina and Jeb are still testing the new Mün Buggy.

This time in the administrator's pool.

DfuTZxz.png

Val: That is strange it should float as it is based on the Amphicat.

Reveal hidden contents

Jeb: I just remembered that the administration's pool is just a hologram as it is not at sea level.

He then proved it by walking at the bottom of the pool.

xRROR0D.png

They then went to the shore to sea see if it would float.

HhEL6fP.png

After reporting their findings to Bill he did is own series of test.

cn7Yx8b.png

Bill confirmed that indeed it doesn't float and can be driven underwater if badly.

It also need a reaction wheel.

ME

What mod did you use for the body? TELL ME NOW I have a rover contract and want to use that body.

I went to Minmus to clear up some contracts.

BLGoZBp.png

Bob gets his second star with this EVA

bGYyy44.png

Time to go back home.

kiSgx1y.png

And good chutes all round.

MH1h4Tm.png

Next up it was Mun contracts including a world first to bring back a space craft from the Mun. Since 3 kerbals were close to leveling up a 3 person Mun Direct Mission was tasked to the engineers. Things may have gotten out of hand.

1RWH8xs.png

But it goes fast.

PbyqBFk.png

Three kerbals, Three flags.

mCOdGVs.png

This is just after the burn for Kerbin.

Rcav3BZ.png

Yep the heatshield is working. So far.

4fbciZv.png

And a successful mission was had by all.

tvybp1c.png

Nothing particularly exciting or photogenic today.   2 probe launches to Eeloo; one of them carrying 2 comsats with RA-100 antennas to go in high polar orbit and provide a comm link to the KSC, and the other with 3 comsats each with RA-15s for equatorial orbits to relay short-range signals out to the RA-100s. 

the nearly 4-year (in game) trip is going to take quite some time IRL before I finally get there, though.  It's a career save and I have several other interplanetary missions in=progress or soon to launch (Comsats to Jool and a whole infrastructural fleet to Duna/Ike are in-transit now, and launching "soon" (for values of "soon" that are short compared to Eeloo transit times) are comsats to Dres and an infrastructure fleet to Eve/Gilly.  (I might even send something toward Moho.  So I doubt that I'll be reporting back with a meaningful post-mission debrief any time soon.

2 hours ago, Singhnaut said:

What mod did you use for the body? TELL ME NOW I have a rover contract and want to use that body.

SPACEDOCK

The Mün buggy is part of that mod.

It as not been updated in years. Expect funny stuff.

It drives funny. Like driving on ice.

You can't pre-load a Kerbal to the front seat. He as to board it.

Make sure the wheels are the right way up when assembling.

There is an arrow on the inside of the wheels.

The buggy as 2000 units of electrons. But no way of charging as such.

ME

47 minutes ago, Martian Emigrant said:

SPACEDOCK

The Mün buggy is part of that mod.

It as not been updated in years. Expect funny stuff.

It drives funny. Like driving on ice.

You can't pre-load a Kerbal to the front seat. He as to board it.

Make sure the wheels are the right way up when assembling.

There is an arrow on the inside of the wheels.

The buggy as 2000 units of electrons. But no way of charging as such.

ME

thanks

12 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

A new airport has opened at Heavenly Valley so I thought I'd fly in and take a look.  Apparently a ski chalet will open in the mountains nearby for helicopter traffic with maybe a very short strip with a tricky approach for prop commuters.

4cq3crL.png   p0ScGNu.png   xmGHa5b.png   bH23WE8.png  [click + arrows]

And the first commercial arrival, an UltraPaxjet-W, arrives after a 27m flight from Kerbal Space Center.

wAPk0p6.png

Is this Kerbal Konstruct of KSC extended? Also, they work with 1.11.2?