What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

3 minutes ago, Single stage to ocean said:

Could a kerbalism grand tour SSTO be possible(doesn't visit all planets, uses shuttles)

somebody made a completely reusable grand tour (used the approach of landing on the highest mountain on eve). of course, that required isru. in the relaxed kerbalism rules of using regular isru, then it's certainly possible, though risky - to cut weight and make everything reusable, one would have to sacrifice reliability. but one may get lucky and break nothing anyway.

with the full kerbalism rules, including isru... well, technically possible to run a mission lasting centuries without breaking anything. but highly unlikely.

500 liquid fuel mk3 tanks and 800 s4 tanks and 800 mammoths with twr ~1.5 with mass of 220 kilotons, with two ignitioned mammoths and nervs and an eve ssto in the cargo bay,  4200 wings, all landers and some shuttles between planets could do it. Brad whistance could lauch a megaton rocket stock

Edited by Single stage to ocean

I finally got to play with the payload crane part that I made for my Mk-33 mod. The payload crane is a single robotics part that has an overhead trolley. The trolley has several KAS winches to raise and lower payloads into and out of the Mk-33.

zttp7Qv.pngRlIdpPW.png

luaTTpi.png

msJQvJk.png

oqlPlkJ.png

iyMoSpp.png

pNMMXHa.png

L0bF9DD.png

XV9VD96.png

ZA5nXbs.png

19Nsyks.png

PBbfTef.png

2cTTyiA.png

IKKjc26.png

D7c5Nac.png

More launches for my crewed JNSQ mission to Duna, with a Lynx rover, life support supply ship & a small surface base plus probes to Moho and another to Lindor and a deep space relay to position itself between Jool & Lindor

The Duna-Lynx heading for orbit.  It will keeps its payload fairing to protect the rover during aerobraking at Duna so there isn't much to see

kXbX9Rrh.png?1

4ZiGImqh.png?1

Duna Outpost - has living quarters for up to 4 crew & life support for well over a year on the surface.  Has a hitchhiker for quarters, with some 1.25m parts on top for a command center & four radial 1.25m fuel tanks feeding a quartet of Terrier engines for landing, assisted by 4 drogue chutes.  The four radial fuel tanks also give a nice wide footprint for stability on the ground.

TN7VMAYh.png?1

Life support tanker - Not really much to say, carries food, oxygen & water, plus a little extra LF & LFO for the manned mission to restock with.  Used the same launcher as the previously launched fuel tankers

ddFKJ41h.png?1

Pathfinder-Moho:  A 3.75m launch vehicle to put a 0.625m probe into Moho orbit.  The two transfer stages have over 8000 m/s dV combined, plus over 1700 m/s on the probe itself.  First launch using just-unlocked 3.75m engines instead of the cluster of Mainsails I've been using on my 3.75m launches previously.

Spoiler

gLNQbz2h.png?1

cUTPOLFh.png?1

jvlqJRxh.png?1

P58Tqcmh.png?1

N5Kd5oQh.png?1

Pathfinder-Lindor - ditched the gold foil wrapping & swapped out the solar panels for a pair of small RTG's for power, but otherwise very similar to the previous launch.  The dV available is actually in excess of what should be needed for Lindor, something I've not experienced much in JNSQ

9KPIYbBh.png?1

B8iejKAh.png?1

DgBBynvh.png?1

Deep Space Relay - Based on the Voyager bus, & retaining its power supply (RTG), it mounts the largest currently available antenna and will depart Kerbin orbit about the same time as Pathfinder-Lindor so it hits its Ap between Jool & Lindor near the time when Pathfinder-Lindor will be reaching it's destination and (hopefully) ensure good signal for the Lindor mission.  Used the same launcher as the two previous probes, except it omitted the 2.5m upper stage, using the 3.75m third stage as the transfer stage which should be more than enough to put it into the desired orbit around Kerbol.

hTzfZNCh.png?1

Spent 2nd stage falling back to Kerbin, nearly 1/2 full of fuel still - due to the hasty change to omit the 4th stage, I didn't provide any method of disposing of the 2nd stage so I had to jettison it when Pe was below 40km, leaving the 3rd stage to finish orbital insertion and a bunch of wasted fuel to burn up in the atmosphere

enQFK7ph.png?1

Edited by Cavscout74

19 hours ago, KSC Command was quite jubilant about having found a super-secret mountain-top location on Eve (right on the equator), at an altitude of 6,439 meters.  It is a pretty flat site and quite large.  Easy to land a rocket glider on reliably.  Mauve Mountain, we've proudly called it.

Since then, we've noticed that heavy/expensive equipment (rocket-powered interplanetary vessels), parked atop the aforesaid location tend to "drift" at rates measured up to 5 cm/s.  We weren't happy.  We all Trust in Squad as they say, but on this occasion, we felt that Squad had let us down.  :) 

A few hours in a bulldozer and we flattened the site.  Brought in a few makeshift buildings to make it seem a little less barren and a little more businesslike.  [click + arrows]

(Imagine our surprise, though, when the KSC grass we imported turned a funny hue of purple within a few minutes!  Oh well, it did look out of place.)

wUXRg3E.png   cUwOev3.png

So, problem solved.  But inasmuch as this has been a costly affair for the long-suffering taxpayer, we've successfully sued for a Rule Change.

In brief, "since KSP (1.7.3) vehicles have this magical power to overcome friction at any time of most inconvenience, we have now command of a crawler-way tractor to position rockets landed on the mountain-top to the launch pad".  It's only fair!!

We have dubbed this machina ex Squad: Vessel Mover.

[And yeah, we know about grip strips, but our principal vehicle sports a Papa dock for base and we're not gonna deface it...]

Edited by Hotel26

Deployed the "Wild Rover" to the Mun under usage of a big Skycrane:

The Wild Rover (tm) is equiped with refueling capabilities and can couple to a landed spaceship via it's multifunctional claw on the front. It's also equipped with many science experiments. It's truly autonomous and self sufficient. Currently it's crewed with Miles O' Kerman and Keiko O'Kerman. Maybe there will be more kerbals after leaving it alone for some months :D

3jOiQ9p.jpg

nSNam4T.jpg

Yes, it uses a little part clipping but only for aesthetics, as all my crafts. Nothing too cheaty.

Edited by Rakete

Minmus.PNG

KSP hasn't been working for me. So while it isn't, i've been getting my relative to play KSP. He's making very fast progress especially with the assistance he can get from me live. It's very fun to watch him live play this, especially since I can help him when he has a question or doesn't understand something. In the past 30 hours he's gotten from mastering orbit to landing on minmus.

Here's some screenshots he took:

screenshot2.pngscreenshot9.pngscreenshot12.pngscreenshot13.pngscreenshot14.png

On 6/6/2021 at 11:54 AM, Martian Emigrant said:

Fun was had by all. They can't wait to do it again.

Great minds. I did the same using my micro docking port. Here is a fun game. Spawn with 1 attached to the front and one attached to the back and then get up to speed on the runway. release both ends simultaniously and maneuver out from inbetween them, get in behind and try to catch and reconnect with both before they go off the runway. Very satisfying when you pull it off. :D

Here are some pics of it's big brother. I have been reconfiging and retexturing Gerry Anderson models to make them balanced and a bit cooler looking. This looks good(in my opinion) and I almost have my extra nodes all configured.

SxfaaD6.png

Spoiler

omWt5Sz.png

6VdWThl.png

Spoiler

73t8lQk.pngl3KPXm3.pngiYBYLyL.png

aeXa9fr.png

I am slowly working it into a full research and mobile lab rover.

I put a 22m radio telescope into a Kerbin-trailing solar orbit:

kFRpYBJ.png

WfnYvv3.png

Folded up, it fits comfortably in a 2.5m fairing. Now time to test the deployment sequence before doing the escape burn:

SBYwISC.png

n9SccBu.png

nrcADEa.png

GBZ7r0l.png

The hinged and telescoping arms have science experiments on the ends, as well as deployable arms with RCS control pods on each end, allowing for quick pointing of the telescope and keeping everything free from the thruster blast. Now time for the main event:

HfB9OUh.png

ZwcNd7P.png

Mcko8Tv.png

Time to fold everything back up and engage the arc-jet thrusters. They use monoprop and electricity to create a hybrid drive somewhere between a nuclear rocket and ion thrusters. Much lower ISP than xenon motors, but more efficient than the alternatives, and they allow for a single fuel on the telescope. 

5pWmcc9.png

VIdWusK.png

X5feMHZ.png

fvs7jeM.png

Arriving on station, in an orbit that should stay clear of Kerbin's SOI for ~ 1700 years:

m7wBP0K.png

szlRfw4.png

Ogj2k09.png

Facing radial out from the sun, it should be able to search for deep space signals and possibly even signs of life outside of the Kerbol system...

Got in a few more launches, including the crew for the manned Duna mission.  I did make one mistake - the crew launch vehicle was hastily thrown together and I remembered every detail except one:  a probe core to more it after the crew departed.   The crew will depart LKO in about 4 days, giving them time to fully check out the Red Scout 1 exploration ship.  I also managed to get the first of the Duna fleet headed towards the red planet - one of the tankers. 

Yet another tanker, with a mix of LFO & LF as a backup

bvFhCYWh.png

I also squeezed in a Minmus impactor to get the passive seismic science

SzX3ys3h.png

NOl04AUh.png

Impact was <7km from the sensor at over 3000 m/s, more than enough to gather all data from Minmus

YjE0Lzeh.png

Final new launch was the Crew Transfer Vehicle, capable of taking up to 5 crew to orbit.  Flew very nicely except for that whole "no probe core" thing, so now it is stuck pointing nose normal with the solar panels barely catching any sun and the lights left on. 

2OiVeS8h.png

Rendezvous & docking were smooth

rNhoJ2Oh.png

9MGJm4Ih.png

Tanker "A" departed on time, to be followed in a day by the station tug

jyHjTXEh.png

2 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Great minds. I did the same using my micro docking port. Here is a fun game. Spawn with 1 attached to the front and one attached to the back and then get up to speed on the runway. release both ends simultaniously and maneuver out from inbetween them, get in behind and try to catch and reconnect with both before they go off the runway. Very satisfying when you pull it off. :D

Here are some pics of it's big brother. I have been reconfiging and retexturing Gerry Anderson models to make them balanced and a bit cooler looking. This looks good(in my opinion) and I almost have my extra nodes all configured.

I am slowly working it into a full research and mobile lab rover.

Hey.

Funny that you are working on other Gerry Anderson stuff (Shado Mobile Unit) here is what Jeb was doing earlier today.

JlKsoCi.png

eUIJyZv.png

aH1uzL8.png

I haven't payed with the mobile unit but I can tell you the interceptor need a lot of work.

But man that thing pulls 5 Gees with infinite power.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

10 minutes ago, Martian Emigrant said:

Hey.

Funny that you are working on other Gerry Anderson stuff (Shado Mobile Unit) here is what Jeb was doing earlier today.

JlKsoCi.png

eUIJyZv.png

aH1uzL8.png

I haven't payed with the mobile unit but I can tell you the interceptor need a lot of work.

But man that thing pulls 5 Gees with infinite power.

ME

I went a slightly different way. I balanced mine, less powerful but more than capable of getting off planet. also flies in atmosphere without needing the vtol to keep it up. And I have got it down to only needing 1 texture file for the engines so you can change textures in game. 2 variants that look good so far and 2 I'm trying to have the colour come out right.

reiq97T.pngvffrMf2.png

This is for you for the buggy. Not quite what I expected but I hope you will like it. Starry Night.

Spoiler

SJxui9N.png

9RHwdub.pngRgn5rJQ.png

Ironically, summer brings even more stuff than when school was still in session. So, my current save has been running for a while now, totaling to 9 in game years (I mainly stick around Kerbin). However, while doing everything I was working on, I missed some important stuff: the Mun and Minmus. After touching them from Year 1 - Year 2, they've been pretty much neglected since I focused on new stations and interplanetary shenanigans. So, I took my first (minor) step to try and fix this issue, as the flotilla of interplanetary EVs headed to Duna and Eve don't depart for about 2 more years.

Last time we left off, we finally visited Wilmon Kerman, alone at Mungate Station for 7 years.  (link below)

Today, he finally comes home!

7bVEoYI.png

Since I'm quite lazy, I'm returning both the ANTS and the Expeditioner together. Also, the fact that the Expeditioner is a pretty sucky craft, with no remote control (Wilmon is an engineer). And besides 'realism' (ignore the fact that he was stuck around the mun for 7 years with no company).

vrf1aCq.png

rPTfnBN.png

vNWRAYY.png

The ANTS stack settles in orbit relatively easily, and Wilmon undocks. The meager controls are barely enough with Wilmon onboard, and we avoid an accident like last time. The deorbit burn goes flawlessly. 

ieQo10H.png

Decoupling also happens fine, which is surprising given the Expeditioner's shoddy past in decoupling (part of why I moved on).

wKe9Jc0.png

tv6gRFG.png

Reentry goes without a hitch and the drogues deploy. Nothing wrong except for a minor mishap with extending the floats, which are quickly retracted.

bW7GG2A.png

WsOTkIY.png

XMv2ADO.png

2ggztVy.png

Luck seems to be on our side. The capsule lands perfectly on a beautiful beach.

0XMvTjU.png

1clbskK.png

uDuE6mk.png

jqjxqE5.png

Wilmon walks around and does the obligatory moody stare into the distance, finally bringing the (Expeditioner 4? can't remember) mission to an end after 7 years of him sitting around in Mungate station's centrifuge. The only remaining remnant of the Expeditioner-class is Expeditioner 5? docked to Minmus Outpost, with a crew of 3 (ignoring the part of 158 debris floating throughout the Kerbol System. I should probably do something about that).

The Right Stuff

Finally made it into orbit with manned vessel (this low tech start has it's challenges)

On the pad

yWLfuMx.png

Launch!

W7kXcXE.png

Booster separation

ndEAgAU.png

1st Stage away

XJmJtLZ.png

Orbit achieved!

j4ua0SS.png

Stage 2 released and de-orbit trajectory gets a bit warm

rsiOIJM.png

Splash down and home safe.

f3LjYfg.png

All stages recovered successfully. 

Designed and landed a rover with science equipment for my WIP moon base project that I am starting.

Built with durability in mind, it's one of the most stable rovers i've ever made, and pretty much the only thing that can really cause any damage is a direct hit of the front/back of the vehicle directly into the floor.

Houses 2 people and has ALL science equipment. Top speed of 49m/s, but VERY slow acceleration. Flipper capability provided with landing gears.

KIS/KAS capability and can be used to tow.

Some nice shots of testing:

5BX5u3L.png

loMeaGo.png

Rt5Qj7H.png

7WZTPt8.png

On the moon:

akp0pji.png

IT FLIES!!!!:

PIp8soN.png(it landed this jump, somehow. Kerbal physics amirite : P)

Not to flex or anything, but I landed on Kerbol :cool:

https://imgur.com/a/2tYSzQo

How to do this? Simple.

1) Go to the Mun's north pole with your favorite Elcano rover

2) Plant a flag directly at the pole and watch how it somehow gets shifted by 200 m

3) Try to leave that rover hell

4) Fall through glitched terrain

5) Panic

6) Get puzzled as the flag you planted explodes for no reason while you're far below it

7) Brace for the worst at -250 m

8) Watch as nothing happens

9) Wait for periapsis

10) Get YEETED at 42000 g by the singularity at the center, and reach a speed of 160 km/s

11) Exit the Mun at literal breakneck speed and watch as you are still "landed"

12) Once above Kerbin, grab impossible results such as the gravimeter while landed on water since you're at it

13) Exit Kerbin's gravity since you go so fast

14) ???

15) (not that much of a) Profit! (no seriously I got that little science for somehow landing on a star?!?)

P.S. How do you embed images with imgur? The forum's function didn't work for this link

Edited by MinimalMinmus

@MinimalMinmus

Sounds like you broke the game.

XtlyBEz.png

You can paste the picture direct link to the post and the forum will post it as an image.

If that fails click the "Insert Image from URL" button in the right-bottom corner of the post reply box.

Then paste the same direct link to the picture.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant