What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Yup, probably my favorite update thusfar after the one that let you edit stuff beyond the VAB with engineers...

UMArQk6.png

rJFtNQ6.png

Fighters are actually super useful now (and the part counts across the board have dropped to near irrelevance)...

3AxBULb.png

turrets are now viable too since wasting a couple shots isnt a big deal when i have 144 shots per side of the ship (and i only ate 48 parts for the entire broadside setup, 100 total per ship is nothing compared to old fashioned weapons tech).  Also, these are reloadable too which is a nice touch imo since you would eventually run out of ammo regardless and have to ship more of these things up to the vessel.PCxQKYb.png

tBXamaN.png

n3BMY6A.png

And best of all, fully aimeable broadside firepower :)...

Now all i have to do is recreate my all time favorite scene from any sci-fi movie, the 1st 10 minutes or so of Revenge of the Sith (the starfighters, then the deckgun broadside slugest)...

Gi7XFgx.png

"Prepare for attack"

h9Yd9kt.png

"All batteries, FIRE FIRE"

2CDPiux.png

QNo2EWC.png

Ok, handdown, BEST UPDATE EVER!

Edited by panzer1b

54 minutes ago, panzer1b said:

Now all i have to do is recreate my all time favorite scene from any sci-fi movie, the 1st 10 minutes or so of Revenge of the Sith (the starfighters, then the deckgun broadside slugest)...

Gi7XFgx.png

"Prepare for attack"

h9Yd9kt.png

2CDPiux.png

QNo2EWC.png

That’s a great scene.

How do you reload the fireworks?

27 minutes ago, Admiral Fluffy said:

That’s a great scene.

How do you reload the fireworks?

you cant, but u can send new ones up to orbit and dock em to the hardpoints (if they are reloadable designs)...

Used my last single-use Moon lander to return two crew from my Moon base to my Moon station, from which they'll head back home at some point in the near future; probably when I can get a new crew out to inhabit both base and station. Also docked my second reusable Moon lander to that station and launched a resupply mission for the base.

And in a totally different game of KSP, discovered that GPP's Thalia has some kind of thermal field that can heat up your spacecraft to the point where things start exploding- solar panels, antennae, all the crew modules...

Just floating around in an Otter pod.  I call it, a "SeaBee".  Not to be confused with a Seamoth, or Seaflea, or any other Seabugs :P

Had to modify the .cfg to allow for its own intake of water, which allows me to use the RCS for propulsion:

screenshot217.png

I thought I needed the extra batteries because I wasn't sure the heat panels were going to dissipate the internal reactor's heat fast enough, but it turns out I really do not need the capacitors or extra batteries, except for somewhere to mount the heat panels:

screenshot218.png

Wait - what??

screenshot219.png

Edited by Sarxis

well ive finalized my newest SK-VI Dimension-VII cruiser...

eFWVIao.png

I gave the primary forward batteries fx that make them look like beam weapon (even though its just lots of shells fired in a stream).  The side cannons look a bit janky when aimed at certain angles (they are a tad clipped into the hull and are only fully exposed when aiming sideways/rearwards), but they work and i was able to use the 32 shot cannisters since its just too many parts (and not enough ammo) to ustify using the 8 shot ones on a ship of this size, those are mostly left for fighters or as purely emergency backup weapons on ships that arent normally intended to get into point blank ranges.

IzTt5Rc.png

19VANzz.png

Its got a grand total of 672 rounds of ammo, utterly mad given that its only a total of  60 parts for said amount of ammunition (and 6 of the 7 hardpoints are fully turreted and can fire in a fairly solid angle, directly forward, and about 60degrees in every other direction, with a not that hard to aim setup either.  Fires by default 3 per second on the side turrets, so a total of 1.6 minutes of continuous fire (has 2 controllers with 2 rates, 1 button to enable slow firing aiming mode, the other to enable higher ROF once you are aimed in properly to not waste too much of the ammo and even 600 rounds doesnt last indefenetely).

lO7mg72.png

Damage is also much more enjoyable then stock weapons, no more splitting ships in half reliably (unless they are made like crap or something), but the internals close to the impacted side get obliterated (fuel tanks, engines, anything that isnt high impact tolerance will drop quick).  And yeah, i dont use the KAL speed overclocking, its just not needed and actually takes all the fun away since a single 32 shot canister is 100% certain to completely kill any ship when the impact speed is ~200-300m/s, more and it just phases thru too much and isnt really all tha useful anyways.

EapAgwX.png

Now my next plan, redesign the Nebula class frigate as its now pathetivcally easy to knock out with just 3 massive and easy to snipe out NTR engines and the interior while solid at stopping stock weapons that arent too large (wont stop a 10t heavy torp), doesnt even attempt to stop the firework cannons from dropping the interior.  I think my best bet is going to be using the DImension's core layout, and then keep the rest similar to what it already is...

16 hours ago, panzer1b said:

"Prepare for attack"

2CDPiux.png

Now imagine it using this mod too:

My esteemed colleague, @swjr-swis, spent some time reverse-engineering my latest creation, Bee, with which I had encountered some obstructed hatch problems.  Test-flying his results.  And I must say...  what a delight!

So, for your entertainment:

This, is how I want to go to work every day!!

Edited by Hotel26

12 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

my latest creation, Bee, with which I had encountered some obstructed hatch problems.

Unfortunately I couldn't solve the hatch obstruction for this particular variant. I honestly can't riddle KSP's obstruction code in this instance.

I really like how it flies though. Fun little plane.

15 hours ago, Sarxis said:

somewhere to mount the heat panels

I cheated... I just added radiators to the pod

Spoiler

@PART[MiniSub_Pod]:Needs[UmbraSpaceIndustries/SubPack]
{
    // Adds the equivalent of two Edge Radiators to the pod
    MODULE,0
	{
		name = ModuleActiveRadiator
		maxEnergyTransfer = 20000
		overcoolFactor = 0.25
		isCoreRadiator = true
		parentCoolingOnly = true
		RESOURCE
		{
			name = ElectricCharge
			rate = 0.025
		}		
	}
}

2 hours ago, Pikapolar said:

How do you do this?

Your most basic turret features a servo for traverse, and a hinge for elevation.  Below shows you hat one looks like with the hinges pulled away from the assembly (normally i try to hide the hinges/servos asthetically as a joint going around a ball or cylinder).

0TkPhGb.png

Its really that simple, then you bind an axis to traverse and axis to elevation.  On my tanks i use IKJL, or the default RCS controls since i dont normally use RCS on vehicles (and these controls arent used for wheels), and for ships (which use RCS), i bind them to wheel controls which ive remapped to arrow keys since i dont like the wheels and the reaction wheels to be on the same controls (that and i swap roll and picth cause its super counterintiutive when im so used to AD being roll in like every aircraft game ive ever played).  Basically in space, you use arrow keys to aims the guns, and i have one KAL for each turret group, and 1 more KAL to reset all turrets to aim forward.  This is both useful if i want to engage something by aiming the ship and not turrets, and it allows you to fire with every weapon on the ship at once provided the turrets are placed smart and can actually aim at stuff directly in front of the ship.  If the turrets cant aim forwards, i usually have this KAL make them aim directly to the sides or any default orientation that allows me to use the ship itself to aim at stuff or just to reset their position since i bind every turret to the same arrow key movement and that means that different directions will aim differently.  Still, it is generally best to have the guns at least able to aim forwards in unison, a reason why imo ships that taper down to the front like the star destroyer lineup tend to make some sense (aside from the stupid idea of making the bridge not redundant and sticking out that much), not that big a crosssection from the front, but you can potentially aim everything to the front and still have at least half the guns aimeable to the sides (only issue is the rear but its not a big deal to put some smaller point defenses there to stop fighters or anything more agile).

ionmEtu.png

aNNTC9z.png

The other type of turret is what i call a flexible emplacement, just 2 hinges (same configuration as above, they just move side to side and are more limited in angle usually).  Normally mounted on sides of ships instead of top/bottom, and 90% of the time you want one or the other or it becomes too complicated to manage that many turret groups with just 4 buttons (and using any more makes it even more complex to fire at anything).  Maybee someone will make a mod to have turrets autolock on nearby targets regardless of ship orientation (id try to do it myself if i wasnt so mentally drained everyday i get back from work, and what time i do have id rather spend actually playing games, or just going outside like we used to before computers existed :)), but until that happens we are stuck with manual traverse only which is fine when you are aiming at things the size of a capital ship from within 200m...

h4SYCtT.png

6ilnVwL.png

y1YnWJc.png

DHke6xm.png

Again, they look a bit janky when aimed upwards (since too much of the massive firework canister is visible, but they work, they are reasonably low on parts.  3 parts minimum to make a working turret with 32 shots in it, up to 5 if you want it to be reloadable, and in the case of the Venator asthetic it goes up to 10 per turret which is actually very reasonable all things considered, 83 parts for the entire ship counting the KALs to control it and you get 512 shots out of it total.

qn6EemX.png

YqUGsVd.png

Now lets just hope they fix the bug that breaks the colors on reverting, and resets to default on copy/paste as i set 1 turret to the right color, the rest are sto\ck :(...

On 5/17/2013 at 11:06 PM, Xeldrak said:

So, what did you do in KSP today? I'm working on my project to touch down on every object in the system without mechjeb, so everything is done by hand. I launched a rocket (Project D-Man)to Duna yesterday and today I landed on Duna . After taking off, I realized that I could land on Ike too. This way I don't have to visit the Duna-system again. However - it seems I did a slight miscalculation and only reached Ike orbit....with a 30 km apoapsis.

So, I converted a space-tug I had in storage into a interplanetary towing service and left for Duna. Yeah, it has mechjeb, because I did all the landing allready and its better than just leaving my faithfull kerbals in Ike orbit (my project - my rules :wink: ). So both ships met in Ike-orbit, where I accidently triggered the last stage seperator on D-Man just after docking. However after a few months of waiting for the right planetary alignment - the D-Man capsule is on its way home :D And yes, I did not have to attend any lectures today - so there was plenty of time for KSP ;)

So, what about you?

I got a stable orbit around Jool:cool::science: 

Spoiler

:cool:

Spoiler

Edited by The Science Maniac

I made my firework truck with red, white, and blue fireworks for Independence Day. Video coming soon.

I also accidentally destroyed one of the radio telescopes at the tracking station.

Edited by Ben J. Kerman

1RTv2N0.png

I made a refueling station on Tekto, which is the equivalent of Titan in the Outer Planets Mod. I'm really proud of how it turned out, although I just teleported it there as it would be insanely difficult to build normally. The ISRU system is a custom simplified version of Rational Resources with no additional parts or phase changing mechanics.

Water (H2O) is drilled from the ground and broken into hydrogen (LH2) and oxygen (LOX), while nitrogen (LN2) and methane (CH-4) are directly extracted from the atmosphere. Monoprop (N2H4)  is then created by combining hydrogen with nitrogen.

The oxygen and methane are used for refueling the main engines of the ship, while monoprop is used for the ship's RCS.

PNhewT2.png

t4eOFBW.png

Full Album: https://imgur.com/a/gER7wKZ

Edited by coyotesfrontier

Visited anomalies for the first time in over a year of playing the game.

Today:

SgA37SQ.png
A few minutes after taking off from KSR's Kojave Sands (because it's closer. I don't want to fly transcontinental in this thing, even though it's very much capable of doing so). No, that green monolith isn't our destination. I visited it earlier, but accidentally killed the crew on takeoff back to Kojave. That's why Jeb isn't piloting this.

UQ2YyDE.png

CwQuQm0.png
Trying to land close, but still can't see it

9rrJmHz.png
Landed, but still don't see whatever the anomaly is. I'll have to taxi around a bit...

wTFWv6q.png
What's that?

CchLuMA.png
An original Koddard Mk0?

9nSoVDu.png
Flag planted, lights deployed, and photo.

v2HWVEo.png
(There's actually two lights deployed, one is behind the plane)

Spoiler

eM0198I.png

iuAx29v.png
Since Kerbal Konstructs' editor window isn't working in 1.12, I'll have to import the flag and tripod lights to 1.11.2 so I can build the wheat farm later. I'll also fix Kojave ASFB's terrain color.

The Goddard rocket is just west of the Tut-Un-Jeb-Ahn Desert Temple (which I visited yesterday), on the opposite side of the hills as the temple. Also for those who have Making History, it's apparently on the grounds of the Dessert Airfield.

Edited by OrdinaryKerman

My fleet of Mars missions is arriving- rather conveniently beginning with the scanning and mapping satellite which should make picking out landing sites that much easier. There’s a rover, a sample return lander, a sample collection probe to visit Phobos and Deimos and an orbiter that will collect all those samples and send them back to Earth, a pretty major logistical operation that took quite some time to design and which has a great many contracts to fulfil.

The low-res altimeter scans took just a couple of days to complete, after which the mapping probe was moved to a much higher orbit where its other scanners could work more effectively. A few hours later the sample return orbiter arrived, braked into orbit and the game crashed :(