What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Hi. my mod of the Kerbin Rover originally released by Tiktaalik Dreaming is now live on Spacedock. I hope you might enjoy it.

https://spacedock.info/mod/2804/Kerbin Rover Redux?ga=<Game+3102+'Kerbal+Space+Program'>

https://imgur.com/6XrFAn96XrFAn9.png

WARNING. I HAVE NOW FOUND THAT THE LEFT OVER KSP WHEELS PATCH STOPS THE WHEELS FROM WORKING IF YOU INSTALL KSP WHEELS. PLEASE GO TO GameData\KerbinRover\Parts\KSPWheelPatch.cfgAND DELETE OR CHANGE THE SUFFIX TO TXT.

Edited by ColdJ

7 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

Hi. my mod of the Kerbin Rover originally released by Tiktaalik Dreaming is now live on Spacedock. I hope you might enjoy it.

https://spacedock.info/mod/2804/Kerbin Rover Redux?ga=<Game+3102+'Kerbal+Space+Program'>

https://imgur.com/6XrFAn96XrFAn9.png

:awe:

Kerbal Lions and Tigers too? It looks great!

I needed to go to Duna for a collection contract and sent a kerbaled mission.

First the lander is sent.

qo766tO.png

qSnbk1v.png

Then the crew in a service module 4 days later.

2oTelmQ.png

uBSCu2h.png

Then a big adventure.

Spoiler

I didn't test the lander actually landing on Duna. I just used the cheat menu to test takeoff. Turns out the main chutes can't deploy due to lack of pressure(well they will partial deploy at about 15 meters AGL which was pretty funny the first time. Crash then the chutes deploy). So after much reloading I manage to find away down without crashing. It involved aggressive aero breaking and firing up the LF engine for a lot longer than I had planned.

4Wbqp4v.png

But we make it down finally

qWW44w4.png

Bob and Val are the first kerbels on Duna.

za9M4OH.png

And we find the Blueberries

w1vOrn0.png

Take off was exciting, no complaints about T/W here.

DWMgNml.png

And nothing broke on booster separation. Always a plus.

Bj6r3Xh.png

We rendezvous successfully but are about 500 m/s short on d/V to get back to Kerbin.

gvRHxhm.png

Spoiler

So a fuel re-supply mission is launched on the next window.

Ve6xjop.png

ZzvfuQv.png

The crew fuels up and departs at the next window open for Kerbin.

34Y1xit.png

pXXp5If.png

IMlj4Jh.png

And home at last.

ha9GlRh.png

We even have an explosion to celebrate re-entry

N6W8RtA.png

Edited by N_Danger
Spelling is hard

QXCfdSe.png

"prepare for attack"

6Q2NjGR.png

"all batteries, FIRE FIRE"

R26zNWo.png

6SCnmv8.png

37z0AAE.png

V6bMuJ3.png

2v2ZKaa.png

nngb5Xl.png

sGjtH4r.png

pDrf3i3.png

Now i just need to remake a providence replica since the Dimension is a bit overpowered in a fight against like just about anything i have right now (as it should be in universe given AKS tech superiority over all other factions).  That or maybee ill upgrade the venator with MK-2 hull armor, which would bring it somewhat closer to competitive since MK-2 armoring is the best thing there is against all stock weapons and fireworks...

pG8Y0wi.png

a somewhat more balanced fight against itself (took me over 75% of the ammo to finish it with 1 side disarmed, still had 2 engines left which worked so it wasnt game over quite yet), and with FX that is closer to what AKS would field in universe...

49 minutes ago, panzer1b said:

Now i just need to remake a providence replica since the Dimension is a bit overpowered in a fight against like just about anything i have right now (as it should be in universe given AKS tech superiority over all other factions).  That or maybee ill upgrade the venator with MK-2 hull armor, which would bring it somewhat closer to competitive since MK-2 armoring is the best thing there is against all stock weapons and fireworks...

A good armor would be structural pieces, but it would ruin the look.

These wheels also have a strangely high crash tolerance:

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/RoveMax_Model_XL3

Edited by Admiral Fluffy
Changed suggestion after looking through crash tolerances

Elly Kerman, latest in a long, long line of Illustrious Chief Test Pilot appointments at Truman Craftyard, demonstrates the 20-21 model of the new, updated Rodeo Sports...

Rodeo is supremely navigable under chute or without.  Spot landings: a breeze...

Chute is a drogue until you dip under 100m AGL.  Just barrel on in, guys.  Elly's leading the charge!

Edited by Hotel26

Turns out, the second Mars probe that captured around Mars just before the game crashed actually got saved after the capture burn and before the crash. Next up was the sample gatherer for Mars itself, which braked into a rather elliptical orbit due to an engine failure and the mysterious disappearance of the RCS propellant but which managed to land almost on the equator the next time it went round- just 3 degrees south on the edge of Arabia Terra which is a pretty good spot to land as it’ll give two launch windows per Martian day to launch to the return craft in orbit.

There’s still a rover and a sample gatherer for Phobos/Deimos to arrive, so I’m hoping they have fuel to spare as the sample return probe seems to be rather short on fuel to get back to Earth….

Made my first career mode interplanetary landing on Eve. First to arrive is an orbiter and comm-relay:

Wl7YzOU.png

And next, the probe itself:

Ecos7b3.png

Retracting the antenna and closing up the fairing, ready for atmospheric braking (Which is no joke on Eve when going for a direct capture!!!) :

Hdfnb9A.png

Any native lifeforms were probably very confused when a second sun briefly flared to life:

yQZDUUV.png

After a prolonged parachute ride down from ~35km up, everything redeployed perfectly and began sending that sweet science back to Kerbin:

c2TxUq9.png

D6C9QJ3.png

KoS

Today (really the last couple of weeks off and on, you know how it goes lol) I did my first ever Jool 5.  With the added twist that:

1. The craft travels from Kerbin to Tylo orbit as a single stage, then to laythe and back home as a single stage.

2. All parts are recovered on the runway at the end of the mission.

3. No isru, aero exploits, or abusive part clipping are used.

4. The transfer to and from Jool is direct, no assists.

5. And finally, it only uses 2 engines, one Rapier, and one Nerv.

I needed to send a Kerbal from Minmus to Kerbin so I made this little rocket chair in EVA construction. 2.4 km/s dV... no problem. I'll pick her up with an SSTO in LKO. Using Texture Replacer for the visor reflection.

N5D4lNE.png

Note I used the octo2 for "control from here" point because the chair cannot do "control point up" for correct SAS orientation.

Landed a rover and an SSTO rocket on Mars to collect samples and carry them to orbit respectively. All that’s left is the Phobos/Deimos sample mission which is rapidly approaching its own capture burn, then the whole “getting ALL THE SAMPLES from Mars and its moons” thing- good thing the rover can drive itself in the background or it would be a very long and tedious 7000km trek to the rover contract waypoints, but this also means I get more samples along the way.

I also have a mystery mission on my alarm clock, can’t remember what it is or where it’s going but it arrives in a few weeks’ time. I’m sure that happens to NASA all the time…

Perfecting the technique...

Step 1. Find and secure the wreck

TZENMt6.png

Step 2. Transfer Crew to safety in the mini sub and then pump out the water in the wreck and bring it to the surface.

44a74hP.png

Step 3, Bring the survivors and the salvage to a nearby port.

lPItrqo.png

Step 4. Profit! (Drinks to follow at the local pilots bar... )

I collapsed a crane! Actually it just fell over, it didn't really collapse. Not enough counterweight + A little bit of Kraken = Crane on its side. 

Screenshot53.png

I was trying to make an LG 1750. It's like a crawler crane and a mobile crane put together!

liebherr-images-trand-lg-1750-1_710.jpgliebherr-lg-1750%20(6).jpg

10 hours ago, Ben J. Kerman said:

I collapsed a crane! Actually it just fell over, it didn't really collapse. Not enough counterweight + A little bit of Kraken = Crane on its side. 

Screenshot53.png

I was trying to make an LG 1750. It's like a crawler crane and a mobile crane put together!

liebherr-images-trand-lg-1750-1_710.jpgliebherr-lg-1750%20(6).jpg

If you want to build that out in the world then you are going to have to do it like in real life. Put the base crane out some where, then have a truck with the boom pieces and an engineer turn up and use the new outdoor building method to construct it. You will also need a way to raise enough Kerbals and a boom piece up close enough to attach it.

Landed on Phobos (7m/s orbital velocity so it didn’t take much to get down there), drove around on the Moon a bit and then landed on Mercury. My last Mercury mission was meant to land, but ended up woefully short on delta-V; this one ended up considerably overbuilt with loads of fuel left in the upper stage when I had to ditch it for landing and enough fuel in the probe itself to do a 60km hop to a second biome after the first landing.

Although there were a couple of mishaps with that Moon rover…

vfIMs1G.png

I finished my "Explore Eve" contract that required a flyby of Eve and returning a vessel back to Kerbin. I had sent a very basic probe out there. The only way I could get it back home was to fly directly to Kerbin and aerocapture. Even so, I had < 100m/s left with a ridiculously eccentric "orbit". I realized it had no parachutes so the plan was to push the Pe back out past 70k and fly Bill over to slap a parachute on. In true Gammy form, I forgot to redeploy the solar panels and the probe died...still in its suborbital trajectory. All that meant was I needed to take a battery along with the parachutes. Bill did a great job and  everything got back home safely. Now I get to do the "Explore Duna" contract!

The EVA construction thing is pretty much the coolest feature in this game if you ask me. It's kinda sad how many awesome updates I missed between 2018 and this year.

I have a Tourism Plus contract called Space Camp that I've turned into a reality TV show:

sO1hKZq.png

bRY6uwx.png

The show started with 50 hopeful candidates yearning to reach the stars. Now, only a lucky dozen remain to ride the rocket. Do they have what it takes to be a professional astronaut? Who will make the cut? Find out next fall on: Space Kamp!