What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

If you have downloaded my mod Kerbin Rover Redux.

WARNING. I HAVE NOW FOUND THAT THE LEFT OVER KSP WHEELS PATCH STOPS THE WHEELS FROM WORKING IF YOU INSTALL KSP WHEELS. PLEASE GO TO GameData\KerbinRover\Parts\KSPWheelPatch.cfgAND DELETE OR CHANGE THE SUFFIX TO TXT.

This is Boojum:  (I know: what a strange name)

si5Mf38.png

It has rather surprised me because its range looks like 1,500+ km on only 150 kals of JET-A and it's fast/maneuverable.  Its ventral surface harbors 10x JV-6 'Vito' thrusters for vertical landings...

It is, in fact, technically, a carrier hover-jet looking for a mission (Hello, @chadgaskerman).  I'm thinking about adding some armament for target practice...  (I know it's wrong...)

Pterosoar under development...

Tngjh2D.png

"no known peaceful uses".

Edited by Hotel26

Not much playing today, so no fancy pictures, but I took advantage of being on the final update to streamline a bunch of my mods, cut out a bunch of redundant parts (like 37 different flavors of RCS pods...), and patch up some custom bits, like a retractable version of the new OX-10C solar panel and a 4 way LFO RCS pod.

3 minutes ago, Kerbals_of_Steel said:

Not much playing today, so no fancy pictures, but I took advantage of being on the final update to streamline a bunch of my mods, cut out a bunch of redundant parts (like 37 different flavors of RCS pods...), and patch up some custom bits, like a retractable version of the new OX-10C solar panel and a 4 way LFO RCS pod.

37 flavours sounds yummy. If you don't want them any more then throw them up on spacedock for the rest of us. :)

2 hours ago, Xt007 said:

YRcO1I1.jpeg

If there's one thing I hope they do better with KSP2... it's making the Kerbin surface look like a living populated world. All props for the craft, but that surface shot totally makes this.

14 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Its ventral surface harbors 10x JV-6 'Vito' thrusters for vertical landings...

Tiny, cute, fast and maneuverable, VTOL capable, fun to fly... all the things a young flyer needs.

So why not pure stock?

Spoiler

erWQ2mK.png

FbocFz4.png

I submitted the variant specs to the original manufacturer for evaluation. :wink:

4 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

37 flavours sounds yummy. If you don't want them any more then throw them up on spacedock for the rest of us. :)

It just comes from having several different parts packs installed, each with their own slightly tweaked assortment of RCS pods. Now that they added 5 way and mini pods in vanilla, the only non-stock RCS part I really need is a multi port LFO thruster.

I'm not skilled enough to make my own mods, I just hack together bits and bobs of other people's work to suit my own peculiar needs.

Sidewinder test (Coney Island responds to recent Doodlebug aggression with a warning shot):

Then tests a Boojum loaded with twin Sidewinders...

Spoiler

(I've found a way now to deal with how annoying I find 'trees' in these later versions of KSP.)

Edited by Hotel26

1 hour ago, swjr-swis said:

I submitted the variant specs to the original manufacturer for evaluation.

A stock version is very appealing!  (About to test.)  Boojum started as a JV-6 'Vito' experiment but I think we should take advantage of it, as defense contracts usually do, getting out-of-control. 

I think the unarmed 'Vito' Boojum as a trainer, in "pulse hover" operations, and the stock Boojum with Sidewinders might make a nice pair.

(At this point, somebody has to express appreciation to @Snarkfor all the fun with Vito: hat tip, bud.)

Edited by Hotel26

1 hour ago, Kerbals_of_Steel said:

It just comes from having several different parts packs installed, each with their own slightly tweaked assortment of RCS pods. Now that they added 5 way and mini pods in vanilla, the only non-stock RCS part I really need is a multi port LFO thruster.

I'm not skilled enough to make my own mods, I just hack together bits and bobs of other people's work to suit my own peculiar needs.

An LFO is just a matter of changing the resources used in the config. I am working on wheel problem at the moment, but give me a little time to add and test and then I will throw a  config up here for you to add a new stock part to your game.

Hi. as promised. a fully functioning LFO multi config RCS block. @Kerbals_of_Steel

In this folder pathway create a new text document and name it    RhinoRCS.cfg    GameData\Squad\Parts\Utility\rcsBlockRV-105_v2\

Then paste the following in and save it. You will now have a stock LFO RCS multiconfiguration Block that has the same power and resource usage as the Vernier. Enjoy.

Spoiler

PART
{
    name = RhinoBlock
    module = Part
    author = Squad, ColdJ
    mesh = rcsBlock105.mu
    scale = 0.1
    node_attach = -0.07, 0, 0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0
    TechRequired = advFlightControl
    entryCost = 1200
    cost = 45
    category = Control
    subcategory = 0
    title = Rhino RCS Thruster Block
    manufacturer = #autoLOC_501631 //#autoLOC_501631 = STEADLER Engineering Corps
    description = Sometimes your rockets are so big you need to pummel them into submission. The Rhino is for just such times.
    attachRules = 0,1,0,0,0
    mass = 0.10
    dragModelType = default
    crashTolerance = 15
    breakingForce = 50
    breakingTorque = 50
    maxTemp = 2000 // = 1500
    PhysicsSignificance = 1
    bulkheadProfiles = srf
    fuelCrossFeed = True
    tags = #autoLOC_500941 //#autoLOC_500941 = cluster control dock maneuver manoeuvre react rendezvous rotate stab steer translate
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModulePartVariants
        baseVariant = Angled
        VARIANT
        {
            name = Angled
            displayName = #autoLOC_8014157 //#autoLOC_8014157 = Angled 4-horn
            themeName = White
            primaryColor = #ffffff
            mass = 0
            cost = 0
            GAMEOBJECTS
            {
                Angled = true
                Orthogonal = false
            }
        }
        VARIANT
        {
            name = 5Horn
            displayName = #autoLOC_8014156 //#autoLOC_8014156 = Orthogonal 5-horn
            themeName = White
            primaryColor = #ffffff
            mass = 0.01
            cost = 7
            GAMEOBJECTS
            {
                Angled = false
                Orthogonal = true
                thruster1 = true
                thruster2 = true
                thruster3 = true
                thruster4 = true
                thruster5 = true
            }
        }
        VARIANT
        {
            name = 4Horn
            displayName = #autoLOC_8014155 //#autoLOC_8014155 = Orthogonal 4-horn
            themeName = White
            primaryColor = #ffffff
            mass = 0
            cost = 0
            GAMEOBJECTS
            {
                Angled = false
                Orthogonal = true
                thruster1 = true
                thruster2 = true
                thruster3 = true
                thruster4 = true
                thruster5 = false
            }
        }
        VARIANT
        {
            name = 3Horn
            displayName = #autoLOC_8014154 //#autoLOC_8014154 = Orthogonal 3-horn
            themeName = White
            primaryColor = #ffffff
            mass = -0.01
            cost = -8
            GAMEOBJECTS
            {
                Angled = false
                Orthogonal = true
                thruster1 = false
                thruster2 = false
                thruster3 = true
                thruster4 = true
                thruster5 = true
            }
        }
        VARIANT
        {
            name = 2Horn
            displayName = #autoLOC_8014153 //#autoLOC_8014153 = Orthogonal 2-horn
            themeName = White
            primaryColor = #ffffff
            mass = -0.02
            cost = -15
            GAMEOBJECTS
            {
                Angled = false
                Orthogonal = true
                thruster1 = false
                thruster2 = false
                thruster3 = true
                thruster4 = true
                thruster5 = false
            }
        }

}
    EFFECTS
    {
        running
        {
            AUDIO_MULTI_POOL
            {
                channel = Ship
                transformName = RCSjet
                clip = sound_rocket_mini
                volume = 0.0 0.0
                volume = 0.1 0.0
                volume = 0.5 0.05
                volume = 1.0 0.5
                pitch = 0.0 0.5
                pitch = 1.0 1.0
                loop = true
            }
            MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
            {
                modelName = Squad/FX/Monoprop_medium
                transformName = RCSjet
                emission = 0.0 0.0
                emission = 0.1 0.0
                emission = 1.0 1.0
                speed = 0.0 0.8
                speed = 1.0 1.0
                localRotation = -90, 0, 0
            }
        }        
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleRCSFX
        stagingEnabled = False
        thrusterTransformName = RCSthruster
        thrusterPower = 12
        resourceName = LiquidFuel
        resourceFlowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW
        runningEffectName = running
        PROPELLANT
        {
            name = LiquidFuel
            ratio = 0.9
            DrawGauge = True
        }
        PROPELLANT
        {
            name = Oxidizer
            ratio = 1.1
        }
        atmosphereCurve
        {
            key = 0 260
            key = 1 140
            key = 4 0.001
        }
    }
    MODULE
    {
        name = FXModuleAnimateRCS
        animationName = RCSGlow
        responseSpeed = 0.01    
        thrustForceMult = 2    
    }    
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleCargoPart
        packedVolume = 40
    }
}

On 7/5/2021 at 2:21 AM, coyotesfrontier said:

1RTv2N0.png

I made a refueling station on Tekto, which is the equivalent of Titan in the Outer Planets Mod. I'm really proud of how it turned out, although I just teleported it there as it would be insanely difficult to build normally. The ISRU system is a custom simplified version of Rational Resources with no additional parts or phase changing mechanics.

Water (H2O) is drilled from the ground and broken into hydrogen (LH2) and oxygen (LOX), while nitrogen (LN2) and methane (CH-4) are directly extracted from the atmosphere. Monoprop (N2H4)  is then created by combining hydrogen with nitrogen.

The oxygen and methane are used for refueling the main engines of the ship, while monoprop is used for the ship's RCS.

PNhewT2.png

t4eOFBW.png

Full Album: https://imgur.com/a/gER7wKZ

Umm... I really need to find the time to resume my Science grand tour.  
Haven't been to Tekto since... 1.1.3 ?
I love the Sarnus system.  KSP2 better step up it's game ;)

Oceanographic Survey Project

Jeb and Bill are taking renowned KUMA Oceanographer Prof. Sonsey Kerman to the seabed to take seismic readings to transmit back to KUMA HQ.  

(Note the Experiment Storage Unit... these little subs were not built to hold science and I was too lazy to patch it. )

YHIXgvF.png

Bill is out on EVA collecting science and stowing it away for the transmission.

8vvcvp7.png

Science gathered and job done. The boys head back to port where we say farewell to Prof. Sonsey Kerman and sail away to other high sea adventures.

XwYhKpM.png

Also: The mod Kerbin Side Remastered - The Life Aquatic that this mission is based on is now released v1.0.0 on SpaceDock (link in signature). 

Edited by Caerfinon

Now that fireworks are officially a thing, it appears that the entire AKS fleet (besides the DImension class cruiser as its just so massive and redundified that it can take a utter beating regardless of what weapons its shot at with), went from strongest ships i had to utterly pathetic overnight (worse then the competition actually)...

ZllOrun.png

Basically NTR engines are out of the picture on anything that doesnt carry 6+ of them spread out all over the ship.  A single starfighter unloading a single 32 cannister into a NTR powered ship has a 95% chance of destroying all of its engines now...

kuhCMBb.png

I ended up swapping all but the central engine to aerospikes, since they are the only engine that is somewhat resistant to the fireworks.  It can and will be destroyed, but it takes an insane amount of fire to actually accomplish this in practice, and well i dont expect any warship to continue on after eating 500+ rounds (which is what my 3 largest ships carry, Dimension, Venator, Battleaxe).

O02aOIv.png

So yeah, this was after a highly concentrated 120 rounds from a Trifighter, which is way mre accurate then a capital would be (turrets are fun, but they do NOT result in very precise damage at all, and id even say that 120 roiunds from a fighter is more effective then 500 from a turret as you can actually hit every round center of mass consistently).  NTR bought it really quickly, but the 2 aerospikes survived just until the very last few shots.  I ended up with a single working engine, which i could run at ~40% without spinning out, alongside a battery of 4 rear facing vernor engines (i will probably upgrade it to 8 since the part count with SRMs removed aint bad) that almost never get shot off, so completely immobilizing this thing with fireworks alone is not happening.

J4mpehR.png

I also absolutely love the new engine looks, the ship is supposed to be about as advanced as i can get it, and not having any exposed engines really makes the look complete .  They are inside the fuel tanks, yeah a bit clippy, but with this ship asthetics come 1st, then functionality.  Actually, its a bit hacky since i do have fuel tanks clipped, but i did respect volume limits since i clipped 2 MK-2 tanks together, when volumetrically that should be possible to do since a MK-2 tank is twice the volume of a 800 series FLT, and they have the same fuel capacity.  I, ot a fan of clipping, but i just had to get the looks right and there was simply no way to fit everything i needed inside into a ship this small without ruining the look which ive had for years (this is my 1st truly powerful warship, and has been arguably my best for 3 years with minor iterations here and there).

6D5p2Bo.png

Still vulnurable to torps, but hey, loosing a side is not that big a deal since its only a single engine and a torpedo.

PZOJ4g7.png

Theres still quite a lot of work to be done, and this is far from my only ship that needs an overhaul, but im happy with the fact that ive found some method of surviving the fireworks and actually making the fights feel more drawn out and authentic (i dont like to see too many 1 shot kills outside of pirate tech which is supposed to be garbage in universe)...

20 minutes ago, Admiral Fluffy said:

What kind of engines are those?

LV-N (nuclear thermal rocket)...

I play stock generally speaking in terms of engines as i feel there is enough selection, so the only super high ISP engine (that was practical to use, ions eat too many parts) just became useless with firework weapons :)...

I'm having a bad day in KSP.

I started a new save yesterday and I cranked up the difficulty.

Iv been having this glitch/mod problem where the sound cuts out and won't come back till I restart the game which annoys me.

On my first Mun mission Bob's ship tipped over with important science points and I sent another ship to pick him up, THAT ship ran out of fuel in orbit of Mun leaving Bob stranded there, I took TWO MORE MISSIONS before I could bring him home and when I finally recovered him, that game did not register the data or something and I lost all of it.

So then I went to Minmus to make up for it and It was all working amazing, then I parachuted on to the side of a mountain and began to tumble.

The kerbal just barely avoided death by jumping away from the capsule and managing to stop before she hit the cliff but the capsule and data...

It's still hard to talk about;.;

Presenting: Petrichor
A cold desert (262K surface temp), 650km radius, 1.05g, and a thin atmo at 0.4 atm at surface extending 50km, the highest terrain is at 17km.
Lorewise, it was not always a desert, thousands of years ago, it was once named "Edon", had a thriving ecosystem, lush plant life, thick atmosphere, large oceans, a large interstellar civilization existed, unfourtinatley, that ancient civilization and another civilization in a different system got into a massive war, which ended up wiping out Estrela Dobre's civilization back into the stone age, the Archenar system's civilization was knocked back almost to the stone age, but they are known to be peaceful now, and in the process, Edon got glassed (the other system also got ravaged), and lost its water and the majority of its atmosphere. Now, its known as Petrichor, (i have soundtrack editor on and suddenly happy/exciting music started just now wot lmao), an arid desert world. The now pre space age civilization lives in vast underwater cities on the next moon out, which got flooded by the water that was shed from Petrichor.  Few ruins remain.
EtZSsML.png
Its name is Petrichor
I did explore it
MgtaFVt.png

Flying over the Richat Structure
6tGlAfd.png
and then i flew through its canyons (there are only a few straight bits)
Also, the canyon i flew through had 3km high walls
HGTjo0Y.png
N9kjS51.png
And flew north to the plateaus
ipO5jHx.png

These are some of the biggest sand dunes on the planet! 1km tall!
xKMr7dU.png
also, the ares 4a struggled to fly at the plateaus with the default laythe atmosphere, but now that it has a much thinner 0.4atm, it will likely not be able to fly subsonic there lol
ByLPQw4.png

Here is the glassy plains, the last remaining evidence of the interstellar war (there are no derelict spaceships in orbit or on the ground in either system anymore)
pf1JIx4.png

now im going to make the next moon, will be slightly smaller than Kerbin, and be kinda like Correlae, but with more water
Petrichor was made in the latest update of my mod, Estrela Dobre system.

Edited by JcoolTheShipbuilder