What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I went 274 Meters per second on a BOAT. I was using mods, (BDA), but that is still very fast.

That in fact, breaks the IRL boat speed record of 317.6 MPH/511 KMH by 295.321.

I went 612.921 MPH or 986.4007338 KMH.

Edited by Admiral Fluffy
oh hey llok new page

Clocked my next iteration of a Bonanza V inspired utility craft cruising at mach 1.06... 331 m/s, or 643 kn.

Ludicrous speed for the type of craft it is meant to mimic, but it makes the craft feel nimble and responsive, heck even fun to fly, despite being locked subsonic (as it should be).

It's almost even starting to look the part.

LTuobzN.png

1.3.1, so using mostly-clipped Junos instead of the absent prop. Nose is just for looks.

PrNtMwU.png

Pending some peer test results and another couple of tweaks, this might be just about ready for public availability.

Craft is now up for public consumption: Beech BV2.

Edited by swjr-swis
craft file link added

I completely redid Oyst and its moons
Oyst now has a faint-ish ring system
9SYuvWa.png

Avon now has a completely rebuilt heightmap, its largest crater is on the trailing hemisphere, i made Avon now tidally locked to Oyst. the large crater looks like a chunk of the moon got smashed off, also, it has normal terrain, it is slightly smaller than Ike. also, it finally has mountains! yay! (lol), the previous heightmap was super smooth and fuzzy, as i literally used a paintbrush to make it lol.. i used a tangram heightmap crater for its two basins, the other basin isnt visible in the pic, and doesnt really resemble the huge crater.
nwZ1DE0.png

Paxt now has a detail map on top of its oblate heightmap
i used kittopia to generate its texture without the gradient oblate heightmap, and then used the color map as a vertex color map (left the vertex height color stuff in, its just disabled), and then reenabled the oblate heightmap (and rebuilt the scaledspace mesh) to make it properly oblate. its rotation rate is once every two hours, is about the size of Duna, no atmosphere, tho it is easier to land at its equator since its spinning quite rapidly.
iSHUqHG.png
here is another pic of Paxt
lBMQyCf.png

It worked!  I don't know how exactly, but it worked!

I suspected from my previous flight that the gravity turn was lofting rocket too high, and the upfg code was having trouble bringing the vehicle to the relatively low altitude orbit insertion point without dropping into the atmosphere.  So I made the gravity turn slightly more aggressive and raised the altitude of the orbit a little bit.

On my first flight with the new settings, I walked away to do something during the launch and came back to see the rocket pointing almost straight at the ground.  "Well that's worse than before" I thought, and reverted to the start, hoping to see how exactly it got to that point.

Sure enough, right at the start, upfg converged onto some weird solution that pointed very steeply down.

MFhYMo3.png

On a whim, I decided to wait it out and see what happened.  The rocket ended up pointing down for something like 7 seconds... then the steering vector from the upfg code swung to point up very steeply (no pics here), and remained on there for perhaps 12 seconds.   Finally, it came down to a more modes 10-15 degrees above the horizon, and slowly moved throughout the rest of the flight until...

OTPQzmm.png

ANNVPBx.png

...somehow it made orbit, getting decently close to my target orbit parameters too.   I'm still scratching my head on the "point down, then point up, then point the right way" thing that happened at the start.  I don't have a clue as to what could make it do that.  But maybe I could solve the problem by making upfg run longer in the background passively before actually letting it steer the vehicle?  idk

Currently constructing the first two modules of the Cochrane-Facility - an antimatter generation and general refueling station planned for 150km LKO (uses Near Future and Far Future mods made by Nertea).

No pictures yet, as i figuring how to fit all the needed stuff into the modular stucture in an aesteticly pleasing way.

The plan is, to build a conversion chain. Ore to Uranium to fission pellets to anti matter. We'll see if this works out. Alternatively i'm going to skip the first conversion as this a very slow conversion with great losses. Maybe supply with uranium from Kerbin... naah, let's see what works. Ore tanks will be installed anyway, to enable almost every spaceship refueling as an ISRU-Installment is also planned. I think the station will not be as compact as i initially intended. The station will need several reactors with Fission or maybe fusion mhhh... Somehow some electrical engines for orbital corrections have fit there too... To many design goals. :D

Currently a lifter for the antimatterconversion unit is my right-now-challenge... maybe i have to install hangar extender... let's see if i manage to build a compact lifter for this huge piece.

Edited by Rakete

Made a Budget SSTO. Can get to a roughly 100K orbit of Kerbin with 900-ish meters per second of Delta-V left.

Picutres \/

Spoiler

Liftoff!

k4DFQl0.png

Going Fast

Iw4cwt2.png

In orbit!

zOVOlC4.png

In orbit again!

yIadNrZ.png

Reentry

XNM02yu.png

Finding a good landing spot

upRXNYc.png

Landed!

ZJlaC6e.png

These are actually two diffent launches, I was to lazy to deorbit the first one agian. But you don't need to know that,

Edited by Admiral Fluffy
ITS A SECRET! YOU WILL NEVER FIND OUT WHY! BWAHAHAHA!!!!!

1 hour ago, SpacePixel said:

My very realistic Eve expedition with an air launch from under the unfolding electric propeller plane…

Well, maybe not that realistic, but cinematic nonetheless!

Dang thats impressive bro

Today I continued orbital construction of the Hermes, which will take the first Kerbals to Duna. 

XhemKqS.jpg

In the foreground is the under-construction Hermes, including the structural truss, primary fuel/engine module, and robotic arm. The mass of parts in the background is Tycho Station, which houses the engineer facilitating construction, and holds RCS parts for the engineer to attach to modules which can't be installed with the robotics arm. I still need to attach Hermes' dorsal and ventral fuel tanks, science module, life support modules, habitation modules, and the Duna Descent Vehicle.

I created the third planet of the system, Hados
Hados is a large super-kerbin, 1140km in radius, and has a surface gravity of 2.46g (is about 8x the mass of Kerbin)
it is also very hot due to recent impacts, evaporating all its water, making the atmosphere thicker at 1.6 atm.
its low orbit velocity is nearly 5.1km/s, which is a good 500m/s higher than Eve's escape velocity.
it is still not entirely complete, as i need to fix its atmo, temperature, make the lava actually lava texture and hot, and also fix a weird glitch where the oceans tile WEIRDLY
heres a couple of pics from a 2000km orbit
The largest crater in this pic, is easily 500km in size
uI36mdE.png
Hados has four lava filled craters that all exceed 100km in size
TCBNsCU.png

The SWiS kerbals somehow got their hands on an unused prototype blueprint for a small V/STOL jet, gave it their usual rework, and sent Valentina out to test its newly-gained long range capabilities. Valentina was already partway on her 2nd circumnavigation, when she spotted a much more fun way to spend the remaining fuel...

Craft file: https://kerbalx.com/swjr-swis/Hot-Dog-2

('2', because a rework of @Hotel26's unpublished Hot Dog)

I did my first Duna Probe!

9cXYbTs.jpeg

Also my first screenshot show to the community! but I'm very proud of myself, my first interplanetary mission. After a few celebratory pringles its time to start scienceing! 

Starting over again.... New "Safe Harbour" career game on KSP 1.11.2 (because 1.12.1 keeps throwing me curve balls) :sad:

So  first flight... release the dog named sounding rockets!

Poodle 1 ready for lift off!

D5JARrI.png

Go boy! Go Fetch some science!

9xzqoU4.png

Excellent... Just chockablock full of mini science experiments!

6bKuLTb.png

And we're off and at it... again :happy:

On 7/18/2021 at 11:28 PM, JcoolTheShipbuilder said:

I completely redid Oyst and its moons
Oyst now has a faint-ish ring system
(snip)

Avon now has a completely rebuilt heightmap, its largest crater is on the trailing hemisphere, i made Avon now tidally locked to Oyst. the large crater looks like a chunk of the moon got smashed off, also, it has normal terrain, it is slightly smaller than Ike. also, it finally has mountains! yay! (lol), the previous heightmap was super smooth and fuzzy, as i literally used a paintbrush to make it lol.. i used a tangram heightmap crater for its two basins, the other basin isnt visible in the pic, and doesnt really resemble the huge crater.
(snip)

Paxt now has a detail map on top of its oblate heightmap
i used kittopia to generate its texture without the gradient oblate heightmap, and then used the color map as a vertex color map (left the vertex height color stuff in, its just disabled), and then reenabled the oblate heightmap (and rebuilt the scaledspace mesh) to make it properly oblate. its rotation rate is once every two hours, is about the size of Duna, no atmosphere, tho it is easier to land at its equator since its spinning quite rapidly.
(snip)
here is another pic of Paxt

(snip)

Woah that's a beauty.

1 minute ago, Caerfinon said:

"The X-1 was an impossible collection of parts and explosives... It surprised us all that it even flew and that it glided forever" - Val Kerman

IkSrepy.png

Beautiful

2 hours ago, JcoolTheShipbuilder said:

added rings to Hados
QLGr3uO.png

Nice!

So, I also landed a Duna lander yesterday, and today I started doing science with it. Enter Odyssey 1

V0BMfCh.jpeg

Life on Mars blasting.