What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

What should i name the 4th (and final) planet of the Estrela Dobre system?
It will be a super kerbin between the sizes of Petrichor and Hados, probably at 800km radius, will be a cold ice world far from the suns, and will have cracks in its surface.
It will have two moons, one of which will have liquid on its surface, and it will be about 300km in radius. the other moon will be quite similar to Minmus, some craters, but also flat plains, no atmo, and about 120km in size

some suggestions for its names? hmm.. im not really that great at coming up with planet names lol...

@JcoolTheShipbuildergive it a really common name like Steve, with the planet blurb explaining that it was originally discovered by someone called Steve but due to an admin error when submitting his discovery to whoever keeps the official records of planetary bodies, the planet got called Steve instead and the error was discovered too late to change it.

3 hours ago, JcoolTheShipbuilder said:

What should i name the 4th (and final) planet of the Estrela Dobre system?
It will be a super kerbin between the sizes of Petrichor and Hados, probably at 800km radius, will be a cold ice world far from the suns, and will have cracks in its surface.
It will have two moons, one of which will have liquid on its surface, and it will be about 300km in radius. the other moon will be quite similar to Minmus, some craters, but also flat plains, no atmo, and about 120km in size

some suggestions for its names? hmm.. im not really that great at coming up with planet names lol...

Psi 2000?

You may or may not get the reference.

3 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

Sky Science!

Assisting Scientists getting to remote locations on Kerbin... in stylish comfort (Scientists are not used to this).

SKAOce5.png

Ahh I would love it when I collected data by EVA ing the pilot, taking a sample while hanging on to the hatch in mid air and then getting back in before anything crashed.

Well did quite a bit of crap today...

oyusmcE.png

Landed a dropship on Ike, attempted to get mech out of the back, robotics parts broke and the standing pose ends up looking like this, rendering the whole stupid mech unuseable :(...  Ill prolly end up just teleporting the same thing to the destination, must be some sort of robotics bug cause i used a klaw to attach the mech to the dropship.

YYiCXEG.png

H4XKREj.png

Then i got my SSTL back into orbit, preparing to send it to Bop and Pol, since its got plenty of dV left onboard (its hacky, but i have like 30 fuel tanks inside that MK-2 bay, and a missile (it can fit 2, but i didnt want to drag that much weight for no reason).  Still, every time i play this game it amazes me how good it looks (with the right mods, that 1st screenie is amazing imo) given the fact that its pretty old by todays standards...

vDGolWz.png

1bYlOsy.png

AGpdZFy.png

Then i finished decking out my Nebula frigate, added some non essential bits but since the ship is uunder 350 parts, its not that big a deal lag wise.  I do have a (LP) variant with lowered parts, missing all the glowy bits at the back, the extra fake windows, and half the RCS which isnt 100% essential for functionality, but the fully decked out variant just feels more like an actual frigate and not the barebaones minimalistic parts i need to make it work which is what all the cruiser sized ships are since they are just too many base parts to add some asthetics to em (most arer already 500-600 before adding any extras).

c8pKAif.png

KCka9ME.png

GkXD9dA.png

TpNsqeu.png

And finally upgraded some of my ancient nostalgia replicas to make them nolonger broken in newer versions.  Guess the ant engine torps havent changed at all since 0.22 days, they sucked back then and they still suck now.  However, it appears that the anti-fighter things are now useless (i hit that shade replica with 4 of them and it didnt do squat, every time smack right into the cockpit, no damage).  At least the 6 ant torp salvo somehow took out a RT-10 SRB...

The interplanetary colonization ship Tagaloa has arrived in the Duna system:

R0iZI7c.png

The original mission plan was to capture into a low Duna orbit initially, then use the two landers (Pulelehua and Meli) to make a total of three trips to the surface before moving outwards to Ike for one more surface expedition and possibly rendezvousing with an experimental autonomous mining unit for refueling. Tagaloa doesn't need refueled to make it back to Kerbin, but it would certainly ease Wehrner's stress levels. Due to the vagaries of interplanetary travel and orbital mechanics, however, Valentina decided to go for a direct capture around Ike:

UIGVrOX.png

After the burn Bill went out to check the bearings on the grav ring:

9EZ2FSt.png

Sure is pretty up here:

AwHkWed.png

Valentina decided to use one of the ships built in science probes to confirm the landing site for the mining unit:

75BYqDo.png

lZXhKo2.png

8uRd1m4.png

Almost 13% ore and reasonably level, a perfect site. Next up will be the miner landing and putting some scout rovers on the Duna surface in preparation for the krewed landings there.

Kos

Prepared partially the first module of the new Arakis-Station, which will be heading to ....... Duna, as you may already have guessed. Just a small 2,5m sciencelab, a 3,75m habitation module, some controll rooms and a 400kW Fission reactor with reprocession facility to strech out the usage of the stored uranium... just enough reactor warmth to keep Val safe and sound.... She loves her high power solarium, which is essential on long trips. The station parts will go unkerbaled on the next launch window and will be assembled roboticly. Afterwards a crewed ship with magnetoplasmadynamic drives will deliver the crew for this expedition.

Edited by Rakete

kXQ0sOj.png

Played around with my recently released first mod - used the fusion jet engine to get to Duna and fly around. Pretty satisfied with the balance, as it wasn't much easier to do than with stock rocketry, lots of things to keep track of. Other mods used are Near Future Spacecraft for the cockpit and Heat Control for the radiators.

Departure:

Spoiler

The SSTO took a while to make, as it needs a whole bunch of things like lots of batteries to start up the engine's reactor, radiators, fusion fuels, etc. It also needs to be able to land on Duna, which is always tricky with its thin atmo. Surprisingly I didn't forget anything and managed to pull it off first try, and even got the plane to look decent.

sYf9WVm.png

Love the refraction effect from Waterfall, may need to tone it down a bit though.

sMPbqNK.png

Open-cycle mode stopped working at ~30km, which is higher than most other jet engines. This ability to run in low pressure is probably the best reason to use this engine, and is balanced by all of the operational requirements.

ffqxdls.png

In orbit, radiators still toasty from running the engine in closed-cycle mode.

lKkrMSs.png

I didn't check for the launch window, so the engine's high efficieny came in clutch. The departure burn took ~2200 m/s dV.

pZ2dGAO.png

Trip and arrival:

Spoiler

Make sure to pack a decent bit of fusion fuels when using this engine, as it eats through quite a bit on interplanetary trips. I ran out and lost some dV to hydrogen boiloff (cryotanks mod)

K1jaloD.pngRYfVVFE.pngZMkIlFI.png

Cruising and landing

Spoiler

The plane wasn't as stable as I hoped, should've added more yaw stability and maybe RCS. Though tricky to fly, I still managed a smooth landing :D

The air-breathing mode worked up to about ~24km altitude.

IqbqvF7.png7bvc6Uc.png0F9jROB.png

Obligatory flag pic

1ZrSj8T.png

Overall pretty happy with how the gameplay seems to have turned out, just a few misc technical/visual tweaks needed. Feel free to give it a shot, it's pretty fun :wink:

Edited by Apelsin

Bill and Bob’s Excellent Misadventure- they were going to the Mun when the second stage engine failed, with nearly 2km/s of fuel still in it. The lander on top made it to orbit of the Mun with enough fuel to land but no fuel to return afterwards. Cue the launch of a hastily built rover and a second nearly identical lander to act as their return craft, a bumpy landing for Bill and Bob as they ran out of fuel about 10 metres above the surface, an anxious wait for the rover to turn up (they were getting low on life support and power) and then some gratuitous explosions as Bon Voyage destroyed most of its wheels on arrival (again).

Despite the setbacks, the mission was still successful- Mun landing in a new biome (Midlands), deployed science site set up and some science was gathered during the drive to the second lander as well as on the trip back to Kerbin, and despite lacking any form of heatshield for the re-entry (I haven’t unlocked the 1.875m one yet) nothing exploded and they splashed down safely with enough science to unlock two 90 science nodes and just 4 short of a third. I’ll repeat this mission in future but with less explosions and hopefully landing somewhere other than the Southwest Crater which has had one probe, one lander and two crews in it already.

Had some freetime today (rare during week), didnt feel like making new ships or flying anything, so i dug thru my old files and found this thing...

7gXS692.png

Lzq0wZe.png

Surpisingly took about 12 salvos to obliterate the Vanguard replica i left in orbit earlier...

Fsc5zo5.png

npyHGtV.pngTawcef7.png

Main fuel tank pops, and the whole ship just falls apart...

6oYYvCL.png

And to add insult to injury, i shoot the leftover debri field with the forward batteries.  There are 4 double cannons built into the nose, 1 salvo from that will instakill anything that isnt made of armor, and id bet even a Nebula class frigate cant stand up to that many rounds at a time (will have to test that out after i overhaul the ship since its just too laggy to bear right now beside those other ships, and its supposed to carry 4 starfighters too)...

Looks can be deceiving...

K4ONgpE.jpg

Despite its humble general-aviation-like apprearance, PX-03 can get some untrained pilots to pass out if they're not careful. If you spool up the propellers before increasing the collective, you'll be pushed into your seat some 2.3 gees of acceleration — on a propeller plane. Then, once you reach cruising speed, you better keep paying attention — a tiniest inflection of the control surfaces will hurl the plane in orthogonal direction within moments of you touching the controls. It is to be expected, of course, seeing as all lifting surfaces on the plane rotate whole, like on some sort of a fighter jet. If you feel like cosplaying the Space Shuttle, you can do that too — the plane really doesn't care which way it goes because of the insane TWR of the propellers...  

My OPM grand tour has reached Neidon. Some spectacular views. My congratulations to whoever designed that planet.

e4BUVeL.png

eDIljsx.png

zT2SWHD.png

yDVwpyQ.png

hnoeo9e.png

first part, the injection burn of my mothership A'Tuin. It then went to Nissee to collect new fuel, and all the stuff needed to keep the greenhouses working

oOrniqr.png

A random pic taken from Thatmo landing, but Neidon is always protagonist

Second part, sending the spaceplane Arrowhead inside the atmosphere.

owgnDxI.png

qk0eX6V.png

JVqP6Bx.png

ZKx9lB2.png

7IhgZXp.png

bDWeUxN.png

BjUOkdU.png

6 darts are way overkill for a 50 ton plane, but with kerbalism there are malfunctions. 4 engines are needed, the other two are backup.

tfp6RvV.png

npoAbut.png

A Little Field Science

Bill and Bob undertake a science safari for the Kerbin Geographic Organization (mostly they just like to drive the Land Rover).

Off into the hinterlands!

TbSan97.png

And they found what they were looking for.

0nxljdQ.png

A quick scan and a data transmission back to HQ and then the most important part of the mission... joyriding!

qRjwoPc.png

Land Rover Defender available wherever fine vehicles are sold:  Kerbin Rover Redux on SpaceDock

2 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

Bill and Bob undertake a science safari for the Kerbin Geographic Organization (mostly they just like to drive the Land Rover).

Such a big smile I have on my face reading this.

Well, what did i do? I suffered. In my career save 1 was sending Ventress 1 to minmus, when disaster struck. the station itself was very unstable due to the size of the shuttle Ventress on it, causing it to be very unstable. The station was ditched as the crew used Ventress to land on minmus and wait for rescue.

ohZLwz5.png

Ventress Detaches from Carvel for the first and last time, Leaving it to go into solar orbit where it will decay as a lost dream.

9z6N964.png

Aproaching

ZAltVpW.png

Suicide burn

tLbV6ey.png

Ventress is now on the Minmusian surface, where it will stay forever.

qdiDiIJ.png

The original 4, stranded in there mangled space shuttle that will serve as a base (dont pay attention to the turret and star wars ship made out of scrap, Bill was bored).

The Life of a Nautical Engineer

Newvan Kerman on a late night undersea rescue. Checks on the status of the survivors as the sub readies the wreck for surfacing

BTvslP6.png

With the wreck and crew secured it's back to the surface!

AJA3zV3.png

Don't forget to secure the flight recorder.  That information is valuable.

MvcZW38.png

Now back to base and wait for the next emergency!