What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

1 hour ago, Souptime said:

dont make a joke dont make a joke dont make a joke...

Okay, I will.

On 8/7/2021 at 7:29 AM, jimmymcgoochie said:

It’s… bigger than I expected.

Would you say...it's bigger on the inside?  Or smaller on the outside? :)

50 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Controversy alert!

AxtKPks.png

50 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

With the right lighting, Dres can look good too...

Awwww, shucks.  I was hoping for Disco Lights. :)

8 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

High Arctic Science

Bill travels to the High Arctic to gather some rare scientific data... wait a minute! You're and engineer! A mix up in the SPH and you were thinking of a career change anyway?

WlrOjLB.png

Before kerbal skills were added in 0.90.0, Bill was very versatile and could fly with the best of them. Maybe he had nostalgia for the old days before his piloting skills atrophied and decided to go for a drive... :)

Today I completed assembly and altitude boost of Homestead Hotel:

OuUXqS7.png

t1ALVtz.png

TFvCu49.png

aZcVK89.png

eIY2S03.png

HqfScxr.png

B8Q7IGv.png

rbMOwni.png

I built the hotel by driving each module out to the payload crane, loading it into the Mk-33, towing the SSTO out to the pad, launching, deploying, landing, and repeating the process- without recovering the Mk-3. :)

Since sleep wasn't happening, I spent another night with the team in the SPH, intent on wittling down that ToDo list on the whiteboard. Instead, we ended up playing with some left-over parts and carbon composites... and test flying the result.

Spoiler

RbZpLfZ.png
Pb9p2xm.png
HKaENHZ.png
jbRdvg0.png
6P1aamq.png
XaDFWuK.png
W7xTVfA.png
moKBzrE.png
Ov5mUZY.png

I blame a not-further-to-be-named mad scientist for planting the idea. Mutter.

Craft file: https://kerbalx.com/swjr-swis/SWiS-Starship-1c

9 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Controversy alert!

AxtKPks.png

With the right lighting, Dres can look good too...

No problem! I love Dres! It's one of my favorite stock planets along with Eve ... I don't get why so many supposedly don't - I've heard that some say it's just a farther-out "Mun" but the Mun feels kinda flat in a lot of places; Dres often has more dramatic terrain. :)

Edited by shimmy00

Made the first Krewed landing outside of Kerbins SOI today. After a few hundred days cooped up on ship and Val smacking his hand any time he wanted to do something "exciting", Jeb decided to start the mission with some stunt flying:

s2Aw3Jb.png

82etFTh.png

The rest of the descent to Ike  was much less adrenaline filled:

2CGo3Dq.png

Posing for a group picture on the surface:

sngxF3L.png

While Bill and Bob were busy setting up the deployed science site, Jeb dug his golf clubs out of the storage pod:

uX83lOV.png

Tagaloa, this is Pulelehua on final approach:

4G3ooMF.png

Hinterland Adventure Tours

Luddous Kerman takes three tourists on a fishing trip to the lake district around South Lake Airfield

mm2WPzZ.png

The Seawind aircraft design is based on a wonderful craft by MaikMakensi on KerbalX: Maik-McSeaplane

I've adjusted the tail section and landing gear arrangement a bit. Lands and takes off from runway or water very nicely (Scatterer default ocean effects makes take off very difficult).

Who ripped the nose off my spaceplane?TO7P6hM.jpg

The newest universal landing vehicle dubbed Komochek is a bit of a diversion from my usual overengineered monstrosities — it's simple, reliable and efficient. Consisting of just one-segment Mk3 cargo bay, filled to the brim with mining equipment, crew quarters, science payload, main engines and a compact exploration rover, and a huge fuel tank on top crowned with a shielded docking port, Komochek may not look like much, but it can pull a Jool-5 in one piece (with enough patience, of course...) and return to Kerbin to land propulsively a la Falcon 9.

It may not be the lightest vehicle to do that — it's 70t in fact, when fully laden — but it sports some serious exploration capability (that is, a rover and an ability to fly to any point on any body), hassle-free operation and low part count, which makes it far more attractive in my eyes than a huge mothership assembled with multiple launches that then attempts to desintegrate itself every time it slightly touches the atmosphere...

1 hour ago, Caerfinon said:

Maybe no one is home... What's our open door policy?

Hollywood would have us believe that one is just to walk in. What could possibly go wrong, it's just another day in the Deep Sea...

13 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

Hollywood would have us believe that one is just to walk in. What could possibly go wrong, it's just another day in the Deep Sea...

• Unless you discover the vessel is from the future...
  • Unless you discover the vessel is full of alien pod things...
  • Unless you discover the ship contains a really bad contagion and is unwittingly released into the ocean...
  • Unless you're teleported to a distant planet in some far-away solar system to be studied by exo-organisms, never to see your home world again...

Sure, yeah, what could possibly go wrong! :P

I've always loved alternate Space Shuttle concepts. Here's my interpretation of one of my favorites: a partially-reusable winged booster, topped with an expendable second stage: 

Spoiler

zR7CXxN.png