What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Guest The Doodling Astronaut
On 8/16/2021 at 2:41 PM, king of nowhere said:

My OPM grand tour reached Urlum. The planet itself is nowhere near as beautiful as Neidon, but one of the moons is great. Mixed reviews on the rings, they look good from certain perspectives, from others they are underwhelming

Wow nice mission, but I do have to disagree with ya there buddy I find Urlum to look way better than Neidon, but yeah nice mission.

Took my new Pegasus 8 for a long-range spin to see what it could do:

X26cfrh.png

466 m/s @ 8km and, though it has the range for the other side of the planet, I found I had to throttle down to 425 m/s to manage heat.  (Who knows, though; it *might* have been OK??  :) )

Pegasus 8 is another in my series of Break-A-Part planes -- at the destination, it disassembles (dynamite)  to leave a 10,000 kallon JET-A tank, plus a Pushback service vehicle to aid ground refueling.

(Should I mention also that Peg 8 is another in my series of Pegasus transporters?)

Some people spent today building big things; me, I kept it small.

Some comments reached us that the FakeJeb2 was found lacking a brain. Not entirely surprising, since I never gave it one (would have been very surprising to find out it spontaneously grew one; but I digress). So I sat down with the team and had them reassess what could be done to add a probe core, and still maintain the overall kerbal weight and outline. The team came through with the FakeJeb3:

SjvR7hV.png

Wanted to make a new armored car for AKS to use, after 4 iterations, ended up with something im actually happy with (although i might take a look at cutting parts down later)...

e7kvYK9.png

Based the front off a panther tank (with a different lower glasis since i had no way to cut the angle that much).  The turret is based on the standard AKS pulse cannon turret that i use on most of my newest generation warships, and the rest of teh body should be stupidly obvious what its from...

Om2lFXt.png

Sliding doors never get old as many times as ive used em...

u3wn4rF.png

Now all this scene needs is a predator in the tree...

Sunday Morning comix...  Ridfren goes on a mapping expedition in the nearby Western Mountain Range.  [click + arrows = slide show]

GVLMgOC.png    WaCRUZr.png    wHnkdJB.png    0dP8Ywb.png

Sometimes, on a westerly departure, you want a nice flat climb to build to supersonic speed:

Spoiler

Hence the new waypoint:

6WW9oE9.png

Testing the new Pegasus 8 Lux...

Edited by Hotel26

GhJsnxS.png

Gemini, on a Titan III transtage? Where could this be going, I wonder..?

Il36p5b.png

The answer to that question is Minmus. Bill Kerman here conducts the first EVA in space above Minmus (and above any celestial body other than Kerbin).

22LbKob.png

The transtage conducts most of the orbital insertion burn, but the Gemini engines have to be used for the last of it.

NbOAICf.png

A second burn was done an orbit later to lower the trajectory to a 17x17km orbit.

YjxGKH8.png

Valentina conducting the first EVA in Minmus orbit.

XFGi69L.png

Time for descent.

zPwhMJA.png

A perfectly successful landing. The al-Idrisi cartography satellite I've previously posted about helped with choosing a sufficiently flat landing site, which, combined with the low gravity of Minmus and the position of the engines in the concave service module, meant that the lack of landing gear was not a concern. Which is good, because the delta-v budget for this mission left little to spare.

xE4rYKC.png

Surface EVA and collection of surface samples were next. Unfortunately all of the best rocks were larger than the spacecraft itself; they will probably require more specialized tools to study in future.

iA4QKMv.png

Ascent from the surface of Minmus went smoothly, although surface samples weighed down the spacecraft right to the limit.

C4ubPaQ.png

And the first kerbals to visit Minmus leave the minty moon, after burning up just about all of the remaining fuel. There was barely enough monopropellant left to run the re-entry thrusters.

tt4jFAL.png

NYOCMIj.png

Q5ZuVXP.png

The return to Kerbin's surface was nominal and uneventful, making for a perfectly successful Minmus mission.

The engineers went a little... overboard

Inspired by a Kerbin geography map located on the Kerbin Nation States site, the KSP Korps of Engineers led by Theodore "Teddy" Kerman decided to make something really big.... 

tJjIGcO.png

THE PANOCEAN CANAL!

Aora9Kg.png

bDuqhuE.png

True naval circumnavigation of Kerbin is now a reality!

Next steps... some bridges and other facilities...

EDIT:

If anyone wants to play around with this little vacation side project. I've posted the necessary configurations here: Panocean Canal v1.0.0

• Check the README.md for dependencies
Edited by Caerfinon
link to github

Parked the first probe to reach another planet in my latest playthrough around Moho - and still kind of wondering if the rush was worth it. Okay, so I've launched it in the first transfer window in the game. I couldn't have gotten anywhere else faster, save wasteful trajectories, given I've reached Moho before the second transfer transfer window of the game came up. But the amount of science I got from the mission is laughable compared to what I'm getting near Kerbin thanks to better science tech.

Oh well, maybe the lander that's to arrive a few days later will give me a bit more :)

Upgraded my favorite lander to modern standards, and enough dV to drag my transporter into orbit around Duna...

ELlU3nq.png

551lKoS.png

Its got about 1300dV with the main engines (while carrying the transporter), and about 2000 more with the single nuke (this isnt really useful dV outside of interplanetary, but its there and i just cannot make it any more TWR since its already way too heavy and draggy).

DyM0MBU.png

mVnI8hO.png

I know its not the right thing to land the aliens APC with, but to be honest the dropship from that movie never spoke to me asthetically, so i made my own craft for the job (its also able to be delivered using my SSTO dropship, but that one doesnt look anything like the aliens dropship either)...

meV9caE.png

Also, anyone know what inspired that lander i made?

(Its a stupidly niche reference, seen in a single episode of a show i watched as a kid, and ive been unable to find a single picture of it anywhere online either, just remember vaguely from memory)...

LQfwxKU.png

O1VnxTW.png

yDUpmMz.png

rwJqL6A.png

1YBbuSH.png

Launched the first space station in the MOSS (Modular Orbital Science Station) Program. The transtage will remain connected for stationkeeping purposes until future modules are added. Unfortunately, although the docking connector at the back of MOSS 1 has an internal passageway, we have yet to develop such technology on a small enough scale to use with existing crewed vessels, so station crews will need to traverse the vacuum of space in order to get between the station and their spacecraft.

4ByBxGi.png

Speaking of crew, the first crew have been sent to MOSS 1. Debner and Wilvis are new cosmonauts, and this is the most complicated first mission of the space program thus far. Science instruments aboard the station will be collecting data to analyse in the on-board laboratory, and the crew will stay in Kerbin orbit for 40 days before returning.

A fuel truck, JET-A.  Reversing its claw under a plane to dock is fun.  But I wish I had never done it: Robotic Roulette still scares me to death!

Spoiler

VCrnC0R.png

And a new "Lego" airport, Salisbury.  I've been switching parts around for a day or so, now...  This one is about as big as I ever want to build.

Spoiler

HeTQPFp.png

Edited by Hotel26

15 minutes ago, septemberWaves said:

LQfwxKU.png

O1VnxTW.png

yDUpmMz.png

rwJqL6A.png

1YBbuSH.png

Launched the first space station in the MOSS (Modular Orbital Science Station) Program. The transtage will remain connected for stationkeeping purposes until future modules are added. Unfortunately, although the docking connector at the back of MOSS 1 has an internal passageway, we have yet to develop such technology on a small enough scale to use with existing crewed vessels, so station crews will need to traverse the vacuum of space in order to get between the station and their spacecraft.

4ByBxGi.png

Speaking of crew, the first crew have been sent to MOSS 1. Debner and Wilvis are new cosmonauts, and this is the most complicated first mission of the space program thus far. Science instruments aboard the station will be collecting data to analyse in the on-board laboratory, and the crew will stay in Kerbin orbit for 40 days before returning.

What are your visual mods? specifically TUFX config