What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

Yep, I trimmed down the engine to 0.79 TWR and did a better job on setting up the flaperons (the lower ones were doing negative work!), and managed to do the stunt even better. Still need to find a way to lower that Gs (11.8 on peak) tough. :)

0000.jpg

0001.gif

Full scale images on my site.

Nice seams better, do you have a new link for this craft version? Is this one? https://kerbalx.com/Lisias/FS-Prop-Test-173

I tested that one, I just updated the breaks to 90% you will see in video, it will make the landing much easier...

• About the Gs, yes you can limit a bit more the elevators in order do decrease it a little bit.
  • 6Gs without pilot suit feels like 10Gs with a pilot suit, so you will notice it... :)

@Lisias

Edited by pmborg

Inspired by this thread, I tried out kerbal aviation program (building planes in ksp), and I loved it :). I built 4 planes x 1-4, named for the nasa x-planes.

mtXWvyM.png 1 is the action group to flip the rear engines up.

0JEW0q8.png Liftoff!

5xH8WCM.png

After liftoff.

EYdK8lQ.png All these planes have probe cores, to avoid unneeded pilot deaths.

Y8sPACM.png Which was helpful. I should have used spoiler boxes, I'm out of space, this will continue in my next post.

Spoiler

Here we go:

iEuT1xW.png It flies, it just doesn't turn.

Pm9XRws.png This one's my favorite.

obXOCNx.png On the runway, it needs to go preposterously fast to take off, about 200m/s

Wfkf65j.png cool shot

nYb31ZD.png After takeoff you can slow down to less mad speeds.

3qDdfEC.png Another beauty shot

1gmBxYC.png Jeb uses the parachutes to come down, he may be a redneck, but he knows his limits.

Next

TbSa6xt.png Tweakscale gelore!

6Lx200B.png payload bay

1RY468d.png In air.

OxnyMhN.png Used chutes to land, and engines.

Building off my last foray into reusable vehicles,  I've upgraded my winged reusable booster from partial reuse to full reuse- and made it much bigger. My favorite launch vehicle to date: 

Spoiler

s6lZpPU.png

Much larger then the preceding Mayflower I,  the Mayflower II towers over the launchpad...

r0pdWcP.png

The first stage is powered by four KS-25s, and has a higher TWR then the one KS-25 winged booster which preceded it. 

oIsi7wF.png

Like the Mayflower I, the Mayflower II separates it's two stages at 55 km. 

YdiJMq4.png

The Mayflower II second stage, or more accurately the Mayflower II orbital shuttle, is powered by a single KS-25 which lofts the orbiter into LKO.

q2xTlyJ.png

Although the reentry profile is similar to the Mayflower I, the Mayflower II first stage is so large it  needs two airbrakes to reach subsonic velocity and activate it's four Wheesley turbofans. 

KK6fWBt.png

The first stage uses it's four jet engines to land on the peninsula 300 km downrange from KSC

8imadH4.png

Meanwhile, in orbit, the orbital shuttle deploys a 10 ton dummy payload, to demonstrate it's satellite-launching abilities. Unlike OTL's space shuttle, the Mayflower II Shuttle can fly manned or unmanned, so a crew does not have to risk their lives for simple commercial launches. 

ZHBJRf3.png

The Shuttle renters over the large desert on the western continent. 

VVhUga4.png

A gentle landing brings the test flight to a close. With the advent of full reuse, Kerbin has reached a new era in space exploration. 

Edited by Dinozone

I've been gone.. again. School messes with your free time. So does procrastination. But in the meantime, I got a new laptop!

I heard rumors about the new apple M1 chip being good. It has literally transformed my KSP install from a slideshow to a game. a solid 60 fps, and that was only because I capped it. With demanding visual mods. And while being emulated by Rosetta 2. How, I don't understand. But it looks great.

jsQLITI.png

Same old save of mine that's been going on since forever. I finally installed waterfall. No regrets. I kept realplume for the SRB effects though, they look awesome.

F5LCPjr.png

Full throttle

m9MZact.png

DNf4e0G.png

Nuclear plumes are amazing. I regret not installing waterfall earlier.

X34kdjq.png

RIrQDHG.png

I also installed AVP. My old Macbook couldn't handle AVP, but with this I can finally upgrade from Spectra. It's nice to have a change for sure.

bnv1Kld.png

0HJJhQA.png

No words. Looks like something out of EVE Online.

sXPq6gN.png

CVraTnk.png

I had returned the crew of Ares 2 back to orbit, and so I had left the lander nearby, uncrewed of course. Having a little degree of probe control, I decided to do a flyby. 

I hoped you guys enjoyed, and I look forward to actually getting back and playing ksp againtm

Spoiler

How many times have I said that? I really need to start counting.

Eeloo Lander Cursed Mission

When I saw the comet, an omen of doom and imminent misfortunes, I should have immediately abort the mission, but no..
..I continued regardless of the warning and paid dearly: continuous game crashes, while trying to leave the Eeloo's surface
made me close to act like this:

pc%20rage.gif?dl=1

..anyway at the end, somehow, I completed the mission.

Valentina on Eeloo Surface

main.png?dl=1

Images

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ox3c8bqgp2q506/Cursed Eeloo Lander Mission.mkv?dl=0

Contract

contract.jpg?dl=1

Orthogonal Projections

orthogonals.jpg?dl=1

Comet

comet.jpg?dl=1

Mission Summary

mission%20summary%20pano%20-%20time%208%

Fuel left: Oxi: 0.09 - LF: 0.07
Time Spent: 8 years 14 days - Kerbin Launch at y180 d78
Eeloo Lander: stayed on the surface the time to place the Flag and the Small Lamps.
Touch, Flag and Go.

Stages and Science

stages%20and%20science.jpg?dl=1

Parts: 101
Mass: 440t
Total dV in Vacuum: 9770

Science

Obtained all the possible Eeloo space science and all the science from the "Craters" biome.
10 +29 +19 = 58 Science Experiments brought home in two missions:
This one and the previous "Flyby - Relay Release".

Notes

Almost none Monopropellant used.
MJ adv transfer for both the round trip maneuvers.
From an Eeloo polar orbit, landed on a precise,
decided in advance eq. site,
with only a few meters of difference. Inclination 0.5°.
All maneuvers made by MJ, launches apart made by GT.

Images

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ox3c8bqgp2q506/Cursed Eeloo Lander Mission.mkv?dl=0

Edited by antipro

I sent some crew off to Duna to join the base modules I previously launched.

Spoiler

20210830171020_1.jpg

20210830171158_1.jpg
I launched the transport mothership first. It is divided into three parts, the transfer stage on the left, the lander stage in the middle, and the pod on the right. The transfer stage is left in orbit while the pod and lander descend, and when the crew is ready to return to Kerbin, the lander is left in orbit for the next mission and the pod and transfer stage return home. A shuttle picks up the crew, and the craft can be reused for another mission.

20210830175201_1.jpg
First, I needed a working shuttle. To test it, I sent it to the Mun to pick up a kerbal.

20210830180221_1.jpg

20210830182447_1.jpg
Pictures of everything that happened at the Mun were lost, but trust me it happened.

20210830182726_1.jpg
I was aiming for the Dessert Airfield, but overshot.

20210830182944_1.jpg
The plane also had a hard time pitching up, so the bottom airbrake was used to soften the landing.

20210831172047_1.jpg
For the second launch, the plane was revamped so it could actually pitch up when gliding to the KSC.

20210831172909_1.jpg

20210831172952_1.jpg

20210831173046_1.jpg
The lead engineer got out to inspect the craft's systems before they left for Duna.

20210831173219_1.jpg

20210831173548_1.jpg
The re-entry and descent were much more controllable this time.

20210831173813_1.jpg
A perfect landing, 0 quickloads required for the entire mission.

20210831174112_1.jpg
The crew left at the very end of the Duna transfer window, significantly later than the rest of the craft.20210831174329_1.jpg

Take one “rover” which is decidedly short on wheels…

Vj3dw2a.png

Add one rover with a surplus of wheels…

F9pphl2.png

Add engineer to provide energy and catalyse endothermic reaction and…

l5PYf55.png

Rovers successfully bonded together, now featuring the more science, better power generation, more powerful communications of the wheel-less dud and the self-driving abilities (and mobility) of the donor rover, now turned into a trailer on the back. Off it went to explore Minmus even more, gathering seismic data as it trundled along at a blistering 1.4m/s, only marginally faster than a Kerbal can walk in this low gravity,

Bill admired his handiwork for a while before returning to orbit- and also remembered to plant a flag, which Bob did not; though Bob was probably concussed at the time, see above…

I haven't gotten to post here recently, so this includes multiple days:

Spoiler

LG28MKB.png Had this idea for a while

21nywyr.png JkDSLgm.png See that line in the background, that's the kerbin's small (I refuse to spell it wrong) rings mod, deleted it after this session.

vE2LhhX.png Colour is due to simple recolor mod.

LxLtXbq.png 0sVlxyE.png Top speed: 1011 m/s on 4 afterburnin' panthers

sMQ4zGh.png started work on a shuttle 2 replica, this is the escape pod.

BTj3VsA.png cheated up to 3000m glides well, fired escape rockets.

XWLaNgN.png Landed in water without a kaboom, somehow

mJ3xb0f.png loads of tweakscale!

zzawdQE.png if you are wondering why there are engines on the tanks, the answer is that I needed more thrust

Qh3pXOB.png BANG!!!

7pVOnlo.png More Kabang

JCBLLtY.png YVnyoWS.png Don't worry, I had the sense to use probe cores

vvcF0Gd.png I somehow did this by accident

Presenting: Shenanigans

xqKLXjT.png Turns out, there are no colliders on the people in the vab.

dpZKRkp.png

Recently I've been having a lot of fun trying to get an orange tank into orbit with the lightest SSTO possible. With a runway takeoff (not using flats or hills), the best I could do is just under 55 tons launch mass, or a payload fraction of 66%. In other words, a 18.86 ton plane can bring a 36.05 ton payload to orbit.

bQZKF5y.png

Here it is in the VAB

2dnhtJ5.png

And in orbit with the slimmest of margins!

Spoiler

dSqSNej.png

Flying level until 400 m/s

zn6CzUX.png

Climb to 19 km

6RGbp1B.png

Turn on nuclear engine at 1710 m/s

WjuSIZo.png

Pushing to orbit

tonE606.png

Circularizing

Edited by camacju

My OPM grand tour explored the rest of the Sarnus system

Slate looks good from orbit

Sm2wxPD.png

But once on the ground, it's a very harsh environment. Looks like it would be nice to explore with a dedicated rover. But a rover that doubles as ascent vehicle don't have enough powerto climb in this high gravity environment.

FVl7WWD.png

Also, I find extremely irrealistic to have an airless world just besides a much smaller world with a thick atmosphere. I ranted analyzed at lenght the issue in the dedicated mission report thread, showing how it would be completely impossible.

Hale, right in the middle of the ring system, is perhaps the most beautiful place in the whole kerbol system

hgGnvor.png

Gravity is so low that the lander won't stop bouncing. Had to send an astronaut in eva to plant the flag like this

MvHT9xs.png

wZQbGO2.png

EYb5iKB.png

Too bad kerbalism places it straight in the middle of the second deadliest radiation belt of the game. My crew could survive 150 minutes in that environment, give or take. Time spent on EVA would count tenfold, as radiation shielding in the ship was already reducing damage by 90%. To get there and away fast enough I had to use crazy ridiculous high energy transfers, costing over 5 km/s

d2wvf1K.png

Coming in from a polar trajectory was necessary to skip most of the radiations. But of the 250 minutes allowed, I spent a good 15 just making the injection burn.

Finally Ovok is just outside of the rings. It's also deep inside the radiation belt, though being on a higher orbit it is a bit cheaper to reach. The sky is as beautiful as that of Hale. But the ground is dull.

0eU69eR.png

This planet is so small, my mothership is clearly visible from orbit:

r4WTtcu.png

I brought it there with alt-f12 just to try the picture, of course; doing otherwise would just kill the crew

the last moon of Sarnus is Eeloo, the same from Stock; it's just being moved around.

Changed the Kerbal renamer configs, tested, worked, put it in my main install, forgot to click "do not rename original four", Jeb, Bob, Bill, and Val got kidnapped and impersonated, used backup persistent save to bring them back, clicked "do not rename original four", And now it's working, I did this in my main save file, Luckily it never renames existing Kerbals, so Phogan, Katrina, and Billy-Bobsy, some of my favorite kerbals, weren't kidnapped.

Anyways with it up and running, Jeb took some of our new recruits for a ride:

Spoiler

vpuu6nx.png wSPHiCD.png 4dhTfhb.png SYVUK6R.png jyHnm3L.png OQLc4n5.png