What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I have done some more stuff! (though mostly just messing around and marveling at my new graphics)

First up, cleanup. I had left a Callisto-Thunderbird in orbit as a test launch, and so it was time to deorbit it, as it had nothing else to do.

osn1Wyy.png

p0HPybK.png

pHRv47q.png

KvriMWM.png

GQjfqB0.png

Completely unplanned, I landed within range of the KSC

p6SsO3q.png

E0f1cZi.png

Still having the graphics bug, I itched to do another launch (getting stuff done was a secondary objective). 

WFNG8xt.png

rTwOKne.png

JfESYs7.png

7xXSQcg.png

FVGuEvx.png

Turns out, with better framerates it's actually harder to control this rocket, the Thunderbird. I didn't realize exactly how insane I had set the TWR and so I burnt most of my fuel going straight up and attempting to do a gravity turn. I ended up almost in orbit, with about 100 m/s left on the maneuver. Which I could fix with the spacecraft itself of course.

YEjIPom.png

However, I didn't realize that my throttle was still on full, and when I tried to transposition it ignited the service module's engines on full blast, and exploded the second stage and the orbital module.

Spoiler

osn1Wyy.png

For reference (or you could scroll up and find this exact same picture), here is the Callisto with it's orbital module.

I was going to do a Mun Mission, having the Callisto dock to an ANTS nuclear tug and send it around the Mun, but with my rules of 'Realismtm' (also known as Realism when convenient and as an excuse), 3 crew would be pretty cramped in a Mun mission without an orbital module. So it was reentry, again.

OwTkuYp.png

nJSYDrj.png

GbzqrTc.png

MA8lS1a.png

2un0zzj.png

The area the capsule landed in was absolutely gorgeous, but it gave me quite a scare. I had accidentally cut the drogue chutes (action group 1, I meant to press 3) so we were coming over faster than usual, and over a mountain. Fortunately the chutes fully deployed about 100 meters from hitting the ground.

Completely unrelated, I went for a drive!

6EjgOwV.png

OWZQdwJ.png

0IjmTNN.png

I never knew that external seats could just eject kerbals if they were flipped over. You learn something new everyday.

52 minutes ago, Misguided Kerbal said:

I have done some more stuff! (though mostly just messing around and marveling at my new graphics)

First up, cleanup. I had left a Callisto-Thunderbird in orbit as a test launch, and so it was time to deorbit it, as it had nothing else to do.

osn1Wyy.png

p0HPybK.png

pHRv47q.png

KvriMWM.png

GQjfqB0.png

Completely unplanned, I landed within range of the KSC

p6SsO3q.png

E0f1cZi.png

Still having the graphics bug, I itched to do another launch (getting stuff done was a secondary objective). 

WFNG8xt.png

rTwOKne.png

JfESYs7.png

7xXSQcg.png

FVGuEvx.png

Turns out, with better framerates it's actually harder to control this rocket, the Thunderbird. I didn't realize exactly how insane I had set the TWR and so I burnt most of my fuel going straight up and attempting to do a gravity turn. I ended up almost in orbit, with about 100 m/s left on the maneuver. Which I could fix with the spacecraft itself of course.

YEjIPom.png

However, I didn't realize that my throttle was still on full, and when I tried to transposition it ignited the service module's engines on full blast, and exploded the second stage and the orbital module.

Hide contents

osn1Wyy.png

For reference (or you could scroll up and find this exact same picture), here is the Callisto with it's orbital module.

I was going to do a Mun Mission, having the Callisto dock to an ANTS nuclear tug and send it around the Mun, but with my rules of 'Realismtm' (also known as Realism when convenient and as an excuse), 3 crew would be pretty cramped in a Mun mission without an orbital module. So it was reentry, again.

OwTkuYp.png

nJSYDrj.png

GbzqrTc.png

MA8lS1a.png

2un0zzj.png

The area the capsule landed in was absolutely gorgeous, but it gave me quite a scare. I had accidentally cut the drogue chutes (action group 1, I meant to press 3) so we were coming over faster than usual, and over a mountain. Fortunately the chutes fully deployed about 100 meters from hitting the ground.

Completely unrelated, I went for a drive!

6EjgOwV.png

OWZQdwJ.png

0IjmTNN.png

I never knew that external seats could just eject kerbals if they were flipped over. You learn something new everyday.

What mod are the orbital module and the landing bags from your Callisto-Thunderbird from?

Edited by Neebel

14 minutes ago, Neebel said:

What mod are the orbital module and the landing bags from your Callisto-Thunderbird from?

Orbital module looks like an RPD-12 Itinerant Service Compartment from Near Future Spacecraft. Landing bags are from the USI Exploration Pack (in bundled DERP/Survivability Pack)

1 hour ago, Caerfinon said:

Thank God It's Friday!

Bill and Bob discover The Outpost Tavern is now selling Beer! (and at ridiculously low prices). Looks like some missions may be "scrubbed" today

KfcWZF5.png

This is one of my favorite posts of all time in any social media platform.

I did a bunch of stuff:

Spoiler

I installed some mods: Namely: Hullcam VDS, for it's first person feature, Chatterer, Which is just awesome, and Minimum ambient lighting, I might lower its brightness.

Val has flown nowhere near enough in this save, so, I fixed it:

b5Z5Psw.png Yup, that's the boxcutter from a few posts back.

d1PFTfw.png EtdVRkG.png oViVPry.png There's about a 1 in 40 chance of getting this. :D 

W6JPCGw.png 06xGnGw.png Katrina Kerman (Jeb's twin sister in my head canon) took the Aeris 3a.1 (improved Aeris 3a) for a spin to test the new mission coms.

5Fczj4Q.png

AJqpP43.png

Still new to landing, so this was an accomplishment. :D 

7LMLt6g.png

Scientist Zes Von-Kerman, about to jump into a pool, to test if this water is also fake.

36zVEpo.png

Yup, pool is from ksc extended, first person, check the spoiler box. ;) 

Ps: @Misguided KerbalWhat visual mods, (specifically Tufx configs) are you using?

Edited by Hyperspace Industries

I landed on Ike.

Spoiler

20210903175707_1.jpg
My efforts to kolonize Duna have led me to Ike in search of more science, and to add another kerbal to the roster.

20210903175804_1.jpg

20210903180058_1.jpg
Kerbal saved successfully.

I decided to land at an anomaly my SCANsats found. (Don't click on the spoiler below if you don't want to know where it is!)

Spoiler

20210903180736_1.jpg
Coordinates are on the SCANsat window.

20210903181207_1.jpg
The easter egg is a Magic Boulder, new in 1.12.

20210903181430_1.jpg

20210903181607_1.jpg
I then did lots of science.

20210903181910_1.jpg

20210903182248_1.jpg
I set up a deployed science station and a small probe to gather gravioli and seismometer data. With Kerbalism, these experiments take a long time to run.

20210903183153_1.jpg

20210903183524_1.jpg
After the science was done, I went back to Duna orbit to wait for the transfer window home.

Fully stock, recovered 95% of my rocket! And without making sacrifices to the launch trajectory!

The first stage did a boost-back burn to land right next to the Island airfield; and the second stage delivered it’s payload to a Munar trajectory. Afterwards, landing somewhere…

Just south of the thazi straight

cTyhxpi_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Edited by Wizard Kerbal

Nuclear Moho probe.

Yes, the NERV is heavy and expensive (even more so with the ‘high quality’ version to extend its rated burn time) and yes, thirty tons of stuff of which 0.75 tons is spacecraft is pretty extreme, but who can argue with 13km/s of vacuum delta-V? I looked at other options but none came close to packing as much delta-V into the same footprint.

With a TWR of 0.2 and some stupidly long burns to get down to Moho (which in the Snarkiverse orbits much closer to the sun than usual) this could take a while.

I did a load of stuff again:

Spoiler

IDTqzXt.png

9b8B6oO.png

After a quasi-gazilion tries Val landed on the runway!!!!!!!!! How awesome is That!!!!! My first runway landing!!!!!

9Eq5ZtO.png

A fairly standard (cheated into low Mun orbit, because I love landing, but hate launching to orbit, I enjoy doing it this way, even if it's cheating, it's fun, and that's all I care about :rolleyes:) Mun landing/mission.

pawmJ6R.png

YPx3WmK.png

I am pretty sure I haven't done a Mun landing in this save before, which is funny since I've done a Duna landing in this save (debug menu there too)

Ee6r6yL.png

Jeb becomes the first kerbal in this save to walk on the Mun.

lcDSNsH.png

LEisyiR.png

zxfFovn.png

Natalya Kermanilov (left) becomes the first engineer on the Mun, after Jeb broke the solar panel. (I had 6 rtgs, so they weren't in trouble)

roWKn8c.png

HHLPeFe.png

Scientist Haroldlo Kerbstein joins them on the surface.

DTvk7Oa.png

Due to a minor design flaw with the ladder, they had to fly their way up to the capsule, a fact I don't doubt Jeb was delighted to hear. ;) 

KhJWQAn.png

(cheated to lko) Partial eclipse o' Kerbol.

NHXHWQx.png

LTq5KFi.png

5wZKmzW.png

oJksiR6.png

Splashdown!!!

8HO2z2e.png

As the next day dawned, Jeb (and everyone else, but mainly Jeb) decided to take the day off.

uJsc63o.png

MgfB4eD.png

dwmKsWX.png

Jeb took a cruise in his jet-boat.

YTg8eyx.png

After that he took Rovy the rover out for a drive.

X2ZArzg.png

NecfbjT.png

And parked at his favorite place for a Kool-Drink, The Outpost Tavern! ;)  

Iyv6bfX.png

After filling up on his favorite drink, he went for a drive around the KSC.

5yGj762.png

0kE4jOc.png

aPOzA4Q.png

d1g9PB9.png

Jeb hit one of the crawler trenches to fast, and flipped end over end, he was surprised that nothing had broken, until he saw the tire had popped. :D 

W3cqaC9.png

Boy, do I regret not taking any screenshots during the roll, there were some awesome sights there!

hHciOAN.png

Jeb tried paramotoring.

wp8V3yt.png

And just barely survived! :D;) 

Edited by Hyperspace Industries
spell check

So yeah, saw someone on here make a few car replicas, didnt feel like space anything so i made this (which happens to be a replica of my all time favorite earth vehicle that was actually produced and used by humans)...

kIR4ZJk.png

illwqJO.png

Doors are really bad (couldnt do the proper window framing), but its all i could do without going to a larger scale (which wouldnt fit in with any of my other KSP crafts) or eating 200 parts...

pRWHJ2E.png

g3xkPE2.png

Turn signals actually work, albeit they dont quite look right (might try and use the robot controller instead of the stock blink interval thing).

Ika6ph0.png

No bloody clue why the hell i like ex-eastern blok cars so much, and utterly despise everything on the roads made after the year 2000, but yeah, heres my favorite earth car made for KSP...

18 hours ago, Misguided Kerbal said:

AVP, Scatterer, EVE, Distant Object Enhancement. I actually use a custom KS3P config as well as a Kopernicus sunlight booster config.

I wasn't aware ks3p still worked, cool! And I see you have kopernicus extension (or whatever it's called) giving kerbals on eva footprints. :D

Took a Hippo flying....

Let's see what this baby can do.

eroSABn.png

Bob, of course, had to bring his "science" work with him on this aerial joy ride. He kept mumbling "chockablock with data"...

umzo7tj.png

And it can set down in the middle of no where.

9VTplPr.png

Get your Hippo while supplies last: Hippo only available on KerbalX

Edited by Caerfinon

Have you ever accepted a contract, and as soon as you did you just knew it was gonna be trouble..?

Today I got a simple rescue mission, a Kerbanaut by the name of Lemdas had managed to get himself stranded in an inclined orbit around the Mun.  Val was next on the flight roster, so off she went in a two seater capsule.  Lemdas was stuck in a 16.5 degree orbit, and while getting into a similar orbit was no trouble for Val, once the rescue was over, she was too low in fuel to change the orbit's incline to return to Kerbin along the equator (as I always try to do).

Even before the launch, I had a bad feeling about this one, but so far all had went well, now all that had to be done was survive re-entry and land somewhere safe.

Re-entry was no problem, the parachute deployed but the mountains below didn't look too inviting.  Val landed on as close to a vertical face as I've seen in the game.  The capsule started tumbling down the cliff, exploded and killed both Val and Lemdas instantly.

Don't think I'll play anymore KSP tonight...;.;

1 hour ago, The Flying Kerbal said:

and killed both Val and Lemdas instantly

Oh no; not again!  I tell you I think Lemdas Kerman is the unluckiest Kerbal alive (on & off).  There's your jinx!

This is Lemdas Kerman, Mathematical Physicist and eminent B.A.S.E. jumper, just moments before he slipped and slid to his death, R.I.P.

5 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

Took a Hippo flying

Now I've seen everything: a hippo flying.  That is a beautiful sight, Caerfinon!

Edited by Hotel26

after running the numbers last night, today I tried to model an RD-270V to go with Glushko's proposal of putting RD-270s on the N-1 to reduce lag simplify plumbing and improve reliability. I felt I should make an RD-270V to replace the NK-15Vs on the Block B. Well, being the first FFSC ever made, the RD-270 was an incredibly complex engine.

oh my god why did i decide to do this life is pain

6 hours ago, Hyperspace Industries said:

I wasn't aware ks3p still worked, cool! And I see you have kopernicus extension (or whatever it's called) giving kerbals on eva footprints. :D

Indeed, KS3P is quite nice! Though if you can, TUFX is always the better option.

As I promised (mainly to myself), I have gotten back into KSP recently, and after finishing up just marveling at my new graphics capabilities and doing some chores, it is finally time to actually make progress!

0Y0tYLI.png

First I designed a whole new module for a whole new base. I've been focusing too much on interplanetary stuff like Eve and Duna so I haven't really done anything on or near the Mun. But with the Mun looking so pretty now, (and I had been neglecting it for a long time too) I had to do something.

Enter Homestead: the new, permanent Munbase. I didn't want to get too ahead of myself and then quit, so I began by designing a habitation module (way over-engineered, as per usual).

LQUBi2a.png

I didn't realize exactly how bad my heavy lift rocket, the Griffon, was designed until now. 

mI6wmXT.png

The boosters buckling, I managed to get it off the pad.

cicgpav.png

TQU7G6m.png

RnHG9EU.png

jFN68FW.png

Engine shots are the best. 

VjDdWXz.png

ki6seaU.png

bRrQpoY.png

040nwnP.png

Once in orbit, I sent one of my ANTS nuclear tugs, docked at the refueling station OFD-1, to retrieve the Homestead module and tug it to the Mun.

7YP2SiQ.png

iNsg13q.png

( I didn't take any pictures of the docking, so sorry about that.) 

0E1kSho.png

UNCqILG.png

QwSUaEB.png

Again, the Homestead module was way too over-engineered. I could have probably done without the vernier-powered braking stage (seen here)

mOaPPjH.png

Final descent was way easier than expected: the 6 terriers had more than enough thrust to slow it down, and I packed way too much fuel.

I569sDf.png

This picture wasn't actually of the first touchdown area, I originally came down on a slope but I managed to maneuver the craft to a spot pretty much in the center of the crater I landed in.

TjxnnUj.png

yAnduxa.png

HJtr7sr.png

More modules, and crew will be joining it soon! In the meantime everything is extended and it'll act as a target for the next module to arrive.

Also, here's a random screenshot I took of Mungate station:

CezhiQE.png