What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

A couple ingame years ago, a Kraken attack destroyed the wings of Jeb's SSTO while it was refueling at the Mun Space Station. Jeb decided to land on the Mun anyways, but broke both engines after landing when another kraken attack destroyed them upon loading a quicksave. 
Today I took this brand new Vertigull III SSTO to fetch him from the Mun's surface. The engines' ability to tilt vertical for nonatmospheric landings certainly simplified the landing process in this case. Since the Vertigull packs an ISRU suite, however, this is probably not the end of our crew's adventures. 

In other news, you can grab the Vertigull III here:

https://kerbalx.com/Dob23/Vertigull-IIIImage

Alright, sadly I won't be able to use pictures of the missions, but ok.

This is what I did in the last couple of days:

I made a Proton M rocket recreation (I called it Kroton), but its actually a remastered version of an earlier version that almost reached orbit. I made an attempt at a shuttle (Not the real one) and... It didn't work. What did you except? It to work? I would never be able to make a successful SSTO/shuttle! Anyways, I also made a giant monstrosity of a VTOL ( Well, at least I tried) and it didn't fly. I still think of upgrading it with MOAR PROPELLERZ!!!1! I launched a Jool probe with the Kroton as well making an encounter with Tylo (Tylo, Tylo, its off to space we go!) and took a distant picture of Laythe. I really think of placing a relay there.

17 hours ago, antipro said:

ok you're saying SLS boosters are the evolution of STS's ones.
well, ok but I was wondering only why Nasa didn't change their cones to some inclined ones.
isn't it better to have less pressure between main tank and boosters?

As we can see, slanted cones works - Atlas V and Ariane 5 uses them, but IMHO, NASA just has lots of data from flights with symmetrical cones, so why not use them.

But it is just an opinion :)

Technically yesterday, but I made a new superlifter meant to be an evolution of the Brute Force, being larger and more powerful. Unfortunately, I forgot to upload screenshots again, but as it turns out SpaceY's tallest 5m fuel tank isn't the best choice for a 30m base, since the TWR is bad. Hell, on full fuel load, once the boosters separate, the TWR is <1. So much for 2,500 tons to LKO in a single launch, huh? I'll probably have to shorten it, though the Brute Force still had 3/4 fuel left in the second stage when it achieved orbit lifting the 1,350 ton fusion torch module, so maybe it can get close to that.

Anyway, the total (vacuum) thrust for each stage, from first to third, is 1,410,000 - 126,000 - 5,400, which I'd say is pretty good, and accurately describes the saying of "If brute force isn't working, you're not using enough of it." Also, I had to use larger SRBs to separate the boosters from the main body, this time using SpaceY's Thor SRBs, to make sure that they got far enough away from the main body fast enough.

EDIT: Here's a picture early into construction, without the SRBs and upper stages. As you may be able to tell, I'm fond of the color blue. Pictured is the first stage and external LFBs, with a combined 1,134,000 kn of thrust.

CE9B942C88FCE6A963C9ACEE19B97BF16111B060

Edited by Kebab Kerman
pic

Not really in KSP, but...

made this kerbalized container size list for whatever reason

> ISO SERIES 1                      ▾kerbal resize      ▾round to nearest KSP size
        WIDTH    8'       2.44 m    x 0.625 = 1.525     ≈ 1.5 m
        HEIGHT   8' 6"    2.59 m    x 0.625 = 1.61875   ≈ 1.5 m
HICUBE  HEIGHT   9' 6"    2.90 m    x 0.625 = 1.8125    ≈ 1.875 m
        LENGTH   20'      6.10 m    x 0.625 = 3.8125    ≈ 3.75 m
DOUBLE  LENGTH   40'      12.19 m   x 0.625 = 7.61875   ≈ 7.5 m

> USA CONEX
        WIDTH    6' 3"    1.91 m    x 0.625 = 1.19375   ≈ 1.25 m
SMALL   WIDTH    4' 3"    1.30 m    x 0.625 = 0.8125    ≈ 0.9375 m
        HEIGHT   6' 10.5" 2.10 m    x 0.625 = 1.3125    ≈ 1.25 m
        LENGTH   8' 6"    2.59 m    x 0.625 = 1.61875   ≈ 1.5 m
SMALL   LENGTH   6' 3"    1.91 m    x 0.625 = 1.19375   ≈ 1.25 m

Standard Intermodal Container       SIC     ISO
Weatherproof Stackable Transporter  WESORT  CONEX

Homework has been stopping me from crashing stuff multiple times before finally succeeding in KSP for 2 weeks but I think I have some time to play today

5 hours ago, Hyperspace Industries said:

For some reason, I have (in the middle of exams no less) Friday, And Monday off, so, I attempted to start the weekend off with a bang! I deorbited skylab station for some nice fireworks. :D:

Burn baby Burn! :D 

How do you have exams this early in the year

Spoiler

;p

17 minutes ago, SSTO Crasher said:

Homework has been stopping me from crashing stuff multiple times before finally succeeding in KSP for 2 weeks but I think I have some time to play today

How do you have exams this early in the year

Reveal hidden contents

;p

We write 4 exams per year, our school year is devided into 4 terms, with a vacation (varying in length) between each, this is the end of term 3. :D

Today is the happiest day of my life (thus far):  DRES

R3EnAZS.png

I'm running a 24-hour marathon in a clean slate world and have bagged, so far: Kerbin, Mun, Minmus, Moho, Duna, Eve, Dres(!).  I had never been to Dres before.

I'm working on Vall and, finally, Eeloo will fall.  I have not yet been to Eeloo.

Spoiler

IltH53u.png

The Mighty Ion at work:             evh0in6.png

Once in stable, polar orbit, the assets will be transplanted into my mainline Orbit world using a technique Mission Control call "Gene splicing"...  120px-Gene_Kerman_in-editor.png

Edited by Hotel26

I have been reconstructing Minmus Orbital Relay Station which was built in a previous ( now lost ) playthrough.  Attached to the station's core you can see Rockomax  Fuel Tanks, A robo-tug and the Sky Crane which is my main tool for dropping modules for Rura Penthe Forced Labour Colony   Luxury Holiday Complex.  

ejk5K1s.jpg

The station will be expanded as needed.  It will form the waypoint for a fleet of re-usable craft to be refuelled and parked when not needed.

There are docking ports at the end of each tank module.  Along the core ( for small ships or expansion booms ) and at either end - currently at either end are engine clusters which is how MORS got to Minmus in the first place.

I, among other things, created a 1.10.1 instance and intalled ro/rss. My current goal is to get suborbital before October this year in sandbox, gotta start binge watchin' Carnasa's tutorials. :D;) 

First flight:

Spoiler

NlQAsnR.png

Explorer 1, 3 srbs, 3 decouplers and an rtg:sticktongue:

JzeSHhN.png

MsZIDBK.png

3R6iHqo.png

Went about as well as you'd expect. :D :rolleyes: :sticktongue:

Edited by Hyperspace Industries
Forgot the rtg!

2 hours ago, Hyperspace Industries said:

I, among other things, created a 1.10.1 instance and intalled ro/rss. My current goal is to get suborbital before October this year in sandbox, gotta start binge watchin' Carnasa's tutorials. :D;) 

First flight:

Hide contents

NlQAsnR.png

Explorer 1, 3 srbs, 3 decouplers and an rtg:sticktongue:

JzeSHhN.png

MsZIDBK.png

3R6iHqo.png

Went about as well as you'd expect. :D :rolleyes: :sticktongue:

BOOSTERS!!!

Well, ive launched for the first time since the dlc came out ages ago a rocket that truly HAD to be 5m in size (ive messed with 5m rocket parts before on treplicas of some real life stuff and when i was truly lazy and didnt want to make asparagus rockets, but never on anything that couldnt have been made from 3.75m parts with the right engineering).

WomJPdb.png

This thing drags 600t into orbit, and the first supercarrier/supertanker hybrid ive ever made that im actually happy with in the asthetics and functionality depts.

cgPJEUy.png

That bay is large enough to fit a Nebula class frigate and like 6 Nova corvettes beside it (and more starfighters/bombers then i could even consider due to part count lag).  I sorta designed it s a mobile shipyard (i know we dont have the means to make ships outside of kerbin in stock, but hey, drag enough ore up here, dump it, and teleport equivalent tonnage ship next to it makes some sense and you could even use the assemble in orbit to make something very simple nearby too).

IGRhXQ2.png

Has 5 heavy torpedoes so its not useless in a fight, and armor is what id call medium grade (far from weak, and basically immune to fireworks, but its based on older style armor from a few years ago and a solid hit on the upper spine with ibeams or any sort of 1.2m torpedoes can split it in half).  that and the fuel tanks are very easy to shoot off as well with the right ordinance, but theres enough redundancy there that even if half of the fuel is gomne its still got at least 3000 dV.

3ug4OjC.png

Yeah, theres still some stuff i plan to change after i try it out and see how well this thing works as a support ship, but it looks decent (sorta took the overall shape from the dimension cruiser, the front from nebula frigate, and the mid section is actually part of a shipyard i made ages ago so it retains the styling im a fan of with the combo of girders and wings covering up the gaps.