What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Sometimes even a routine mission to add another module to the fledgling VENTURE station can be pretty at least. Minbus 12 was a simple mission to Minmus and back, the 13th launch of the Minbus, to bring the 7th module to VENTURE, the Environmental Control and Regulation Module. The module also contains a large amount of fertillizer for VENTURE's agriculture module, which has yet to be launch.

QmMIhLm.png

Liftoff! The mission is carrying 3 kerbals, aboard the standard lifter.

X0qb34I.png

eFA3QAT.png

DIYJCbM.png

kJe9CGn.png

l0mwcl8.png

afqj7FR.png

The launch to orbit went smoothly as always, it was nice watching the reverse sunset, due to the altitude the sun rose above the horizon briefly before sinking once again.

r33z2g4.png

h8CGtUH.png

Leaving Kerbin,  I had a record time of 5 days to a Minmus encounter, considering the fact that most of my missions take 10-15 days to get there.

IhhCpnf.png

What's that little white dot near the center of Minmus on it's darkside just above the craft? Is it a glitch, a star that's shining through Minmus? No, it's VENTURE.

ihR8cuF.png

U2VIfLB.png

1GIVMwz.png

I obtained an intercept on the first side, (thankfully,) and was able to dock quickly. Soon after docking I moved the Minbus up to the Transportation Node's docking port in order to prevent the station from wobbling.

OnAnu8F.png

E0AcHLt.png

2V2v2ke.png

rktOhWU.png

Soon after, it was time to return home, after another few days in space, Minbus 12 splashed down safely just off the coast of the supercontinent, a successful end to yet another mission.

The lag hurts, but its worth it for the desktop worthy screenshots alone...

PERZiPX.png

Sunset pictures are so nice with that effect scatterer added a few updates ago that makes the sunlight turn orange as the sun sets on Kerbin...

pPc3Tmz.png

1460 parts total loaded, Dimension cruiser, Eclipse support ship, and Nebula frigate left->right.  I also swapped the last nuclear engine on the Nebula to a aerospike, so its now running on 3 of those and i got the dV up to 2000 by jamming a few aux fuel tanks under the wing sections.  About as clippy as im willing to go, but it can take a heavy torpedo and live, is nolonger instantly deengined by fireworks (although its weapons will be evicerated sadly by them as easily as before), and its as of this point my most iconing ship at least with regards to AKS faction styling.  That and its got plenty of redundant vernors so even if all its engines are shot off it can still limp somewhere with ~800-1500dV depending on what exactly was shot off by said fireworks.

5vTFfX4.png

Defenetely like my new ship, its capable of singlehandedly supporting like 5 Nebulas and a cruiser with regards to fuel, and it can even carry a Nebula internally (although its a pain to get it in/out as you need to go it at angle as the opening isnt quite arge enough to fit it in sideways like it should).  I ended up shoving it inside backwards as its front tapers down a bit and makes it easier to get past the bend...

And...  Eeloo!  I have now checked all the boxes on the list.

(With a descending intercept on Eeloo, I elected to expend the last of the chemical fuel 100d before encounter burning Target Retrograde to lower the eventual intercept speed.  Everything worked out well.)

KO4ye8R.png

Ai2YCPO.png    As soon as one engages the Dawn ion drives (plenty early for capture), all that matters is that the time-to-escape is increasing!

A HARRIER-ing Experience

Val conducting test flights on the new VTOL aircraft. Take off seems OK

w200owr.png

Val now switches to "Weeeee VROOOOM Weee" flight mode

pttbeA4.png

From the fine folks at @ColdJ Aerospace and Neat Stuff Inc.

Seamless transition between Vertical and Horizontal flight courtesy of Throttle Controlled Avionics and Atmosphere Autopilot (Fly-By-Wire)

I launched a mission to Dak for a contract. 

Spoiler

I used a pile of Vectors on this one.

YCD8oax.png

TJFbr5b.png

While it travelled to a mid course burn my Jool Contract was completed and I shifted over to Tylo to snag another contract.

3TLDLZW.png

Then I took a flyby of Vall for the science,

mftaeFR.png

Now back to the Dak probe for a mid course correction. Which I totally screw up wasting D/V by being fat fingered and was only able to get a fly-by instead of an orbit.

abVVBzx.png

At least I get a contract completed for science transmission from Edna and the science for Dak.

qEDiudd.png

Oh and the fly-by had a PE of 3.8 km and I found a mountain.

DFOIl3s.png

Today I conducted the first launch of my Delta IV Heavy recreation. All went according to plan with the rocket launching to operational altitude. However, because this was a test launch with no payload onboard, I decided not to go into a stable orbit just to keep the debris in orbit to a minimum.  I also discovered you can clip a lot of Vector engines into each other and they won't overheat each other.

Image gallery of the test launch:

Spoiler

screenshot46.png

a50screenshot48.png

Engine ignition. 

a2screenshot49.png

Lift off.

screenshot50.png

screenshot53.png

Side stage separation.

screenshot54.png

Core stage burn.

57ascreenshot55.png

Fairing deployment.

screenshot58.png

I think I need to adjust my fuel levels in the core stage because at this point in the mission it still had over 3000 m/s of dV remaining and the second stage has about 2000 m/s of dV.

Edited by Sivako Aerospace

I've been feeling the COVID blues of late and missing the Before Times, so I made a recreation of the K.S.S. Intrepid, created by @Kuzzter for his Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey webcomic. I remember eagerly awaiting the next issue of the webcomic... Anyway, my recreation isn't an exact copy since it's difficult to gauge the exact construction details and KSP has changed greatly since Intrepid took to the skies, so I named my ship the K.S.S. Voyager[*]. In my head cannon, KSC's Deep Space Network received a powerful transmission containing the historical documents from a Superimposed Alternate Variant Existence (SAVE) known as Kerbfleet. Learning from their example, kerbals around the world set aside their differences, formed the United Nations of Kerbin, combined rival space agencies, and set out to build an Intrepid-class ship of their own...

BQ1dQrJ.png

The bridge. Not quite finished yet, but it's getting there...

Ug1PmWj.png

The bow, with space doors opened:

T8gT5vn.png

Inside the hangar bay. You can see the life support systems to port and starboard. This ship uses Snacks.

HOG2CAx.png

Pod 5, known as Pod Q on the Intrepid:

Fw8uSaB.png

SPH view of the bow:

C3Ips6A.png

jnjWnt7.png

...and the stern. Here you can see that I kept the Rhino engines, but replaced the 24 LV-Ns with 4 DMB0 "Trinity" Tri-Modal Atomic Rockets from my Deep Space Exploration Vessels mod.

kRqupfN.png

And one last beauty shot:

8daDrvw.png

Voyager has 4 SCANSAT relay probes, an aft Tugboat, and space for a small rover, a pair of "Jool Diver" probes, a Laythe shuttle ("Skimmeroo in Kerbfleet") and a mining and refueling vessel ("Quammer" in Kerbfleet). I haven't made those vessels yet, but I might at some point. :)

[*] In Star Trek Lore, the USS Voyager was an Intrepid-class starship.

I launched and successfully tested a warp-capable ship from Kerbin to Narath (Galaxies Unbound). Unfortunately, an unexpected explosive anomaly1 within the exotic matter storage units caused the loss of the negative-antiosmium2 used to create the warp field, stranding the poor kerbals on the planet. As usual, I forgot to get screenshots, but I will upload a screenshot in an edit if I remember to. I'll probably do a colony ship next, with much better3 exotic matter storage units.

Spoiler

1Kraken attack.

2The reason negative-antimatter is used is due to antimatter only annihilating its matter counterpart, i.e. proton + antiproton = annihilation, however proton + antineutron = no annihilation. I've extended this idea to mass and negative mass, the theory being that negative-antimatter will not cancel out positive matter, but only positive antimatter. This eliminates the problem of negative and positive matter cancelling out the others existence (i.e. 1 - 1 = 0.) As to why negative-antiosmium specifically, it is because of its high density. I'm pulling this out of my rear, but it works in my head, so I'm gonna stick with it.

3Less krakenbaity.

Edited by Kebab Kerman
i forgor

After a week back home with no KSP, I'm back again and continuing my Into the Snarkiverse playthrough with, hmm... One relay relaying, two rovers roving, three orbiters orbiting and a sample collection mission that managed to turn its capture burn around Eve into a direct intercept of Ike; saved fuel and got more samples sooner, but I didn't get the full samples from Eve space low because the capture took place in the dark (as is right and proper :wink:) so there wasn't enough power to run the materials bay and mystery goo. Unfortunately I forgot about the little relay/science probe stuck to the top of the whole stack so that didn't get dropped off into a polar Eve orbit to do its science-y stuff; I may yet be able to do something with it, but for now it's staying with the rest of the mission.

I'm working on a 1.3 kT asteroid pusher... got that working after @Lisias helped hack the craft file that crashed KSP due to suspected KSP core bug caused by symmetry building operations. Then I built a recoverable SSTO booster to get it to LKO... 7.6 kT total.  A 15 m Mammoth for motivation.

K1N55px.png

Problem is the wimpy 5 m fairing base is getting CRUSHED by 2 kt of force when I try to launch it.  

G96IPuU.png

I could make it smaller... and admit defeat. Or try to redesign the upper stage with a 7.5m core and eliminate the fairing.

On 9/24/2021 at 1:03 PM, Hyperspace Industries said:

I, among other things, created a 1.10.1 instance and intalled ro/rss. My current goal is to get suborbital before October this year in sandbox, gotta start binge watchin' Carnasa's tutorials. :D;) 

First flight:

Hide contents

NlQAsnR.png

Explorer 1, 3 srbs, 3 decouplers and an rtg:sticktongue:

JzeSHhN.png

MsZIDBK.png

3R6iHqo.png

Went about a

Satisfaction noises

I finally finished the math that has stopped me from playing ksp for 2 weeks

I did some stuff on the Island Airfield

QjBTL3m.png

UF3bkfp.png
8ecLMoq.png
I made a lighthouse with a tiny little jetty (which is at least a kilometre away. I'll be sure to send a buggy to the lighthouse next time). The actual lighthouse tower and the jetty are from old Kerbinside, the path between them is mostly made of standard-length Kerbinside Remastered unpaved road parts at 0.6x scale. The lighthouse base and some fillers on the path are from Omega's Stockalike Structures, and the lighthouse tower entrance is a small generic 'utility building' also from OSS (because the lighthouse static didn't have an entrance for some reason). The lighthouse keeper 'house' is Tundra Space Center's LC5-6 blockhouse.

ualx3F5.png
I added a fuelling station on one of the block rectangle remnant things the Island Airfield has. Sells high-grade kerosene (just stock liquid fuel) and liquid methane. Tanks are stock statics from 1.12, and store is a Kerbinside guardhouse. 
8YHU92z.png
And the store sells Snacks.

I think I'll replace the lighthouse with JNSQ's much better-looking static (not gonna be installing JNSQ, just the static)

Edited by OrdinaryKerman