What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Guest The Doodling Astronaut

I made a progress chart on the series of GPP. This kinda gives away whats coming next :P 

I also made a flag of everyone who has subscribed, a thank you to those who have:

Here's a roundup of my fav. pics from the GPP series so far

After Jeb and company returned from their scouting mission, it was time to land the first Kerbal Kolony on Duna:

PTYn3Vr.png

Making the braking burn:

gLIKsCA.png

Somewhat amazingly, this contraption was aerodynamically stable even without RCS:

Gqy0Fje.png

g9SnGI8.png

Even the largest parachute Gus could stitch together wasn't enough for the thin air of Duna, so it required both airbags and Septratron retro-rockets for a soft landing:

xJBb5gp.png

JYwhkE8.png

Starting the auto-deploy sequence and entering hibernation until Val can arrive with the first long-term crew. (A Kracken attack means they will have a bit more work than anticipated getting the rover deployed safely.) :

7kp9ljb.png

yGQyphr.png

epw5L42.png

KoS

More flying today, more failing.

This time, a plane descending on parachutes at 6 m/s completely disintegrated on contact with water. Plane touches water, game freezes for 0.2 seconds and both wings, both tailfins, all engines, all fuel tanks and all landing gear detonate with such force that the cockpit was sent flying for several dozen meters. Does having an insufficiently strong CPU cause krakens or something?

21 minutes ago, Fraktal said:

This time, a plane descending on parachutes at 6 m/s completely disintegrated on contact with water. Plane touches water, game freezes for 0.2 seconds and both wings, both tailfins, all engines, all fuel tanks and all landing gear detonate with such force that the cockpit was sent flying for several dozen meters. Does having an insufficiently strong CPU cause krakens or something?

If you have scatterer installed, it might be that water bug in scatterer, if you have water collision effects on then it can act like a magic trampoline and bounce stuff until it gets smashed to bits.

5 hours ago, Fraktal said:

If it is a big plane and you have made the part connections rigid, that is a possible cause. The unity engine doesn't like rigid on large craft. I reguarly use to have craft spontaneously blow up until I found this out and stopped making the connections rigid.

11 hours ago, Fraktal said:

I didn't make anything rigid and it's not a big plane. Only about 30 parts or so, all Mk1.

Well then that is one possibility ruled out. When I say big I mean large in area size, not number of parts, but since you have said Mk1 then I would guess none of the very large wings. Could be your design. Try one of the stock planes that come with the game. If it happens with them too then you have a deeper issue that may require reinstall with a clean copy purely vanilla with no mods, see if it happens then. If it doesn't then add any mods you use 1 at a time and test between each install till something goes boom or you have fixed the problem. REMEMBER TO MAKE A COPY OF YOUR SAVES FOLDER BEFORE REINSTALLING AND PUT IT SOMEWHERE ELSE, SO THAT YOU DON'T ACCIDENTALLY WIPE OUT ANY PROGRESS YOU HAVE MADE. ONCE SORTED JUST PUT A COPY BACK IN WHERE YOU FOUND IT AND YOU WILL BE ABLE TO CONTINUE FROM WHERE YOU WERE.

As far as I am aware, this is the first purpose built ,Kerbal sized, motorbike made for KSP (unless someone can direct me to something previous.) It is very stable, easy to control with an analogue joypad,(also with the keyboard if you remember to tap rather than hold the key to accelerate, holding is generally defaulted to the pitch control, and you will start to try to roll forward.) has a top flatout speed of around 51 m/s (180ish km per hour), can get serious air off jumps and land easily if actively controlled. It just needs SAS on and it will stay upright (also built in to the bike so that if you do throw your kerbal you can get the bike back to them.)

So, should I release it as it's own mod, or wait till the next time I update Mini Moke Versatile?

ToyL1U4.pngg3TqPDi.pngD1hZCGz.png

Edited by ColdJ

Forgot to mention. When I was flying the aforementioned plane, at one point I wasn't paying attention to my altitude and the landing gear ended up making ground contact for a split second.

Vertical contact at 5 m/s destroyed the landing gear.

Horizontal contact at slightly over 250 m/s didn't - but when I was previously taking off at around 100 m/s, the landing gear exploded at the end of the runway when I nosed up.

I'm curious. Are landing gear coded to automatically self-destruct if the wheel gets fully depressed, regardless of actual impact velocity?

1.PNG2.PNG

Alien21 Space Agency Report! Mission "Looking For Aliens" was successfully launched with a Ballistic trajectory to Duna. Still evaluating however the landing zone. Is recommended a Equatorial Landing or a Polar Landing as currently predicted? Feel free to give me your opinion about the potential target! The window launch for the most optimal flight is still not arrived, I had launched this rover previously than planned window.

9 hours ago, Fraktal said:

I'm curious. Are landing gear coded to automatically self-destruct if the wheel gets fully depressed, regardless of actual impact velocity?

That is possible. I know I have had them explode from too much weight pressing down on them. I had used ballast to sink me quickly to the bottom of the harbour and the first time I forgot to neutralise buoyancy before touching down they collapsed under the weight.

I got the motorbikes the way I wanted. Blue bike can redock on it's right node and Red bike on it's left. Reverse for the side cars. A red and blue bike can dock together. I haven't worked out a stand for the side cars as yet so if you undock in the world it would be hard to reattach at the moment. Sometimes after undocking the roll control can become a bit sensitive, Game quirk I have no idea how to change. But they are very fun. I guess when I get the stand worked out I can release it as a stand alone. Is anybody out there still interested in having a motorbike in KSP?

L2V3Fko.pngqANZta6.pngMvm5YSk.pngIWZDbnP.pnghPdl6Te.png

Put the finishing touches on my Gilly mining rovers- making fuel with Kerbalism’s ISRU chains is much harder than the stock ore->fuel  system and takes a whole lot longer too.

WMY8EiP.png

4W67X06.png

Due to resource distribution two miners are required: the first one will dig up what little water can be found on Gilly and turn it into hydrogen, then liquefy it for ease of storage; the second will dig up ore, extract carbon from it (at a really terrible rate, I might add) then combine that with the hydrogen to make fuel, with some oxygen also available to make oxidiser. Two miners needed because there’s zero overlap between water and ore locations, water is only found in the highlands but ore only in the midlands.

Now the trick is getting them all the way down to Gilly, which currently orbits Moho, which currently orbits much closer to the sun than in the stock arrangement.

Create toggleable stands for sidecars that hold them level. Tick.

Inadvertently create a unicycle. Tick.

Inadvertently create a chariot with invisible horses. Tick.

Got to sleep, tidy up the folders and write a Readme that clearly states how the wheels must be turned so that they work, once on vehicles. ( Squad made it so all wheels come in rotated 90 degrees anticlockwise, not me.)

So should be available in 24 hours.

81xBudt.pngaojwney.pngx5Dp7sZ.pngOB4xRLM.pngtvwt6K3.pngJACLogK.png

4 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Create toggleable stands for sidecars that hold them level. Tick.

Inadvertently create a unicycle. Tick.

Inadvertently create a chariot with invisible horses. Tick.

I love how you are making them dockable parts. Question: Have you considered making a rack for them, or simply a radially attachable docking node that can be used to secure them in transport?

I want to see Jeb unloading a dirt bike on Duna and blasting across the Duna-dunes!

KoS

4 hours ago, Kerbals_of_Steel said:

I love how you are making them dockable parts. Question: Have you considered making a rack for them, or simply a radially attachable docking node that can be used to secure them in transport?

I want to see Jeb unloading a dirt bike on Duna and blasting across the Duna-dunes!

KoS

I have released micro docking ports before in 2 of my mods, Working Underwater Lite and I think Beyond 1999. But I will make 1 the right size to match the node and include it.

Ok, the motorbikes are up on Spacedock. Please read everything so that you have fun rather than puzzlement when you use them. The very first time you put a sidecar out in the world, please extend and retract the stands twice. It is some game quirk, they are fine from then on. Enjoy.

https://spacedock.info/mod/2881/Kerbal Motorbikes

PetjCXj.pngnx4CcAs.png

2 minutes ago, Kapitalizing Every Word said:

Those are the kind of moments that make me wish the snarkiverse series had visual mods

On one hand, I agree, but on the other hand, does it really need it? I started without them due to dead GPU and adding them in half way through would just look too out of place, plus I doubt there'd be much difference on Duna with something like AVP or Spectra added.