What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I fired up ksp, and after 20 minutes loading with less mods than usual, it struggled to run... Yup, I think I broke my laptop, shouldn't have left it charging for months on end... :( ;.; At least it runs, and I managed to build one of the ships from my story I'm writing:

Spoiler

The Red Arrow, a racing ship turned warship: (I forgot to add radiators, but otherwise it's accurate to the story)

7sxC6wo.png

5CJlzD4.png

aN0XbTH.png

qpEQgHQ.png

The eldest and I spent the last couple of days building a fighter plane for Scott Manley's Runway Project. Quite a different experience for me, a seasoned spaceplane veteran, to build a plane with the exact opposite characteristics of what makes for a good SSTO plane. Plane itself was a decent enough design but I'm pretty sure BD Armory's AI doesn't like me very much. The fact that it had to be armed with an Abrams tank turret also threw me off a bit.

Second half of the challenge is artwork; I might post whatever the boy and I come up with here in a few days after we've submitted our entry. I wish I had screenies of the plane itself to share with y'all.

Due to a miscalculation in the engineering department, the apparently daunting task of producing half a million units of liquid fuel via Kerbalism's notoriously difficult ISRU processes has shrunk to a more reasonable 60,000 units; still a challenge, but with a big new power supply on its way and the fuel tanker now on site things are looking up.

There's an old nuclear booster lying around somewhere with a dribble of fuel left, maybe I can put that to use somehow; after all, Gilly's gravity is so weak it can fly on RCS alone.

After grinding out the tech tree, I've kicked back and been developing a Virgin Galactic Inspired tourist plane named APR Starlight-Ascension (the carrier is the SPR Flame Bat)

Spoiler

20211027215722_1.jpg

20211027220257_1.jpg?width=832&height=4620211027220259_1.jpg?width=832&height=4620211027211134_1.jpg?width=832&height=46

I am going to build a better carrier plane, it tops out at 300 m/s at 8,000 meters with the space plane. I don't care for how it 'sits' on top of Starlight, so I'm going to add two Mk2 fuselages on the wings, slap more engines on that+bigger wings. Starlight does have two junos, but the thrust is so measly  to the point that it is only capable of a powered glide.  

so, I need to add more junos, extend the carrier and unlock the external command seat.

I designed the plane to be inherently stable, so it's really just 'fire and forget'. I want to be able to have some kerbals in the back and float 'em around in micro-gravity. 

Edited by Lewie

More like "this week"

My first KK static
Bjeewpo.jpeg
(ignore the Kerbinside Kampus I attached it to)
EDIT: After warping to sunset, I confirmed that the window glow animation works
UcP1vR7.jpeg

And continuing with the "not exactly following the thread title" thing, here's a replica of the stock XL Nissen huts with some bits changed:
vgfRyuT.png

Edited by OrdinaryKerman

Made some modifications to the KSS Hampton, a craft I used to capture a class D asteroid to build a space station around. Namely, I replaced the claws with a docking port so I could attach a crew module to the front of it. I will use the Hampton to retrieve the crew of my Tylo rover once its mission is complete. I’m currently working on a mission report in this thread: 

4KxsO6L.jpg

oDuYGO9.jpg

UOF48at.jpg
I also refueled it so it would have enough dV to complete its mission.

Atihn3f.jpg

Edited by Jack Joseph Kerman

vtbJyKM.png

7WcjzG7.png

I haven't seen a lot of mk2 fighter planes recently, so I decided to build my own: Behold the Indivisible series. This particular model has a missile launcher mounted on top to make quick work of surface Anti-Aircraft Artillery and slow lumbering bombers.  It flies remarkably well despite the missile emplacement.

I9SUBA4.png

So I put it up against another fighter jet I designed (inspired by the F-16), the G4B. The G4B mostly evaded the missiles due to it's counter-measures but the Indivisable's guns made quick work of the G4.

I put on hold my main mission to start an elcano on OPM Slate. Slate would be a beautiful planet, if it wasn't so hard to drive on it.

For this I created a new rover. It was meant to be showy, good in mountain terrain, and fun to drive. due to its gaudy aspect, i called it Tamarromobile (which roughly translates as pimpmobile)

Z8Qlc1w.png.png

1ptjQnW.png

that cupola on top is mounted on a rotating servo, so that i can set it on continuous rotation with a KAL controller and enjoy a 360° panorama.

To make it challenging, i decided i would send the rover in a real mission, and I would try to do it with a single launch. I launched bigger ships before, but i never had such a ridiculously oversized payload fairing. it weighted 50 tons alone

qEEvQ9q.png

but it was spectacular when it was activated

DXQT486.png

cjk18CX.png

From right to left: the last stage of the launcher, which still has a few hundred m/s left. then the cruise stage, with enough fuel to reach slate after a jool gravity assist. then there is a Mk3 crew cabin, that's the reentry capsule; together with the hitchhicker container next to it they make up the return module. there's also a couple of large antennas with probe cores, those are relay satellites to be deployed around. then there is the ascent vehicle, to carry the crew from the surface back to the return module. and finally the rover proper, with its sky crane.

nJk1Juk.png

the sky crane was unconventional, because the cupola is blocking its normal binding point at the rover's center of mass. so i had to use two sky cranes equidistant from the center of mass, and I had to make them asymmetric.

This in turn prevented them to just fly upward, so I had to devise the peculiar way to remove it shown in the picture. Before removing the other sky crane, i have to rotate the cupola out of the way.

one of the sky cranes broke an rtg in the process.

This is a bit minor, but I did my first ever solar orbit rendezvous today!

I've been playing since 2013 and somehow I haven't needed to until today.

NMtqLEJ.png

So I started a new science mode recently and on the top is the IMS-01 Intrepid, which is a seven module interplanetary mothership going to land on Duna. I took three crew from a station to it in a small spaceplane. The pilot went over, and I took the engineer next to connect the struts. However I got so caught up doing the struts that I forgot to take the scientist over! The ship was about a week away from Kerbin before I noticed that I couldn't reset my science experiments, so I launched Bob on board a large high Delta-V rocket called SOAR (bottom) and managed to catch up to the ship within a few days, with enough fuel left over to probably do the entire trip over again.

On 10/27/2021 at 8:15 AM, Hyperspace Industries said:

Yup, I think I broke my laptop, shouldn't have left it charging for months on end... :( ;.;

*Nervous sweating

5 hours ago, annanikolson said:

Today I just joined you. Today will be my first launch, so wish me luck :)

Welcome to the forums

Guest The Doodling Astronaut
6 hours ago, annanikolson said:

Today I just joined you. Today will be my first launch, so wish me luck :)

It will be a brutal but hopefully an enjoyable first several missions, but those (IMO,) are the best ones from a learning standpoint.

Edited by The Doodling Astronaut
grammer correction

I tried doing a "hard" career today.
It took me 5 attempts and I'll have to start a 6th time because the very basic rockets I haven't built for years are not aerodynamically doing what I want them to (the Hammer seems to have slightly weird physics)!