What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Had an odd glitch during a bit of EVA construction- an entire ship, made mostly of 5m fuel tanks, began shadowing engineer Herman's movements, always staying at a fixed distance from him while he jetted around. As soon as he boarded his spacecraft the effect broke and the big tanker decided to hurl itself bodily at the ship, resulting in FIERY EXPLOSIONS!!! (though fortunately only the tanker was exploding, not the ship itself) and the remnants of the tanker flying off at a strange angle and spinning uncontrollably.

It happened again later, but this time Herman was trying furiously to chase after his own spacecraft which somehow stayed tantalisingly out of reach. F5/F9 fixed it in that instance, but this is a new one on me.

5 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

I've had lots of explosions in EVA construction but never this. Are you on 1.12.2? 1.11 was really bad.

1.12.2, and I have a suspicion that the OX-10L solar panel is involved as Herman was grabbing hold of one of those on both occasions (incidentally, the exact same solar panel) and it was acting a bit funny too.

It's been awhile, the burnout from work is strong with this one, but I've finally managed to do something this week that I've wanted for a long time:

IkLZLbZ.png

That's fifteen parts total, including the probe core. Obviously it will be more if I include lights and such, but 15 is a pretty good part count for a basic shipyard. :)

14 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

It's been awhile, the burnout from work is strong with this one, but I've finally managed to do something this week that I've wanted for a long time:

IkLZLbZ.png

That's fifteen parts total, including the probe core. Obviously it will be more if I include lights and such, but 15 is a pretty good part count for a basic shipyard. :)

What mod is this?

1.PNG2.PNG

Hello Kerbalfans! So because I had already lanched some probes and rovers to Duna, Dres and Eve, is time to work now with my space station. I had undocked my capsule to allow the connection of new module "Kirs" (name not casual), and then reconnect the capsule. In this way Alien21 Space Station will be capable to host at least 5 capsules. And due to necessity of supplies, I lanuched to the station a Krogress with some science packs and new solar arrays!

1 hour ago, Aerodynamic Kerbal said:

Aight, so Im planning on making the Cassini-Huygens probe, also last time I made the Vostok K. Nothing else.

Regarding Cassini-Huygens, I'm really surprised that on KSP1 they haven't insert a KSP version of Saturn. I know that Iupiter is the biggest and we have jool, but come on! Saturnus is SOO amazing and so unique for his rings! Really hope to see something of similar on KSP2! Oh yes I forgot....they had already plan something about! Gurdamma! :cool:

Was running low on experienced Kerbals (most of them being taken in other missions) so I decided to train a batch of 11 new recruits by landing them on the Mun and then on Minmus. They dropped some ground science equipment on the mun, planted a flag, and went on their way. They made it to the refueling station on the surface of Minmus with less than a 100m/s of dV left (I could have been much more efficient but I got lazy). While they're there, I've had them jump around and collect the remaining science from all the biomes in triplicate (got two active labs, and the third set for recovery). They also brought some KAS & KIS materiel with them (the extractor stack has a habit of bouncing a little bit too much on loading, so it got some extra legs). A bit of everything, some cleaning up, and so on.

I've got three other missions ongoing (two quad-tourists contracts, both centered on Eve), and another exploration team set for Duna. Everyone is waiting for their transfer window, though the Duna mission is also a testbed for some Far Future Tech stuff. Their ship has about 16k dV so I'm not too worried. 

Oh, and I also tried to make a groundside observatory with a telescope from Tarsier Space Technology but I found out they can't be used when on the ground. Bummer. Took some nice picture of Jool and even got Tylo from the surface of Kerbin.

2 hours ago, Alien21 said:

Regarding Cassini-Huygens, I'm really surprised that on KSP1 they haven't insert a KSP version of Saturn. I know that Iupiter is the biggest and we have jool, but come on! Saturnus is SOO amazing and so unique for his rings! Really hope to see something of similar on KSP2! Oh yes I forgot....they had already plan something about! Gurdamma! :cool:

Yeah but in stock ksp we have Laythe, which is supposed to be Titan, so you can land Huygens there

2 hours ago, Axelord FTW said:

I've got three other missions ongoing (two quad-tourists contracts, both centered on Eve)

Jonbon would like to visit the surface of Eve and return - reward: 120k.  Jordorf wants to do a fly by of Duna and return - reward: 120k........ :confused:

I so wish the contracts were scaled according to actual difficulty - Eve tourist landing payouts should be like 10x all others, with Moho landings 4x all others.

Meanwhile, I spent the day cursing at the screen after trying to do a zero-fatality playthrough and losing both Jeb and Valentina on the first moon flyby mission; it feels so unfair how short of grinding 5k-reward missions on Kerbin for a day straight, you won't have the cash for the L2 tracking station patched conics, making flybys a crapshoot - I was especially careful to always pad vessels with numerous safety features, but that mission comes down to a dice roll as to if you get a suicidal approach once you enter the moon SOI.

Yes, if one were so inclined, they could could calculate a precise intercept by hand, but the precision would be quickly lost to the lack of fine controls in that point of the game. :mad:

A bit of a grind today, but landings on Vall, Tylo and Eeloo all completed- just need to get the crew home again, transfer window in a year. They also received the care package that was launched well outside the normal transfer window out to Jool but which contained vital supplies to keep the crew alive until they got back home.

Now all I need to do is find a comet, somehow, which is proving difficult as they don't seem to be spawning at all. Unclear if Kerbalism, Snarkiverse or something else is causing it but I'll need at least one to complete the series.

9 hours ago, panzerknack said:

I so wish the contracts were scaled according to actual difficulty - Eve tourist landing payouts should be like 10x all others, with Moho landings 4x all others.

Contracts can scale weirdly, especially with some mods. I got a contract the other day to test one of the later FFT engines at a low altutude and speed on kerbin for 3 million kosh.

Today, I flew from Kerbin to Dres and back.  This isn't a really major accomplishment, except I did it in a singular launch.  And I also used docking ports.

Why is this important?  I've never gone interplanetary before, and I've never used docking ports before.  But I did as part of the Kerpollo challenge, and these are firsts for me.  A link to the Mission Report showing all the details:

Edited by Scarecrow71

I will face my torque. I will permit it to pass over me and through me...

82h4SPk.jpg

Inspired by @DV-13's creation, ULL-2 Ladybug is basically just a lander with wheels. It's probably one of the simpler designs, but incredibly useful. It can land wherever and then drive to a base, a mining facility, an anomaly, another biome, a more favorable ascent starting point - you name it, the Ladybug's got you covered. 

This cute little thing packs 2200 m/s of dV, which sort of makes it Duna-capable, but it was designed to land and drive on lighter bodies. The low CoM and relatively high overall mass lend themselves nicely to making the Ladybug an exploration craft for low-g environments.

An interesting avenue to explore would be making it able to survive a reentry to Kerbin. One idea I might have is a heat-resistant hat...