What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

This took a while to work out... 

Now knowing that Thor Tech adjusts aerospikes to be more efficient, I got rid of that particular patch and instead tried to build a viable spaceplane using JNSQ's supplied/approved Javelin engines. Went through... about 6 versions that didn't go to space, ranging between 4-5 Javelins and 4-8 nervas. Eventually found success with even moar tweakscale. Upping the LV-Ns to 1.875m turned out to be the happy place. The wings are also something like 140%, giving them more lift and fuel capacity.

Hotwings 3JS dusts off around 130m/s, and the oversized rapiers again deliver a good heavy kick on the way up, ignoring the mach barrier completely and passing 10km well above mach 3. Adding the nervas around 12km allows the Javelins to kick in past 20, swooshing the whole thing up to about 2800m/s at 40km. 

bKpdlMa.jpg

It is... a tight ascent. The vertical velocity very nearly falls to zero around 50km, but Hotwings just barely gets through it as the periapsis stops being so very negative and the long, long ascent resumes. It takes blooming ages to get this thing to space; but it does reliably get there. Pointing to around 10 degrees all the way works well, although nosing down once atmospherically-orbital is advised. 

The biggest issue on descent is overshoot; it is hard to get this low-drag, heavy thing to come down from mach 12, and I think I ended up setting the impact point several hundred kilometres west of KSC - and even then, a hard dive was needed at the end. Fortunately you can get away with all kinds of nonsense at 3km in stock atmo :joy:

As usual, descent exclusively works with reduced re-entry heating. In fact I suspect it won't survive the ascent either, at full thermals. Respectfully, I don't care :D  I wasn't very pleased with re-entry heating when it was first added to stock way back when, and I still don't feel like it adds anything to (my personal) gameplay. I know it's realism, but I honestly prefer just being able to drop a brick back to Kerbin and have it survive.

Side note: I did also try using a 2.5m scaled version of the unbuffed aerospike; it still flies, but the margins are the narrowest of all three builds. Still, it does look quite pretty with a big ol' bee stinger on the back!

Edited by eddiew

I mean, coming from a guy called SSTO Crasher allow me to DOUBT (X) real hard. But seriously, I'm guessing he isn't using Steam either, because its screen capture feature would work without problem. Otherwise, there are dozen of free, unobtrusive, and light programs that can take da screenies.

In other news, say hello to Silap Inua, a Joolian anti-matter harvester. I decided to put that Pulse Fission Engine I got laying around the Kerbin system to good use. I think it is very aptly named. It's still got over 60,000m/s of dV when all constructed. Right after that was done, I got a very lucrative contract, which was EZMONÉ. Recovered it, of course.

8rEuMiU.jpg
Ya5s3Zg.jpg
XkXmBlo.jpg

EDIT: I'm wondering if it's worth attaching Deuterium and LH2 tanks on the Silap Inua. LH2 is everywhere, and Deuterium is cheap to launch from Kerbin; the biggest tank costs 10k, and can hold 10k worth of deuterium. Helium-3 (its counterpart for fusion) costs 1,894,000 to fill the same cannister type. It might be worth doing it for accessibility, but if I gotta head back to the Kerbin system anyway to pick up He3, why would I bother? It's either two tanks of LH2 and two tanks of Deuterium, or four tanks of LH2. Thinking the latter might be better.

Edited by Axelord FTW

Well, using LH2/Ox engines are RCS is quite practical, I must say: https://i.imgur.com/RZLfGfv.mp4
A 161 ton ship can do a 180 degree turn in 20 seconds, which is actually much better than many of my stouter crafts. I just unlocked the Fresnel engines from FFT and it's kind of a beast. Even with a single 'tick' of He3 in the tank, it has got over 10,000m/s of dV. Upward of 100,000 when it will be fully loaded. Effectively blew the whole 4 million from the previous contract putting this into space. Real pain, and it couldn't be done with a classic ascent profile, because any angle of attack over 5 degrees would have sent it tumbling.
It'll probably be the main engine stack used to explore the Outer Planets until I can harvest enough antimatter to fuel the final-tier engines. Still need to think of a good name for it.

EDIT: The Onion just transferred 61,000 units of He3 to the new craft, bring its own dV from 12,000 to 90,000. It will take three whole trips before the craft is filled with He3, while I will do, but it's actually so unnecessary at this point it's kinda funny.

2 hours ago, SSTO Crasher said:

Also how do I covert an iPhone photo to an image on the forums because I did take a photo with my camera and the edited it so my face is not reflected

Pretty sure you don't need to convert to anything. Just find a third-party hosting site for the picture, upload what you have there, and include a direct-link to the image in a post.

Edited by Axelord FTW

1 hour ago, Krazy1 said:

Neat folding wheels. Are you sure you have big enough solar panels for Duna? Only 43% of Kerbin's intensity. Maybe use the new panels in 1.12?

I also have an RTG in the 1.25m service bay that I didn't show in the screenshots. The electric charge capacity of the rover is around 4,000 units, which should allow me to drive a good distance between recharging stops. I would add fuel cells, but that would mean also having to haul a bunch of fuel around with me, meaning that the rover would be quite a bit heavier, which isn't ideal considering I want to deliver it by SSTO.

If I can't find an Olivine formation by the end of today, I'm going to change my About me: To "Searching for an olivine formation"

Story so far

iZI37tH.png

Another piece of sandstone.

sYm5gFR.png

Yet another.

oEYM2sC.png

Now I say goodnight.

I shall resume my search tomorrow.

Spoiler

Album

https://imgur.com/a/TGCmXgj

(Not much of one though)

Edited by Admiral Fluffy
I can't spell "piece"

I started working on an SSTO that can deliver my new rover to Duna and then fly the crew back home. I decided to do a test flight by flying it to low Munar orbit and back to test its capabilities, as well as find flaws in the design that I could fix before taking it to Duna. There were a few issues that came up, but the most glaring of these was that I included way more oxidizer than I actually needed to bring. In fact, I think I had about 3,700 units remaining by the time I made orbit, which severely reduced my overall delta-V and thrust-to-weight ratio. On this test flight was acclaimed veteran Kerbonaut Germund Kerman, who served as commander of the Odyssey mission, my mission to circumnavigate Tylo. Also on board were three candidate crewmembers for the actual Duna mission, Milmy Kerman, Jebwig Kerman, and a third whose name I don't remember because they weren't in any screenshots. 

3g6Yigq.jpg

6l2r4zJ.jpg

Once orbit was achieved, it was time to burn for the Mun. This burn had to be split up into three separate periapsis passes in order to be more efficient, as the craft's TWR is so low, around 0.2.

VvYWrPh.jpg

I then parked it into a low Munar orbit without difficulty.

ISuwgTe.jpg

A few orbits around the Mun later, it was time to return to Kerbin. During the first re-entry pass, however, I came in a little too steep and consequently the front nose cone and a bunch of RCS thrusters were destroyed by the heat.

Spoiler

4C96jmZ.jpg

During the second and final re-entry, issues with the craft's center of mass and aerodynamic profile were also discovered. While this SSTO flies quite well fully-fuelled, when it its almost out of fuel it becomes very back-heavy, thanks to all of the engines and fuel tanks situated towards the back. As such, this caused it to enter a spin and become uncontrollable. I then transferred almost all of the remaining fuel to the front tanks in an attempt to stabilize it, which helped, and I was able to fully regain control once I slowed below about 500 m/s.

Spoiler

oiAXsqy.jpg

The craft does not have good pitching abilities, however, and pitching up the nose for landing was very difficult. I tried to land it on an upward slope and deploy the chutes to slow down, but I overshot, resulting in the parachutes being deployed in mid-air and the SSTO crashing nose-first, sending the cockpit flying away from the ensuing explosions.

Spoiler

y3quXjP.jpg

After the dust had settled and the smoke had cleared, Germund Kerman then investigated the wreckage.

Spoiler

F8NNA9N.jpg

So, that test flight gave me a good idea of what I need to change/fix:

- Reduce Oxidizer by 3000

- Add SAS modules for higher maneuverability

- Adjust fuel flow so back tanks empty first, move center of mass forward

- Add larger canards to the nose end for better pitching

I also tested the rover deployment system while I was at it. I decided not to use a cargo ramp because that would require me to build a second vehicle to push the rover out of the cargo bay, since its wheels couldn't be unfolded in the cargo bay. Instead, I would just drop the rover straight out of the cargo bay, and the wheels would easily cushion the impact with the ground. Here's the rover in the cargo bay prior to deployment:

Spoiler

6z5MJsn.jpg

The rover was then dropped gently onto its wheels, which cushioned the impact of the fall. The wheels were then unfolded, and, after some difficulties getting it out from under the SSTO and having to do a 24-point turn to do so, the rover was able to drive around the KSC.

Spoiler

FMpCz5V.jpg

Hadn't played KSP in a several months (gasp) because sacrifices must be made when doing grad school.

Now that I'm on Thanksgiving break, I took the opportunity to boot up KSP, and just built a little jet to do some flying around in IVA.  Had a blast.

6qMuWuz.png

Of course it wouldn't be a KSP without some kraken shenanigans.  I decided to do some hotdog piloting, but was a bit too cautious on my first flight under the bridge.  Stalled and clipped a wing on the ground.  Survived, but the plane seemed to keep spinning on the ground, despite the engines being shut off.  Got out and watched as the plane continue to perform pirouettes and cartwheels, jumping into the air at times.  

pq6uYTA.png

Relaunched and did a proper flight, including a flight under the bridge, despite Discord trying to distract me.  (Note the weird screenshot dimensions are because I recorded it as a vid and then cropped them out from the player lol)

p207bOg.png

jtCjZ6G.png

xHGqrIE.png

XMLcgkP.png

I taxied the aircraft around the R&D buildings, and it seems it might be possible to squeeze a flight through the tiny tunnel thing.  Not sure I'm gonna go for it though.  I have other things to do

Now to get back to the RO shuttle Entry-Descent-and-Landing script that I never finished during the summer.  I've probably got like 65% of the code there.  I just need to make some kind of deorbit burn planner, put all the parts together, and test it.  Although now that I say "just" I know it's going to be the hardest part lol.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

22 hours ago, Admiral Fluffy said:

If I can't find an Olivine formation by the end of today, I'm going to change my About me: To "Searching for an olivine formation"

Story so far

iZI37tH.png

Another piece of sandstone.

sYm5gFR.png

Yet another.

oEYM2sC.png

Now I say goodnight.

I shall resume my search tomorrow.

Reveal hidden contents

Album

https://imgur.com/a/TGCmXgj

(Not much of one though)

THIS TIME ON SEARCHING FOR A OLIVINE FORMATION

bFGF4in.png

Target Acquired.

kVN82gH.png

Getting Closer

JrUs6eo.png

Closer....

Zy9aKQM.png

Did it!

Scanning too.

E5ZHQXV.png

Bit close there.

Rover with Formation.

QC8B5Fd.png

Now back to normal.

Spoiler

Edited by Admiral Fluffy
stupid underlines

Lets see...

Two easy scan contracts for Tarsier: data from the runway and data from the island airfield with the rovercam. EZPZ. My unlimited-range Albatros was able to handle the task splendidly. I mean, it's not a lot of money, I'd need to repeat those two contracts FORTY times to cover the cost of ONE filled-up He3 tank, but it was fun.
Second trip to the Wōden (the Fresnel-driven propulsion stack) in Munar orbit with The Onion to deliver some more Helium-3. At this point, it has over 170,000m/s of dV. I could do a third trip to fill up its He3 tanks but I think that's kinda pointless. The thing in and of itself has about as much dV as all my other fielded vehicles combined... 
Took some Duna contracts, which includes some ground science, and started designing a mission. Decided to ditch the contra-rotating propeller-driven ground hopper design and go full Methane/Ox lander. Again, the Buzzard engines are the prime choice. Included a small drill and refinery to increase reach once on the ground. Put the lander in LKO, and had it do a shakedown mission on the Mun.  All is well so far, except I forgot to add an extra radiator panel for the refinery. Thankfully, the loop for the drill can accommodate the refinery with a small loss in efficiency (drill operate at slightly lower temperatures). As for the transfer vehicle, the Wōden is kind of the perfect choice, other than the fact that it is majorly overpowered for such a small round-trip. Guess I can consider that its shakedown mission. Still need to think of a name for the Duna lander. Not cool enough to hold a godly title, but I feel like it deserves something nice. Other than the lack of He3 tanks, the Lander is almost a copy of The Onion, really.

Here is the lander, with a short in-passing module being delivered (lots of ScanSat stuff) to the Wōden. Funny thing is that when I took that screenshot I realized I'd forgotten to turn on one of the radiators for the Fresnel engine. Got that sorted out.
x6mntfi.jpg

EDIT: After some big-brain number crunching, I decided that the Lycaon (High Energy Facility) on Minmus wasn't cutting it. The chokepoint is its single Whirlijig Nuclear Processor, it simply cannot make enough Enriched Uranium in any sort of sensible timescale. The Minmus HEF also only has two big-boy drills on it, which would become the new chokepoint if I just added more Whirlijigs. It's also got very little in the way of storage capacity for the fuels it can make (though the Titanomachus has more than plenty, on demand).

I will keep the Lycaon running, but I decided to start another, concurrent operation on the Mun. From everything I've learned so far, I believe this new installation will be a better producer. Considering how successful the He3 operation is on the Mun, I have high hopes. With a (small) contract backing me up for the creation of a new ground base on the Mun, I have launched, flung, dropped, and landed Grannus, the grey world's own High Energy Facility. For now, it only has a pilot on board, and I made damn well sure it had enough fuel to hover for a few minutes to find a good, flat spot. All things considered, it cost me about 3.5 million kosh to place it there. Three Whirlijigs, four big drills, one smelter, and a good amount of holding capacity for the exotic fuels it can produce. Next step is to bring in an experience Engineer to live there. Forever. Incidentally, Grannus was landed only 15 km east of the Duna Lander, and while I was landing I spotted a very nice arch about 20km north of the landing site. Might be worth checking out, when I bring over the Engineer.
ycXYxn6.jpg

Edited by Axelord FTW

Today I learnt:

• Saturn’s moon Titan has a lower orbital velocity than stock Laythe despite being many times larger (the ~1/4 gravity compared to Laythe probably helps) and a more favourable atmosphere for aerobraking.
  • It’s entirely possible to just yeet a small probe into Titan’s atmosphere from a pretty elliptical orbit without needing any form of heat shielding or aeroshell as the re-entry heating is essentially non-existent.
  • A fuel tanker I originally made to carry fuel out to the Moon to keep my reusable Moon landers running turns out to be a rather good interplanetary probe chassis (once the fuel tank is removed of course!) with plenty of space to mount antennae, solar panels/RTGs and a mission payload- like a cluster of eight landers and four relays to science the, uh, science(?), out of Titan.

Duna Explorer, a 'legacy' mission from since before I started naming things more colorfully, recently arrived back to Kerbin, delivering LOADSE data for the two orbital science labs along with a very experienced crew. Bill Kerman,  leveled up to 4, which means he was now ready for permanent posting. 'While' that was happening, I sent a very small refueling craft from the surface of Kerbin to fill up the propulsion stack that the Duna Explorer used to and fro their mission. 4000 units of Lithium, 250 of Deuterium, and 1000 of Helium-3 is effectively all the stack used for the round trip.  That done, the small tanker still had 900m/s of dV left, so I sent it on an impact course with the Mun. As it were, I hadn't collected impact data from it yet, and the Duna Lander (now named Caspario) was still on the surface. I had the crew pull out their junk and set up all the necessary bits to get data from the upcoming impact. That went perfectly, and I got a 35% of the available science for it.

NthM59J.jpg

Cool.

Now was the time to deliver a competent engineer to Grannus, the Mun's HEF. Bill didn't have much time to enjoy his estranged wife and kids' problems as he was sent out  once again into the void. Perhaps having orbited over the red planet for so long had changed him for the better, however, as he'd now decided to take a plume out of Jeb's hat and do everything as if it were the last thing he was ever going to do. The VAB engineers were rather nonplussed at his specification for the lander, but went with it nonetheless. He was the veteran in the room, and whatever L4s wanted, they got (you know, except vacation time).

It's only so sad that vacuum is such a great noise insulator, else you could have heard the lander vibrating with 'Darude - Sandstorm' blasting from inside the cabin.

Today I launched a simple mission to launch a module carrying VENTURE's provisions. While nowhere near completion, VENTURE is close to being suitable for crew. All I have to do is wait until Minbus 14 is completed to bring crew over. I decided to use the opportunity to take my underused Fortitude-class SSTO.

3QkV47A.png

roHKtJ5.png

ka1sjK7.png

yScqkAj.png

I took a couple of nice screenshots along the way, but eventually I reached the Station. Now, actually moving the module into docking position is a tricky business. I don't have a robotic arm handy, unlike the real space shuttle, (the closest analog). Instead, I decoupled the module and allowed it to drift upwards, clearing the cargo bay. After that I rotated the SSTO upwards in such a way that the vessel did a 90 degree turn to line up with the module.

Enm5nHB.png

TNfIBgh.png

Eventually, as I approached the station I realised that clearance was going to be a problem. With large spaceplanes like these clearance is always a problem, but I found that from that particular docking port there was no way I could dock the spaceplane without either the cockpit hitting the truss or the wings smacking the solar panels. Instead of giving up and going home, I parked the spaceplane in front of the station.  I detached the module and thrusted it towards the station completely unguided.

yArTyD0.png

GSzTSRz.png

SntdKhR.png

Thankfully, the scheme worked. The unguided module actually managed to reach it's target.

rfJnMMR.png

Redocking the spaceplane at an appropriate angle, the crew relaxed for a while, taking the time for some R&R and station maintenance.

zK5wuKD.png

Eventually they left back to Kerbin. I took a couple of nice screenshots on the way back.

vxofxWS.png

yBWUILd.png

I've found that with this spaceplane 4 or 5 aerobraking maneuvers are needed to completely circularize the orbit, but today I decided to just burn off the remaining fuel to circularize after 1 or 2.

xJmv64t.png

pZ1iXqn.png

z7xnA2u.png

Edited by DunaManiac

My Moon base almost ran out of water, which is problematic as there are two crew aboard who need water to, you know, not die. Hitting some life support modules with a hammer made them work correctly again (stupid Kerbalism bug) but even with fuel cells and water recyclers running at full tilt they’re still going to run out pretty soon.

A resupply mission is being built with all possible haste, but in the meantime I have a few options:

Option A, evacuate the crew. I’d rather not resort to this, but they have a lander with which to return to orbit and that has some water on board. They could wait it out in the orbiting station until the resupply mission arrives, however that is heavily dependent on the station being in a position from which the lander can reach it- not so easy when the base is roughly equatorial but the station orbits at about 150 degrees inclination (in the plane of the Moon’s orbit around the Earth, only retrograde because free returns).

Option B, move the crew into the surface rover and do some exploring. Sounds great, except it’s dark and Bon Voyage is a bit iffy with Kerbalism fuel cells. It also doesn’t solve the problem of no water on the base, in fact it probably makes it worse as without the crew on board many power-hungry life support systems would turn off, reducing the load on the fuel cells and thus reducing water output.

Option C, steal water from the rover and put it in the base. The resupply missions I’m using are self-propelled rovers with a klaw on the front, one is currently grappled to the base but could be used to grab the rover and siphon water out of it, then return to the base. This would be enough to keep the crew not dead until the next supply mission, with even more water than the last one, arrives to replenish their supplies.

6YNm8DH.pngrnWo54t.png

I tried to put an Ekranoplan into orbit(with infinite fuel). Turns out it's not that difficult you just have to spend 25\30 minutes holding down s because auto sas can't hold the nose up.

And wow putting class g comets into lko isn't easy at all (thanks @Nerteafor FFP) but if u like to launch spaceplanes the views are so worth it

Oh sorry for the ui but I'm on Mac and f2 is a system shortcut to view all open tabs so I'm still trying to figure out how to hide it

Edited by Matteoksp

Let's say, Mission Control is currently in the middle of a crisis.  Here's the details so far. 

Two Kerbals, let's say Pete and Gordo, are in a 130 km orbit in a two Kerbal spacecraft, let's say Gemini.  The mission was plagued with minor failures  in the early hours, UHF antenna motor failure, Geiger counter failure.  Then at T+ 0:3:28:36 a serious mission ending failure, let's say, the lost of two retrofire solid rockets, occurred. Dang it.

Things at that stage weren't too bad for good old Pete and Gordo as their Gemini spacecraft was docked with a Gemini Target Vehicle, let's say Agena.  They had plenty of electrical power, O2, water and food. plus a big old rocket engine on the Agena. 

Mission Protocol called for an immediate reentry once the second retro rocket failed. Too many failures, too early on.  Time to do a deorbit burn,  undock, ride the dragon's breath, pop the chutes, splashdown and Bob's your uncle.  Well, Bob is their uncle, but that's a different story.

Only, the Flight Director, let's say was working  on the last of his second whiskey of the mission, messed up the Emergency Reentry Sequence and ordered the crew to undock first, and then use their OMS thrusters in the Adapter section.  Bye-bye big old Agena rocket engine. Hello little puff-puff's.

But there was a problem, let's say, not enough dV.  So Pete and Gordo are now in a 72 x 130 Km orbit. 

Ok, not great, but still survivable.  That fuel cell in the Adapter section was cranking out the buzz-buzz juice, still got plenty of O2, water and food.  All Mission Control had to to do was accelerate the prep of the next Gemini, launch it uncrewed, rendezvous with Pete and Gordo, EVA over and then bring them home.  Not a problem.

Except, remember that Flight Director?  Well due to the stress and let's say,  the beginning of his 3rd whisky,  remembered that the spacecraft had two good retrofire solid rocket motors.  Well, why not use them to bring Pete and Gordo home?! Let's say the Flight Director was hoping if he could pull this off, then maybe people, let's say the rest of the Astronaut Corps,  would forget that he caused the situation in the first place. 

The Flight Director punched off the Adapter, let's say, no more fuel cell, and fired the two remaining retrofire rockets. Whooze, fizz, thud-bang.  And the orbit was now ...71 x 130 km.  No joy. And dwindling electrical power.

Oh and that uncrewed rescue Gemini?  Well, it failed to achieve orbit due to a sudden under-thrust, let's say explosion, of it's second stage. 

So Pete and Gordo are on EVA, clinging to their crippled spacecraft, waiting rescue.  Why EVA?  Their suits give them 5 hours of life support and 2 hours of  all important electrical power.  Plus the view is spectacular.

The Flight Director has every confidence that by the time, let's say,  he finishes his third whiskey,  the Engineers in the VAB and GUIDO in the backroom will come up with something  that will work. If not, there will be, let's say, more whiskey at the Memorial Service.

Edited and split the original post in two, so as to not double-post and also keep things sensible.

Yesterday:

Spoiler

I unlocked and launched the biggest AM engine from FFT. At 110m long, I actually had to go and download the Hangar Extender Extended mod to even have a chance to build it but once that was done, it was relatively easy to get into orbit. The engine stack includes a fusion reactor, some deut/He3 tanks (no He3, but LqdDeut is light and cheap), LH2 tanks (all empty), and antimatter containment tanks (obviously empty). Also included is a dust scoop. This is more of a test than anything, and the cost was kept manageable. Really, the priciest bit was the fusion reactor, which ate about half the allotted budget. Having learned from the last time launching such a Long Boi, I included a LOT of Vernors on the protective nose-cone part, along with plenty of fuel to spare there. This could actually fly and respond to command during ascent. The huge wings at the bottom helped a lot too.
T1vnRIr.jpg
XqEBj3c.jpg
n6noz5m.jpg

That done, I detached the protective nosecone and deorbited it. The core actually survived the final lithobrake maneuver.
Lh5ub3C.jpg
TVC9B3g.jpg

After some testing in space, I realized the nuke-powered RCS pods on the Frisbee engine weren't cutting it. Sent a mission up to remove them and install better (i.e. more powerful) chemical rocket pods instead. After having bonked the original pods off, I installed some linear docking ports and and placed the new RCS thrusters on.
69XzWeF.jpg
AMu6Pdo.jpg

It wouldn't have done well to leave six small nuclear engines in space, so I caught one pod with the grabbing unit on the ship, and lassoed the other. Deorbit went without a hitch. The LH2 tanks didn't like the reentry bit but I believe the engine cores stayed in one piece before slamming whole into the ground, where they could be 'safely' recovered.

MRFwOj0.jpg
kt0B8OX.jpg

Today:

Spoiler

Decided to download my first interstellar planet pack, and settled on Event Horizon, with wormholes disabled. I mean, not active. I didn't break their legs or anything. All that said and done, I now needed a way to procure more than just resources in situ. I now also needed a way to create parts whole, and settled on Extraplanetary Launchpads. Initial testing went well enough, and I unkinked the shame out of the kinks. A few launches, this and that got done. Probably my favorite 'part' in function in EL would be the recycler. I was expecting the thing to just eat crafts wholesale but instead seems to chomp it apart, only taking the parts near enough the inlet and letting everything else around it fall apart. The range of the 'bite' is a bit inconsistent too, and it's definitely not calculated as a sphere. Lost two small RCS tugs to this so far. Other than that, the only drawback of EL are the models. Notwithstanding the incredible work that went in the mod, the visual are really not quite there yet.

What has been done concretely so far was to send a surface factory to the Mun, and then an orbital shipyard to the old 'Mun Station' that has been orbiting the small world for the last 5 in-game years. It was essentially defunct by the time I put it there, and other things required my attention. Both missions went well, but they are also both criminally understaffed. Once again, I'll have to do a training mission to bring a dozen Kerbals to L3, but this time I'll have to make most of them Engineers, and only pick the not-stupid ones.

Not pictured under, the additional radiator panel and large ore drills I've produced and installed on-site. I also wish the EL used something like SystemHeat, as I've definitely seen the light. Stock heating system is poo. The keen-eyed might have spotted something in the distance. That's just the rocket-crane part coming back down after being led out to pasture.
1L3hfqB.jpg

Not pictured: The dozen or so debris created from using the recycler.
1zICmUq.jpg

Edited by Axelord FTW