What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Haven't made an airport in a while.  I have had a site marked out at "Netherania" for some time.  Finally decided to plant it and this one came together in a rush...

U136MBV.png      bekYdLh.png

PAza3hR.png

It's called Netherania because it's approximately at the exact other side of Kerbin from the KSC.  Which makes it particularly important for test flights for new aircraft under development.

Edited by Hotel26

2 hours ago, Hyperspace Industries said:

I didn't exactly play ksp, but I finally installed far future tech, I've been putting it off due to wanting to keep my install in the near future, but I thought, "Nah, this ain't realism overhaul, let's dump the entire atomic rockets website on this."

NOW WE ARE TALKING!

You can get even more ridiculous, and make a Nuclear Salt Water SSTO, i did and, O H   M Y    K R A K E N, it's good

Try launching the bigger engines in their longest configurations from the ground. That's fun!

Spoiler

XqEBj3c.jpg
AMu6Pdo.jpg

The Frisbee in particular was a real joy to put in orbit. I even attached a few regular methane/ox engines near the nozzle to work as RCS clusters.
I've since gotten into Planetary Launchpads to make launching such vessels more practical.

Sent Jeb and Company to the Mun:

oBfxYQA.png

6I8e7L1.png

The mission design included an uncrewed orbital section with extra solar, life support, and propulsion, and a 3 krew lander/reentry module with basic life support and a bunch of science:

z6QWESS.png

GTiPROq.png

Jeb brought his golf clubs, because Jeb always brings his clubs:

rFYOS85.png

u29syda.png

In order to reduce upmass, Bob and Bill worked together to pull all the science from the instruments and store it in the command module before disconnecting the drop tanks (Everywhere Jeb goes it looks like a scrapheap, what's up with that??? ) :

4uSzwB9.png

95CyXgv.png

At this point we finally had our snag for the mission. The original plan was to re-dock with the orbital element for the return home, but due to some faulty calculations on the part of Mission Control, it was going to take over a day of phasing to make the maneuver.  Jeb reckoned they had *just* enough fuel left on the lander to make the return burn, Billl figured out that the return solar panels would barely keep up with the snack oven, and Bob decided they would be just as hungry after a day orbiting the Mun as they would after a day heading home. Off they went, to the green green hills of Kerbin:

RSmLdsZ.png

6ghfRib.png

Unfortunately, the missing propulsion element was intended to slow them down to near LKO velocities before starting re-entry. Since that was no longer an option, time to cannonball into the atmosphere at full speed:

PldTpxU.png

ydD67t3.png

Amazingly, didn't even lose a solar panel during the tumbling portion of the re-entry, and both chutes deployed as planned:

nxnprYs.png

KoS

22 hours ago, Axelord FTW said:

What's that mod you're talking about with the launchclamps?

The mod folder is "GroundPillar" but I don't think you'll find it anywhere. The person who made it gave me a copy when I asked about it in a KSP server. Aside from the distinct parts for clamps, it includes patch that lets you toggle staging on the stock launch clamps (and any mod's launch clamps).

@PART:HAS[@MODULE[LaunchClamp]]
{
	@MODULE[LaunchClamp]
	{
		%stagingEnableText = Clamp: Enable Staging
		%stagingDisableText = Clamp: Disable Staging
		%stagingToggleEnabledEditor = true
	}
}

5 hours ago, Joker58th said:

@JadeOfMaar, what is your frame rate with that base?  For perspective, could you also share your CPU/GPU setup?

6 ~ 8fps

• CPU: AMD FX 8320 Black Edition at 3.5 GHz
  • GPU: AMD Radeon R9 380X
  • RAM: 32 GB  (8GB x4) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 at 669.7 MHz

Actually, I'll get back to you on framerate. I'm getting exception spam for something.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Launched the first set of 4 GPS satellites into orbit. A slight error in planning meant that they were dropped off in a circular orbit rather than the resonant orbit needed to deploy correctly at evenly spaced intervals, however each satellite has enough fuel to position itself so no harm done.

Meanwhile over at Jupiter a series of moon flybys are underway in rapid succession- I discovered that orbital insertion around Jupiter produced a close approach to the outermost Galilean moon, Callisto, right at the probe’s apoapsis within a single orbit and tweaked the capture burn to get a good encounter; the gravity assist from that combined with a small course correction set up an encounter with Europa within a single orbit, with the gravity assist from that and another course correction setting up and encounter with Io within a single orbit too. 3 flybys within 2 orbits of Jupiter is pretty good going so far and there’s plenty of fuel left to find a Ganymede encounter and possibly to attempt orbital capture around one of the moons later on.

I updated to 1.12.3, saw the tweakscale message, created a thread to see if it would work (because we're leaving tomorrow for a stupid vacation), decided to downgrade to 1.12.2, started ksp, opened my mod testing save (wanted to make sure everything worked) and put Far Future Tech through its first unofficial paces:

Spoiler

tTaZqGC.png

Around 4500 m/s delta v, built in about five seconds (hyperbole).

Esb1Bmy.png

Sw1NkS9.png

Unfortunately it has the maneuverability of your average rock.

4AwMwJm.png

bYXyFjf.png

No kerbals were harmed, but the engineers' egos were left a bit worse for wear, though that is pretty much an improvement.

I drove my new rover, the Fortitude 1, around on Duna after sending it there by SSTO.

Spoiler

HDtTADP.jpg

The ascent profile for this craft is fairly standard for an SSTO, nothing too special to start out with. Getting into orbit was fairly easy, although in hidsight I probably should have included two less RAPIER engines to save weight. QgCvM9D.jpg

Once in orbit, I also did a little refueling to give it enough delta-V to land on Duna and return.vriLv15.jpg

gnZDFuY.jpg

Once arriving at Duna, I decided to perform an aerocapture instead of a direct orbital insertion. This required me to lower my periapsis all the way down to about 10 kilometers in order to slow down enough, and I had to attempt it a few times, as the front nose cone kept overheating. S6dfQfG.jpg

N3KYFzb.jpg

Speaking of "a few attempts", don't even get me started on how many it took to land. Landing any aircraft on Duna is pretty difficult because of the thin atmosphere, but all the problems that come with that are exacerbated with a larger craft. I think I failed to land at least 15 times before I transferred more of the craft's fuel to the back end, which served to balance out the weight distribution enough for the Vernor engines at the nose to be able to lift it up enough before landing. Even with the proper weight distribution, you still have to pop the chutes at the exact perfect moment to not just lose all of your horizontal speed and plummet to the ground vertically. oXIJBia.jpg

J14kNIq.jpg

NcxA7FO.jpg

The rover itself uses a foldable design in order to be able to fit into a MK3 cargo bay, as if I had just opted to make the rover slim enough to fit without such measures, it would have been way too easy to flip over (considering it flipped over and exploded twice in the first 10 kilometers regardless I'd say that was a pretty good decision)

hr7tWu6.jpg

LGs4y0E.jpg

It certainly can take uphill slopes well, though! Here you can see it scaling a 25+ degree slope, and during this ascent it was still accelerating up the hill.

vQbt2Zj.jpg

I also got to take a few beauty shots from the top of the rim of the giant canyon on Duna, which I suppose I'll call "Valles Kerbaleris", of course in reference to the real-life canyon Valles Marineris on Mars. 

mG0y51s.jpg

This screenshot in particular was a real good one, with Ike in the background. Too bad I'm not using any visual mods at the moment.

UscuBFC.jpg

ZrSN206.jpg

lRbKh8E.jpg

After descending from the canyon rim, it was on to a large basin, which is called the "Northeast Basin", according to its biome name.

mAzPZnd.jpg

The trip across the basin was nothing special, really, until I noticed something peculiar in the hills up ahead.

j7huTW7.jpg

Something "familiar"...

d5krkOx.jpg

L8ZZdYR.jpg

It was the Kerbal Face on Duna, complete with buggy hitboxes!

W261O0Z.jpg

CrRFmfq.jpg

This was actually my first time visiting this easter egg, despite having put nearly 2,000 hours into KSP at this point (Steam claims I've played for 1,966 hours).

jigNCMm.jpg

After visiting the "rock formation" (yeah, right, that's what they want us to believe), the Fortitude 1 drove out of the Northeast Basin and back up into the mountains.

2FSAYrP.jpg

n9gKMUs.jpg

Finally, I stopped driving once I'd reached the summit of a particularly tall mountain, at 8,110 meters elevation, which I believe is one of the highest anywhere on Duna. Honestly, it's kind of a shame that Duna doesn't have any extremely high mountains like the real Mars has, as I would really love if there were a few Olympus Mons-type shield volcanoes that went up to about 15-18 kilometers, at the top of which there would be almost no atmosphere to speak of.

1eJ7UyG.jpg

0mL9zh1.jpg

GJsLGIC.jpg

0mL9zh1.jpg

CrRFmfq.jpg

I'll probably continue driving the Fortitude all the way around Duna, although I'm not sure whether or not I want to make another mission report thread about it or just add to my existing thread. Let me know if you'd be interested in that, I guess.

So I was a little tired yesterday and I messed up my dV calc... badly. My ISRU ship had to go from landed on Mun to LKO and pick up an ore return probe and land on Mun again. I had about 3200 m/s... I thought that's enough...no! I didn't include the dV for landing or the effect of the extra probe weight. Needed 4000+ m/s. I would have had enough if I just finished refueling. So now I'm back in Mun orbit with the probe desperately trying to dock with the station that has enough fuel for it to land. I'm in nearly identical orbit with the station with 10 ms/ left! 10 out of 3200. And it has Vernors for RCS, no MP. 

But then I remembered... I pulled a couple baguette fuel tanks out of storage and attached them. Now I'm up to 51 m/s. No problem :D

Spoiler

EmVP29F.png

GPS constellation in progress- three launches have out 12 of the required 24 satellites into orbit, with 9 of those in their final orbits and the rest sitting in resonant orbits to be spaced out evenly. A little bit tedious, but it gives the VAB teams something to do and the contract reward is pretty good.

At this point I’m starting to regret not looking at the TWR on the satellites themselves, which never goes above 0.08 and makes for some painfully long burn times.

4uMDE6o.png

I have to admit that this was a lucky target run, getting this 'base' placed so fortuitously on the very edge of the tarmac.  (I'd been aiming to get it slightly further onto the green behind my camera position.  On the tarmac, is much better, however.

It provides accommodation on the airport for 17 kerbals plus 2500 kallons of LF in that Mk3 tank, for refueling itinerant aircraft.

The base was transported (from KSC here to Netherania) by the newest member of my Break-Apart series: Toby the Tank Engine

VPCHFKS.png

OK, shameless plug...

By all rights, Toby should not fly at all.  Get it to altitude, though, and:

1222 m/s @ 18.3 km

Edited by Hotel26

Alright, so... i've been playing KSP since i've returned, and unfortunately, i had to delete 2 career saves, because both of them couldn't satisfy me very well...<_<

And so,i'll talk about my third save, which ,at the moment, it doesn't seem to be a total fiasco to me-_-:

oh,and since i took too many pictures , i've posted these inside these 2 spoilers below. So i don't destroy the page into pieces.

The spoiler below here will detail my experience with Fregat I And Fregat II:

Spoiler

screenshot1.png

Oh, and yes, i have installed some visual mods, for a moment i thought it was going to destroy my poor pc, but apparently the only thing it is destroying are my fps, which now i have like... uhhhh.. 4/8 fps? (map view fps seems to be much more higher,around 7/12 fps), but at least, these mods made a little bit of beauty to my KSP(well, kind of).

Oh, and below here is one of the first spacecrafts i've designed(on the save of course),you might have already seen some of these, but that's because i'm using Unkerballed Start, which i really like it, not only because i can launch probes first and not slimmy pesky dumb frogs, but also because i don't have to sacrifice another kerbal during a unplanned maneuver!:lol:

As you can clearly see, The Fregat Program Consist of basically simple designs, but complex rewards.(and Unforeseen Consequences)

screenshot2.png

screenshot3.png

Since i used to always toggle the SAS on, i felt a little bit confused since this probe core doesn't have it,but at least i still can control the rocket, and send sweet science!

screenshot4.png

And then, when i was sending data during launch, i've just realized that i might have place too many batteries for the spacecraft, meaning that i've wasted like hundreds of Kollars!

screenshot5.png

screenshot7.png

Alright, all the science data has been transmitted, what a shame that it didn't managed to reach the Upper Atmosphere, i could have gathered more science...:(

screenshot8.png

screenshot9.png

screenshot10.png

screenshot11.png

Well, at least it gave us important information of Kerbin,well kind of.

screenshot12.png

screenshot13.png

Uh oh.

screenshot15.png

Oh, well at least it's not going to crash on one of the important building facilities.:mellow:

screenshot16.png

screenshot17.png

Wait what, what the actual chipmunks is that booster doing?

Is he hiding?, Did he Burrowed the probe core before the surface and speed did? well nevermind, at least, i'll get some sweet Kollars once i'll recover it, maybe this is indeed a successful reusable rocket!

At least, it gave me enough science points to research stuff in the tech tree.:P

Anyways, now let's move to the other Mission. Which is Fregat II

After the Partial Success of Fregat I, i've felt a little bit prepared to launch my other Fregat Spkacecraft:

screenshot19.png

Before i've designed the spacecraft,i've accepted some contracts, which some of those were that i had to test a radial decoupler.

screenshot20.png

I still don't even understand why a small light long steel ingot can make such explosion...

Well, i was going to launch it, but i've realized that it didn't have a antenna to transmit the science data, and since it costed me like... uhhh 7/11 thousands of Kollars, i've decided to "Recover" it. And then i had to do sneaky edits to it:

screenshot28.png

As you can see, i also accepted more contracts,some of them told me to test certain parts.

screenshot29.png

The Launch went very well...

screenshot30.png

Until...

screenshot31.png

The spacecraft didn't have the CoM and CoL aligned correctly, making the rocket rotating towards west.

screenshot32.png

Luckily, since it has a parachute(btw that damn parachute damaged my CoM), i successfully saved the rocket with few injuries:

screenshot33.png

screenshot34.png

screenshot35.png

screenshot36.png

Ughhh...

Well at least the science instruments are fine.

screenshot37.png

screenshot38.png

Well, i could have recovered the rocket with a little bit of raw science,but...

screenshot40.png

screenshot41.png

screenshot42.png

Uh oh, that's not a good looking cliff.

screenshot44.png

screenshot45.png

damn it...

screenshot46.png

Whoa, i think it will finally launch itself to the ocean,but... well, it doesn't have enough EC for it, so...

screenshot47.png

screenshot48.png

screenshot49.png

screenshot50.png

screenshot51.png

screenshot52.png

Sneaky wibbly wobbly damn rocket...:mad:

screenshot53.png

screenshot54.png

Well, i guess i should be careful next time...

Since the Spoiler above here is huge, i've decided to divide it into 2 spoilers.

Below this Spoiler box, i've posted the images of "Spy Plane Kepler", and Fregat III Missions:

Spoiler

The Spy Plane Kepler was an spy plane operated during certain conflicts on Kerbin, but also used for early mapping techniques, and since i've bundled more science instruments on it, i've launched it, oh, and since the previous flight(Fregat II) couldn't complete the contracts that i've accepted, this one should finish it. (btw i just realized that this picture below here is from moments before i finished it)

screenshot56.png

The principal pilot of the plane is going to be Jeb Kerman, he... well, we found him flying a paper plane near the VAB, so we hired him, and well, i hope he gets satisfied from his new and expensive job.

screenshot57.png

screenshot58.png

Uhhhh... well, i guess Jeb is looking at the Mun, believing that he will once go there with his plane,if only he was capable to do such achievement...

screenshot59.png

screenshot60.png

screenshot61.png

below here it is a photo taken by one of the Spy Plane's SpyCam

screenshot62.png

screenshot63.png

I hope you know what you're doing Jeb, since this plane is like 4 years old, i guess you can make it fly, but...

screenshot64.png

screenshot65.png

oh nuts.

screenshot66.png

screenshot67.png

screenshot68.png

screenshot69.png

screenshot70.png

Yet even more Spy Plane Photos(i had to make these smaller so you don't have to scroll too much):

screenshot71.pngscreenshot72.pngscreenshot73.pngscreenshot75.png

screenshot76.png

What are you Doing Jeb?

screenshot77.png

screenshot78.png

NO, NONONNOONOONONO, PLS JEB DON'T DO THAT, THAT PLANE IS NOT EVEN CAPABLE TO STEER FASTLY!

NO! JEB! DON'T-

screenshot81.png

screenshot82.png

do that...

darn...

Well, at least we got Valentina as an emergency reserve pilot...

Ughhh...

well, at least we have... a little bit of enough money to upgrade the VAB.

screenshot84.png

oh, but we don't have enough Kollars for our next launch:

mmmmmmmm.... i'm gonna do some sweet tricks:

*a few contracts accepted later*

screenshot85.png

that should be enough!

*50 minutes later, on the VAB*

screenshot88.png

There we go! i hope this one doesn't fail like the other one!

screenshot89.png

screenshot91.png

screenshot93.png

screenshot93.png

screenshot94.png

screenshot95.png

Nooo Fiddle Sticks! What now?:mad:

screenshot96.png

screenshot97.png

well, i guess it will transmit science data of the ocean.

screenshot98.png

screenshot100.png

screenshot101.png

*boom*

screenshot102.png

ughhhh, i should have made some modifications on it.

Well at least now i have 36 science points, which is enough to research 2 nodes!

screenshot103.png

screenshot104.png

Alright, now i need to see how i can exploit more science data from Kerbin ,since i don't seem to have the enough technology to expand my missions.... But anyways, now i guess i should play KSP now before it is to late!

Minmus EL base 1 (extraction, conversion) is built! Unfortunately I'm a big dummy or I dumfingered a tank wrong at one point so the installation actually had no space for metal. You know, the intermediary resource NEEDED to make rocketparts? Yeah, I had to built a separate annex (dubbed the Big Dumb White Metal Sausage) to make it work.

pOknMLq.jpg
v1EJ9HQ.jpg

Next step is build the construction and launch facility. This time I'm keeping all installations at least 2.3km away from each others, to give my poor PC a chance. A giant rover will have to carry parts and fuel around. There's some superfluous/temporary RP storage on site right now, and it'll help build big structures without needing to upscale-build (small factory -> medium -> large ->giant). The factory-lander (seen in both picture on the bottom right) has a good build factor in an of itself, it simply lacks the RP storage. The temporary RP-tanker-lander-thing (on the left in the first picture) can carry a lot. When everything is in place, I'll fly it into a cliff or something.