What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Meet Hyperborea, the fifth interplanetary factory I've made. Though still incomplete, the core is done (still need a launchpad). I went for a slightly (very) smaller form-factor this time, as this one is not going to be manned permanently anyway, but will serve as a groundside waystation in the Joolian system. I kinda did a woopsie, again, and forgot to include a furnace, AGAIN!, so I went and cannibalized the Factory Starter and the third intermediary stage for their small furnaces, which I winched up the side of the factory and plopped in place. Don't have the radiator power to cool them by themselves but I simply hooked them to the fission reactor, which isn't too far in terms of loop temperature anyway. The loss of efficiency isn't much of a problem.
h5o8UoA.png

I also completed and lifted the second section of the Fresnel AM engine from Glassvein and docked it with the engine section in a 20km circular orbit above Minmus. If all goes well, it should have something in the order of a million m/s of dV once finished. The next section will be for power, having both a fission reactor, and a fusion plant. I'll lift the deuterium from Kerbin, obviously, but I'm pretty low on money again (less than 4 million).
mh6A0qd.png
lAN4dtQ.png
UItrpMg.png
HgTclJM.png

Edited by Axelord FTW

2 minutes ago, OrdinaryKerman said:

Made a hangar static for small planes or rovers, based on the large nissen huts on the Lv1 and Lv2 R&D facilities (and the 1.12 remote launch sites)

b3ui7kK.png
(rightmost is stock)
https://i.imgur.com/Yigcgkl.mp4

Jitteriness is probably due to the lower positioning precision KK statics seem to use

Nice! I love the working door!

I'm fighting so hard against the urge to start making stuff again...I've been looking at my old unfinished projects and some are really tugging at me to finish them.

So yesterday I launched a nuclear powered tug into LKO without fitting it with solar panels and radiators.:rolleyes: Today we are launching a mission to install those in orbit.

2fNALcC.png

Forgotten items remembered! The little push your craft gets every time you install a part is very annoying, especially when your craft doesn't have proper RCS.

ipomTmj.png

The waterfall mod is the greatest thing of all time in my opinion. 

UIzFJ5Z.png

If left at the default settings, parachutes can cause a bit of a pucker factor.  At 150 meters we were still going 50 m/s. All in all that was a lot cheaper than launching a new tug, as I would have had to do pre 1.11. Haven't had much use for the building mechanics when it comes to constructing ships, but it sure has come in handy for providing a way out of my frequent forgetfulness.:P

Imgur album containing full mission:https://imgur.com/a/u6bzq03

Kathory Kerman couldn't resist taking this snap.  This is the first contact with the surface of Duna in the 4 years I have been playing this world (save).  A Sentimental Moment.

Survived a huge crash "gouging down" when the kerb-chute did not open (forgot to dial the Min Pressure down) but Kathory survived and is now trudging toward the hollow ahead to plant a flag on a suitably-flat site for bringing down some heavy mining equipment.  (Sadly, the Ladybug personal jet-tank being ridden was completely & utterly vaporized.)

wldD1Zk.jpg

Edited by Hotel26

Been experimenting with creating holographic displays for my larger warships that have custom interiors.  Still a very much WIP, but i do like the concept sofar.

Y0xQUhN.png

Now if only flags werent so buggy, it appears that they dont have shadows rendered on them AT ALL, and they have some issues with occlusion since i can see the planet in front of the leftmost display despite the planet display being in the center of the ship and not near the captain's seat as it looks like it is in the 1st screenshot.

fYdww7G.png

I might just go with less of the displays (or space them out moreso) as they look fine when not placed smack dab in the center of the ship (i wanted a massive display over the table in the center just above the conference/feeding table).  Maybee even just ditch the center display, move it near the captain, and then move the ship status display near the reactor status display.

Kv09kDb.png

That and i need to redo the interior lighting, the side displays are not lit one bit by the 2 large lights on the front/rear of the ship, and while i like the bluish color scheme, it doesnt particularly fit the interior of the bridge all that great.  Maybee ill just redo the lighting entirely as its cheap (just 2 lights for the whole ship), but it doesnt look all that amazing being a single color for the whole warship.

First, I did some spring cleaning, which reduced my patch count from 14000 to 6000. Second, I installed atomic age, which, to my great surprise, has waterfall configs! Most of the rest is in the spoiler:

Spoiler

WrKGjP2.png

Probulator 2 in lko.

z5D9CFN.png

Gorgeous plume!!

0NxVo3h.png

Arriving at the mun. (I also installed astrogator, which is like the stock maneuver creator, but it can plot rendezvous.) 

KFs8Lhu.png

I also installed kerbal engineer, but I only kept the suicide burn timer. 

zCHuwC6.png

Landed!

m98qgim.png

I did some hopping to check out the canyon, more of a huge valley.

FPeGeK0.png

I removed some of the mods that put parts on Tycho, so it has been automatically deleted, this is its replacement, hepheastus. (named after the greek god of blacksmithing and craftmanship.

sl0GQeC.png

HVE5AgV.png

Pretty.

q5pcKDD.png

Tada!

ncY1mGv.png

1BdSWXv.png

Ez0KOsB.png

I didn't know xenon was sold separately, so I destroyed that one and cheated a full one up.

AQGMl3Y.png

Better time warp and ion engines are a match made in heaven!

9XAZMTd.png

At least 30 minutes of course corrections later, I got to Eve, the goal of this mission was to see if a course I've come up with to get to Moho with less delta v by aerobraking at Eve to just slow enough to escape, unfortunately, I forgot to take one thing into account...

aa7rrUL.png

It annihilated itself in the space of two seconds.

I also did this:

Sorry for the sideways, youtube doesn't allow shorts with music which aren't filmed on a phone.

Today in my current career I sent Vision III to Ike to gather some science.  I had a contract to get science from space around Ike, and even though I want to start a mining operation on Minmus shortly, I couldn't resist the funds gained from the contract.  Or the science points (1900 of them) from gathering science in space around and from the surface of Ike.  Had to do it.

But an interesting thing happened on the way home from Ike.  I sent up both a mothership and a lander, and I had the mothership in an elliptical orbit around Duna while the lander went to Ike.  The lander did its thing and came back, and I docked easily with the mothership.  I then generated a maneuver node to get home, and the window was 3 years away.  No big deal; I'll just set KAC and time warp ahead.  And after about a month (30 days or so), the mothership was ejected from Duna's orbit and went into solar orbit.  Now, I know that I was in a rather ugly elliptical orbit (100km Pe, ~2000km Ap), and this I'm sure played into this happening.  It was interesting to me because I've not seen that happen in any of my games before.  Anyhow, I had to recalculate the transfer to Kerbin, which ended up being another 3 years away.  I got home safely - or, rather, Jeb and Bob got home safely - and all is right with the world.  It was just odd that I saw this happen.  It ended up costing me ~250 m/s of dV to get to Kerbin's SOI (the original dV required from Duna was 575 m/d, while the transfer from solar orbit was ~825), but I had plenty to spare at that point.  This does, however, force me to think about orbits a bit more and how to deal with them appropriately.

In other news today, I tested crossfeed on engines.  In one of the challenges here, you can only use parts manufactured by Jeb's Junkyard...which means no decouplers.  This means that my upper stage was draining into the lower stage, even though I had an engine in my upper stage.  So I ran a test to change fuelCrossFeed to be FALSE in the CFG file for one of the engines...and that effectively turned off said engine.  It wasn't entirely expected behavior, but makes total and perfect sense that you need fuel flowing through the engine for it to do anything.  This is just an FYI for anyone interested; merely a public service announcement.  Had this been an actual emergency, this message would be followed by instructions on what to do and where to go to protect yourselves.  And with that, we now return you to the arts.

1 hour ago, Scarecrow71 said:

But an interesting thing happened on the way home from Ike.  I sent up both a mothership and a lander, and I had the mothership in an elliptical orbit around Duna while the lander went to Ike.  The lander did its thing and came back, and I docked easily with the mothership.  I then generated a maneuver node to get home, and the window was 3 years away.  No big deal; I'll just set KAC and time warp ahead.  And after about a month (30 days or so), the mothership was ejected from Duna's orbit and went into solar orbit.  Now, I know that I was in a rather ugly elliptical orbit (100km Pe, ~2000km Ap), and this I'm sure played into this happening.  It was interesting to me because I've not seen that happen in any of my games before.  Anyhow, I had to recalculate the transfer to Kerbin, which ended up being another 3 years away.  I got home safely - or, rather, Jeb and Bob got home safely - and all is right with the world.  It was just odd that I saw this happen.  It ended up costing me ~250 m/s of dV to get to Kerbin's SOI (the original dV required from Duna was 575 m/d, while the transfer from solar orbit was ~825), but I had plenty to spare at that point.  This does, however, force me to think about orbits a bit more and how to deal with them appropriately.

This is a common problem, it can only be avoided by switching to the tracking station, warping from there, and switching back.

Well, it was common for me, anyway.

(It happens any time you go to 10000 or 100000 warp in low orbit.)

Some rover stuff. Then, I swapped out the cannibalized furnaces on Hyperborea with a single, full-sized one which was integrated with the launchpad (with dedicated heat-loop). I only had to detach them and push them off, so easy stuff. Finally, I changed my administration strategy from science over funds, to funds over science, which now turns 80% of all science earned to funds. I was getting dangerously low.

mnzbTTa.png
0VYttL7.jpg

I decided further serious station building was going to require a serious space plane capable of handling high-bulk cargo. Introducing Leviathan:

ftzsALW.png

5m in diameter, the cargo bay is nearly the same size as a S4/512 fuel tank, and specifically designed to haul 2 large MKS modules, or multiple medium sized ones with other attachments.

It shares the distinctive cranked-arrow wing design with my slightly smaller Roc spaceplane, but with enlarged dimensions and much more power. (I think it looks vaguely Klingon, which is cool.)

HMDetwc.png

vxCput4.png

G1xCySy.png

Maximum up-mass is ~80 tons (the biggest 3.75m fuel tank):

0XP7az4.png

Two propulsion options are available, 19 Rapiers for lifting the heaviest loads, or 18 Rapiers + 1 Aerospike for missions requiring more orbital maneuvering. Each arrangement can also use a pair of Thumper SRBs as JATO boosters:

RI0F3mG.png

nLxVRST.png

I took advantage of the huge volume inside the forward fairing to make my first semi-functional interior. It's triple decked with a flight deck, mid-deck engineering station and crew spaces (including a bunk) , and a basement level with extra storage, power generation, and life support:

RYIGRK2.png

w5wygcj.png

I wanted to get some pictures of the crew enjoying themselves. It didn't have to be awkward. I didn't want it to be awkward. It ended up being awkward:

8t9jKQx.png

KoS

Edited by Kerbals_of_Steel

9 hours ago, Kerbals_of_Steel said:

I decided further serious station building was going to require a serious space plane capable of handling high-bulk cargo. Introducing Leviathan:

ftzsALW.png

5m in diameter, the cargo bay is nearly the same size as a S4/512 fuel tank, and specifically designed to haul 2 large MKS modules, or multiple medium sized ones with other attachments.

It shares the distinctive cranked-arrow wing design with my slightly smaller Roc spaceplane, but with enlarged dimensions and much more power. (I think it looks vaguely Klingon, which is cool.)

HMDetwc.png

vxCput4.png

G1xCySy.png

Maximum up-mass is ~80 tons (the biggest 3.75m fuel tank):

0XP7az4.png

Two propulsion options are available, 19 Rapiers for lifting the heaviest loads, or 18 Rapiers + 1 Aerospike for missions requiring more orbital maneuvering. Each arrangement can also use a pair of Thumper SRBs as JATO boosters:

RI0F3mG.png

nLxVRST.png

I took advantage of the huge volume inside the forward fairing to make my first semi-functional interior. It's triple decked with a flight deck, mid-deck engineering station and crew spaces (including a bunk) , and a basement level with extra storage, power generation, and life support:

RYIGRK2.png

w5wygcj.png

I wanted to get some pictures of the crew enjoying themselves. It didn't have to be awkward. I didn't want it to be awkward. It ended up being awkward:

8t9jKQx.png

KoS

Awesome Spaceplane! I love the interior! Such a nice desing!

I launched a Comm Satellite.   It's not even worth a pic.   What's notable about it is that it's the first time I played this KSP this year.... or last year.    Yup, I didn't even boot up KSP last year.  I forgot half the commands, and just launching to LKO on my first attempt felt good.     Oh yeah, and a heavily modded game, the VAB was renamed to the "WHY ARE THERE SO MANY PARTS!? Building".

LjslcxC.png

Successfully deployed deployable stuff underwater and got Rofrid Kerman stuck in the fairing.  The tricky part is to deploy items outside the diving bell while staying inside because they refuse do deploy under the diving bell.

14 hours ago, Gargamel said:

I launched a Comm Satellite.   It's not even worth a pic.   What's notable about it is that it's the first time I played this KSP this year.... or last year.    Yup, I didn't even boot up KSP last year.  I forgot half the commands, and just launching to LKO on my first attempt felt good.     Oh yeah, and a heavily modded game, the VAB was renamed to the "WHY ARE THERE SO MANY PARTS!? Building".

I resemble everything in your post. :D

Kerbal for scale.

3Kh3Yyk.png

7v8lmoR.png

XQZz49j.png

Nearly 140 metres tall and weighing over 11 kilotons, this is the biggest rocket I’ve ever launched in KSP. The payload itself is nearly 50 metres long and weighs 650 tons, and is one part of the propulsion system needed for my crewed Mars and Venus missions- the other two parts are very similar but attach radially to this one.

Started refueling the Calypso.

First mission was bungled bad, as I kinda forgot the Calypso has a NUCLEAR engine. In other words, an engine that doesn't need oxidizer. Tanker made it there anyway, but lacked the dV to land in, well, on piece. Oxidizer is heavy, which didn't help. If I had included a drain valve, I would absolutely have made it (but why would I have done that instead of just making the tanker carry LH2 only?).
Second tanker went better too, but also ran short of dV for landing. I could absolutely bring the Calypso to a lower orbit but meh. It's not like those things are crewed anyway and they only take a few days to build. The Calypso is about 80% fueled up with LH2 now, and topped up in enriched uranium for its reactors and engine. Next up, mission packages for the other Joolian moons. Mostly unmanned landers and rovers, but I think I'll be sending a few crewed missions down to low-G moons.

e0tJbza.jpg
txQ22cB.jpg

Let's Break All The Rules Of KSP Carrer!

0) Spell Career Wrongly

Does not count as a rule, but  just for fun.  In the title I spelt Career as Carrer.

1) Asymmetry

Asymmetry will cause your craft to be unbalanced.  When the COM is not inline with the COT, your craft will spin in circles and become... catastrophic fireworks.

2) Go to Eeloo before the Mun

When you go beyond kerbin, it's always best to start small

3)  Don't upgrade buildings

Well, this will keep you stuck with so many restrictions like that stupid thing where you "cannot disembark on an EVA unless on Kerbin's surface"  and others.  It's just a pain, and you can't even upgrade the tech tree without upgrading R and D, and can't even launch rockets with over 30 parts or weigh 18 tons or more.

4)  Max out Rocketry, not caring about anything else.

This will cause you to be heavily imbalanced in terms of tech, and not have much Science Experiments.

Not what I've done today but what I've done recently:

Stockalike SLS Replica!

20211230125300-1.jpg

20211230125323-1.jpg

20211230125355-1.jpg

20211230125528-1.jpg

20211230125550-1.jpg

20211230125555-1.jpg

20211230125718-1.jpg

20211230130633-1.jpg

20211230130923-1.jpg

20211230131043-1.jpg

20211230131405-1.jpg

20211230131659-1.jpg

20211230131812-1.jpg

20211230131848-1.jpg

This uses the Stock Game + DLC with KNES, Snacks, Waterfall/Stock Waterfall Effects, Simple Recolor?, and AtomicTech Inc. Junkyards.

Also,

A Jamestown-esqe Minmus Base Experiment!

20211225113210-1.jpg

20211225113346-1.jpg

20211225113350-1.jpg

20211225113354-1.jpg

20211225113415-1.jpg

20211225113454-1.jpg

20211225113532-1.jpg

20211225113611-1.jpg

20211225113620-1.jpg

20211225113844-1.jpg

20211225114157-1.jpg

20211225114258-1.jpg

20211225114306-1.jpg

20211225114850-1.jpg

20211225114855-1.jpg

20211225114856-1.jpg

20211225114923-1.jpg

20211225114933-1.jpg

20211225114935-1.jpg

20211225115044-1.jpg

20211225114949-1.jpg

20211225115101-1.jpg

20211225115147-1.jpg

20211225115248-1.jpg

Stuff Used: Stock+DLC, Tokamax Industried Refurbished, AtomicTech Inc. Junkyards, Snacks, and KNES.

But Wait! 

There's More!

Another Surface Based based off of my Jamestown Prototype!

20211229153321-1.jpg

20211229153346-1.jpg

20211229153350-1.jpg

20211229153401-1.jpg

20211229153435-1.jpg

20211229153514-1.jpg

20211229153550-1.jpg

20211229153619-1.jpg

20211229153632-1.jpg

Note: That isn't the Puff and Skipper, those are engines of my own concoction, only found in AtomicTech Inc. Junkyards. Shameless PlugTM

20211229153708-1.jpg

20211229153835-1.jpg

20211229153926-1.jpg

20211229154015-1.jpg

20211229154024-1.jpg

20211229154116-1.jpg

20211229154121-1.jpg

20211229154231-1.jpg

20211229154240-1.jpg

20211229154314-1.jpg

20211229154331-1.jpg

20211229154458-1.jpg

20211229154527-1.jpg

20211229154545-1.jpg

20211229154626-1.jpg

Spoiler

Stupid Decoupler...

20211229154642-1.jpg

20211229154703-1.jpg

20211229154808-1.jpg

Stuff Required: Stock + DLC, AtomicTech Inc. Junkyards, KNES, Snacks, RLA Reborn, and AmpYear.