What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Finished fueling up the Frisbee interstellar engine stack with LH2 (6,911,990 units) AND EnUr (8052 units)! All that's left now is the crew, the factory starter(s) and the antimatter right at the end. I'm really just waiting for the Calypso to return to Kerbin. Its full 13 Kerbal complement, all at 5 stars, will be instrumental in the success of this interstellar trip (well, not actually but let's just say it makes sense).

I'm having trouble thinking of a good name for it, though. All that comes to mind is Boobatree.

PCaptTt.jpg
MhtoF7b.jpg

EDIT: After:

Spoiler

Crew transfer has begun! Turns out I had kind of gotten my counts mixed up and I have more space on the Frisbee Interstellar Ship (FIS for now) than Kerbals in total part of my space program. Started recruiting to fill in the empty seats though I'm still mostly looking for not-dumb ones so I haven't gotten everyone yet. I was even able to have a direct encounter with the FIS right off the bat with a little bit of tweaking. Matched velocities at closest approach, and bam!
To note, I also went and fetched the Kerbal I had abandoned posted on the Mun to extract He3 and brought him back to Kerbin. EZPZ mission, no pictures.
23 souls have now boarded the FIS, and I did what I usually do these days and chucked the bus at Minmus to get rid of it. I'm not so poor anymore that I need to reuse Kerbin-launched crafts as if my life depended on it.

TefrRpo.jpg
lJ8IagN.jpg
GmSXLGJ.jpg
jtHUCzw.jpg
PmzFZup.jpg
et5D1lC.jpg
XSbzwrw.jpg

Edited by Axelord FTW

Mostly I stayed up much too late. Sent a five ship flotilla to Duna and Ike. Had a ship coming home from Eve and Gilly around the same time the flotilla was arriving. Got to be a little stressful but managed to get everything parked safely.

Deployed a science "base" on Ike:

And got some custom suits working:

LxOlkeZ.png

D0fjkNp.png

TceeQ07.png

Built and "landed" a balloon base on eve, it was going to be a one way trip, Konstantin fell off, so I went back to a quicksave with Tycho in eve orbit, then I cheated it back to kerbin orbit. Technically this never happened from the kerbals' point of view:

Spoiler

Hohman transfers get boring after a while of playing, and I didn't want to spend the time for this one so, debug. (Yeah, I know I am cheating a lot, but I find it fun, and that's all I care about.)

bx11ZS8.png

Stabilizing my orbit with a tiny burn.

5vWh1ae.png

Buster Kerman took the eve base, named Poison Sky, out for a test.

rNk5jkY.png

Tycho release.

jntzsrs.png

Someone needs to teach the cameraman the kzinti lesson!

T3RRVMO.png

Unfortunately it started overheating, so I had to cheat away its velocity. (I probably should have redesigned it, but I didn't want to.)

tRGD3FJ.png

AcfCE58.png

A5HyKT3.png

hUjSo8Q.png

ycmm6YS.png

Pretty planet, this.

nNH842m.png

After this, Konstantin fell.

9hNWmK3.png

Back at kerbin. Everyone survived!

Also, the terrain is now high res (all it needed was a restart) here are some pics from please ignore 1 (the please ignore probes are small probes that I use to test visuals, then revert to vab.)

SELiSyg.png

16rta5c.png

Pretty.

A mission was launched to Iota with a new lander and launcher for it. The crew expresses their usual enthusiasm for flight testing new hardware. 

SFLuZ77.png

Spoiler

We head to Iota.

mKVXHTL.png

Prepping for landing.

GjdJbDs.png

The new wider stance lander preforms perfectly.

FPlGhZM.png

And someone forgot to pack the correct surface experiment. 

M2vR8qv.png

But we got some great pictures.

R8YQfol.png

A short 800 meter RCS trip takes us to a new biome.

2wrgEwE.png

And back home we go.

Eob4puL.png

And the mission ends with a morning landing.

uAM6Lwh.png

Status report:

1. I finished 300 contracts in 300 days in my present career save! Almost all in Kerbin SOI 
  2. Pushed a class E asteroid into Mun orbit... that was tedious! 
  3. I just made it to Duna orbit the first time. Getting science.
  4. I completely borked a 45 km hop on the Mun ... overshot the target on the near rim of a large crater, hit the wall on the far side at 150 m/s. The lander module survived and slid up the slope like a half-pipe and achieved 2 km above ground before crashing again 15 km past the target. Don't get cocky kerbonauts! 
8 minutes ago, Kerb24 said:

all the debris in my save just disappeared?

I have a mod that is clearing my debris too (at least I assume it's a mod). Some undocumented feature maybe. I didn't figure out which one... [x]Science maybe? Did you add mods lately? Here's my mod list - maybe we can figure it out. I crossed out the ones that I installed after I noticed it was clearing debris.

Spoiler

[x] Science! Continued (xScienceContinued 6.0.0.9)
Advanced Fly-By-Wire (Windows) (AdvancedFlyByWire 1.8.3.6)
Better Load Save Game Renewed (BetterLoadSaveGame 2.5.3.4)
Breaking Ground (BreakingGround-DLC 1.7.1)
ClickThrough Blocker (ClickThroughBlocker 1:0.1.10.17)
Community Trait Icons (CommunityTraitIcons v1.1.1)
Contract Parser (ContractParser 9.0)
Contracts Window + (ContractsWindowPlus 9.4)
Craft Manager (CraftManager 1.2.0)
Distant Object Enhancement /L (DistantObject v2.1.1.6)
Distant Object Enhancement /L default config (DistantObject-default v2.1.1.6)

Easy Vessel Switch (EVS) (EasyVesselSwitch 2.3)
EasyBoard (EasyBoard 1.10)
Editor Extensions Redux (EditorExtensionsRedux 3.4.3.5)
Environmental Visual Enhancements Redux (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 3:1.11.6.1)
Fill It Up (FillitUp 0.2.0.2)
Hangar Extender (HangerExtenderExtended 3.6.0.2)
Haystack ReContinued (HaystackReContinued 0.5.7.4)
Improved and Updated Chase Camera (ImprovedUpdatedChaseCam 1.6.4.1)
Kerbal Alarm Clock (KerbalAlarmClock v3.13.0.0)
Kerbal Engineer Redux (KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.9.0)
Kopernicus Planetary System Modifier (Kopernicus 2:release-1.12.1-70)
KSP Recall (KSP-Recall v0.2.1.3)
KXAPI (KXAPI 1.2.0)
Making History (MakingHistory-DLC 1.12.1)
ModularFlightIntegrator (ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.10.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 4.2.1)
Parallax (Parallax 1.3.1)
Parallax - Stock Planet Textures (Parallax-StockTextures 1.3.1)

Planning Node (PlanningNode v0.1.4)
Pood's Milky Way Skybox (PoodsMilkyWaySkybox v.1.3.0)
Portrait Stats (PortraitStats 18.0)
Progress Parser (ProgressParser 11.0)
QuickBrake (QuickBrake 1:1.4.0.8)
QuickGoTo (QuickGoTo 1:1.4.0.9)
Scatterer Sunflare (Scatterer-sunflare 3:v0.0828)
Ship Manifest (ShipManifest 6.0.5.0)
SimpleFuelSwitch (SimpleFuelSwitch 1.4)
Smart Docking Aid (SmartDockingAid v1.1.0)
SpaceTux Library (SpaceTuxLibrary 0.0.8.4)
SpaceY Expanded (SpaceY-Expanded 1.4)
SpaceY Heavy Lifters (SpaceY-Lifters 1.17.2)
Spectra (Spectra v1.5.0)

TAC Fuel Balancer (TacFuelBalancer v2.21.5.2)
TextureReplacer (TextureReplacer v4.5.2)
Toolbar Controller (ToolbarController 1:0.1.9.6)
Trajectories (Trajectories v2.4.3)
TriggerAu Flags (TriggerAu-Flags v2.10.0.0)
TweakScale - Rescale Everything! (TweakScale v2.4.6.8)
Waypoint Manager (WaypointManager 2.8.3.3)
Zero MiniAVC (ZeroMiniAVC 1:1.1.2.4)

2 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

What mod?

That would be Principia.
I recommend it, even though I don't run it anymore. There's some jank happening and I haven't been able to get rid of it. 100% a me problem, though, as it seem to be an unique issue.

There's also the mod for the better tracking station thingy, which I forget the name of.

Edited by Axelord FTW

5 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

I have a mod that is clearing my debris too (at least I assume it's a mod). Some undocumented feature maybe. I didn't figure out which one... [x]Science maybe? Did you add mods lately? Here's my mod list - maybe we can figure it out. I crossed out the ones that I installed after I noticed it was clearing debris.

I have no mods.

3 hours ago, splashboom said:

Not all landings are 'perfect'.

R6 is a pretty unforgiving runway at KSC.  Congratulations for giving it a go!!

(Unless of course this was an attempted R9-27 landing gone awry and this is just where the airplane finished its extra-curricular tour!   In which case also, "well done".)

:)

I wasn't going to post this (code-named Anion), but since I am here...

0RXPNUW.jpg   bVLyGaK.jpg   LsgcyTK.jpg

04:01 from KSC to Minmus flats.  Shaved that down to just 2h back, meaning the round trip could be done in a total of 4h.

Spoiler

It's commonly believed that mad scientists work in total isolation.  This is not factual.  There's actually a complicated network of we madmen at work.

The blueprints for this mysterious power plant appeared a few days ago in my Inbox (from someone known to me only as 'Gandalf').

As far as I have been able to determine so far, it appears to operate on some kind of anti-matter interaction with the Higgs field.

Edited by Hotel26

44 minutes ago, Kerb24 said:

I have no mods.

Well that's interesting. There's a couple stock settings for debris- the max persistent debris which defaults to 250 and the checkbox for cleaning up debris at KSC. Any way persistent debris got set to 0? Maybe it's already in the KSP bug tracker - didn't look. 

KSC runway 06-24...  holding Jeb's beer.

Aight, haven't posted here in a while, so I'm gonna combine the last several stuff I did. 

So last week I made a Phoenix shuttle flight. Its the first tourist flight and the first when I actually took a screenshot. Note: They aren't actual tourists. I made it just for sort of a story for the forum.

Here are the side boosters: They are used for launching and orbiting. Note that they are made to de-orbit themselves.

Kerbal-Space-Program-Enhanced-Edition-20

The 4 tourists were Padan, Anmore, Dude and Billey (SCREW YOU BILLY!!!) Kerman.

Their pilots were Jeb and Bill. 

The shuttle went in a 100km orbit. Then one of the tourists went outside.

All good. They stayed in orbit for quite a while, just so that I landed on the day side of Kerbin. Then was the first time when I actually made a circle around the KSC to lower altitude. And again, because of one of the many bugs in the "enhanced" edition, landing was quite hard, but successful.

. Success! Some days later I wanted to make a new shuttle: The hawk shuttle. I made a test flight like the Enterprise one.

Its a fact that later on I gave it two dart engines and no canards, and the nosecone was the other mk2 cockpit for 4 kerbals inside.

But... no. I wanted to make a Mun rover mission. Never done such a mission before.

That first stage along with the side boosters produces 8000KN of power!

Here is the second stage:

And he TMI (Trans-Munar injection) stage:

And the lander itself:

Fun fact: During the first landing attempt,I was just about to land on 50 degree angled crater. But moments before touchdown: no. Engines went full power again to get to a flatter surface. That happened during the first rover attempt irl too: Apollo 15! What a coincidence! OK, landing procedure was good. But there was a little problem|: The rover was placed too low and the Kraken made it get stuck. So I reloaded a quick save and good. The rover was safe.

While Bill was staying in the command module, Bob and Jeb went for a ride.

They scanned some stuff, Jeb picked up a stone and they went back.

Kerbal-Space-Program-Enhanced-Edition-20 Then the ascent stage fired up, I achieved Munar orbit and came back home

And then: I wanted to deorbit my Science module on Eye to the sky 2. It was just toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo laggy. But there was a little problem: It was full of kerbals. And... Them kerbals in the science module might not survive. And... I WAS HEADING FOR SURFACE AND NOT WATER!!!! 

SO I quickly fired the RCS thrusters at a nearby lake and (somehow) the kerbals used their own parachutes and glided to the water. What a luck! First attempt! The five kerbals: Jabin, Tommy,  Oreny, Jenbin and Gilsted Kerman survived!

But... The station still had laggg... I guess I should remove the RCS thrusters but... Still no 1.11 on console. Pls Blitworks, Pls...

Then I continued my Hawk shuttle tests, but I still can't get it to orbit. BTW has anyone ever noticed this:

The Mk2 docking port has a target and anti-target thing on it:

Am I the first to see this?

Edited by Aerodynamic Kerbal

I built a Go Utterly Anywhere* VTOL Amphibian, or GUAVA for short. :D 

*Limited to kerbin's atmosphere.

Spoiler

After a looong period of trial and error, I finally got a working one.

Z0ZZXmJ.png

3ZNhbbb.png

Katrina, Jeb's slightly crazier twin sister, ace jet pilot and amateur skydiver, took this working design for a spin.

jSvyVw1.png

Folding wings allow it to fit in a single parking space, and also increase the cool factor by a few orders of magnitude.

XSUf5eP.png

After it has gained enough speed with the panther engine, the three Junos can be shut down.

q1GJA6J.png

gl63mXa.png

Touching down in the water near the harbor.

IHBD4hU.png

Splash!

nOorWD2.png

Dive the submarine! :D

kVM3KgZ.png

tT87Pio.png

Going up.

Rit9SwI.png

Takeoff!

V997hHO.png

7P35rwa.png

KZBLEhi.png

tnnH40a.png

That'll buff out.

After landing Katrina realizes she probably should have landed at the outpost.

Also, I found my first orbital rocket in my first save file.

d2oeJ9O.png

Like that, only without restock, or any other mods. The upper stage is a vector.

I didn't report on it yesterday, but I started experimenting with Far Future Technologies and drove a ship to Eeloo and back in less than 250 days (though I could have made it a lot shorter had I done a better job with braking burns and not missed Kerbin by half its orbital radius):

PNkrNMg.jpg

Today I downloaded the Waterfall effects mod and built this ghastly rig to test its effects on every stock and FFT engine at once:

ZaCIXxF.jpg

Waterfall is nice, innit? Also, welcome to the FFT fold! One of us, ONE OF US!

Anyway, today (and yesterday) was the day!
First, I added some heavy braces with Quantum Struts to the Labrador Express (still a placeholder name). They're just longboi structural stock with blue wizz lines everywhere. Helps a lot keeping the LE straight and unwobbly under thrust. I had already included one-axis heavy docking ports on the top-end of the engine stack, so all I had to do was produce them on Minmus, lift them up, and dock. With THAT was done, we're now off to the races! Even as I type this, I left's Kerbin's SOI at a relative 20,000m/s, which is nice.
One thing is obvious, I screwed up the numbers once more and the AM consumption on the LE outstrips the LH2 consumption by a factor of 4. Woops! Considering how much I upscaled my original Kerbal capacity plan, the dV total also fell majorly. I also tried to run PersistentThrust but it's effectively borked on 1.12 so no joy. Still, keeping it in map mode at 4x phys warp isn't so bad. I'll expend about 45,000m/s one way, and as much to brake, leaving me about 15,000m/s for intersystem movement once I'm there. Cooper is my destination for now, as it is the easier sector in the Event Horizon planet pack.

sJcxGVF.jpg
hoYJqd7.jpg
UkK2NpM.jpg
4vd1wa9.jpg

EDIT: After my initial burn, I let a LOT of LH2 boil-off, boosting me back from 60,000m/s to 140,000ish m/s of dV. Could have made use of it, but it's still a sub-100 year trip to Cooper. I have just now entered the black hole (Murph)'s SOI. A few thousand m/s of dV to course correct and I'm now at a close-ish encounter with Cooper... Aaaand it's done! At a very pedestrian 25,000m/s needed for a good capture burn, we're in business!

jBlIvxt.jpg

Edited by Axelord FTW

11 hours ago, Hyperspace Industries said:

I built a Go Utterly Anywhere* VTOL Amphibian, or GUAVA for short. :D 

*Limited to kerbin's atmosphere.

After it has gained enough speed with the panther engine, the three Junos can be shut down.

Wow, 3 Junos and a Panther!  That craft must have parts clipped together like crazy.

11 hours ago, Hyperspace Industries said:

Dive the submarine! :D

How did you get it to move underwater?

28 minutes ago, Jacke said:

How did you get it to move underwater?

It can only sink, the sinking comes from the sink em all mod.

As for the clipping, it's less than you might think. The three Junos are clipped into a line in the cabin, and the hinges into the side, other than that it's just the two rtgs.

Edited by Hyperspace Industries

@Jacke@Hyperspace Industries

I have to update the RCS as part stacking combined with mirroring is causing saved craft to not be able to be edited but otherwise my mod lets you make submarines that work underwater and have adjustable in the field ballast. Mod is less than a megabyte.

Will have replacement configs for the RCS up on the release thread this month.

https://spacedock.info/mod/2749/Working Underwater Lite

Well, damn. Who needs AM when you can just dump hothothot-spicy water out the back of a spacecraft? Sure, it can't carry over 60 kerbals AND a factory starter, but a full ScanSat/SpaceDust suite and six seats? Only took ten days to build, man! NSW is also relatively easy to produce compared to AM too! It's incredibly easy to control too, unlike the wet-noodle Labrador Express. This guy's mission will be to reach the greater Murph system in less than 40 years, and scan all the bodies there. All of them. Without having to refuel.

KzYa3qc.jpg

EDIT: Added a new homebrew interstellar relay antenna to my game. It's just a resized, restock-ified RA-100 with insane capabilities, but constant EC drain for operation. It's basically a full-fledged ground-based radiotelescope at this point. It might not be evident with other tweakscaled parts on this craft, but this thing's huge. HUGE! Dish itself is over 35 tons.
dsUU2AM.jpg

Edited by Axelord FTW

On 1/15/2022 at 12:00 PM, Kerb24 said:

Everything else was fine, but the debris was gone. Does anyone know how this happened?

So I had some debris today and it disappeared after it was out of physics range and I went on EVA. Found this in the KSP log:

[WRN 19:19:07.449] [Flight Persistence]: Too many vessels in scene - skipping save for Shuttle Lander Dres Debris

I found this from an old post:

There is a global setting of max debris. I don't know what the number currently means, but it used to be that, if the total number of ships+debris exceed the number, then any new debris will be automatically deleted.

So it's not just the quantity of debris that the slider sets... it's the total number of objects in your save file. I had the slider at 150 objects and I do in fact have over 150 objects (mostly flags and asteroids). So that's why it started deleting debris. It apparently is not working as intended. The Wiki description does not match reality:

Spoiler
  • Max Persistent Debris
    • Sets the max number of debris-class objects that can exist at the same time. Higher numbers mean more work for the CPU. Ranges from 0 to unlimited. Min:0, Max:Unlimited.
    • Default: 250
18 hours ago, Aerodynamic Kerbal said:

Mk2 docking port has a target and anti-target thing on it:

I just bought and used this part for the first time today and I did notice that. Weird coincidence. 

5 hours ago, Hyperspace Industries said:

It can only sink, the sinking comes from the sink em all mod.

So you go up by increasing the buoyancy?

3 hours ago, ColdJ said:

@Jacke@Hyperspace Industries

I have to update the RCS as part stacking combined with mirroring is causing saved craft to not be able to be edited but otherwise my mod lets you make submarines that work underwater and have adjustable in the field ballast. Mod is less than a megabyte.

Will have replacement configs for the RCS up on the release thread this month.

https://spacedock.info/mod/2749/Working Underwater Lite

Cool!