What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

there is something wrong with our bloody ships today.
Uxze13Oh.png
Well Minmus express who run the LKO-Mun-Minmus-out of kerbin SOI- LKO run lost half her drag plate / landing structure in orbit around the Mun, ship has done more than 5 of these trips before making this very weird. 
Had it broke during an landing it would not surprised me but during zero-g and warp? 

Has to use an enginer to jurry rig the landing platform for Minmus landing, will then need to replace the ship. 

I think what happened to the debris, was that there were 250 craft labeled as debris, and when one more piece of debris was created, the max persistent (Which I have set to 250,) debris was exceeded, and it deleted the debris. Yep, I had 250 pieces of debris.

Today I finished all my homework at school, so, I played a bit of ksp.

Spoiler

ANpIizy.png

Z1KCikL.png

Don't worry, there was nobody in the capsule.

After that, I tried flying the box a plane came in.

QCVXTZe.png

Blam, don't worry, it had a probe core, and nobody inside.

cDO2cQD.png

0Lme1vk.png

oDEUfVP.png

xZi8rO1.png

After that Katrina went for a fly in a modified aeris 3a.

9XDLVDQ.png

LKFXKqc.png

Revert to launch.

n17pQWO.png

Coming in for a landing.

NBjaB3z.png

I was aiming for the runway, but, any landing you can walk away from. :D 

I also tried multiple times to make a career save, but, every single time, kerbal renamer refused to give me Jeb, Bob, Bill or Val!

@AtomicTech You have a surnames mod, do you know what to do?

Slightly Upgraded my PC , just in case KSP 2 appears this year , so I now have............

i7-12700K , its roughly 50% faster Single core wise , Samsung 980 NVME Pro 2TB , Rog Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi D4 , Fractal Torrent PC Case . Used my GTX 1080ti with water cooling , my H150i CPU cooler now fits the LGA 1700 CPU thanks to Corsair sending me 4 new stand offs , they say it doesnt fit , but it does average temps are 29c , Corsair 850i Power Supply , 2 x 2TB SSD's and the 32 GB Ram from my old build . Oh and added 9 120mm and 2 140mm Noctua fans All going well so far :-)

We went back to Iota to rescue a Kerbal and to place the correct science instrument for a contract.

tfC8ehN.png

The kerbal is collected after an embarrassing delay due to coming out of time warp without electricity. (The engineer had to get out and push the nose around)

wymKLAz.png

We head for one of the last biomes left unvisited, kind of a chip shot to get in the 'hole'.

lJVs8Bl.png

Important science was performed.

TldVXT1.png

The view of the LZ from 500 meters away.

5sCbUWQ.png

And we home go with the science.

5KwYhR3.png

Edited by N_Danger
Grammer

I made a new 6 crew spaceplane. In the first test, it reached orbital speed below 37 km and almost burned up... perfect.

m5dsdyU.png

Second test - I tried landing this thing with full fuel on the infamous 06 runway (I think this is 06L... I can see 06C between buildings and maybe 06R south of the buildings?) 

Ended about how I expected...

PgEIjW7.png

Then back to business... delivered 4 tourists to Shuttle Lander #4, this one is waiting for a window to Dres. So it's a tour bus now to pay for those big NERVs. 

0nt3eTb.png

RAWeVaO.png

Well, that was fun... while it lasted. :huh: 

After undocking, one of the 4 engines on the lander did not work. I've had this problem twice before. When you dock to a symmetrical branch of the structure model "tree" that has an engine, it breaks a parent/ child in that branch and the fuel is cut from the engine. So many bugs... Time for bed. I'll have to try editing my savegame with KML again tomorrow. 

20 minutes ago, Krazy1 said:

the infamous 06 runway

Ha ha!  Nice try and bully for you.  +1

KSC Command Airfield Protocol clearly states that the specific purpose of R6-24 is for "aircraft carrier landing practice":)  You, sir, are a barnstormer!

You might also like R15-33, in front of the SPH doors...  (I sometimes (try to) use it after a long day flying when I can't be pooped to taxi any great distance.)

Edited by Hotel26

17 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

R6-24 is for "aircraft carrier landing practice".

There will be more attempts. But right now I've been experimenting with complex Duna - Ike orbits. I set the conic patch limit to 6.

Here's a Duna capture with a triple Ike flyby. Graphic content... 

Spoiler

W40bQgm.png

bdgoJ5K.png

Maybe I should load Principia but I have so many ships heading out to planets, I think they would miss their targets. It also changed the Jool moons for stable orbits and I have a ship heading out for a Jool 5.

Plotted an elaborate series of burns which will bring my crewed Mars ship into a low orbit ready for the landing, with its inclination matching that of Phobos and enough engine ignitions left on the main engines to reach Phobos orbit too. Also plotted the outbound trajectory for the Venus ship, which won’t be attempting a landing(!) but will spend some time in orbit and then come home again.

A pair of bored pilots couldn't resist another attempt at R06. The decided to go for 06 center this time... a bit longer but many more buildings on either side.

They took a Mk2 plane with dual Whiplashes... took off, pulled up, broke the sound barrier - vertically - finished the Immelmann, cut the throttle at 500 m/s heading west and glided down for the landing. They touched down at 70 m/s and stopped "very close" to the Mk1 statue. :P 

ksqQajT.png

On 1/2/2022 at 3:02 PM, Scarecrow71 said:

Physics Warp can save time, but if you use it you'll need to save early and often.  I cannot tell you how many times Philosopher I just decided to flip over and go flying across the terrain for no reason, causing me to have to revert to the latest quicksave.  I got into the habit of quick-saving every 5 degrees traveled.

I always set friction control to manual and set it proportional to the amount of gravity on the body (0.15 or 0.2 on Mun; 0.05 on Mimus). Lowering the value sufficiently will make you slide around everywhere instead of rolling over when you hit a bump or turn slightly at speed. It may however harm the rover's hill-climbing ability; of that I'm unsure. It also helps to have steering enabled across only one axle.

On 1/2/2022 at 3:02 PM, Scarecrow71 said:

Rovers on Minmus need more traction, both for driving and for braking.  Not sure how to get that, though; bigger/different/more wheels, perhaps?

Set traction control to override and set motor to 100%. There's no reason not to do this all the time with wheels on any planet unless you need to conserve power, since wheelslip is inconsequential traction-wise as far as I can tell (it appears to represent diminishing returns, not an actual drop in traction). For the same reason, adding more wheels is pretty much always going to provide some benefit, even if it starts becoming quite small.

The simplest way of acquiring more traction is to add weight; most useful if you have an excessive power-weight ratio and can afford to sacrifice some of it. Given the high ore yields on Minmus in your save, it may be convenient to bring ore tanks (because ore is the densest resource) and fill them up in situ, but for this to be viable you'll probably need to be using a much larger rover in the first place.

You could even have upward-facing ion engines on top of the rover to actively make it heavier. I've seen this done for a Gilly circumnavigation but with larger bodies the engines may run out of propellant long before you're done with the rover, unless you want to set up a whole supply chain for providing xenon refills.

Something else that becomes possible in Mun-or-less gravity and worthwhile in Minmus-or-less gravity is ignoring traction entirely and using an ion-engined hover vehicle. Very fun! But also very dangerous given the low TWR and high speeds.

Edited by Rocket Witch

I took a copy of my finished Caveman career and decided to use that build a space station.  In order to build said station, though, I have to upgrade buildings and go get a boatload more science.  3 trips to the Mun (all landings), 2 trips to Minmus (both landings), and 1 fly-by of Duna/Ike later, I have enough science to start building a decent-enough space station.  I've got contracts now to build stations around both Kerbin and Minmus, so I think I'll pick up both of them and then build 2 stations!

I finished my survey cone dispenser:

TkwqWBY.png

This part dispenses and retrieves survey cones, which are cargo parts that serve as survey stakes for @taniwha's Extraplanetary Launchpads (see mod link below).  With survey cones and a Sandcaster 3D printer, you can make make bases and vessels if you have Extraplanetary Launchpads installed.

The dispenser holds 10 survey cones and can field-deploy them from a stock inventory without the need for a kerbal:

CuzyQsU.png

SfrDrgs.png

JZXxvdb.png

The dispenser can also sweep up survey cones and place them back into its inventory:

OkSJKxt.png

aLE4ucw.png

For those interested, here's the link to Extraplanetary Launchpads:

Learned me some things to fight back against the kraken. The kraken’s kill list due to my mistakes is as follows:

3 Geosat 1as

Station Olympus “City in the Sky”
along with Shuttle 3  “Triumph”

RF-C Station 1 Iteration #2

Minmus Refueling Depot

All because I was an idiot with robotics. Luckily, quicksaves exist and usually help! 

I said iteration 2 because I accidentally destroyed it before, but reloaded a quicksave.

Edited by Wizard Kerbal
Rewording. A lot of it.