What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today I finished all my homework at school, so:

Spoiler

First off, I have used the classic kerbal solution to boredom, MAKE IT HARDER!

I've installed mks, deep freeze and usi LIFE SUPPORT! (DUN DUN DUNN)

XHAmPHl.png

I had to evacuate tycho, but I upgraded Hepheastus.

TzghwsQ.png

Connected living space and (as I would later conclude) simple construction weren't playing nice, so I redesigned it so that I could eva everyone into it.

haxj0u5.png

This is after undocking, but it's the only decent pic I have.

z0SEeqg.png

Kolga Kerman (the first ever to do a successful untethered eva (when I tried to send her into the sun with a nswr, and it broke) was the first to go.

1un3Lpk.png

All (I think) 9 crew had to do this, then I had to revert a quicksave and do it again.

haxj0u5.png

Weirdly suspicious crew transport caught undocking from station.

znluGJT.png

Debug set position above the pole.

0jQFyDu.png

r5bbhuA.png

Debug-dock strikes again.

rrDj6WP.png

For now we have about 88 days of habitation to figure out how mks works.

With tycho evacuated, the engineers remotely removed the rods from the reactor, and it went prompt-critical, blowing the thing up with all the debris in gaseous form.

eCHYWea.png

1 minute ago, ColdJ said:

Jeb oversaw the testing of the new prototype E.M.U.V (spacewalk chair.)

Hide contents

RF6JIjk.png5f4k6KJ.pngQoKpjQy.png

GGRuDAQ.png

oxARt9l.png

Edited just now by ColdJ

It's, it's ...

Spoiler

GLORIOUS

One minor suggestion, I think I'd look a bit better if there was more of a headrest, just the the one from the Shuttle Era.

6 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

One minor suggestion, I think I'd look a bit better if there was more of a headrest, just the the one from the Shuttle Era.

Did I mention "Prototype"? This is the bare bones, primer coat, proof of concept, with spot welds, uncompleted structural elements, no pretty panels, first to be built one. Long way to go yet. :)

1 hour ago, ColdJ said:

Did I mention "Prototype"? This is the bare bones, primer coat, proof of concept, with spot welds, uncompleted structural elements, no pretty panels, first to be built one. Long way to go yet. :)

Prototype or not, it needs cupholders.  Lots of cupholders.

Was testing an attempt at a long range spaceplane.  Just took it to orbit and brought it down while entertaining 20 Kerbals.  It turned out to be nose heavy but stabilized in the lower atmosphere and landed nicely.  That was when I discovered that the brakes didn't work.  Not at all.   It rolled for a very long time before hitting a small rise and stopping, then started to roll backwards.   Normally raising the landing gear and dropping it to the ground stops stuff from moving, but not this time.  One would think 200 tons laying on the ground at Kerbin would be pretty well stuck in place.

BtRx9Zn.jpg

39 minutes ago, Kerb24 said:

Right now, I am worried that my GILLY mission is too low on delta V.

join the Gilly Love Society! they'll help you! just see the challenges section, they should be on the first page

2 hours ago, ColdJ said:

I'd still be happy to test it!

Okay, so I was able to get the spacecraft to Kerbin without having to get out and push, it's just, I jettisoned a bunch of unnecessary items. How many? well

Spoiler

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

And

Spoiler

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Edited by Kerb24
I finally figured out how to post screenshots.

Created a brand new copy of KSP and threw all sorts of mods into it- most important being JNSQ, GPP and GEP with the latter two having a 2.5x rescale to make them (almost) match the scale of JNSQ. I plan to use this for some kind of big interstellar game and to try out various mods too, but of course as soon as I was done making it I went and did something else, in this case a second Phobos landing and some EVA exploration to get surface samples from three nearby biomes.

1 hour ago, Kerb24 said:

it's just, I jettisoned a bunch of unnecessary items. How many? well

Well, in space, anything not permanently bolted to your ship can double as propellant. No shame in a more down to earth (kerbin?) application of Newton's 3rd law when circumstances call for it.

Constructed another iteration on an interplanetary vessel, this time capable of landing on Eve. (Though it took a few tries ...) Landing on Eve feels like landing in water. It doesn't help that most of the ground is also actual water, and aiming for a particular landing spot is tricky. Maybe it would be helpful to have some wings next time?

Spoiler

The two fuel tanks on top and bottom of the main craft are left in orbit above Eve about 1/2 full, and the rest is enough to power-brake through the upper atmosphere. I found the key to be slowing down to about 2000 m/s by 50k meters altitude and 1300 m/s by 40k meters, which requried burning the main engine at full throttle pretty much as soon as things start to heat up.  

G5ZAVCt.png

E2iERDU.png

08xlQZm.png

0StLXyA.png

J7kWo6F.png

I haven't tried leaving yet so we'll see how that goes. I brought some small ground-based relay stations with rovers for exploring the surface. (Let's hope they work!)

Edited by kerboknaut

I actually fired up KSP and discovered I actually remember how to get to orbit.  And return!!  Nothing too impressive, but I haven't played in a while so it was nice to still remember what I'm doing.  I also realized this build didn't have a lot of the mods I usually used - particularly Scatterer.

Suborbital hop

gTNsBael.png

Jeb in LKO

wWPZoh0l.png

And coming home

oKJWyesl.png

15 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Where did you get these models as in who mod? 

Hi it's Kerbal Space Ponies.

https://spacedock.info/mod/352/Kerbal Space Ponies

oMaDvGj.png

gtsqNdS.png

wuQOxmw.png

It is an older mod. Can't guarantee it will work for you. I don't think (99.99 positive) it is maintained at all anymore.

I am running on Linux and my game was from the store. I don't know anything about windows, mac or steam.

You put the folder in GameData as usual but....For some reason I cannot run the game from a shortcut on the desktop.

I have to start the game from my game folder.

If I use a shortcut then the ponies appear as just regular Kerbals.

Sometime on a rescue the ponies don't appear as ponies immediately.

To get the ponies in the game they must be hired as new crew or you can edit Kerbals and rename them as ponies in the save files.

Good luck.

ME