What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I suck at planes. Can't get them to fly.

Made one today with "assistance" from my 4 year old daughter, which, as fellow parents will confirm, can drive you nuts. "Daddy do this! Daddy do that! Daddy is there gas in it? Daddy why does it have weels? Daddy you should make the wings pink!..."

Totally weird looking ugly plane. Totally worked:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Kebab Kerman said:

Made that fusion-powered SSTO.

agi676U.pngQuUT0Mn.pngi7W2B3R.png

It keeps going into a spin before I can get to an altitude the Kerbstein drives can activate at.

EDIT: Made one that actually works

ygzMxt6.png

Now that is not on Kerbin as I know it, or looks like it got captured by an gas giant Triton style and one with an very large ring system.  
Now I'm curious about the cockpit in the last image its look cool, who mod is it? 
The external magnetic controlled fusion engines in this image will not work in an atmosphere. 

2 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Now that is not on Kerbin as I know it, or looks like it got captured by an gas giant Triton style and one with an very large ring system.  
Now I'm curious about the cockpit in the last image its look cool, who mod is it? 
The external magnetic controlled fusion engines in this image will not work in an atmosphere. 

The cockpit in the last image is from the Mk3 Expansion mod, and the external magnetic controlled fusion engines actually do work in atmosphere, they're the atmospheric engines, and use fusionpellets and intakeatm to produce thrust; the central one is the vacuum one, and uses just fusionpellets. The craft is configured as such to minimize the amount of liquid fuel or oxidizer on board, and considering it requires none, I'd say I did a good job. The fusionpellets take up only 6.2 tons in total.

As for the gas giant thing, I moved Kerbin to its current orbit because I liked the view, and no other reason. I don't know where the Mun and Minmus went, but they're out there somewhere. Somehow, Kerbin also captured one of the gas giant's moons.

EDIT: Put a small station in LKO using the SSTO, a little over 11 tons.

v9xsLq9.png

Edited by Kebab Kerman

I sent off a 5 vessel mission to Moho today and something odd happened to one of the ships. This is a lander that is meant to ferry fuel from surface to orbit. It has a nice little 'balcony' below the top cabin which is built with equilateral triangles in 6-way symmetry. On it I placed 6 external command seats and above each seat a light, again using 6-way symmetry. I then removed the seat and light directly below the cabin hatch from symmetry and deleted them to make room for a ladder. So far so good:

m3jC29Ij_o.jpg

The weird thing is this, after launching it, I noticed that the lights were not straight above the command seats anymore, where I placed them. They had moved and were now offset to the seats. While camming around to see what happened I suddenly saw this:

nM5mJQkU_o.jpg

Somehow, my 6-way symmetry with 1 item removed bugged into a perfect 5 times 72 degree angle 5-way symmetry, something that's not even possible to build with angle snapping turned on. This only happened with the lights - the floor, safety fence and command seats are still exactly where I placed them, at 60 degree angles with 1 empty spot. Only the lights moved. I think it looks pretty cool, but a weird bug it is.

Today I worked on a small MicroSat for a little contract in my Career Game:

0WkWnnq.png

Includes parts for DMagic Orbital Science, antennas from BDB, and a couple ReStock parts.

Super-lightweight and as efficient as I could make it. Total weight is only 286Kg in the VAB (including a small reaction wheel + extra battery clipped in the probe core).

Edited by scottadges

4 hours ago, Beamer said:

72 degree angle 5-way symmetry, something that's not even possible to build with angle snapping turned on.

That is weird that it changed in flight. Never saw that before. But you can actually build 5, 7, 9... symmetry with Editor Extensions Redux FYI. 

7 hours ago, Jack Joseph Kerman said:

I've done it.

LY49yEI.png

Steam says I've played KSP for 562.7 hours.  But early on I started copying KSP from the Steam download directory to another and using copies launched the executable directly.  I expect my actual play is somewhere in the 1000's.

Edited by Jacke

I sent a surface probe to Niven. Hopefully not landing on the side of a mountain like the last one.

cxbwoiU.png

The booster gets us to AP with 100 m/s to circularize. I think working in the launch profile will get that reduced some for future flights.

zxcp4zB.png

We ditch the transfer stage and button up for entry.

tIpzevh.png

And we start the EDL process.

P3nG0Tj.png

Things were going good and then I realized I had no probe control. I was out of communication. So I couldn't throttle the landing engine. 

It was full or no throttle and I almost timed it right. The vessel ended up on it's side.

PYrTHDi.png

But I managed to get it upright by judicious use of SAS and the antennas. The science was collected!

LmGHWFz.png

Well yesterday was rather long and miserable - came down sick at work, got sent home just in case. Got tested, it's not the bad thing, just a cold. On the upside I had more time than usual to do Kerbal things. Sent a nuclear tanker to Minmus to pick up fuel just to prove it can be done, and finished an engine.

02ubyp5.jpg

hB5kN64.jpg

K3p4QhG.jpg

54xFwTR.jpg

e6EaMPU.png

On 1/25/2022 at 5:00 PM, Randazzo said:

The man, the myth, the Whackjob

Brother, for the last X number of years, I've been using a shadow client to use, and them's only got 12 gigs of ram.

I'm about to have a system with 32.  With an older, but still perfectly good graphics card.  My wonderful wife bought it, for my birthday, at the end of this month.  The power supply, ram, and M2 drive are coming in a couple of days.  The last parts I'll need.  I think.

Seriously, the first thing I'm going to do is build something big enough to stress test it.  Oh, and a 6 core Ryzen processor.  Nothing expensive or crazy, but it'll do.  Still a college student, but I'm at the midway point of where I want to be.  An associates degree at the end of this very semester;  It isn't much, but it's my first college something, and at my age, after this long, I'm probably gonna tear up at it.

But I'm digressing.  Anyway.  For my first build and launch and flight, I *still* want to put a 1km tall munar tower lander on that mun.

Y6TTHBz.jpg

Not a new work, just an old screenshot I saved that I still like to look  at.  I can see multiple places I can improve it all.  Within a month, and I can start again.

On 1/25/2022 at 6:56 PM, Axelord FTW said:

Myself am waiting on a case and gpu to complete my new pc. LianLi  Lancool II Mesh and MSI RTX3060, specifically.

With an i5 12600k, 32gb of RAM (3200, 16-18-18-38, CL16) this won't be a world-ending-stronk computer, but it will serve me very well. I don't tend to play new games all that much, and very rarely AAA titles marketted out the wazoo over how 'good' they look. I'm also upgrading from 1920x1080 to a 2560x1440 monitor.

Currently, I'm using a gtx1650 in a prebuilt, which is seriously bottlenecked by the i59400F in it. You can always just play with crap visuals, but you can't downgrade computational steps.

I've slowed down playing KSP in the last week in anticipation. Current modset is getting a tad too heavy, which is an issue, but only until the new PC is up.

Very nice, I hope it goes well!

23 minutes ago, Whackjob said:

Brother, for the last X number of years, I've been using a shadow client to use, and them's only got 12 gigs of ram.

I'm about to have a system with 32.  With an older, but still perfectly good graphics card.  My wonderful wife bought it, for my birthday, at the end of this month.  The power supply, ram, and M2 drive are coming in a couple of days.  The last parts I'll need.  I think.

Seriously, the first thing I'm going to do is build something big enough to stress test it.  Oh, and a 6 core Ryzen processor.  Nothing expensive or crazy, but it'll do.

Well, Happy Birthday! That sounds like a nice PC for stressing out a physics engine. :)

23 minutes ago, Whackjob said:

Still a college student, but I'm at the midway point of where I want to be.  An associates degree at the end of this very semester;  It isn't much, but it's my first college something, and at my age, after this long, I'm probably gonna tear up at it.

But I'm digressing. 

Not digressing, that's the best part. Congratulations, truly. I went after 16 years away from school and I think that gives a person the perspective to truly appreciate the institution. Took me three years, but graduated in December 2019, right before the end times started again.

I  bought a new computer, just yesterday, myself.

I actually splurged and got a gaming rig with all the cool lights and stuff - instead of just buying a bare minimums potato out of the discount bin at 'Bargain Bob's Bar, Gas, Grill & Stuff'™.

Now, I can crank up the graphics, put in some mods and not stutter around space, anymore!

And, I have to say, this game is gorgeous with actual graphics turned on.

[I actually bought this computer because I was having issued with another game but, of course, the first thing I did was download KSP when I got it hooked up.]

Jeb's first Mun landing in a new world.

Ymdaxsg.jpg

Made a 14 crew MkII SSTO that I quite like. Exchanged tourists, crew and science with shuttle-lander. Docking broke the fuel flow to the engine on the same structural branch that I docked to. So I had to hack my save file again. Happens every freaking time. This game is so buggy. 

> album <

How can I embed an Imgur album directly here? I got this

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/VH4FLPG"  ><a href="//imgur.com/a/VH4FLPG">14 crew SSTO </a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

but then what? I thought I saw that before

Edited by Krazy1

This is my Gilly Mining Rig. I was in the process of designing an Eve mission when the ground clamp was released, so I jumped on the chance to use it. The central core is a Sr docking port with a Mk2 lander can and a rockomax jumbo-64 stacked on it, it's docked to a Sr port that is anchored to the ground. The pistons are lowered to the ground and locked to prevent the structure from flexing when ships dock to the 4 docking ports on top:

5umq8jXr_o.jpg

It has a problem though. It only has 4 drills which is not nearly enough to keep the 4 refineries going, so I've been testing out some ideas to expand it. Tests show that at the local ore concentrations, with 8 more drills I can run 6 total programs consistently. That will do for now, it's meant as a hands-off design, it doesn't have to be super fast, I just want to be able to dock and get filled up without any further interaction in a reasonable time.

8 extra drills requires 4 large radiator panels, and I'll also need to have 4 additional solar panels (in sunlight) to power all that. Of course on Gilly you can famously get to orbit on a can of beans. An engineer can lift 25t without breaking a sweat in its 0.0(0?)5g so I could go the easy way and just strap all those things to the side of a tank, add an engine and probe core, land it close and wrestle with the camera and alignment controls in construction mode for a few frustrating hours to end up with something like this:

O2J98f6b_o.jpg

Well... a little less neatly because of the lack of symmetry tools, probably. This would be the safe and sensible way to do it I guess, there's not much that can go wrong in terms of procedure or construction, I've done some in-the-field building and am confident enough I can make it work. It has the drills, it has the radiators, I'm not all that happy with the placement of the solar panels, there's too much overlap, but I could probably clean that up if I moved the current panels around a bit. But... I haven't seen any expansion called "KSP: Safe and Sensible", so I figured I could go with a crazy idea:

dTNtnR5T_o.jpg

I can put that in orbit on Gilly. I can undock and move the current mining rig to the side for a while. I can then dock this to the ground anchor, remove the top tank, get awkward with the 8 hinges, 8 pistons and 4 servos to unfold it and look like this:

vOe6X0hn_o.jpg

And finally, dock the entire mining rig on top of that again so I end up with a complete build looking like this:

5uGiddmq_o.jpg

This has so many single points of failure in the procedure and construction I didn't bother to count.  I love it, 100 days to transfer window, I can't wait.

I sent Bill, Bob, and Jeb on a mission to the edge of Duna's northern polar cap to collect science from six different biomes (Science mode, hard settings).

The launch of the Duny I rocket:

Spoiler

KxdLu8Q.png

xCRmlQn.png

4uhl2HH.png

hhqI7O0.png

The Duny I spacecraft consists of a nuclear mothership carrying a science base rover, a hab module, and a descent/ascent command module to return the crew to the mothership from Duna, and land them on Kerbin later.

Spoiler

w54xPd4.png

Kerbin departure and Duna arrival:

Spoiler

CvcUsxm.png

rVjj7Mk.png

qqZn24k.png

NQ7oXMd.png

Bob and Bill descend in the base rover. The rover is equipped with parachutes and monoprop jump jets for landing and hovering.

Spoiler

MqY4W7b.png

TopouX7.png

After collecting science from all six target biomes, Jeb lands the command module to pick up the crew. Bill repacks two of the parachutes for the Kerbin re-entry and Bob transfers the experiments. They pose for a photo op before heading home. 

Spoiler

5JU0hUv.png

Thanks to my massive overbudgeting of dV (I forgot to account for the gains from leaving the rover on Duna), I'm able to capture the mothership into LKO instead of ditching it. Hope to reuse it for future missions. The command pod makes an easy descent:

Spoiler

gHNA81o.png

XRxsUYj.png

OVER 9000 science from one mission to Duna, and without a lab. Nice. 

Spoiler

uiLvDoH.png?1