What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Nothing much. Restarted my 1.12.3 game and reassembled my space station in orbit.

There was a mod I removed from the game that created all kinds of headaches, so I had to rebuild a lot of stuff in the game. So, most of last night was spent doing this:

dG1vnxU.png

qaHNG9F.png

1 hour ago, Akagi said:

All my stations end up with broken solar panels because I TP modules from orbit to rendesvous and come too close.

I admit, when it comes to docking with stations, I do two things -

• I always build stations with retractable solar panels. And I retract the panels any time there's going to be any docking or undocking maneuvers. I've learned from my mistakes. Even if the panels are no where near the docking ports, always assume the worst can happen because it usually will.
  • I admit it. I've been playing since 2012 and when it comes to docking with stations, I allow MechJeb to handle docking when I get within 150 meters of the station. If NASA can use computers to assist with docking, then it's a-okay for me to do the same thing!

But, that's just me. Can I dock manually? Yes. But when saving solar panels is important, let MechJeb do it!

9 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

I admit, when it comes to docking with stations, I do two things -

• I always build stations with retractable solar panels. And I retract the panels any time there's going to be any docking or undocking maneuvers. I've learned from my mistakes. Even if the panels are no where near the docking ports, always assume the worst can happen because it usually will.
  • I admit it. I've been playing since 2012 and when it comes to docking with stations, I allow MechJeb to handle docking when I get within 150 meters of the station. If NASA can use computers to assist with docking, then it's a-okay for me to do the same thing!

But, that's just me. Can I dock manually? Yes. But when saving solar panels is important, let MechJeb do it!

Docking is easy after a little practice, a lot easier than launching for sure (unless you're docking in an atmosphere that is). You only need 2 things, a proper alignment indicator mod, and patience. 99 out of a 100 times I see it go wrong on videos it's because of a lack of the latter :P

I do all my docking by hand and barring the odd Kraken attack (which MJ doesn't prevent) I have a perfect track record. I never really trusted MJ enough to give up control of my ships beyond executing maneuver nodes. I do account for it in station design though, I always put my extendable solar panels and radiators on the opposite side of my docking pier.

Ever tried the SpaceX ISS docking simulator ( https://iss-sim.spacex.com/ )? I take a strange feeling of pleasure out of knowing that if I ever get stuck in a Crew Dragon capsule without pilot, I'll be able to dock it perfectly on the first try :D

21 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

I'm with you on this.  I can dock manually, thanks to lots of practice and LKO kerbal rescue missions using that god-awful claw.  But I normally let MJ do the heavy lifting.  I have found that when I dock manually I burn through far more fuel than is necessary.  And we have computers, so why not let them do their job?

10 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I have found that when I dock manually I burn through far more fuel than is necessary. 

Interesting!
I haven't tried a MJ docking in years.  I always found MJ hugely wasteful of monoprop.

Perhaps that's changed in newer versions.

Happy landings!

I shuffled around some crews in the Kerbin system so I could fill up my NuKerBus Mk-1 for a trip to Duna and Ike. I've only got 8 tourists for the trip although the ship can carry 15, so I added 6 crew to relieve (some of) the Duna and Ike crews. The free seat is because I have a rescue from Ike surface that I need to haul back to KSC to close a contract. The main selling point for this luxury travel model is the festive lighting, and the fact that the tourists get to sit right on top of the Nuke engines:

ayaZR7i9_o.jpg

Always much oohs and aahs when they disembark and find they're still glowing! 54 days to transfer burn, I like to be prepared well in advance.

At this point I have 47 tourists in transit (I use a cfg file hack to triple the amount of contracts I can take) and quite some crew accompanying them, I will need to wait for several ships to return to Kerbin (2 full ships coming back in the next 150 days) and close some contracts before I'm ready to take on new tourists. After my latest few rescues I've now reached 100 crew but it's not enough yet, so I will fill that time taking on Kerbin system rescue contracts and organizing some team building flag planting excursions for new crew members.

5 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I'm with you on this.  I can dock manually, thanks to lots of practice and LKO kerbal rescue missions using that god-awful claw.  But I normally let MJ do the heavy lifting.  I have found that when I dock manually I burn through far more fuel than is necessary.  And we have computers, so why not let them do their job?

I agree with @Starhawk on this one. Mechjeb would do alot of un-needed moves on any decent sized craft as it tries to dock. The biggest problem with docking yourself is having patience. I, when I started trying to dock, was always in too much of a hurry to get docked, would come in too fast and end up bouncing off, which of course would cause both craft to go randomly spinning away from each other, once I learned to take my time and also decrease the thrust settings of the RCS once you get close, so that you have greater control of finer movement, can dock first time, every time, with far less resources wasted. One of the hardest things is getting the right camera angle to make sure you are lined up properly. There are of course mods to allow you to see from docking ports point of view. But you can also add a very small part in the right place and click aim camera on it so that you can put your view point where it is the easiest to see.

Edited by ColdJ

All my munar tower landers have the crew capsule at the lower end of the central assembly.  This is the business end of the new one I'm working on.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Main landing engines are tested and work well.

Fun fact.  Just after this screenshot, a RUD event happened.  The cause is simple:  That's a LOT of engine and a whole lot of empty soda cans it's pushing against.  The whole thing will crumple.  But, it's taking so long to calculate the mess that's about to happen, that it's still thinking it over more than a full minute later.  Screenshot coming if it doesn't crash.  Lesson's simple:  Less throttle with less mass.

EDIT:  I had to reload the game to see what happened.  Turns out, no RUD!  Instead, I'm headed out away from Kerbin and will swing close to the orbit of Moho  O_o

Edited by Whackjob

Using stock boosters as separatrons to safely shove aside my custom made boosters.

Close, but no potato.

One more set of boosters, I think, and I'll have enough power to get there and land.

Edited by Whackjob

I made a nosecone that opens
aAE2XKP.pngqdNHRjK.png
(ignore the the service bay below and probe core inside, I didn't make those, the service bay contains a docking port drive because I didn't what to use a rocket for some reason. Also these screenshots were taken before I finished the specular and normal maps)

I wasn't able to find something like this for size 1 parts, so I made my own

Edited by OrdinaryKerman

23 hours ago, Starhawk said:

Interesting!
I haven't tried a MJ docking in years.  I always found MJ hugely wasteful of monoprop.

Perhaps that's changed in newer versions.

Happy landings!

It depends significantly on the craft you've given it to dock. A poorly balanced vehicle or one with hugely overpowered thrusters leads to a lot of waste as mechjeb tries to make small corrections during docking. It will also use more if your alignment is off by a lot, such as you're facing the wrong direction on the wrong side of the target vehicle or something like that.

I sent a new type of MultiScanner satellite to Niven to map out the biomes.

uGx5tnq.png

Fairing separation.

H8QTlS6.png

And the transfer burn to Niven.

TRhMeIG.png

The satellite finishes up the capture burn.

1M1m4wh.png

And after circularizing, the scan starts.

dn6RoNl.png

After a month or 2 we should have enough biome info to plan the next crewed Niven mission.

I am utilizing the mission builder from Making History. It involves driving a bus around :P (Made mostly from Grounded Modular Vehicles mod parts). 

You know, it has been a long time since I have gone into space in Kerbal Space Program. I might make a rocket later today, or at least a plane.