What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Yesterday evening I reached that point again where I was feeling very blah about KSP and didn't even care to finish my missions in progress - so it was time to try something new. GameData and Saves folders zipped up for safe keeping, and off to CKAN. Decided on Galileos Planet Pack with Strategia installed (and of course many part mods) and WOW! This is, quite literally, a whole new ballgame.

Perhaps I should take some pictures, but I've been totally engrossed in the game and not working on any projects like I should.

Well I'm not having nearly as much fun as of last night and today - it seems all the game wants to do is freeze at every opportunity. Zone of Influence change? Freeze. Land? Freeze. Recover a vessel? Freeze. Doesn't even crash properly so no log is generated. It's a pity, I was really enjoying the new planets. Oh well... try something else I guess.

On 2/20/2022 at 4:23 PM, Curveball Anders said:

You Sir, are breaking the law!

Second law of thermodynamics to be precise ;)

Ackshully, KSP breaks the 2nd law, he is just enjoying the fruits of the pseudophysics ponzi scheme that has been foisted upon him.  But, if in atmo, it can be justified head-canon-wise as being wind driven.   Or even for a base on an airless world, if you put a big enough flywheel on it and combined with PVs one could store power when the sun shines and draw off the flywheel when in the dark.  That would not be a good rover soln though.

40 minutes ago, Randazzo said:

Well I'm not having nearly as much fun as of last night and today - it seems all the game wants to do is freeze at every opportunity. Zone of Influence change? Freeze. Land? Freeze. Recover a vessel? Freeze. Doesn't even crash properly so no log is generated. It's a pity, I was really enjoying the new planets. Oh well... try something else I guess.

How old is the heat sink grease on your CPU and GPU?  I went in circles with KSP reinstalls, mod removal, etc, trying to sort things out but is turned out to be simple CPU overtemp only when KSP was running (apparently Blender, OBS, and other stuff doesn't push it as far)

Edited by darthgently

8 minutes ago, darthgently said:

Ackshully, KSP breaks the 2nd law, he is just enjoying the fruits of the pseudophysics ponzi scheme that has been foisted upon him.  But, if in atmo, it can be justified head-canon-wise as being wind driven.   Or even for a base on an airless world, if you put a big enough flywheel on it and combined with PVs one could store power when the sun shines and draw off the flywheel when in the dark.  That would not be a good rover soln though.

How old is the heat sink grease on your CPU and GPU?  I went in circles with KSP reinstalls, mod removal, etc, trying to sort things out but is turned out to be simple GPU overtemp only when KSP was running (apparently Blender, OBS, and other stuff doesn't push it as far)

Couple years since I replaced the goop on the CPU, GPU I've never touched. I did suspect this as a possibility though, and used both MSI Afterburner and Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to monitor GPU and system temps, it's not a hardware issue.

I'm relatively certain it's an interaction between two mods but I cannot test any further because removing either one breaks the save. It's start over, or nothing.

Edited by Randazzo

1 minute ago, Randazzo said:

Couple years since I replaced the goop on the CPU, GPU I've never touched. I did suspect this as a possibility though, and used both MSI Afterburner and Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to monitor GPU and system temps, it's not a hardware issue.

Yeah, I meant CPU, not GPU as the source of my issue, but re-greased both as I had it apart.  Anyway, the lack of any log  in your case, and such a sudden hard crash is unusual for most mod issues, but the fact it happens at predicable boundaries does indicate the game, not hardware.  I missed that in my first read.  Do you have the setting to flush logs to disk immediately set?  You might get some info that way; maybe worth trying.  Then there is the old rule of thumb "what changed right before the problems?", mod/game updates, driver updates, setting changes, larger part counts on rockets, use of a part not used before,  etc.

On 2/23/2022 at 5:44 PM, Beamer said:

I found out that for some reason I couldn't transfer fuel from the mining rig to the tanker, despite the fact that the Sr docking ports that hold them together are set to enable crossfeed.

Have you docked and undocked from that port before? There's a stock bug (I believe) that breaks the parent-child connection for parts when undocking, and that beaks fuel flow. If you only need fuel transfer and your engines still work, then you could try TAC Fuel Balancer - that seems unaffected.  Otherwise, you might have to edit your savefile... every time you undock. More here at KSP Recall.

Just felt the need for playing KSP,  remembering better days.

0000.jpg

0001.jpg

0003.jpg

Spoiler
As the sun breaks, above the ground
An old man stands on the hill
As the ground warms, to the first rays of light
A birdsong shatters the still

His eyes are ablaze
See the madman in his gaze

Fly on your way, like an eagle
Fly as high as the sun
On your way, like an eagle
Fly and touch the sun (yeah)

Now the crowd breaks and a young boy appears
Looks the old man in the eye
As he spreads his wings and shouts at the crowd
In the name of God, my father I'll fly

His eyes seem so glazed
As he flies on the wings of a dream
Now he knows his father betrayed
Now his wings turn to ashes to ashes his grave

Fly on your way, like an eagle
Fly as high as the sun
Fly, touch the sun

Yeah

Fly, on your way, like an eagle
Fly as high as the sun
Fly as high as the sun
Fly, touch the sun
Fly

Fly as high as the sun

Craft is not mine https://kerbalx.com/FahmiRBLXian/Antonov-An-225-Mriya-Cossack-w-Buran

Edited by Lisias
text formatting

16 hours ago, darthgently said:

CPU overtemp only when KSP was running (apparently Blender, OBS, and other stuff doesn't push it as far)

KSP is notorious single thread hog which can lead to overheat even if the load doesn't look that bad.

Blender, OBS and most other 'heavy' software uses the cpu much more efficient.

Since I'm selected to be the humble servant of a cat I have to clean all fans in my rig every other week ...

Made a 172 meter fusion-powered battlecruiser. If you need a reference for scale, the Mk3 parts on the sides aren't scaled at all. Craft file included, feel free to download; requires BDA Runway Project, Interstellar Extended, and Tweakscale.

5WJJyKk.pngZkqgF8R.png

Craft file

Edited by Kebab Kerman

Built a gigantic spaceship, the Kilonova, and then realized how absurdly impractical a Jool-5 to-the-max would be with it. 1 kiloton, 900 parts and 12 FPS for the win. 

4lR9Jja.jpg

slOADCT.jpg

This thing is probably going to end up in my dust bin of “really cool ideas that were dropped for the sake of my CPU”.

Edited by Jack Joseph Kerman

23 hours ago, Randazzo said:

I'm relatively certain it's an interaction between two mods but I cannot test any further because removing either one breaks the save. It's start over, or nothing.

You might try the MOD+F12 cheat menu and see if easing some of the cheat settings makes a difference for test purposes.    I'm still working on my game machine so can't look right now what exact settings you might try.  I'll mention again setting the option to flush log to disk.  It will write the log to disk with no buffering so you are more likely to see something. 

A quick collect science for Iota and training mission for some new kerbals.

"Oh come on, stop screaming already. We just stated and I hope you both don't keep doing this AND DON"T TOUCH THE ABORT SWITCH!" - Mission control talking the crew off the ledge.

zIZ7Yts.png

We make it to Iota without further drama.

mQ8maBm.png

Landed got the science per contract.

SNks534.png

And returned to the SM

Kz8VDWj.png

And back to Gael

T5F9Ok1.png

And the light show is free.

a6VKysP.png