What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

41 minutes ago, Akagi said:

SRB-powered ROVERS?!

Alright listen, I didn't know what they were eh leave me alone :(

:D

EDIT: holy crap I just realized they're on backwards in that first thumbnail lol

Edited by Earthlinger

I attempted to Build a small diameter launch vehicle similar to the Scout Launch Vehicle, (The Only Difference is that the second stage of mine is liquid fueled unlike the real Scout which was all solid fuel) I even attempted to launch it at an angle like in real life. I tried using Modular Launch Pads to emulate the launch setup, while I was rotating it my mind was like Ross from Friends If anybody is not aware of what the reference is it is basically "Pivot, Pivot, PIVAHT!!" I eventually gave up and my mind ended up saying to me  "Okay I don't think it's gonna pivot anymore." 

8 hours ago, Random-E said:

Ooh! What's that mirror thingy for?

It is a piece I was using as a test to see if I could get a mirror texture to work through the model shader settings. It is a quarter of a sphere and the convex side reflects the right way up, while the concave side shows upside down. Which is correct for how a reflective object of that shape works in real life. I will see about getting a screen shot of the set up in shader settings and posting it in the thread. I will put a link to the thread here for anyone who is curious.

Edited by ColdJ

2 hours ago, ColdJ said:

It is a piece I was using as a test to see if I could get a mirror texture to work through the model shader settings. It is a quarter of a sphere and the convex side reflects the right way up, while the concave side shows upside down. Which is correct for how a reflective object of that shape works in real life. I will see about getting a screen shot of the set up in shader settings and posting it in the thread. I will put a link to the thread here for anyone who is curious.

Very cool!

hKFAH4H.png

Oypnut8.png

Ar8GKRI.png

6yupFbu.png

A quick Molniya kitbash. Mostly Tantares, with a few other mods thrown in. I couldn't find out any real information on the upper stage of the Molniya rocket (the stage inside the fairing) from a quick search, so I pretty much just had to guess at what it might look like; if anyone has any documentation about it I'd appreciate having that sent my way since I'd like to see if I can make a somewhat more accurate kitbash, even though Tantares doesn't actually have parts for the upper stage.

8 new recruits on a team building trip. My Minmus lander only carries 7 but my station had some space in the fuel tanks, so I sent my tanker along with it for an extra 2 seats:

T711Itl7_o.jpg

In the background (ltr) the "Rock o' Max", a fuel depot/highrise living sponsored by Rockomax Corp, the Jeb's Junkyard Bike Garage/Workshop, and the main Jeb's Junkyard spire flanked by its rovers. In the foreground my mobile refinery, the tanker, Ferford Kerbin planting a flag, and the 7 seat lander.

I've also done the transfer burn for my Pol convoy, all night side burns unfortunately. The tanker with the rig attached, 1 Rhino and 6 Wolfhounds:

VxZOELwE_o.jpg

5 Vectors on the station segments:

3fFjMzlH_o.jpg

And a single Rhino for an orbital tug with a crew transporter/lander on top:

DEPNx08H_o.jpg

About a year to their plane correction burn, then 2 more until arrival.

5 hours ago, Jack Joseph Kerman said:

2022: A Laythe Odyssey

(AKA basically the boat version of the Odyssey rover and totally not named this because Laythe kinda rhymes with space)

Love the parasols, I will steal that idea at some point :)

Repeated the Moon orbiter launch that failed last time, everything worked fine second time around and the probe is now in orbit of the Moon gathering all the science it can, while the upper stage successfully crashed into the Moon for science and profit.

I also lost my two remaining Kerbals to retirements, but hired two more to replace them; I just realised as I write this that the new crew will be going for training on an orbital pod- Mercury or Vostok- so now there’s nobody that can fly my rocketplanes.

Started building a 1200 meter space dreadnought instead of sleeping, and as it turns out even with only 135 parts it takes, without exaggeration,  fifteen minutes to launch for some reason. Trying to figure out what to arm it with without giving it a part count higher than ~350, but so far my only idea is to spam airborne lasers.

Vw1jK6h.pngs9Fw7Kj.pngyhRtv4h.png

Currently measures about 1150m by 170m by 240m. If anyone has any idea as to why it takes so long to load after pressing launch and how it might be fixed, I'd love to hear it.

Edited by Kebab Kerman

1 hour ago, Kebab Kerman said:

If anyone has any idea as to why it takes so long to load after pressing launch and how it might be fixed, I'd love to hear it.

I have no idea but if it's Tweakscaled it could be physics interactions that are messed or blown way up, such as air resistance and part-part rubbing. But that might not even be possible, I'm just saying the first thing that comes to mind.

Anyways on my end I made a couple of planes yesterday, and today I gave them mohawks. Now they're airpunks:

If you're wondering why they look a little bit like fish it's because the entire body sans the wings is actually a small boat that I looked at and thought 'hey this could fly.' So I put some wings on it and hey look it does actually fly. And pretty well too. Moderately long range and maneuverable, though admittedly a bit heavy and prone to flipping endlessly whenever the AI lays its grubby hands on the controls. Still gotta work on that...

So I'm working in one of my career saves, and I'm about to land on the Mun.  Again.  Need the funds from the contract, so what can I say?  Anyhow, I never noticed this before:

hbJyq0X.png

Apparently, the Riddler lives on the Mun in the East Crater.  I'm going to land where the dot would be...

...and I overshot it.  Might have to make another trip to see what's up here.

22 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

So I'm working in one of my career saves, and I'm about to land on the Mun.  Again.  Need the funds from the contract, so what can I say?  Anyhow, I never noticed this before:

hbJyq0X.png

Apparently, the Riddler lives on the Mun in the East Crater.  I'm going to land where the dot would be...

...and I overshot it.  Might have to make another trip to see what's up here.

I always thought...

8BALL-2T.jpg

Today in KSP I decided to get back into KSP... I first got the game in I think 2014 and had a good tinker...but I've not really played it since then. I now see we're at a final version pre-KSP 2.0 (the trailer for which made me cry...)

Currently trying to decide what modlist to play with and get my head around all the insane changes that are now in stock! There are hinges now?! Kerbal Alarm Clock is now stock?! Everything looks so much better (even on my terrible old laptop).

I'm coming to post in this thread because honestly this seems to be the one of the most active threads on the forums and I'd quite like to be a part of the community.

8 minutes ago, Andrew Jolly said:

Today in KSP I decided to get back into KSP... I first got the game in I think 2014 and had a good tinker...but I've not really played it since then. I now see we're at a final version pre-KSP 2.0 (the trailer for which made me cry...)

Currently trying to decide what modlist to play with and get my head around all the insane changes that are now in stock! There are hinges now?! Kerbal Alarm Clock is now stock?! Everything looks so much better (even on my terrible old laptop).

I'm coming to post in this thread because honestly this seems to be the one of the most active threads on the forums and I'd quite like to be a part of the community.

Hello there.

We also have fun in the Lounge and discussion threads too.

Most people think it is many mods that slow your load times and consume your RAM but really it is what a mod contains that does it. If you start with mods that just add in some useful functions then you will barely feel it. I recommend "WASD camera tools" as it makes building in the Hangar and VAB so much easier. I am sure there will be others with long lists of their favourites. Mods with a high part count are what slow you down as they all get loaded at the start whether you need them or not. It is good to look and see if there are parts you don't think you will ever use and remove them out of Gamedata and into a holding folder outside that has the same internal folder structure so that you can always easily find and pop them back in if you want.

Good luck with your builds.

Welcome (back) @Andrew Jolly, yes hinges! As it happens I just gave them a little workout, see below :)

So my idea to extend my Gilly mining rig arrived, here some pictures of the arrival and assembly. I've spoilered them because there's quite a lot.

Spoiler

Arrival at Eve, a pretty picture:

34zccECo_o.jpg

And on to Gilly, not so pretty:

4nhoebhY_o.jpg

Undocking the original mining rig from the ground-anchored Sr docking port and parking it a few dozen meter to the side on its pistons:

aFCQDHyr_o.jpg

Landing and docking the extension. The night docking is not an issue for me, I always do my docking almost entirely on instruments:

iQVzaVdI_o.jpg

I waited for daylight before continuing though, the next steps need to be precise and it makes better pictures. First removing the tank:

ZpgyBewt_o.jpg

I will get back to that one later... Next step, unfolding the extension, double hinge action! I did end up attaching a considerable amount of fuel cell arrays for night refining:

VyXEZKaL_o.jpg

Hinges fully unfolded and supporting pistons extended and locked in place, it is time to park the rig back on top again and dock it:

8CIbcgkm_o.jpg

Finally, lowering the pistons, unfolding all the antennas, solar panels and starting up the 12 drills and 4 refineries, it all fits and works beautifully:

7veBEHgR_o.jpg

Remember that Jumbo-64 tank? Well we can't let that litter up space of course, and as it happens I still have a seismic contract for Gilly. So... BOOM!

RW3RGVFF_o.jpg

Yes I still use the Alarm clock mod, because it's just better than the stock :)My NuKerBus Economy Class with Jeb behind the stick arrived at Eve at the same time with a full load of tourists, so it will be the first to test the refueling action:

YiGpb4KR_o.jpg

Everything worked perfectly as designed, when does that ever happen?!

[JAXA+] With an unlimited space budget, Japan launches the HZSS (H-Z Space Station), also known as Kibo-2. It is a wet workshop using the 13.9-meter-diameter H-Z first stage, with an initial on-orbit mass of 467 tonnes.

The orange foam insulation is coated with a white sealant to protect it from popping in the vacuum of space. The initial crew of three rides a crewed version of the HTV-X cargo spacecraft.

5QQqmfi.png

C9jBtrQ.png

32 minutes ago, darthgently said:

A mod that made put C H A in large letters on Mun would be fun.  Fans of the original Tick cartoon will understand

Guilty :s

Spoiler

CgxdFgDw_o.png

I loved how every shot of the moon later on in the show would have that 'defacement' but I always wondered how he was going to fit his whole name on there  writing that large...