What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

48 minutes ago, Beamer said:

Guilty :s

Reveal hidden contents

CgxdFgDw_o.png

I loved how every shot of the moon later on in the show would have that 'defacement' but I always wondered how he was going to fit his whole name on there  writing that large...

I think the point was to get everyone to wonder that.  Evil villains never think ahead far enough.  If they did, they probably wouldn't be so evil, lol

It wasn't intentional, but all my new military craft have ended up with mohawks.

vsUDp2l.png

7i8Laxp.png

I haven't yet come up with a definitive name for the big boat things. Anyone have any ideas? The small ones are probably going to end up being fishpunks, and the plane either airheads or something along the lines of airpunks.

o7jxeQ6.png

QweQQxY.png

A training mission was sent up.

xH6iijY.png

It is off to Iota first for the scientist to get experience.

rUHEDRp.png

While they are there, they complete a worlds first. Docking with a lander left over from another mission.

Tp7VPwu.png

Then it is off to Ceti for the pilot.

rRnWZRB.png

In orbit for just long enough to get the experience.

JyNicYV.png

And then the two crew members return to Gael with a new star each.

ISQ8EdL.png

Today, day 412 of year 5 marks the first day that I have 4 star crew available in the Kerbin system. I've had 4 star crew for quite a while, but they all earned their 4th while 'on assignment' and haven't been back yet since. It's also the day my first interplanetary tourist returned safely to Kerbin surface. I've brought plenty back from Mun, Minmus and Kerbol orbit but this one came from Eve/Gilly. Unfortunately I can't close the contract yet and get the reputation reward because one of her travel partners wants to go to Duna/Ike too, but the money has been paid. :D

I accepted a juicy new contract:

ldSpAWu2_o.jpg

I figure if I build something that can do Kerbin-Moho, and can get down to and back up from Duna surface without parachutes, it should be able to do the rest too. I have refueling stations at every stop. This is what I came up with, simple enough, I did a test run on Duna and had no trouble putting it down and back up to 200km orbit with fuel to spare. The separate tank is to carry extra fuel for the hard transfer burns, it will stay at the local refueling station while the probe does its landing:

ehBO4aWd_o.jpg

My Ultimate Gilly 6 Voyage probe (fly-by of Mun, Minmus, Duna, Ike, Gilly and finally crash on Kerbin) is on its last leg, around 1.5 years left to go to Dres after which I can set it on its crash course. It's nice to have another long term challenge to replace it.

Another flag-planting team building activity for new recruits. I'm not much of an easter egg hunter but lately I've been sending these trips to mysteries on the Mun and Minmus, just to clear them off the map :) They came across one of the new ones, too bad my science tree is already completed:

Spoiler

GxDynK8b_o.jpg

Don't try this at home.

x8vD5qw.png

Taking off this way rather than cheating to orbit gives you time to read a novel.

aFkzBVf.png

I have been repairing and rebuilding this older model, mine has a hangar bay and here is a Millenium falcon parked in it.

S1RxhNe.png

The hangar bay is about the size of the SPH which looks interesting when you are building it.

owWK1Gu.png

I adjusted the orbit of my biome mapping satellite around Niven to a higher orbit to act as a relay satellite now that the science mission is done.

WDOttPi.png

Sent a copy of that satellite to Tellumo to map it's biomes.

kIuZoih.png

And here we see the arouras of the south pole and the rings of Tellumo

P7vE43Z.png

20 minutes ago, spacejet said:

I only loaded this today I didn't build it.  The file says I made it in 2015. Phew I had no idea it had had been so long. The community doesn't need another one of these but i night re do it anyway for myself. 

ME8FAOB_o.png

The Cylons could re-emerge at any time.  We need as many of these as we can get

In the "You Can't Win Them All Department"...

Just ending a 3-day long weekend which -- although it was far from enjoyable -- has finished OK (I hope).

Following a behind-the-scenes module update(???) on Feb23rd, scene changes and quick saves were crashing with little evidence in the log except sometimes normal log messages "Saving Achievement Tree".  Nothing to identify a culprit.

(I've been working on this "world" since January 2018 (4 years), so you can imagine my life has been flashing before my eyes.  Ouch.)

I've been wrestling with this all weekend and, after doing lots of system maintenance, it's all suddenly come good: which is entirely consistent with some transient, erroneous mod update.

Not much point in posting this except that if anyone else out there chimes in "me too", I know I will feel better.

Call that the "Misery Loves Company Department".  Or the "All's Well That Ends Well Department". 

Edited by Hotel26

So, I abandoned my 4x rescale game.... to try a 6.25x scale game. I had previously tried a reusable 3x launcher on 6.4x without payload, and found that it worked pretty well - so it was no surprise that my >105 ton launcher for 4x worked well on 6.25x (doing 6.25x rather than 6.4x because its a nice even 2.5x multiplier to orbital periods, and thus its easy to change rotation periods to maintain tidal locking).

First attempt got to orbit, but I failed the reentry of the first stage: (apologies for everything at night)

Spoiler

uHPM7DB.png

Looks good, but I didn't shift the remaining fuel properly... Aoa went too low:

WsaqUXX.png

and it was torn apart by aero/G forces:

uGxi1zT.png

Before tryin again, I made a small scal probe launcher for 6.25x:

Spoiler

gj6mAjC.png

It also didn't survive re-entry... it was squirly, and flew worse than my large plane... I didn't bother to try again (I will later), instead, I went ot have another shot at the heavy launcher:

Spoiler

Climbing nicely... aero effects are making it easily visible despite being night:

LubxxOd.png

must go faster and higher:

TRbjjmn.png

even faster and higher:

BVbXLBh.png

Can't ask any more of the air breathers, going closed cycle:

iPQDaoc.png

Nearing first stage burnout, and 3km/s over the surface:

aIJ7hOA.png

Stage separation completed:

JahhR7b.png

Checking orbital parameters of the first stage, its nearing apoapsis and the 2nd stage still has nearly 1400 m/s to go:

IFCkizc.png

orbital insertion completed (Ap 152 km, Pe 77km), 2nd stage is still 94km high:

51VgkBf.png

Shifted the fuel very far back, a bit too far back actually:

uZbOqHL.png

It slowed down very well though, but was very badly stalled, and started a tailslide, but it didn't exceed the airframe limits. Some fuel transfer and an engine restart got things back under control:

t6hySXy.png

It was took longer than I planned to fly back to base, particularly with it tending to nose down a lot under 4x physical warp, and frequent signal loss due to plasma blackout

I ended up overshooting the runway, and had to land on the grass, turn around, and taxi back:

CnMOgUL.png

Still >3k (and I could have optimized better on the way back using fuel balance for trim rather than control surface deflection, among other things), from an original 9.9k, so I think I can safely remove some LF and add some oxidizer to get better performance.

Anyway, the end result was the 2nd stage got to orbit with over 40 tons of spare fuel, and there was a good margin between when the 2nd stage achieved orbit, and when I needed to get back to the first stage, so I think this 100% recoverable system should work for a career game at 6.25x:

YD7ho2P.png

Heck, that 2nd stage could even do a munar flyby I think...

Anyway, I am thinking of doing a career game where I start with all tech unlocked, all buildings unlocked. Then I will install KRND, and use science to upgrade parts... KRND in stock solar system is just ridonculously OPd, but I think at 6.25x, it should be a good balance.

I became Erusea.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

The parts for the main body and propellers are not mine, and are made by Colonel Cbplayer. I merely assembled it in the latest version, replacing any missing parts, and modifying the propeller parts.

Edited by Kebab Kerman

2 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Or the "All's Well That Ends Well Department".

Glad to hear it started working again. Better make a wholesale backup of that install so you have a recent last-working-good situation to fall back on if it were to happen again.

I can somewhat say 'me too', except it wasn't with KSP: mine happened with Euro Truck Simulator 2. My nephew wanted to try remote convoy with the laptop he got from his parents, so I went and reinstalled it, downloaded my old cloud saves, and we had a fun few hours. The next day I still had the bug and sat down to run a few more deliveries, and suddenly the game kept crashing every time I tried to go into driving mode, telling me it detected mods and that might be the cause. Except, I specifically did not install mods on that profile because I had already lost a long playthrough before due to mod incompatibility after game updates.

Spent the weekend unsuccessfully trying to remember and figure out how I had somehow managed to activate a mod, which one it was, and how to restore the working situation. Was almost resigning myself to having lost a 112 hr save and starting over, when one last look at the support forums turned up a post saying that the culprit may be a recent change to the Steam client's controller code, and to try disabling Steam input. Just like that, it loaded up the last save again. In the mean time, Steam seems to have updated again to solve the issue they caused.

So yeah, totally different game, but I know the feeling. Not sure if your KSP install can at all be affected by the Steam controller thing, but that could be one explanation.

Last night, I decided that I needed an escape pod for my cargo vessel. It holds a crew of four.  And I'm glad to say the design works:

t05Jk0r.png

wtSsvAz.png

oGoEyeH.png

PcxO0D6.png

I2a2Sab.png

G6Upv0x.png

NBgs7IA.png

2m1zRft.png

As you can see, the test was successful. The crew was safely evacuated. There's enough snacks on board, thanks to @Angel-125's Snacks! mod to hold them over if they were in a place where they had to stay in the escape pod in space for a week. :cool:

Anyhow, I wanted to see if it would survive reentry in Kerbin's atmosphere. And it did.

Conquered Devil's tower!

Devil's tower is the highest rock tower west of the KSC. It has near vertical cliffs on all sides. I decided to climb it with a rover.

JcYTTGy.png

my first design was very diminutive; to climb such steep walls it is necessary to have a very high wheel/mass ratio.

Qnutk2i.png

that little buggy could indeed keep climbing at angles higher than 70°

Pk8idhx.png

unfortunately, it became unstable. steering wouldn't work anymore, and the only control was with a reaction wheel. but as soon as it deviated a bit from the ideal inclination, it would flip, and there would be no recovery. I tried many times, once I even got close to passing the steepest section, but to no avail.

GzoEpDN.png

So I made a larger version, to get a wider base while trying to keep the same wheel/mass ratio

kUPYI0h.png

The main advantage of this new version is that it can recover from flipping. if I brake and activate the reaction wheels and throttle forward, I can stop the rover on the cliff after it's already started falling.

7fOIxlE.png

it's difficult driving; I can't use only SAS on the reaction wheel, because I have no lateral control - steering fails when the cliff gets too steep, don't ask me why. If I drive without the reaction wheel, the front of the rover will lift and flip. If I drive with the reaction wheel, the back of the rover will lift, and it will lose traction and slip.

I found the optimal balance in driving with the wheel on, but deactivating it for one second every time the back starts lifting.

Uxdez2E.png

so i could climb up and up

8yA7PPP.png

there was nothing after that angle, and I found myself suspended over the void. Luckily, the rover could grip the rocky wall and stop its fall.

and finally climb the last crest

tn9CvF8.png

the view is amazing. Devil's tower is probably the most vertical place in all the kerbol system outside of polar glitches

Op2WEbl.png

KX5Irxv.png

13 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

Devil's tower is probably the most vertical place in all the kerbol system outside of polar glitches

It depends a lot on your terrain detail settings.

I've been up there as well, settings on highest terrain detail, and while it does have very steep sections, it doesn't have the sharp breaks I see in your screenshots. The transitions are much smoother, which helps when driving a rover up there.