What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

9 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

and finally climb the last crest

Nice job, I always make a point of doing a close fly-by of that peak when I land a space-plane, it is quite impressive. At the risk of making you do a "why didn't I think of that" faceplant... I would just have slapped a few downward pointing RCS thrusters on it, or is that against the rules? :D

10 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

I found the optimal balance in driving with the wheel on, but deactivating it for one second every time the back starts lifting.

If you have Breaking Ground then some ducted fans that push you down on to the surface once you are climbing will allow your craft to keep grip.

That is how I used to climb the VAB. Here is an old shot.

IJFyPSY.png

MpBtDt1.png

Edited by ColdJ

Lamenting the tyranny of the rocket equation: landing a 200kg probe on the Moon requires 1000kg of braking stage, which requires nearly 5 tons of lunar transfer stage, which even 150 tons of launch rocket can’t currently put into orbit (and I don’t have a launchpad that can take the weight anyway). Each engine can only be started once, which makes things much harder.

However, there’s a new engine coming that can be started a whopping two times that might solve these problems, or if I shift my research priorities I could get one with five ignitions instead; maybe by then I’ll build a launchpad capable of launching the thing.

8 hours ago, Beamer said:

Nice job, I always make a point of doing a close fly-by of that peak when I land a space-plane, it is quite impressive. At the risk of making you do a "why didn't I think of that" faceplant... I would just have slapped a few downward pointing RCS thrusters on it, or is that against the rules? :D

8 hours ago, ColdJ said:

If you have Breaking Ground then some ducted fans that push you down on to the surface once you are climbing will allow your craft to keep grip.

That is how I used to climb the VAB. Here is an old shot.

IJFyPSY.png

MpBtDt1.png

I considered both options, but i wanted to try with wheels alone.

now, the rooftop of the vab... much less impressive than devil's tower, but an actual vertical surface. yep, for that you need rockets or propellers.

Spent 4-5 hours trying to get a welded drone to work, and kept getting disappointed every time as it launched, rolled 90 degrees, and became borderline uncontrolable every single time. I've no idea why it does this, or how to fix it, but I'm very frustrated. I removed any lift and drag to zero, and it still does it and I've no idea why. My only other option is to set the reaction wheel torque to something like 5,000, but that makes it unreasonably maneuverable so I can't really do that.

Anyway, I've been experiencing long craft loading times on craft with parts that have been scaled up to large sizes (50m, 5000%, etc.) If anybody has any ideas, I'd love to hear them, because I'm getting tired of 20-30 minute load times for craft that have only 200-300 parts. I suspect it might just be physics calculations, but if there are any mods that might conflict with tweakscale or cause this, please let me know.

Now, for something that isn't an issue I'm having with the game: I made a missile cruiser. It has 267 parts, 216 of which are HE-KV-1 missiles, that somehow all launch fine without getting stuck.

NWMN8Gk.pnghxgUUwJ.pngrSxQVQx.pngG6Oc656.png

Edited by Kebab Kerman

6 hours ago, Echo__3 said:

Today I built an autogyro

Question: When I built a pusher version of an auto gyro last year, I had to have 2 counter rotating ducted fans in order to neutralise the motor torque trying to roll the the craft. Have you somehow got passed that or were you fighting to keep it level the whole time?

3 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Question: When I built a pusher version of an auto gyro last year, I had to have 2 counter rotating ducted fans in order to neutralise the motor torque trying to roll the the craft. Have you somehow got passed that or were you fighting to keep it level the whole time?

The rotation of the top blades causes uneven lift. This causes the craft to roll. So by having the engine torque rotate the craft in the opposite way, the forces mostly cancel out. Trimming yaw and roll helps fine tune things. For the video I used SAS since I can't see the trim indicators with the UI hidden. I also flew the craft with a joystick, and that helps with control too.

Made the missile cruiser shorter because of part count.

ggLHgkr.png

Also made a frigate. It has 4 127mm guns, 12 anti-missile lasers, two Goalkeeper point defence systems, four unguided rocket turrets, and two 36-cell VLS systems.

vUeAVIW.png

Edited by Kebab Kerman

Made a supermaneuverable UAV. It carries five missiles, a reloadable rocket rack, and a 20mm cannon, can pull 70g maneuvers, recover from any stall in a single turn, flip itself backwards in-flight, perform post-stall maneuvers, and is capable of supersonic flight. It's on my KerbalX page if you want to download it for yourself. Oh, and it's also powered by antimatter.

QyAXrSC.pngxdiBjGs.pngeOKtdVz.png

38 minutes ago, Kebab Kerman said:

Made a supermaneuverable UAV. It carries five missiles, a reloadable rocket rack, and a 20mm cannon, can pull 70g maneuvers, recover from any stall in a single turn, flip itself backwards in-flight, perform post-stall maneuvers, and is capable of supersonic flight. It's on my KerbalX page if you want to download it for yourself. Oh, and it's also powered by antimatter.

QyAXrSC.pngxdiBjGs.pngeOKtdVz.png

How h*cking big is your mod list?! That's- that- wow. I can't fathom your KSP load times...

30 minutes ago, Second Hand Rocket Science said:

How h*cking big is your mod list?! That's- that- wow. I can't fathom your KSP load times...

I have no idea, probably 40- to 50-something, but this aircraft uses only two mods. My loading time is around 10 minutes, so it goes by pretty quick. It used to be 22 minute load times with ~128 mods; the only load times that are longer are the launch times of certain large craft, though in fairness I did scale the parts on those craft up to 100m diameter and 5000% size, so it's understandable that they take so long.

I've no idea how to stop it from taking that long, but someone else managed to load one such craft in 30 seconds, whereas it took me 30 minutes. When I look at the logs, it shows a crap ton of NREs about "BDArmory.core.module.hitpointtracker" having a null value, but I have no idea how to fix that, so there isn't much I can do. If it isn't that, then I suspect it's probably physics calculations.

Edited by Kebab Kerman