What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

18 hours ago, spacejet said:

Awesome graphics. I have a baseline NVidia in this laptop. I wonder what you have @panzer1b

I have a 3yr old msi budget gaming lappy, and it works fine (the GPU isnt great, i think its a 1050), i mostly got it cause it was cheap (at least for a gaming laptop at like 900 bucks), and had a very good CPU for its time (2nd best CPU you could get in any laptop on the market at least at that time, i cared more about the CPU as i can usually live with turning down gfx settings a tad as needed, laggin to death in games like my RTSs with 1000s of smaller units all calculating at the same time what they are shooting at and well KSP with its physics processing isnt my cup of tea).  And as for graphics, its not that much processing power to do it.  I mean i do take the worst FPS hit to run scatterer+EVE (at least my SciFiVE mod isnt as terrible on the framerate as SVE or other other popular cloud packs, its actually quite well optimized all things considered), and the rest of my mods dont really eat much frames.  I mean waterfall seems to make certain engines less laggy (its more optimized aslong as you disable the more intensive distortion and lighting options), the rest arent visual mods.  Better time warp, vessel switching, trajectories, persistrotato dont really eat any frames (prolly trajectories is the worst but i dont need it to render and calculate all the time, just when im planning my aerobrakes).  That and texture replacer, also doesnt seem to eat any frames solong as you disable the reflections on the helmets the kerbins wear.  The skybox is what i really like about tex replacer (fps hit is irrelevant so i even take advantage of the face randomization which makes the kerbins feel a bit less like clones).  Restock is also a bit laggier then stock, but with how good the vast majority of restock's parts look, i just cant not use it, although i only installed base restock and not the one with all the extra parts added to it which arent all that useful for the types of ships i like to build, but maybee ill give it a try as it does have some neat small scale parts that stock simply lacks like variants of the oscar-b tank and others.

THusvs1.png

Anyways, the skybox i have right now is from this post

One of the nebula ones that i recolored (i like the default blue it comes with, but i kinda wanted something more reddish/orangish for whatever reason so i changed it) and upped the resolution to 4096 since even just a resize and tiny bit of post processing takes away the pixelation for the most part everywhere.  I just wish the original creator made it in 4096x4096, as there is still some pixelation i was unable to remove entirely.  Still, its not for everyone as this skybox is FAR from realistic, and looks nothing like the night sky around the earth in the dimension i live it, i just for some reason think sticking kerbin deep within a nebula is a cooler spot for it then in the middle of some generic run of the mill galaxy vaguely resembling the milky way. 

669391e40baec4b9224cf08c69ea9091-1000.jp

Visually speaking, the only other mod id love to have (but to my knowledge noone has ever made something of the sort) would be something that creates a truly massive epic scale dense asteroid field that would be perfect for flying through, evading the roids, battles, or even making a starbase attached to the potatos.

3hP519r.png

ZJ4PnSe.png

Closest ive ever gotten to such a concept is my attempt at replicating omega station from ME, and i actually used offset tool tricks with some claws to simulate a tight group of roids around the station.  Problem is, it takes ages to setup even with teleporting teh roids to the station, and has some major instability issues tht result in the station ripping itself apart on occasion (saving often and loading will mitigate this somewhat but its still super annoying when it happens).

5owxFYB.png

in other news, im setting up a massive ground complex on Ike that will span around 20km (the base modules will be spread out for both lag decreasing and to allow for a nice overlapping field of fire for all the missile batteries im installing.  Im also redoing my orbital defense cannon (while i was a huge fan of the inital design i made and actually think that looked better then all the modernized versions, it was limited to very short missiles (which do barely any damage under 1.12 physics), and was basically IMPOSSIBLE to reload like ever (it had docking ports but i never succeeded in rearming even a single hardpoint due to being super cramped).

ImAitsl.png

Thats what the original looked like(laggy, useless missiles with not even the dV to reach orbit on anything beyond minmus and too light to hurt squat in 1.12 physics).

8w5yjtb.png

And thats my current WIP iteration, different style (alot smaller) but i actually think i like what i did, simplicty sometimes makes things look good actually (and i still kept the signature energy conduits going from the ground to the side of the weapon like the old one had).  I might make a heavier variant with some more stuff on the sides, but sofar i like ti as a sorta of a more mass produced plop down anywhere sort of orbital defense cannon not quite as elaborate as the old one which was more like a small ground facility to go with said weapon system.

Well anyways, im prolly gonna be away for a bit now as i have alot of rl work the next few days, but maybee ill get some time lateron.  For some reason i just havent been in the mood to pay any other game but KSP when i actually have the time to play games, so i got quite a bit more progress done recently...

I think its time to finally get to duna but I need to grab my important kerbals that somehow by accident landed near the KSC so I'm said rover out and get the miner up to KIV Duna and finally get this duna mission done with kerbalism like to keep things short.

A while ago I posted a picture of an exploded vehicle deep underwater and mentioned that I was building an ornithopter. It was this vehicle which is designed to test stuff underwater. I thought that maybe flapping wings could be viable as underwater propulsion (it's not. it explodes instantly). In this picture I'm using it to test tech for controlling buoyancy and hopefully recreating a bug I once summoned which allowed me to stretch a piston limitlessly.

The pistons have their force % turned to zero so that they extend when the thing they're attached to wants to float and retracts when it sinks. I'll have to do another run to seriously attempt to recreate the stretchy piston bug, probably with one of the weaker, skinnier pistons.

i08J8Ck.png

Edited by Zacspace

1 hour ago, spacejet said:

Please keep the community informed on this

Hah! Will do, but I was secretly hoping somebody who'd been down this road before would chime in and save me the trouble.

I don't know how far you've looked into submersible stuff in KSP already, but in case it's "not at all" I'll let you know that the way to make things sink efficiently is to pack them into a fairing or cargo bay. It'll be considered by the game to have the volume of only the containing part, but the mass of all parts combined. You add a dash of part clipping and it's easy to see how you can get some very high density. If you open/deploy your containing part all your parts get their volume back, so you can control buoyancy that way.

The reason I'm experimenting with it despite knowing how it works already is because I want to do it without having to add a bunch of parts just for buoyancy control, and instead use stuff the vessel was already going to need on it like fuel cells (in the screenshot, one of those service bays has 40 large fuel cells. they work great) and I also want to keep it looking reasonably good. "The vessel" in this case being an as-yet-unbuilt one, not the rover I showed off. That rover can stay ugly.

Edited by Zacspace

Earlier that day on the press conference before the announced launch of the worlds first satellite:

"The last decade progress in the automation and rocket science allows for synergy between the two, opening for new and exciting opportunities in space exploration, totally safe for Kerbals"

Later that same evening.

"800 casualties and climbing as one of the the rocket's four booster engine failed and rocket slammed into the VAB factory instead of going to the stars...."

wNO4yZF.png

Started planning for Rald colonization in my 6.25x game:

A simple shuttle, with a cargo bay that an engineer can put seats in, extra fuel tanks, science, etc

FptZi6m.png

NkKqXT1.png

But margins were low, and after I finish modding the system, fueling craft in orbit will come only from Duna or Rald (Ike gets booted to the asteroid belt). Duna is.... not ideal for atmosoheric flight and landing the fueling ships.

So I started working on a 2 stage solution for Rald, that can take more mass to orbit reusably:

3aeKydl.png

It needs to get over 150 m/s to take off, I'm hoping it will be more docile on landing, when tanks are empty (it does haev a lot of wing area). The thin air required using the closed cycle mode to lift it off the ground after it got airborne a little after a bump.

kumrDZ9.png

8MKSmqs.png

Then I switched to testing on Kerbin, and trying to make a fully reusable (as opposed to recover at 100%, and launch a new craft from the SPH). cargo vessel based on it.

Stage separation:

y0Es6eY.png

Its not really meeting performance goals at the moment.

@Zacspace

If you are wanting to try submarines then these 2 mods make life easier.

https://github.com/Angel-125/SunkWorks/releases

https://spacedock.info/mod/2749/Working Underwater Lite

After 1.10.1 they changed and mucked up a few things that made my kerbal Buoyancy system less efficient so @Angel-125's Scuba diving system is better. My mod is mostly configs to make new parts out of stock so it is only about a megabyte. A combination of the 2 mods gives you lots of options. Angel-125's Buffalo mod also has nice marine engines to use.

There is a glitch in the part stacking in my marine nacelles that after launch stops them from being able to be re-edited. I have built replacements but have not released as I didn't want people to have to update for just a one part change and haven't made anything else for the mod as yet.

Well after earlier disaster that ruined the bank account of the space program (no revert, ironman save mode) which almost put the end of my RP-1 carrier, finally success:

First man-made object is about to be put in the space (in 1956 in this alternative reality):

rZOltlm.png

Putting stuff in orbit around Kerbin is a child's play - this lady is powered by ancient tech where you never know how much dv you will get out of the engine before it seizes up.

@T116 saw my late-night cropduster and graciously made a 1.12 version with working dusters (check it out), with an ore tank and the new drain valves.

As one does, I then of course retrofitted my 1.3.1 version with a working dusting system as well. It required a different solution (no drain valves in 1.3.1), but it's the results that count.

Time to dust the ... fishes?  (uhm Jeb, no drinking and flying, we agreed on this!)

dsLyqzS.png

Bp4IoFK.png

(Yeah yeah, I know.... Kerbal SPACE Program.)

Technically not created today (I've had this plane in my save for who knows how long), but for some reason I never published it. I stumbled upon it and decided it was long overdue.

So I went into the KSC Kanteen and rounded up a small test crew, rolled out the bird and fueled it up, and told them all to take a long hike. Maiden voyage done, flight reports collected, marketing copy and images processed. One more for the fleet: the SWiS Centurion 1, a pure stock 100-kerbal passenger airliner.

Quite conventional Mk3 build, other than that it cruises at mach 4.2 on just a pair of Whiplash turbo ramjets. Anyone need to transport a gaggle of kerbals halfway around the world in a jiffy?

sNwq35H.png

Classic Mk3 build, twin turbo ramjets, standard FAT-455 wingspan. 4 crew + 96 passengers.

A2hAzOg.png

Economical supersonic intercontinental travel. Cruise mach 4.2 @ 20 km, 0.53 LF/s. Halfway around the world and back on its default fuel load.

544gsIQ.png

Boarding at airports without jetways is an option.

GmmBGPk.png

Easyhandling permits safe landings off the runways.

(I know. Next one will go to space. Or at least the stratosphere.)

3 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

Fine. Here you go, the SWiS POD1. It flies fast, AND it goes to space. Happy?

Byngv6K.png

My prrecious. I mean, it's kinda cute. Why shouldn't I keep it?

Di9Di4o.png

mach 7.2 at the very fringes of the atmosphere.

7Ds0y3Y.png

Or go tour the solar system. It's all good.

DUUUDE. That's insane!

More to the point, I've been trying to make something like that for ages. How did you manage to get it to fly? Mine always wobbles itself off the runway and does a front flip. Thankfully it is remote controlled.