What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

1 hour ago, Second Hand Rocket Science said:

How did you manage to get it to fly? Mine always wobbles itself off the runway and does a front flip.

The flying is easy. It's actually surprisingly stable on wheels, even off the runway - spent about 10 mins or so driving around on Moho to find some nice spots for screenies. Moho is not flat, lemme tell you.  (* Incidently, it'd been a hot minute since I had been to Moho for the last time. I had forgot how freakishly FAST it comes up from behind you on the encounter. :huh:)

Course then I went back up to Eve (to prove it could go *everywhere*; you'll notice a lack of Eve screenshots)  .... and messed up the very first landing and bounced and uhm, now there's POD parts spread over a small area on Eve now. Made me spill my coffee, and my fav helmet got cracked; I was annoyed.

So, uhm. *Almost* anywhere.

Edited by swjr-swis

Got some time to play Kerbal today too. Continuing my RP-1 career, I am taking on First Weather Satellite mission. This one is easy compared to the rest of the satellite missions which are obviously balanced around people using Mechjeb (nothing wrong about it - I just prefer not to do that). 

This is same rocket as the one used for Sputnik mission, just that I added half of the Korolev cross configuration with two RD-101 engines acting as liquid boosters. Middle stage is highly unreliable S2-253 engine (Scud rocket engine) with final stage being powered by single Airbee engine. I am looking forward to the more modern engines which can be throttled AND turned on and off more than once.

fr7hIyQ.png

Edited by IncompetentSpacer

21 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

Fine. Here you go, the SWiS POD1. It flies fast, AND it goes to space. Happy?

Byngv6K.png

My prrecious. I mean, it's kinda cute. Why shouldn't I keep it?

Di9Di4o.png

mach 7.2 at the very fringes of the atmosphere.

7Ds0y3Y.png

Or go tour the solar system. It's all good.

The only resources shown are EC and monoprop, I guess that you have a kraken-drive on this thing?

16 hours ago, Akagi said:

An all-purpose escape pod

I can even imagine a kOS script for this (completely untested):

WAIT UNTIL ABORT.
SHIP:PARTSTAGGEDPATTERN("escape_pod_decoupler")[0]:GETMODULE("ModuleDecoupler"):DOEVENT("DECOUPLE").
FOR eng in SHIP:PARTSTAGGEDPATTERN("escape_pod_engine") {
   eng:ACTIVATE. 
}
WAIT UNTIL SHIP:AVAILABLETHRUST < 0.001 AND ALT:RADAR < 1000.
CHUTES ON.

Just now, darthgently said:

I can even imagine a kOS script for this (completely untested):

WAIT UNTIL ABORT.
SHIP:PARTSTAGGEDPATTERN("escape_pod_decoupler")[0]:GETMODULE("ModuleDecoupler"):DOEVENT("DECOUPLE").
FOR eng in SHIP:PARTSTAGGEDPATTERN("escape_pod_engine") {
   eng:ACTIVATE. 
}
WAIT UNTIL SHIP:AVAILABLETHRUST < 0.001 AND ALT:RADAR < 1000.
CHUTES ON.

That pod will be released tomorrow or today.

5 minutes ago, spacejet said:

Not working here. Had fun building it. Maybe found a physics limit. Maybe someone will try it with the "Physics Delta-Time per Frame" set on maximum (it's up on my KerbalX page).

try adding a few sepratrons to the first ball 

that might work?

1 hour ago, Akagi said:

try adding a few sepratrons to the first ball 

that might work?

Due to the way KSP treats models so that they don't foul you would need to have each ball on a separate frame when you are trying to make it work, so start with each frame docked to each other and including a probe core for control, undock the frames and have the first ball suspended from a docking port of it's own and connected to an unpowered and unlocked servo via a structural girder, unlock and let it swing while hoping the crash tolerance doesn't just blow them up.

I finally finished my Minmus refuelling automated base. You can see my OCT Max (Orbital Cargo Transporter Max), affectionately called "The Hot Dog Van" - it's a VTOL transformer SSTKO. Sent everything over with the OCT, which will also be used as the fuel tanker (it's got big removable tanks inside the cargo hold). Everything is pretty much clean ReStock+ with Robotics. It was a lot of work.

OTC-Max-Hover.png

OCT-Max-Flying.png

Orbital-Cargo-Transporter-Max.png

Minmus-Refuelling-Base.png

Got little time to play today (only an hour in the early morning and now 15 minutes to post this). Moved my RP-1 carrier forward by fulfilling two contracts (navigation and weather) together and adding small science satellite of mine own. 1200 kg of payload plus additional gear in a slightly more expensive Earth orbit was delivered by adding additional liquid fuel boosters (IRL favored by SSSR, while US went solid booster path) to the earlier design I posted about here in the thread.

Picture below shows the moment of separation of the liquid boosters (sharp eyed will notice that this was post fact run - simulation part in RP :wink:). The original "Koralev cross" was perfect...

Fiz1zKf.png