What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I spent most of saturday and a little bit today flying 3 missions, delivering the fertilizer and supply tanks for the Starbase. I'm lifting them 2 at a time. The last of the missions takes off.

jkYJjJi.png

z3kaeIj.png

TDbhZ5N.png

The early morning launch allows us to see the sunrise as the plane passes 300 m/s.

wwFN1JA.png

SCbK5Gl.png

Orbital insertion and rendevous take a few in-game hours to do.

HWuubUJ.png

CVZfijB.png

pUpVhyZ.png

With rendevous and docking complete, it's time for the next phase of the mission.

v8aeADZ.png

ApljckE.png

PNqJ5O9.png

The tug stored at the station undocks and enters the cargo bay, docking with a logistics module inside.

ifPywTa.png

9jTJHPi.png

Then, the tug maneuvers the logistics module to the desired port.

DsSuWZ6.png

7y1QCsM.png

qRCQWJo.png
Afterwards, it undocks for the second one, re-entering the cargo bay and pulling out the second logistics module.

oVw38l1.png

PJE6ZIX.png

With all modules out attatched, the tug returns to its port.

sbvixjG.png

RvAlINv.png

viHmlCd.png

I got Gigaklaw launched without aero forces destroying it by reducing the 12m Clydesdale thrust  to 90% and taking a more vertical launch arc. I probably did 100 contracts to get 12 M funds to pay for this beast. The left ship has a 5m core tank :sticktongue:

fc1g5p1.png

xKImFi8.png

4 minutes ago, Axelord FTW said:

@Krazy1
Ooh, I'm liking those resource icons. Is it a standalone mod? 

Alternate Resource Panel and TiggerAu Flags. I think the latter is suggested when you install the former with CKAN.

Edited by Krazy1
EDIT: actually the ARP display icons come that way without the flags addon

I sent a probe to fly by Moho in my career save. I just barely had enough fuel after I messed up my ejection burn. Moho is not to be underestimated. Those 4 antennas just barely give me enough signal strength on hard difficulty.

iXDU6UI.png

Visited Derbin's moons in Whirligig World, and had a pretty good laugh at this science report:

Spoiler

el4nFd5.jpg

I also sent an ion-powered probe to Shol, a hot-Jupiter type planet with over twice the radius of Jool and extremely high temperatures. Unfortunately, the probe overheated before it was able to complete its orbital insertion burn.

V28Bc27.jpg

Edited by Jack Joseph Kerman

On 4/30/2022 at 8:55 AM, fleventeen said:

Life can always throw a spanner in the works, but sometimes it's good to take a break too.

Alright, after finally getting back from out of town and stopping touching some grass, I uploaded the next chapter of my forum series in Mission Reports. If anyone wants to check it out, it's here.

Edited by Austin_Kerman
Or just check my signature, either one if you want.

Had a contract to get a craft to fly-by Moho and recover science from its surface. I simply loaded up a surface sample into a quickly put-together return pod and sent it home. Simple stuff.
Started thinking about interplanetary stuff, and decided to start with a totally-not-a-radiotelescope-dish relay that I would send in the general direction of whatever solar system I decide to go and see first. Can't launch from Kerbin, and even launching that from the surface of the Mun might just spell trouble, so it has now become a job for the Munar orbital facility. It doesn't have the required storage for the deuterium and Helium-3 needed to power the relay's fusion engine, so one of the first thing that had to be done was to add some tanks. While the station is capable of completely automated assembly, I decided to finally send some crew up. One pilot, one scientist and two engineers. The pilot would be lowered to the surface facility to work as a trucker for the Helium-3, while the scientist and engineers stayed in orbit to man the station proper. The shuttle was then fed into the grinder. That done, the new storage tanks were made and installed, after which the RCS gantry was also fed back into the station's grinding maw.
Then I started lifting some rocket parts from the surface to feed the station, The Relay would require just short of fifty-thousand units, which the station can actually hold all at once. Another trip would be necessary to top the RP stores, but I'll wait and see if anything else can be recycled first.
A day later, I got an alarm telling me my mission to Neidon was about to enter its SOI. At a respectable clip of 14,000m/s relative to the ice giant, the deceleration burn would take a little twenty minutes, which is still happening, right now, as I type this.

Spoiler

EmTfXvc.jpg
9TSGstQ.jpg
e83D4AX.jpg
7KX6Ml5.jpg
iqHW4t7.jpg
i3l3qXR.jpg
yZC48NT.jpg
6doY8Hb.jpg

EDIT: Well, there it goes!

Spoiler

v0r27bn.jpg
pUoFk1Z.jpg
FqX7BWl.jpg
UDMie7b.jpg
YeI2zjj.jpg
s6obrr6.jpg

EDIT2: Even though the Interstellar crew is still doing a 'shakedown' voyage to the outer planets, I churned out another, better version of the ship with a better lander (which is mostly the Tylo lander with some tweaks, instead of the monstrous lithium powered lander). The current vessel will probably get recycled (I'll also need to vastly expand the scrap-metal capacity of the facility in Munar orbit. It can eat through most tankers and other miscellaneous stuff with room to spare, but just. If I don't get more storage space, most of it will just get sent to the shadow realm or something. Not that it's really a pressing matter, as the recycling will not happen yet for at least two years. In any case, one of the things I changed for this version was tone down the amount of lithium on board (it was totally overkill) and put on some liquid hydrogen and liquid methane (plus needed oxidizer). No real uses but it gives me more options for the creation of small probes.

Spoiler

wPAh3Y9.jpg

Edited by Axelord FTW

Neat plane.

As for me, I swapped out the Deut/LHe3 storage on the orbital station for scrap metal storage. Everything was done 'in house' and nothing was wasted. Started by building a simple tug, pulled out the Deut/LHe3 tanks off (bit of a sticky docking port problem but nothing an engineer couldn't fix by hand) and feeding it into the shredder. Then I built basically the same tug once more but with some scrap metal tanks. Same process was repe7ated, but in reverse. In total, this raised the SM storage capacity of the station from just over 6,500 to over 74,000. It should now be capable of eating up almost anything.

Spoiler

TFlP4bJ.jpg
jxpFhkR.jpg
5Jqykcb.jpg
9LkZK0D.jpg
yYXPmPj.jpg

Edit: Oh, and also!
sV9garl.jpg

Edited by Axelord FTW

Made a rocket launch truck for whatever reason

1zEq5Pn.png
We cut a few 'S1 Utility Vehicles' apart and joined them together with a hole in the middle. It's not carrying nukes. Truck parts from OSUV.

EalvBDd.png
Raising rocket. For some reason I decided to put the exhaust hole in the middle of the truck. so I had to have a piston pull it forward as well.

J5kppuz.png
Raised and locked.
24orpL6.png
Launch went relatively normal other than the launch platform bouncing up slightly when the rocket launched due to the large reduction in load.

alM1UyN.png
Going up

WfN9yys.png
Second stage firing

VhPJTJu.png
Upper stage for final orbit insertion

YsJaGAQ.png
Because I'm doing this in an install with modlist highly influenced by my younger brother, I have BDArmory but not SCANsat. So without ground imaging telescopes or mapping radar, I installed a FLIR ball instead. Yes, I set the antenna direction 'backwards' from the sensible direction, I didn't notice until too late.

Edited by OrdinaryKerman
Restock allows you to set the HG-5's dish to deploy forwards or backwards

Made a few things on KSP EDU, since my school recently got it for our Aerospace class.

A station, completed in a single launch, put around Minmus.

77AJmcd.png

An SSTO, to take the kerbals I forgot to put in the station, to the station.

LLw7gCB.png

Another SSTO, because I clearly didn't go large enough the first time.

KkqjJtH.pngVTHXYnz.png

Both SSTOs have a main fusion engine for vacuum burns, and scaled-up Whiplash engines for atmospheric. The second SSTO includes a refinery for refilling the liquid fuel tanks, since the Whiplashes are very thirsty, and six Mk3 crew cabins.

Edited by Kebab Kerman

3 minutes ago, Kebab Kerman said:

Made a few things on KSP EDU, since my school recently got it for our Aerospace class.

77AJmcd.pngLLw7gCB.pngKkqjJtH.pngVTHXYnz.png

What's the difference between EDU and standard?

11 minutes ago, Akagi said:

What's the difference between EDU and standard?

EDU is stuck on 1.2.2 and has some unique info stuff, like most of the craft information that's given to you stock in modern versions, though to a lesser and less versatile extent. It also has some unique parts and built-in craft specially made for it, including a B-52 with an X-15.

Edited by Kebab Kerman
typo

5 minutes ago, Kebab Kerman said:

EDU is stuck on 1.2.2 and has some unique info stuff, like most of the craft information that's given to you stock in modern versions, though to a lesser and less versatile extent. It also has some unique parts and built-in craft specially made for it, including a B-52 with an X-15.

Looks like some spaceplane mods in there too

Just now, Akagi said:

Looks like some spaceplane mods in there too

Only mods used there are Interstellar Extended and the Mk3 Expansion. SpaceY is also there, but I'm not sure if I used parts from it for anything other than the rocket that launched the station.

On 4/16/2022 at 12:48 AM, Akagi said:

Built a very strange airplane, flew it a bit, then bailed out. Left KSP open in the background

My fellow Kerbals, I am proud to announce I have created a self-flying airplane.

That's just how airplanes work. If the torque from the reaction wheels isn't too weak or if your wings are somewhat balanced, then your plane shouldn't nose down below the horizon when it gets too high.