What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Continuing the ISS build in KSRSS. Moar screenshots:

First: Deorbiting Progress 1.

Spoiler

asaM6f6.pnglgOtQea.pngcKKo1Zn.png

Next up: The launch, rendezvous, docking , and EVA of STS-104.

Spoiler

mpR4giA.png9mJWKMf.pngTGaMYcV.pngakDSp6C.pngnTzjcS8.pngPwBFTQC.png3N8u88Q.png
Always love the Milky Way shots :D

eVpUbp2.pngmfmhpWp.pngeGlwqfT.pngwrDuAbh.pngtrtbEsW.pngAXDm25m.pngMzh5T6r.pngcshYfHN.png

Next: The launch, rendezvous and docking this has to be old be now of Pirs (Progress 2), and moving Expedition 3 to the rear of Zvezda.
Did the Soyuz capsule docked under Zvezda move before or after Pirs launched?

Spoiler

VAGViHD.png6IpOirl.pngN7C3ub4.pngwSIrphP.png0h9o1n3.pngi58ebr4.png

So, I was going to dock Pirs using expedition 2, but I accidently did something pretty stupid. I accidently pressed space and F5 right after without thinking, decoupling Pirs from Progress. So I went ahead and just used a Canadatug to dock Pirs to the station.
7PyizK8.pngX0dqZ1l.png

Finally: The return of Expedition 1.

Spoiler

HEs1Xec.pngwj7Qobo.pngIg3L8Vc.png1cvMsh4.png2fl3bt8.png

Sorry for all of these being in a 16:10 aspect ratio. :P 

I forgot one of the golden rules of KSP, with predictable results:

UwcmdW2.png

Always- ALWAYS!- check your staging. Stupid launch clamp was one stage up from where it should have been, so the rocket was stuck on the ground until the next stage fired and detached the boosters at the same time. Whoops.

22 hours ago, BadOaks said:

Today's exploits consist of a tale of two rovers. My first round of Mun probes was before I'd unlocked seismometers and gravioli detectors, so I launched a small robotic rover to the Mun to clean up those science points. The Zephyr VII launch vehicle used for the mission was vaguely inspired by the Atlas V 500 series.

kzNaSAz.jpg

8po7afA.jpg

Skycrane touchdown.

0OGqN3M.jpg

Mun Rover 1 on the surface.

roheJuw.jpg

Unfortunately the scanning arm requires 500 points of electricity to run, and since the rover uses a hydrogen fuel cell to supplement the solar panels I hadn't given it more than 320 electrical storage in batteries. The good news is that I had a Mun landing stack built and ready to go, and hadn't yet done a manned landing in the biome where the rover was. So: rescue mission!

HepjDPM.jpg

Endurance 3 approaching the Mun.

j3X0IEZ.jpg

Endurance 3 braked into an elliptical polar orbit, and Bob and Jovey took the lander down to the surface. Jovey then took the lander's MRV out to the distressed Mun Rover 1. 7XxmWHc.jpg

Jovey's Moonside Assistance and Auto Repair. She took a couple of batteries off the MRV and attached them to Mun Rover 1 with a healthy amount of space tape. It's like duck tape, but there aren't a lot of ducks in space. Sometimes you see ducts which have their own kind of tape, but they're rare, so space tape is what you want to use.

Anyways, the extra batteries worked great and Mun Rover 1 was back to doing science.

kg1tD7A.jpg

Jovey overlooking the landing site from a nearby mountain with Kerbin and Minmus overhead. I had her make the 7 km detour to collect Highlands science before heading back.

sZCCco7.jpg

Nice! This is a little  bit late, but where do you get those landing legs from?

I was snooping around in the astronaut and I discovered the mythical snack stash hidden beneath Jeb's bed! But then I went to the tracking station to review some of the craft I'm tracking, and two probes seem to be stuck in two of Kerbin's Lagrangian points! They're missions launched somewhere 25 years ago to Duna and they have both been floating about in Kerbolar orbit for some time and just happened to get stuck in the L4 and L5 points. No I don't have Principia, I'm on PS4 so no mods, but still I don't think this is a coincidence,  Kerbin must've pulled them into the perfect orbits over time somehow!

2 hours ago, JebNotFound said:

Nice! This is a little  bit late, but where do you get those landing legs from?

Thanks! I made them from a hinge joint, cubic strut (Nertea's model, not sure from which mod), strut connector and a tweakscaled adpater part.

rC6ueZT.png

12 hours ago, BadOaks said:

Thanks! I made them from a hinge joint, cubic strut (Nertea's model, not sure from which mod), strut connector and a tweakscaled adpater part.

rC6ueZT.png

Oh, cool! Thanks!

My biggest event was the return of my 1.8 career's first manned Duna mission.  Here, the crew posed on the strake of the spaceplane that brought them back to KSC:

MJEyCcRh.png

Spoiler

Reentering Kerbin's orbit in the MCV (Medium Crew Vehicle)

7ZjxrKVh.png

Docking with the orbital fuel station - I suppose I could've launched a spaceplane before they arrived, instead of making them wait for hours to actually land

QgPVrM8h.png

Sending up a LIghtning II to retrieve the crew

3ka9DbJh.png

CTbjIcJh.png

QQEfy6Gh.png

Apparently that last near perfect reentry & landing in a Lightning was a fluke, because this one severely overshot the KSC & had to fly back

WafuivWh.png

Jeb of course insisted on flying home - the Lightning & Lightning II spaceplanes were just a distant dream when the crew departed for Duna. 

wzOMCpYh.png

OJoXGePh.png

Most of the rest of my time was several big launches for various planets - I have had back to back to back transfer windows this year: Dres, Duna, Moho, & Eve over a span of 2-3 months. 

HjqaxF7h.png

I also switched over to sandbox to test a manned Eve Ascent Vehicle.  That went poorly - even the largest ballute I could fit didn't add enough drag to keep it pointed retrograde on the landing.  This was a later one, with added speed brakes & upper heat shield, and it still couldn't keep it's correct orientation.

jjVVYkoh.png

Spoiler

Originally, I thought for sure the ballute would add enough drag to counter the inflatable heatshield.  It even looked like it might work for a little while....

uHUvHdoh.png

jRFW5ARh.png

But shortly after I started getting into the hottest part of the entry, it started to shift sideways & broke up.

EwJQzvRh.png

Second attempt added the speed brakes at the top of the radial boosters, a larger ballute and an upper heatshield, plus a large reaction wheel module near the center of mass and if anything, it did worse than the first attempt

9RyCGcWh.png

8 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

I also switched over to sandbox to test a manned Eve Ascent Vehicle.  That went poorly - even the largest ballute I could fit didn't add enough drag to keep it pointed retrograde on the landing.  This was a later one, with added speed brakes & upper heat shield, and it still couldn't keep it's correct orientation.

Ballutes are strange things. You'd think they'd be perfect for providing stability on re-entry but every time I've tried them I've had the same problems you describe. My guess is that they generate a lot less drag in the upper atmosphere than you would think from looking at them, and so you don't quite get the "hanging" effect relative to other aero forces which would keep the vehicle stable. Or the hanging effect just isn't very responsive to small deviations.

One thing that worked for my Eve lander was giving it a "fin cap". It probably wouldn't work well in real life due to flow separation at high Mach numbers, but at least with KSP's stock aero model it did a really good job of keeping things stable until the parachutes could deploy.

PM8jxSy.jpg

7AiZPin.jpg

However you solve it, good luck! 

Edited by BadOaks

Today, I began a Career Mode play. I've only ever played Science Mode before. It's a totally different style this time around.

I've gotten as far as an orbit of Mun and I've taken three tourist flights to build up my cash reserves. I'm trying to figure out how to get a contract to land on the Mun. I still have the early-tech Landers from my Science playthrough, so I'm ready, I just don't want to do it for free.

2 hours ago, stephensmat said:

I'm trying to figure out how to get a contract to land on the Mun. I still have the early-tech Landers from my Science playthrough, so I'm ready, I just don't want to do it for free.

"Explore xyz" contracts are coming gradually from flyby, through orbiting and rendezvous vessels to landing and further. You need to wait, if you want reward for landing mission, proper contract should appear soon.

My two probes, the Duna Exploration Probe and Topographical Heightmapper (DEPTH) 1 and 2 have been contiuning their operations in the Duna-Ike consortium.

Spoiler

DEPTH 1 was assigned to map and observe Duna. Both probes carry a smaller lander for deployment on their respective bodies, and DEPTH 1 was assigned to carry a small Duna rover.

ZMRjx3Z.png

By this point it's been hanging in a 500k polar orbit and has completely mapped Duna's surface. I've begun slowly lowering its altitude over successive orbits using its puny ion engine so that it could circularize in low Duna orbit, and hence deploy the rover.

IESfwGh.png

After separating the rover with its skycrane, it targets a specific crater in a cluster of craters on the south pole thought to have originated from a single event. Its mission is also to ascertain the composition of the southern pole, and search for life, if any that still exists, as scientists determined the poles to be the best chance for finding life.

rrkXutY.png

GfTrpbT.png

Sshc9Nf.png
Touchdown occurs near a large pile of reddish dust, standing out against the icy surface.

mSzrJBO.png

nWC51xW.png

After deploying its camera tower, the probes robotic eyes come to life.

Spoiler

DEPTH 2 was assigned to Ike, and after 3 science flybys it settled into orbit to map Ike. It carries a simple Ike lander.

XTB2Njd.png

mvjMd6N.png

6JUvwhL.png

DEPTH2 has been conducting science for some time now, including scouting potential areas for a base. False-color images are shown here of ore deposits detected by the satellite. It's not as rich as the areas of Duna's north pole, but it's more numerous. Ike is an interesting world, as it has no clear, large, craters, implying that it was completely molten only a few million years ago from some enormous impact.

wZMNzVU.png

DEPTH 2 launched its lander not long after DEPTH 1's. The Ike General Lander has a small fuel supply, fuel cells to burn the remaining fuel for power, and a large communication tower to communicate with Kerbin independently of DEPTH 2 in the event of a communications failure aboard DEPTH 2.

w7Z9KxX.png

Rwh4Yx1.png

7o0zXrx.png

AwfEM5n.png

f3LtTeU.png

The IGL arrives on Ike and finds a moon covered with small, jagged pebbles and a thick layer of dust. There IGL will stay, long after its fuel cells run out.

13 hours ago, BadOaks said:

One thing that worked for my Eve lander was giving it a "fin cap". It probably wouldn't work well in real life due to flow separation at high Mach numbers, but at least with KSP's stock aero model it did a really good job of keeping things stable until the parachutes could deploy.

That looks quite interesting!!  I didn't get a chance for any KSP today, but I may have to give that a try.  Your whole lander design looks better constructed than the approach I was taking, too.  

On 6/20/2022 at 10:02 PM, Cavscout74 said:

That went poorly - even the largest ballute I could fit didn't add enough drag to keep it pointed retrograde on the landing.  This was a later one, with added speed brakes & upper heat shield, and it still couldn't keep it's correct orientation.

17 hours ago, BadOaks said:

y guess is that they generate a lot less drag in the upper atmosphere than you would think from looking at them, and so you don't quite get the "hanging" effect relative to other aero forces which would keep the vehicle stable. Or the hanging effect just isn't very responsive to small deviations.

One thing to consider: the first part of reentry, and in a large atmosphere like Eve's that's a LOT of km in, SAS will by default stay in Orbital mode. If you have SAS trying to hold prograde or retrograde to get the most advantage of heatshields, keep in mind that SAS is actually pointing somewhat away from the actual airstream vector.

This could be the reason you notice a deviation, because in Eve's thicker atmosphere even a slight deviation from the actual airstream vector can make a lot of difference. Manually set your SAS to Surface mode as soon as you start entering so it follows 'true' prograde/retrograde; that may be all you need for that deviation to go away.

11 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

This could be the reason you notice a deviation, because in Eve's thicker atmosphere even a slight deviation from the actual airstream vector can make a lot of difference. Manually set your SAS to Surface mode as soon as you start entering so it follows 'true' prograde/retrograde; that may be all you need for that deviation to go away.

I think I did that, but I can't remember for sure now.  Either way, the first failure involved a yaw to the left or right rather than going off in pitch that I would expect from forgetting to switch modes.  The second might have started with a pitch excursion before progressing to a yaw excursion followed by lots of fireworks. 

9 hours ago, dci said:

"Explore xyz" contracts are coming gradually from flyby, through orbiting and rendezvous vessels to landing and further. You need to wait, if you want reward for landing mission, proper contract should appear soon.

One question: If I land there on my own for the science, do I forfeit all contracts to that effect?

I had a few contracts for things like putting Kerbals in orbit for 30 days, growing food in space etc., so the time has come to build the first space station. Module 1 of Highgarden Station launched aboard a Driver I rocket into a 110 km, 30-degree inclined orbit

H79wIsK.jpg

Module 1 is essentially a complete station in it's own right, housing the command section, main habitat, and a service section with life support and propulsion.

d0jdxvx.jpg

A week later, module 2 also launched on a Driver I and came with a detachable service tug to deliver it to the station. Module 2 consists of the station's greenhouse and supporting equipment. Here it is performing a phasing maneuver to intercept Module 1.

SfknT7m.jpg

NGBOjWw.jpg

After docking, the service tug detached with the thruster arms opening to clear the payload. It then de-orbited itself.

gDJncp9.jpg

4 days later Endurance 5 arrived at the station. The crew of 4 will spend at least 90 days doing orbital science and growing the first space crops.

IYyvKcP.jpg

W8pxgdo.jpg

I've had this idea of a Space Navy Missile Frigate in my head for a while, and finally put it together, mostly. Most of the tech it has isn't available in KSP (Active Protection Systems, Self-guided Missiles, Guns, etc.) But I did the best I could and I might draw it later. I had to build it on 3 parts though as altogether it would be 491 parts and 2.463 megatons. I'm a bad artist, so i'm happy I can finally draw it with reference!

Edited by Wizard Kerbal

Had an idea for a low part count ballast. Requires some .cfg editing,

Y0UAjKl.png

I've seen an editor bug where someone was able to put this fuel tank into a kerbal's inventory allowing them to walk around on the seafloor. I don't know how to do that bug and i don't remember where I saw it , but I wonder if it could make a less egregious version of this legitimately buildable.

I tried to make one full of full ore tanks, but it didn't work. probably for the best. What I have here is already comically heavy

On 6/22/2022 at 1:03 AM, stephensmat said:

One question: If I land there on my own for the science, do I forfeit all contracts to that effect?

Yes, when you land on Mun before accepting such contract, no Mun landing contract will appear in future as part of "Explore XYZ" contracts.

5 hours ago, Zacspace said:

Had an idea for a low part count ballast. Requires some .cfg editing,

Y0UAjKl.png

I've seen an editor bug where someone was able to put this fuel tank into a kerbal's inventory allowing them to walk around on the seafloor. I don't know how to do that bug and i don't remember where I saw it , but I wonder if it could make a less egregious version of this legitimately buildable.

I tried to make one full of full ore tanks, but it didn't work. probably for the best. What I have here is already comically heavy

Use my simple mod or @Angel-125s more indepth one to make life easier.

https://spacedock.info/mod/2749/Working Underwater Lite

https://github.com/Angel-125/SunkWorks/releases/tag/v0.2.8

More messing around with planes, first a very Crimson Skies inspired stunt plane, the Sky King:

hX4nWu6.png

GVAEenr.png

GGPMoLM.png

Despite his best efforts, Jeb couldn't push this design up to 100g's, but he tried. Dammit. He. Tried.

B8VX4Wo.png

The other is no less odd, but much more realistic, a reasonable recreation of the British Sea Vixen (Yes, the cockpits actually looked like that.):

b7x6p64.png

slSGXQS.png

qHxlar3.png

KoS