What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I made two attempts yesterday at something more like @BadOaks  Eve lander.   The second attempt at least resulted in Jeb reaching the surface in one piece.  Of course he'd die after eating his 1 snack, but it is an improvement.  Also good this was the sandbox testing save.

siiHN1Z.png

Spoiler

First try, I used a 5m heatshield with individual 1.25m heatshields over the radial Vectors.  Unfortunately, that allowed too much heat to get at components higher up the stack.

8mXXpLlh.png

When that failed, only the lower stages blew off, leaving the mid stage to continue reentry for a little while, before failing & leaving the detachable nose fins & pod

vPnfHNRh.png

QAEgLrmh.png

When I tried to stage the pod, it crashed into the fins and blew up, so it was back to the VAB for some redesign work which led to the 2nd attempt.  This one went back to the inflatable heatshield, better nose fins, a set of grid fins and a even small ballute to add a little more drag to the back - I mean, it can't hurt, right?

5BHc7l8h.png

lDnSS6kh.png

It didn't matter:

AeU6CxJh.png

The survival of the fin section & pod

hnKUJsrh.png

d5uwQPAh.png

Today, I went back to my career save and got my second manned Duna expedition in place.    Here, the Duna Buzzer & the new Canyon Base landed safely.  The crew is currently at Ankin Kerman Memorial Station in orbit, doing a little research before coming down to the surface

Xhjf5bTh.png

Spoiler

Canyon Base (so named since I landed it in the Eastern Canyon) arriving

w7hpy2zh.png

PYQZy6eh.png

79EOv8ph.png

Then the new reusable lander arrived & docked

qiXzKJ1h.png

Third up was the Duna Buzzer

ohSJDuVh.png

c4OTW3ch.png

NcQoPS4h.png

And last came the new crew in EV-1 Avalon

rsGt7OQh.png

Edited by Cavscout74

In addition to the two probes, I've also sent two landers to Duna; the Duna General Landers 1 and 2. I aimed to launch them at the same time, like the DEPTH probes (which I actually got quite literally minutes apart), but they ended up arriving 20 days apart from one another. DGL1 is the only one to have arrived yet.

lukaQ4M.png

The lander has been travelling with its spent nuclear stage, which doubles as a communications and power bus. The aeroshell itself has airbrakes and some engines mounted on trusses to help slow it down.

nNiKmpM.png'

y7k3KH9.png

Separation goes smoothly. We're aiming for a lowland region near the entrance to a canyon that may have once been a river, a region that would have been rich with life if it ever existed.

ONJR2lZ.png

AqthOvr.png

Reentry is fairly slow, and we deploy our rockets in order to adjust our landing site.

0xCkhGg.png

nnCg4es.png

The aeroshell is detatched and the 3 drogue chutes deploy to further slow us down.

kpmRqEX.png

The lander has its own propulsion system, and the upper equipment bus is separated, leaving the lander to descend on its own fuel.

rKavqob.png

pQcTkDR.png

OBOctQE.png
Touchdown is successful.

wIUoMdm.png

AZ7ofqH.png

QlVPSo6.png

The lander deploys its communication and camera tower, and its solar panels. The lander is chock full with scientific experiments, including a drill capable of drilling deeper for life. The containers contain some deployable science experiments in the hopes that future colonists will be able to open it and better study this region with the aid of the experiments. It also has a large data storage module for future kerbals to access.

LGqrcEj.png

And the lander begins its lonely stay on the Red planet.

Last few days I pushed a class C roid to elliptical Mun orbit

SAT0Sbg.png

landed for 3 days to refuel...

Spoiler

A79o3TZ.png

then launched into the same orbital plane and klawed the roid again. Waiting to push to Eve. 

I found around Year 2 day 94, the 5 inner planets are all in a 90 deg arc... and my rendezvous is still on the opposite side and I can't get a signal despite a dozen ships with 100G antennas  :/

Spoiler

h0rBhhb.png

I pushed a class B roid to Moho and rescued Mosted in low orbit there. Bringing the roid was Gene's idea... he said he'd "apply that asteroid posteriorly" if she ever got lost in space so far from home again. I think she got the message :o

Spoiler

2c3b1jY.png7rW9s1q.png

Then they landed to refuel, planted a flag, and upgraded her directly to level 3. I also noticed at year 2 day 112, there was a conjunction of Eve and Duna straight overhead.

Spoiler

9qfYDYn.png

9avOYQZ.png

Encountered a lovely allignment involving 5 planets (Eve is not visible in this shot), the Mun, and even a comet (the dot closest to the sun) completely unexpectedly while performing a routine mission launching a satellite bound for Eve.

Edited by DunaManiac

On 6/24/2022 at 12:01 PM, miklkit said:

Duna Base got a visitor.  Just dropping off parts and crew swapping. 

7e1vPyq.jpg

Then taking off for the trip home.  Note the mission time in the top left.  Still managed to get back safely.

LOMGbNi.jpg

What mod do you get those My Little Pony skins for Kerbals from? :joy:

Playing around with Kerbal Konstructs to make a launch centre and runway at White Sands for my RP-1 save.

Kztb0w9.jpg

Edit: now that I've proved to myself that I can actually make a somewhat decent and functional launch site, I plan to use the plans I found for "White Sands Space Harbor (Space Shuttle Landing Facility)" to actually lay out the proper runways, helipad, support buildings etc.

If this continues to hold my interest I plan to continue with Vandenberg, Kodiak and Wallops and maybe do something for Woomera and Kourou if I can find good source material.

Edited by Aelfhe1m

Moon landing using a two-launch system- the crew capsule and lander go up separately for a lunar orbit rendezvous before landing. All is well, the lander sets down gently on the surface, time to do the EVA and plant the flag-

Wha-?

WHY IS THE LANDER CAN EMPTY!?!?

F9

Raged three times in the past two days while in the process of upgrading my space station's docking ports in EVA for increased stability.

The reason for my raging?

Since all my station modules are subassemblies, the game kept making the docking ports root parts whenever I undocked so that the engineer could get to them.

I also managed to reproduce this bug by accident while working, making my engineer stuck inside his pod unable to get back out due to Insert Name Here Kerman blocking the ladder until I spun up the cargo ship to a high enough RPM that INH.Kerman got flung off the ladder by the centrifugal forces. Bugfixing in KSP style, ladies and gentlemen.

Edited by Fraktal

Reinstalled the KSP (bi-monthly ritual - because there is nothing like it out there) and managed to break the sound barrier in my RP-1 carrier with subsonic tech and hold it there for 30 sec. Nothing special, many have done this before, but it was the first time for me.

Image taken on the way home (so technically mission was not yet over, I had to land)

edm0mcm.png

I discovered that the "wireframe" setting in KRASH looks incredibly sick. It also makes the actual launches feel more rewarding since they're now visually different from the sims. This particular simulation was to check staging for a Dres probe that I've been working on. Everything worked fine, so it's now getting built and will launch in 73 in-game days.

xvhhJgg.jpg

tgDabEU.jpg

While most posted content in this thread is about the projects that go well, this game is at its most interesting when things go to hell in the true Kerbal way.

After taking up X-plane contracts in my RP-1 career (basically make a plane, reach a height or hold a speed for certain time, not that much variation bar the design challenge of course), in what should be a boring contract, I managed to get my plane in a spin, for the first time since I started playing KSP:

https://imgur.com/sXebuZEI dropped from 50 000 -60 000 m to 21 000 m before regaining control, losing one of the canards in the process, which can be seen in the image under:

sXebuZE.png

Unfortunatly, the aircraft turned too much to the left during the approach to the air strip and I had to use the noob landing procedure (parachute) in order to land the aircraft.

QOKh81K.png

Due to graphical glitch I cant show how close I am to the home base in the last image (max 200 meters)

I saw the ground shadow of a station orbiting Minmus.

First time I've ever seen the shadow of something in orbit, and first time I've captured an image of the shadow.

8 images:

Spoiler

Ready to land the James Lovell, the small white lander on the top of the stack, the rest of which is Hilts Station.

nsnqqdC.png

Undock the James Lovell lander

RZJEMlQ.png

James Lovell almost landed

tNuNHgD.png

Shortly after landing, the ground shadow of Hilts Station zoomed directly past.  I hit Escape and F2 and captured this image and the next 4. In this image the shadow is zooming East (right side of image) away from the landed James Lovell (center).

Ajdf4b7.png

From just behind the landed James Lovell, you can see the shadow of Hilts Station in the background.

ZzrthcL.jpg

Landed James Lovell (dot, center) and Hilts Station shadow (short dark line)

vS8xuwG.png

Looking straight up, see Hilts Station as the dot under the H.

oh180bk.png

Looking straight up from under the landed James Lovell, see Hilts Station as the dot under the H.

HmvbVYV.png

23 hours ago, BadOaks said:

I discovered that the "wireframe" setting in KRASH looks incredibly sick. It also makes the actual launches feel more rewarding since they're now visually different from the sims. This particular simulation was to check staging for a Dres probe that I've been working on. Everything worked fine, so it's now getting built and will launch in 73 in-game days.

What’s KRASH? It sounds cool, but I’ve never heard it mentioned anywhere.

Trying to find out how fast a plane could fly on Rhode’s moon Lua, I accidentally ended up on a sub-orbital trajectory- of Rhode. Yup, flying in the atmosphere below 2km yet it had the speed to launch itself right out of Lua’s gravity and travel all the way back to Rhode. Now all that’s left is to figure out the trip from Rhode to Lua and runway landings on Lua; my first attempt at VTOL rocket engines didn’t work due to lack of thrust and Jeb’s Cobra manoeuvre resulted in a 20m/s vertical “landing”, which somehow damaged nothing but left the plane stranded on its back.

Flight test from White Sands runway 2/20. Shuttle landing strips 17/35 and 5/23 also visible:

xIF8wzM.jpg

Other than maybe trying to tweak some colour inconsistencies I'd say the runways are done. Now onto working out what I want to do about laying out launch pads and support buildings at "Launch Complex 36" and "V-2 launching site" and whether I want them at their real world locations or closer to the runways.