What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

2 hours ago, Blufor878 said:

You mind if I ask how you make graphics like this? I noticed a lot of folks on KerbalX have really neat poster-like graphics of their vehicles there, and I kinda wanted to do that myself if possible (mostly because my computer has a rocky relationship with KSP graphics mods).

Not at all! There's a mod called Kronal Vessel Viewer that lets you take orthographic images in the VAB. Once I have the craft images I want, I scale (KVV doesn't have a good way to control scaling that I know of) and arrange them in Powerpoint. Other folks probably have their own methods, but what I've been doing for scaling is using a reference object (like a bunch of I-beams stacked on each other) that I can crop around, and then matching up the dimension of that object in each image.

Here's a short video showing the workflow.

That's a beautiful station btw.

Two items:  1. a new airport under development: Wadi Haifa; still indulging a "minimalist' style...  this one has a little more evolution to do.

HMW6ohn.jpg    1t7TONe.jpg

(I hadn't been able to figure out how to get the Krita color picker to report the desert tundra color, but was moderately pleased to mix it by hand/eye/slider coordination and get it that close.)

2. Two, new, Terkestani launches from Olympia, 60S, both shown moments before circularization into  orbits aligned with the new KISS-II space station being assembled (in a 60-degree incline)::

UJ9bY3J.jpg    slIyAIf.jpg

I mention this subject again because I've gleaned a new perspective from this experience, so far:

while I had thought that timing the launch window for synchronizing with a 60-degree orbit would be quite difficult (or beyond my own knack, anyway),

it's become apparent that any 60-degree orbit spends more time quite close to 60S (and 60N), meaning the launch window on the ground (which is moving along a 60S track is quite long in proximity to the desired orbit.

What seems to be important is -- not to insist on a 90E heading upon launch but -- to use approximately the course the target would be using IF it were overhead.  And to make that simpler, and capitalizing on the flexible launch window, one may simply wait until the target HAS passed overhead and is now tracking down-range, but still in a very visible position on the navball.

While it is also true that the target moves very quickly through  the most southerly part of its orbit, conversely, the launchpad (on a different trajectory) moves through it quite slowly.

Here's a take-away, then, for anyone feeling bored with KSP 1 (and desperate waiting for KSP2!)!

Do a play-through, however you like, but restrict your launches to one launchpad, choosing from, say, Dessert Strip (6.5S), Baikerbanur, (20.6N) or Woomerang 45.3N.  (I'm using TSA15 in KerbinsideRemastered.)

I recommend becoming proficient with Alt-F12: Cheats: Set Position to move your vehicles from the KSC VAB to your launchpad.

If you're playing for funds, and attempting vehicle recovery, target the KSC as usual; it's just gonna be harder!

You are also going to have to solve the conundrum of how to get into the ecliptic, which is actually pretty easy:

Spoiler

sot I am not going to spoil it for you!  :)

And remember the Golden Rule: have fun!

Edited by Hotel26

I should start this entry with a correction. The Duna and Ike crews got in touch with me through their PR representatives to let me know the Moho and Eve missions have their full support and they wish them nothing but good fortune with the new scanning technologies. The Duna and Ike crews (again, through their PR rep) furthermore asked me to make clear they never refer to Moho and Eve as the "inferior planets" and that this was absolutely the result of some garbled transmission or misquote from the words "interior planets". As is hereby noted.

This morning, a large structure taxied out to the tarmac of the KSC runway.

Nklpc2GA_o.jpg

As the pilot was disembarking the strange three-hulled design I recognized him as Danrick, a former neighbour of my dear aunt who still lives in Kerbville, and waved him over for a talk, which he was happy to oblige. He explained that this was a concept design for a Duna base and today, they were testing the loading and offloading of the machinery hidden in one of its impressive Mk-3 cargo hulls.

03lg3xdD_o.jpg

Danrick was kind enough to give me a tour around the vehicle. The front center boasts a cockpit for two and two four-person luxury cabins flanked below by two mobile labs sporting an impressive array of science gear.

yoPuca5O_o.jpg

He led me around the side to show that the 'mobile base' as he referred to it has four mining drills and two refineries inside to allow it to replenish its fuel.

dSqSgwei_o.jpg

The base is driven by its rocket engines rather than electrical wheels which is understandable considering its size. Those rocket engines are also what help it land on Duna when the time comes, assisted by a larger number of parachutes than I have ever seen attached to any craft.

8as1tSy2_o.jpg

Aside from the engines you can see a considerable amount of living accommodations, I counted two Mk-3 Cabins and no less than 16 cabins for two, together with the six crew and eight luxury accommodations in the front that makes a total of 78 souls when this base is fully populated. As the view from the top shows, those lucky 78 will be able to dance away the night under Duna skies on the impressively roomy top deck of the base.

xXb9RIPZ_o.jpg

Danrick explained the mobility of the base was primarily meant to find a stable and even surface after the landing. To actually get around on Duna, they came up with something special, which was what today's tests were all about. We made our way to the front of the craft where the rest of the crew had finished testing the various robotic parts like ramps, antennas and solar panels and was preparing to unload this special cargo.

aALgIvb6_o.jpg

I must tell you my dear readers, I felt like a kid on xmas morning when I saw that loader slowly drive out off the ramp and onto the tarmac, complete with the loud "beep-beep" noises one expects from a reversing heavy cargo vehicle.

FgQ4nCVz_o.jpg

Driven by one of the engineers it was expertly parked and several breaking mechanisms were locked down before she made her way over to us for a chat.

hVbw7BPK_o.jpg

She explained that while exploring ways to pack an exploration/science helicopter into the Mk-3 cargo hulls the biggest problem they had to solve was how to unload the "DunaKopter" as the 12-bladed craft was called. Needless to say those 12 blades and the plethora of science equipment are relatively fragile and need to be handled with the utmost care. Due to weight constraints it was decided that rather than attaching some flimsy wheels to the helicopter, they would instead mount it on a specially designed loader that sports a cradle for the helicopter that even allows them to load it back into the base in case it ever needs repairs.

With the unloading out of the way it was now time to test the helicopter itself which kept the crew rather busy, but of course I hung around and managed to snap several pictures for your consumption. Here you can see the DunaKopter which carries a crew of two shooting off the cradle on its loader, with impressive performance in the comparatively dense Kerbin atmosphere.

7r3OZCZV_o.jpg

As the sun was setting I witnessed the crew make various short trips and soft landings, the helicopter seemed to perform admirably and according to the pilot it was harder to control than a rocket, but at least it could go straight up and down unlike "the witch-crafts the aerodynamic department comes up with these days".

VjC2Oj5S_o.jpg

The ability to go straight up, or more accurately straight down certainly helped the pilot as he tried, and successfully managed to park the DunaKopter back in its cradle three consecutive times. By the time the full test program was done with the sun had set and I invited the entire crew over for a nice diner in the cafeteria of the KSC complex. I don't know about you dear reader, but I am certainly impressed by this demonstration, and I think the Duna and Ike crews will too once they receive these materials in the next year or two!

Edited by Beamer

Played KSP for the first time for too long. (26 days.)

Did just a simple airplane mission, and it was really nice.zHSoh2x.png

And proceeded to fly under the KSC bridge because I've never done that before.

tZkXmPa.png

And then flew to the island runway.

MSXNiRn.png

lpgbkaI.png

LgRfGEV.png

MCmGDHl.png

SEkudSl.png

And EVA'd Jeb.

dPmmcVN.png

It's been nice to play KSP again, especially because I haven't done it for a while.

Anyways, goodnight!

With the design of my DunaBuggy done, only one important decision is left to be made...

1eEmo0AF_o.jpg

Black, Silver or Gold?

tbp4jxgM_o.jpg

Transported in a Mk-3 cargo bay, fully electric, 3 seats, all science equipment + hinged large scanning arm in the booth, science report storage, easily switchable between front wheel drive and 4x4 and between 2 wheel and 4 wheel steering, 2 small reaction wheels for stability assist, top speed (on Kerbin) around 25 m/s in 2 wheel drive and 30 m/s in 4 wheel drive, geometrically designed roll-cage rated to 50g impact forces, fully protecting the crew and all sensitive equipment in case of a flip or roll*

* Scanning Arm and Crew may break from high G-forces without direct impact, some conditions may apply, warranty void when used outside the KSC compound. Sharp turns may cause dizziness and loss of control. Powering refrigerated snack storage requires additional battery expansions, contact Robodobodyne for quotation. Spare parts available on special order. Change tires when threads run bare. Contact a phycisian when the situation persists for more than 8 hours.

Dat "ohh shaaaaat" moment when you have been driving at x3 time accel for 50km, and forget to check the map ahead of you...

suCwYVA.png

Right off a bloody cliff into a rather huge crater...

5STIdVQ.png

Bounced off pretty damn hard after a 65ish m/s impact :)...

OKXHaKR.png

And the sigh of relief when you realize the thing you have been driving in was designed years ago and was damn near impossible to crash (this version is at least a yyear old, though the vehicle layout of motorcycle wheels and 2 stabilizer wheels ive had since at least KSP v0.25)...

6 minutes ago, panzer1b said:

Dat "ohh shaaaaat" moment when you have been driving at x3 time accel for 50km, and forget to check the map ahead of you...

suCwYVA.png

Right off a bloody cliff into a rather huge crater...

5STIdVQ.png

Bounced off pretty damn hard after a 65ish m/s impact :)...

OKXHaKR.png

And the sigh of relief when you realize the thing you have been driving in was designed years ago and was damn near impossible to crash (this version is at least a yyear old, though the vehicle layout of motorcycle wheels and 2 stabilizer wheels ive had since at least KSP v0.25)...

Neat! Probe or crewed?

Edited by Blufor878

4 minutes ago, panzer1b said:

I have recently come to realize that as long as you clad your rover in enough structural panels, anything inside it will explode/die from excessive g-forces long before the structure itself disintegrates :)

2 minutes ago, Blufor878 said:

Neat! Probe or crewed?

Kerbal smoothie.

1 hour ago, Blufor878 said:

Neat! Probe or crewed?

nk5wyqJ.png

Crewed by 2 probes (in case 1 gets shot off)...

W2qHZd5.png

Its basically something akin to a aggressive recon vehicle, not really a "tank", but it can take a few hits to anywhere but the weapon itself.  Hit the ibeams, or in later variants the firework cluster and its useless since ramming armor against armor doesnt do squat below 80m/s and it can go above 50 on flat ground...

2 minutes ago, panzer1b said:

nk5wyqJ.png

Crewed by 2 probes (in case 1 gets shot off)...

W2qHZd5.png

Its basically something akin to a aggressive recon vehicle, not really a "tank", but it can take a few hits to anywhere but the weapon itself.  Hit the ibeams, or in later variants the firework cluster and its useless since ramming armor against armor doesnt do squat below 80m/s and it can go above 50 on flat ground...

So this is an armed motorcycle UGV for the moon/mun? Neat!