What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

2 minutes ago, Blufor878 said:

So this is an armed motorcycle UGV for the moon/mun? Neat!

Its actually based on a cross of 2 things, replica of a vehicle from a videogame i used to play ages ago (way b4 KSP even existed), and something i saw on the forums a while back (namely the idea to use angled wheels as stabilizers since trying to drive a "motorcycle" is basically suicide at speeds above 20m/s without either a crapton of reaction wheels (there are only 2 in my vehicle), or stabilizers of some form like said landing gear...

ED_Dubna.gif

uuCe9jT.jpg

Its not perfect by any means, but its the simplest AKS combat vehicle (i didnt even bother with a turret and made it into a fixed gun thats adjusted somewhat by the spring strength of wheels), and its byfar one of the safest things i have to drive (and its fast too since there is virtually no weight as the armor is mostly the fact that its so small and hard to hit from anything but point blank...

I'm 1/2 way through a second Jool 5 with Principia. I still have to wait a year to get to Bop. I'm over 1.1 Gm from Jool now. 

DJEoICS.png

On 9/10/2022 at 5:58 AM, Hotel26 said:

Do a play-through, however you like, but restrict your launches to one launchpad, choosing from, say, Dessert Strip (6.5S), Baikerbanur, (20.6N) or Woomerang 45.3N.  (I'm using TSA15 in KerbinsideRemastered.)

I recommend becoming proficient with Alt-F12: Cheats: Set Position to move your vehicles from the KSC VAB to your launchpad.

Why ALT-F12? You can just set the location before launching from the VAB...right? 

This reminds me of my "no orbit" challenge for Making History (it's posted in here in the forum with other MH missions but I'm too lazy to link it). Just go to the Mun and back without ever being "in orbit".  Only suborbital or escaping is allowed, or the Orbit Kraken will blow up your ship. 

I did something that I've been meaning to do for quite a while now: climb to the highest point on a celestial body. In this instance, I chose to climb to the highest point on Tylo, as this was the fourth and final mission objective that I never got to accomplish during my circumnavigation about a year ago.

Bill Kerman: "He's asking for authorization to jettison the Mountaineer. It's just sitting there in the garage, dead weight. The mission to Tylo's highest peak was cancelled long ago."

Given how difficult some of the mountains had been on Tylo, and given the fact that my sources tell me that the highest mountain on Tylo is almost 13 km high, I thought I'd need a pretty capable, dedicated mountaineering rover for climbing to such heights, and as such, the "Klimbinator" was born.

MUCJqDP.jpg

PGgkpOm.jpg

Here you can see it at our "base camp" of about 9,100 m elevation. It's covered in small landing gears to help it survive crashes, as they have the highest impact tolerance of any part in the game, at 325 m/s.

As it turned out, though, this design would be completely overkill, as the slopes of the mountain in question were much more gentle than expected. Kind of disappointing, if I'm honest.

Spoiler

Pretty soon, we were over 10,000 meters,

GbCFppv.jpg

.. and we summited in literally 15 minutes. Disappointingly easy.

VCXaU6i.jpg

At least the view is good, I suppose.

3U4cOZZ.jpg

Today, I crashed a Hail Mary mission four times, and landed it once, and then Blew it up anyway.

I sent a Science Lab with landing legs to Eve, loaded up with all the science I could muster, and an inflatable heat shield to get it down. Two Kerbals on board. Likely to stay a long time, but I took science measurements all the way there, and again on the way down to the surface.

Landing the thing was a nightmare. No matter what I tried, the heat shield put her into a spiral, and she spun in, burning up during the first four tries. Finally, I got through the 'blackout' phase, and the Heat Shield wiped me out the next three times.  Don't know what I'm doing wrong, but it's hard to jettison that thing without it wiping out the ship.

Finally, I managed to split the difference. I saved all my fuel for the 'heating up' phase, and used up all my DV. I still spun when I put out the shield, but it held together enough. I cut loose the shield while the damn thing was upside down, but it made a clean disconnect at last. Chutes out, and I'm floating down at 5.6kph. Slow enough for my landing legs to make it.

YlhTKTq.png

Now, having used up all my fuel, I had left my landing site up to the chutes, and I came down on an incline. I slid along for a while, (unable to save while I'm moving). I'm getting close to another manoeuvre for another ship, so I try to hurry it up by time warping. I've done it multiple times on Mun and Minmus.

Eve isn't Minmus. I blow out my landing legs as soon as the speed increases; and here we go again.

Took another four tries, but I landed her. I'm typing this now while it's still sliding, but I won't be rushing it this time.

https://i.imgur.com/yaMEqc0.png

The base is stupidly basic, but I'm fine with that. My goal is to put one of these on every moon/planet, to be ready for all the contracts where I have to 'plant a flag', or 'transmit science from'.

11 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

Why ALT-F12? You can just set the location before launching from the VAB...right?

Good point.

I'm an old-timer playing 1.11.2 (who may never convert to 1.12, since there is no more reason now to "keep up with versions").  So I mentioned it only because it's the vanilla mechanism.

And, also, the free choice of your exact launch location.  I do enjoy -60.5/39.2 because it's an island nation.  Reminds me of Tasmania.  ;)

Edited by Hotel26

5 hours ago, Jack Joseph Kerman said:

As it turned out, though, this design would be completely overkill, as the slopes of the mountain in question were much more gentle than expected. Kind of disappointing, if I'm honest.

One time I did a 900 kilometer drive over the surface of Tylo. The place is great for roving, almost ridiculously easy, especially compared to other places in the system (I'm looking at you, Mün...).

Found my old shorthand notes on how I use to log my activities and decided to start a new log up yesterday. Did a fair number of things before that though, like the launch of the latest iteration of the Kerbal Tour Bus 7.

LdXRiRj.png
Ten Kerbals on a Mun flyby...and no pilot. I'm obviously further along the tech tree than I think I am.

Also sent up the latest iteration of a Gurney 7 rescue ship to grab engineer Billy-Bobly Kerman from LKO and bring him back. The Trash Can 1 satellite made its final set of maneuvering burns over Mün to get it into its target orbit for contract, and Val positioned her Derpstick 6 craft in a 49.7 by 49.3 polar Münar orbit to commence the main goals of the Trinity 1 mission (i.e. getting low space EVA reports from all of the Mun's biomes). Val did finish up her mission yesterday, but not before Billy-Bobly's rescue mission completed and several tourist Münar flybys occurred (including the Kerbal Tour Bus showed launching above), and another satellite positioned over Kerbin. I have yet to begin the process of getting Val back to Kerbin with her data so that Münar landings can commence. Meanwhile Jeb and Bill are out with their satellite repair mission aboard Genie 7, which is now scheduled for a rendezvous with its target in about 78 hours. I'm concerned as to whether or not the two of them will have sufficient fuel to return to Kerbin on mission completion, though I am confident that they will successfully rendezvous and repair the satellite's main antenna.

Got the Runway fully upgraded too, which is always a red-letter day...now I've just got to get the SPH up to snuff and maybe I can do some aerial surveys. Always enjoy those.

Second ever planet landing I've ever done. First one I did was Duna and I was wondering which planet should be my next target and I had a window for eve and thought may as-well try.PoCliEi.jpg

About to get a little warm an sacrifice a majority of my craft. ;p

oPvkfLp.jpg

I can't believe I actually made it!

f7FS6KE.jpg

If only I had a connection to the KSC! :confused: I guess I know my next mission.

leZeCsL.jpg

I decided not to send kerbals on this adventure because I wasn't to sure about eve and getting them there safely and back, I don't like to leave any kerbals behind even if they "accidentally" slam themself into a solar panel.

Had a few missions working concurrently. As a matter of bad/good timing, really.
The "Jool Relay Moneyshot" mission, which was just a big relay with 8 extra mini relays. Vall, Laythe and Tylo got two mini relays each, and Pol and Bop both got one, while the biggerest relay went in a very high, very eccentric orbit.
At the same time, the first Jool Explorer arrived and had to be put in a parking orbit. An atmo probe was dropped into Jool when I had a bit of a lull with the relay stuff.
While all of this was happening, I was also fulfilling some scansat contracts for Eve, Duna, Ike, and Dres. Not a lot of screenshots were taken, really.
Next up will be finishing putting the relay in the correct parking orbits around each bodies, and then set out to do science with the JEx (there's also a laythe atmo probe to drop).

9G4K4AM.png
tZyjcTs.png
ZNNfShl.png

18 hours ago, Blufor878 said:

Today I violated the spacetime continuum  to have Orion and Apollo rendezvous at an alternate timeline Skylab...

What am I doing?

52353144960_34921647f6_o.png

Parts courtesy of @benjee10, @CobaltWolf and the BDB team, and possibly restock?

Today an outdated antique orion and a modern apollo docked to a new station. :sticktongue:

On 9/12/2022 at 7:41 PM, 2Tricky said:

Second ever planet landing I've ever done. First one I did was Duna and I was wondering which planet should be my next target and I had a window for eve and thought may as-well try.PoCliEi.jpg

About to get a little warm an sacrifice a majority of my craft. ;p

oPvkfLp.jpg

I can't believe I actually made it!

f7FS6KE.jpg

If only I had a connection to the KSC! :confused: I guess I know my next mission.

leZeCsL.jpg

I decided not to send kerbals on this adventure because I wasn't to sure about eve and getting them there safely and back, I don't like to leave any kerbals behind even if they "accidentally" slam themself into a solar panel.

What mod gives you all those ground objects?

Did some fooling around with low powered engines... That resulted in my proposal for the next design for the kerbal-olympic and paralympic fire:

You can also roast some marshmellows on it. The kerbally bowl of fire :D :D :D ...

Why? Cause it's possible.

QHEc71c.png

On 9/12/2022 at 2:32 AM, Jack Joseph Kerman said:

I did something that I've been meaning to do for quite a while now: climb to the highest point on a celestial body. In this instance, I chose to climb to the highest point on Tylo, as this was the fourth and final mission objective that I never got to accomplish during my circumnavigation about a year ago.

What latitude is that?