What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Made a very simple hinge part. I was reading a thread that mentioned a trailer hitch and thought, what about the 4wd heavy duty ones? So 1 part you use 2 of to give you a universal joint.

QnvW1m0.pngcrY1gLF.png

Couldn't be bothered making a couple of complicated craft to test it as a drive shaft but a simple test went as expected.

aaCqHgw.png

I finally finished my stock replica of the ISS. I wanted to do this since I started playing KSP in 2016. I started trying to build it in 2019. The first version was incredibly ugly, the second was too big and looked rough compared to the real thing so I didn't even bother to finish it.

There you see the latest (definitive) iteration and tbh I'm happy with the end result.

sDDESic.jpegZ2zAS9Y.jpeg

Edited by Timber Micka

For as long as it's been since I last posted, I actually haven't done all that much. Wednedsay I spent finishing up the construction of South Base 2, which took pretty much the entire day.

Y5bxUXV.png
After all the trouble I had getting everything put together, I still managed to get the damn mass driver pointed the wrong direction...

After discovering an issue with the MOLE Drydock that ultimately proved to be the game borking on any build that included the MOLE Bigby Orbital Workshop, I wound up finishing out Wednesday starting a print of a new Minnow 7 passenger ferry (this one will eventually be Zoe) at the Dystopia Planitia orbital shipyards. Construction is expected to take just under thirteen hours in total. I also redesigned the Mr. Wizard 7 repair craft on the notion of making the craft capable of docking at orbital space stations, rendering it reusable. I'll have to see if that ultimately proves to be the case; usually these repair jobs involve varying parts that I think I should be able to print up, but I won't know until I try.

I spent the next four days figuring out how I was going to workaround the issue with the BOW, since it has been a vital component of most of my off-world construction operations for quite some time now. During the period from Thursday through Sunday I didn't play as a result, aside from launching ScanSat Mun into LKO. Ultimately I hit on the idea of figuring out whatever the hell the equivalent part was in Extraplanetary Launchpads (what I'm using for offworld construction) and just replacing the parts. Redesign work happened yesterday on the Ikeport Core space station design, the Dystopia Planitia design (DP itself was launched from KSC so its design is fine as is), and the Muad'dib 7 Alcubierre Drive ship. I'll have to see whether the redesigns will work or not and that's either going to have to take place with a trial by fire or a litterbox playthrough; it simply takes a fair amount of time to get things up and running with this setup. 

ScanSat Mun also burned for Mun yesterday; arrival is in three hours and 45 minutes. After the probe was sent on its way, the launch of ScanSat Minmus occurred.

Q2AolEu.png
Couldn't have gotten that terribly much more circular, methinks. Especially not doing the burn manually.

The probe was sent on its way as well, and is expected to arrive in a little under 32 hours. Only other thing that happened yesterday was a Hexagen delivery to South Base 2 to begin processing Nuclear Fuel, something I'll need a fair amount of as I begin to re-establish all my bases.

The plan for today is to finish up construction of Zoe and then begin work on Munport at Dystopia Planitia. I still need to get infrastructure set up at Mun and Minmus, after which I should be able to resume work on filling contracts. I only have one contract in progress right now, the ridiculous "colonization" mission to Hadwin's Shipwreck, which at this point fill finish up in just another seven days or so. I still hope to have a base on Mun ready before those colonists need to be retrained, but my window to do so is rapidly closing.

TL, DR: Didn't do much. Built a base, redesigned stuff to workaround bugs, flew a couple of probes.

Derpin around again, mostly with some of my ground vehicles (that were rendered useless after i installed parallax with collisions)...

gDLb1M5.png

OQ4ctNL.png

Updated the Dragon APC, mostly to stop it frustrating me when driving on Duna.  Currently can do 10m/s comfortably while dodging teh worst rocks and i can sorta weave in and out of the really big ones with a bit of care but its not the thinnest vehicle so there is a small chance of getting wedged between 2 rocks

uAwkja4.png

Upgraded it to the heavy pulse cannon, which is actually a good anti-tank cannon now (the PDC on the old model was not effective against BCorp's newest armor).

RhPYoFW.png

Interior, simplified it over the older model to save a couple parts.  Its pretty much utilitarian now, transports 6 kerbals and 2 drivers (or whatever cargo/fuel will fit in the space between the wheels) and nothing else.

c5uvhaD.png

And the biggest change is the front, made it angled and not using the friction pads so that it will tend to bounce over a medium sized rock and not instantly stop the vehicle and bounce backwards.

FkMdvbj.png

What the old one looked like, the biggest flaw of which was the front.  I will admit that i like the old front better (its a bit more blocky and has more detail), but i wanted to save some parts and also do something about the absolute garbage terrain passability.  A lowered suspension coupled with a grip pad that is basically vertical (that would touch terrain even without parallax installed on occasion when hitting a valley's bottom) is not exactly a smart move if you want to go over any sort of bumps.  The new front while looking a bit less cool imo, saves over 10 parts, and those angled girders just let it bounce on anything but very tall rocks (or those spikes on Ike, need to fully evade those things).

TkHl3oH.png

Cant believe what a big difference a teensy change to the wheel setting did.  Was able to make it just about stable enough in bumpy terrain to ditch the RCS jump jets entirely (weight went from 5.5 to 4.5t which is nice as i can carry it with less dV wasted).  I still have a jumpjet capable variant as there are rare situations where its useful (such as on extremely low grav where you can use it to slow down when brakes are near useless).

Now i just need to make a new version of the 850T tank, since the last 1 was lost due to accidentally overriding the file (and not noticing until i updated all my backups).  I sorta want to make it much flatter then it was (its actually too tall to fit into my standard dropship which sorta sux given that the only dropship i have which fits said tank cant lift the weight :().  So yeah, maybee loosing the latest version wasnt entirely a big deal.

I went to Duna and Ike. No landings attempted. I might try planting a flag on Ike later.

fwPQhQW.png

Döner rocket. Mammoth core stage, with 2 Skipper-powered liquid fuel boosters. Can carry 5 kerbals to orbit around Duna and Ike, and back to Kerbin.

ny8EwVG.png

Bob does EVA science in Ike orbit. Bob "accidentally" throws the part from a dismantled propeller hat stolen from a child EVA Science Instrument® at one of the Gigantor solar panels on the Döner and destroys it. When he finishes his work and enters the capsule he gets beat up by the rest of the crew. Mission Control audio suggests that he was repeatedly shouting 'It's just a prank' during the altercation.

DwGhQOp.png

The crew back home safe. From left to right: Jeb, Bill, Bob, Val, Bilsy. All of them leveled up from level 2 to 4. Over 2400 science recovered. They had to endure several aerobraking passes (not sure if they were even necessary but I wanted to do it anyway.) The heat shield was sucked dry of its ablator while the Döner re-entered Kerbin's atmosphere for the final time.

During the mission I entered Duna and Ike orbit. I dipped the spacecraft into Duna's atmosphere (only about 49000 above sea level). I might try getting a probe on Duna after this, then I'll get a Kerbal on Ike. Not sure which one I'll pick. Kengel was first to step on Minmus, Val was first to step on the Mün, Jeb was first in orbit I think.

While I was building this rocket a nasty bug happened. I guess my craft file was broken or something? Or just regular kraken encounter.

It got weirder after I reverted to VAB. Everything started acting weird, I can't describe all of it with words so here's a screenshot. When I tried to deattach a part, it worked, but I couldn't attach it. The attachment node thing just vanished. When I tried to attach it radially, it didn't work. I had to restart KSP and build a new rocket. I wish I still had the craft file... but I overwrote it when trying to build the new one.

pn54PEg.png

On 10/17/2022 at 7:02 AM, ColdJ said:
On 10/17/2022 at 6:44 AM, Caerfinon said:

"Samples are the things I take
Driving on the Mun
I hope my wheels don't break 
Driving on the Mun
We can scan forever
Driving on the Mun
We could scan together
Driving on, driving on the Mun"

Expand  

Some may say, I'm modding my days away,
No way, and if it's the game I play.
Some say, tomorrow's another day
You stay, Off to the Mun today.

:D

I guess I'm always hoping that you'll end this game
But it's my destiny to be the king of pain

Jeb's a little black spot on the sun today
(That's my soul up there)
It's the same old thing as yesterday
There's a helmet caught in a high tree top
There's no delta-V and the flames won't stop

:sticktongue:

Testing some of the fixed craft i have. 

SuxPgju.png

Started with a fully fueled scout ship in low duna orbit.  It has chutes but i wanted to see if it was possible to do the entire journey without chutes so i didnt bother usin em, just wasted fuel burning down.

BhL7x73.png

Drove the Dragon around duna a bit more and i have to say that it handles phenomenally on Duna, better even then the Talon class agressive recon vehicle (the 2 outrigger wheels tend to be really bouncy due to broken spring physics).  Anyways, drove it 4km at a average speed of 15m/s (x2 time accel so it didnt take much time) since it started in a spot that was just too hilly to reliably land the lander in.  Its passability is what id say average, can handle the smaller rocks (and the flat plate ones) like it was nothing (just bounces up some), and is agile enough to just evade the larger fields (just need to plan a route that avoids those as trying to go through the large clusters is just makes you wanna tear your hair out provided the vehicle doesnt get stuck in which case F9 spam ensues).  the mid size rocks that are bumpier can be traversed if you need to but they tend to send the craft a bit too airborne for the kerbals liking which sometimes fall otu of their chairs if the bump is too much.

ZWGCMrU.png

Took off fine, even though its dragging just over 8 tons into orbit with it.

4JCF6Ti.png

Aerobraking around Kerbin, which was the ONLY way i could achieve a useful orbit afterwards.  I initially wanted to go straight to the Mun, but the dV requirements to land, especially since i was a bit of an idiot and forgot to disable the fuel cells (i lost around 500m/s of high TWR aerospikes for the final burn which all went poof after a time warp with the cells engaged).  At least the cool part was this thing's ability to aerobrake without exploding at moderate velocites (i have heating to 120% on all my saves as 100 is a bit too "weak" for my taste except on Eve where 100% is bloody hard).

myESK3J.png

So yeah, i'm stuck in a highly ecliptic orbit, and the ONLY place that i could go to at this point being Minmus (no friendly fuel tankers and im NOT stealing fuel from any of the 3 AKS warships in orbit around kerbin as they are all low at this point and need every drop).

6UTMVmV.png

Landing was easy, didnt even need the aerospikes as 3 TWR with a single nuke.  This thing is very practical actually, enough dV to transport a moderately sized vehicle, good combination of super high TWR but a short burn (landing/takeoffs only), aerobraking capability (although somehow the back of the turret did indeed fry during the Kerbin braking), long range using just the NTR and ofc IRSU capability which while slow (just a single of the small converters and 2 small drills), is at least enough to fully refuel this thing in around 3 days on Duna (not sure how many Kerbin hours that is).

Really the only thing i dont like about this craft is how it performs in atmosphere, no way to occlude the payload and its both draggy and has a tendency to flip front towards the ground.  Parachutes help with this, but its always a small risk that i wont be able to right it before touching teh ground when attempting to land on Kerbin for instance.  It does actually land there fine btw, just cant take off again as there is no way im making this thing SSTO capable (it just cant be done with stock aerodynamics).

I've been on a bit of a KerbalX upload spree. I've uploaded some old stuff and new stuff. Some highlights include:
52438258726_25540f59ca_o.png
Saturn Ares Heavy, a heavy lifter made from BDB's Saturn parts.
https://kerbalx.com/ManateeAerospace/Saturn-Ares-Heavy-Block-IA
52438717549_0fbe57d0a0_o.png
Archimedes IB, one of the first spacecraft I made since reinstalling a few months back.
https://kerbalx.com/ManateeAerospace/Archimedes-IB
52438090737_d8e0c18b75_o.png
Herakles Orion, a Titan/LDC-derived rocket with an Orion spacecraft on top.
https://kerbalx.com/ManateeAerospace/Herakles-Orion
52439171222_a952105a7a_o.png
T03, a heavy variant of my earlier T01.
https://kerbalx.com/ManateeAerospace/T03
52440005770_97b8eec0bb_o.png
The Longcat, a...very odd rover.
https://kerbalx.com/ManateeAerospace/Longcat

Picking up some new 'volunteers' from Kerbin orbit and putting new recruits through basic training while I wait for the Duna launch window, I don't like timewarping more than a few days.

I've been chugging away at my dashboard script. I figured out all the science lab related stuff. My dashboard already showed a warning whenever a lab was full of science. Now it will also show a message when there is an experiment stored on the vessel that will fit in a lab. Was pretty complicated to get it to work, especially for vessels with multiple occupied labs.

After running the script my dashboard said I could load data on my Kerbin station. I switched to it and saw its only lab was at 739/750 data, so I figured there was a bug in the script. Checked all the experiments stored in the lab but sure enough everything was either worth 0 data or 150+. Back to the script, checking intermediate results... hmm, there should be some EVA report worth 10 data on the station. Checking in-game again, this time going along all the various (many!) cabins that can store experiments and sure enough, an EVA report from space high over Kerbin in one of the last tourist modules I checked, where I never store experiments. Must have ended up there when I used the door after an EVA. Script works!

More JNSQ play....

Deep Space Lander - 5 (unmanned) in an elliptical orbit over Moho, about to do its final circularizing burn down to 20k. I don't see how to do a manned mission to Moho unless I build something really, really big in orbit- this one took off with 19k vac Dv, that was as much as I could manage without at least orbital refuelling.

mDeMHx4.png

DSL - 5 landed in Moho's midlands, all the nice sciency bits are in the cargo bay.

Nu9z0qk.jpg

And Deep Space Transport - 3 on its homeward circularizing burn after returning from a manned mission to Gilly.

ykJrSnE.jpg

Sent a crew of two newbies on their first spaceflight- to the Moon! They’re holed up in a brand new station to wait for the landing site to be directly under their orbit, at which point one of them gets to go down to the surface and test out a new mini-rover, and complete some valuable contracts in the process!

A little orbital construction project... 

The transport probe is positioning the hydroponics module into position

fMIYRVm.png

Carefully approaching the docking port

UGHalkQ.png

After securing the new module the transport decouples and deorbits to the recovery zone 

96JXRHa.png

Station core and new module are fused into one as the docking ports that joined them are compressed forming a solid bond. The beginnings of a new jump off point for the Mun and beyond.

tgGQDU9.png 

At least four more launches until phase one of the structure is complete and the first crew can come aboard. 

On 10/19/2022 at 4:50 AM, panzer1b said:

since i was a bit of an idiot and forgot to disable the fuel cells (i lost around 500m/s of high TWR aerospikes for the final burn which all went poof after a time warp with the cells engaged

It shouldn't... fuel cells should stop when the ship gets to 95% charge. Unless you were going through day/ night cycles in orbit while running a lab.

On 10/19/2022 at 3:17 PM, Beamer said:

I've been chugging away at my dashboard script. I figured out all the science lab related stuff.

I've been using the KAC alarm when a science lab gets full.  It would be nice to have a mod that just automates the whole lab. I wish it automatically leveled up Kerbals too so I don't forget. 

I just uploaded 3 labs, 1500 science, and I'm converting it all to reputation. It went from 967.15 to 967.23 (shown in the cheat menu) That's not a good exchange rate! You'd think I'd just stop this pointless grind... but no. 

5 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

It shouldn't... fuel cells should stop when the ship gets to 95% charge. Unless you were going through day/ night cycles in orbit while running a lab.

I've been using the KAC alarm when a science lab gets full.  It would be nice to have a mod that just automates the whole lab. I wish it automatically leveled up Kerbals too so I don't forget. 

I just uploaded 3 labs, 1500 science, and I'm converting it all to reputation. It went from 967.15 to 967.23 (shown in the cheat menu) That's not a good exchange rate! You'd think I'd just stop this pointless grind... but no. 

I do the same, since I'm maxed on science and want to hit that 100 rep. A full lab gets you 10 rep points (to be precise, 48.5 science gets you 1 point and it's rounded, so as soon as your lab is at 9.5*48.5=461 points you can download it for the full 10 rep). Rep points scale down hard the closer you get to 100 though, so those 10 points will only add a small fraction to your rep. Still, many small ones make a big one, in the end :)

2 hours ago, Kerbal123_Furry said:

Maneuvers are truly useful in interplanetary transfer but 0.17 have no maneuver.

Ah for the olden days, right? There's so much stuff like that that the modern KSP player takes for granted. I jumped on in 0.18; how y'all ever managed to get along without maneuver nodes I can't fathom to this day. Saw Scott Manley head for the Mun back then without nodes - he wound up crashing into the surface, IIRC...

57 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

Ah for the olden days, right? There's so much stuff like that that the modern KSP player takes for granted. I jumped on in 0.18; how y'all ever managed to get along without maneuver nodes I can't fathom to this day. Saw Scott Manley head for the Mun back then without nodes - he wound up crashing into the surface, IIRC...

Its easy, Very EZ.

Learn space station docking then redo it on kerbol orbit.

Also try this to calculate the phase angle.

Interactive Illustrated Interplanetary Guide and Calculator for KSP (olex.biz)

First wait until phase angle is ok.

then align your spacecraft's apoapsis/periapsis to the target's orbit.

what's more, rotate your map view camera until your orbit and target orbit turn into two lines.

find the crossing, this is the ascending/descending node, aim your space craft at south or north and accelerate on it , align the inclination.

then you might get an encounter.

if not then timewarp to the place your spacecraft's orbit meet the target's,then check your  target's position.

If its on your retrograde then accelerate prograde or retrograde to enter a  orbit which is a little higher than target in one side and the other side still very near the victim. If its on your prograde then accelerate prograde or retrograde to enter a  orbit which is a little lower than target in one side and the other side still very near the victim.

screenshot247.png

Kinda like this.

ask me if have questions.

Enjoyed Sunrise in a prop-plane

IFRCalA.png

(Plane is unintenionally pure stock and fuelcell powered (even with my heavy modded install), visuals Spectra & Scatterer )

This is the green baron :D

Edited by Rakete